Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Restricted free agent Markkanen, Olynyk, Montrez, you can add to the list of players that would help our team. Also Maybe Spurs do not need to spend this summer. Save millions and plan for a big splash next summer and the eventual money you have to pay the young guys. With the pandemic, I imagine budgeting for the future has become a big priority as well.
    just a heads up: this is a Chinook trigger. but i do like the idea of markkanen. one thing we know for certain is that the spurs are in dire need of spacing and this means they need consistent three point threats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, that doesn't guarantee anything either. The Kings went from the cheapskate Maloof family, almost being moved to Seattle, the NBA blocking the move then finding a suitor that would keep them in Sacramento, getting new everything and they still suck.

The team needs to keep drafting well, somehow find a superstar and hope/pray that another coach/GM duo surrounds them with enough talent to win.
    That's a good point as well. We are basically in a similar market to the Kings, who can't attract FAs until we actually have a decent team on the cusp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just a heads up: this is a Chinook trigger. but i do like the idea of markkanen. one thing we know for certain is that the spurs are in dire need of spacing and this means they need consistent three point threats.
    I'm not "triggered" by like Markkannen. My issue was with folks trying to moneyball their big free-agent signing. If they think Collins is the best PF on the market, and he is able to be had, then you sign Collins, even if he costs more. Thinking, "Collins isn't worth the max -- he's only worth like $22 Million a year. So we'll just pick up Mark for $18 Million a year to get better value even though he's not as good" is a loser move. But if Lauri is who the FO wants or (what is way more likely) Collins isn't available for any price, then signing Markkannen is fine. But the Spurs need a talent infusion more than anything else. Their goal in free agency should be to get the most talented players that they can, not to get the best "bang for their buck".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Side topic : But does this move show a deeper financial problem that ownership has? They were looking at VC/PE buying the group within the last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not "triggered" by like Markkannen. My issue was with folks trying to moneyball their big free-agent signing. If they think Collins is the best PF on the market, and he is able to be had, then you sign Collins, even if he costs more. Thinking, "Collins isn't worth the max -- he's only worth like $22 Million a year. So we'll just pick up Mark for $18 Million a year to get better value even though he's not as good" is a loser move. But if Lauri is who the FO wants or (what is way more likely) Collins isn't available for any price, then signing Markkannen is fine. But the Spurs need a talent infusion more than anything else. Their goal in free agency should be to get the most talented players that they can, not to get the best "bang for their buck".
    i was referring to the bolded part of the text:
    Cap space only matters insofar as it relates to opportunity cost, and having $10 Million in cap space lying around is basically irrelevant to rebuilding.
    A lot of people seem to want the Spurs to run like they're a household. There's no upside to saving cap space.

and while the spurs do need a talent infusion, collins may be the only available FA that fits that description. i doubt he lands here, in which case the spurs will have to address needs.
    Last edited by rjv; 03-26-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need to worry more about fit than talent. It's not that collins is a "better" basketball player than Lauri its that the way Collins plays basketball is a better fit for this team than the way Lauri plays.

Demar has high level basketball talent but he is an exceptionally poor fit on a team where we got 3 guards who prefer to drive and kick, meaning we need somebody to stand on the perimeter to catch and shoot...and you know who HATES to catch and shoot...Derozan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need to worry more about fit than talent. It's not that collins is a "better" basketball player than Lauri its that the way Collins plays basketball is a better fit for this team than the way Lauri plays.

Demar has high level basketball talent but he is an exceptionally poor fit on a team where we got 3 guards who prefer to drive and kick, meaning we need somebody to stand on the perimeter to catch and shoot...and you know who HATES to catch and shoot...Derozan
    They don't need to worry about fit. There's no one on the roster right now who's good enough to direct talent flow. DeRozan is the only one with a chance, but he's too flawed and might be too old. You certainly don't worry about guys like Murray, White, Walker or Johnson when it comes to a max free agent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't need to worry about fit. There's no one on the roster right now who's good enough to direct talent flow. DeRozan is the only one with a chance, but he's too flawed and might be too old. You certainly don't worry about guys like Murray, White, Walker or Johnson when it comes to a max free agent.
    Outside of obviously Kawhi, and if we were just filling the team for talent sake and ignoring positions, my number one guy would be Jrue Holiday. Have no problem maxing him out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree in theory. In reality, they've already committed to Murray, Poeltl and White, Johnson seems well on his way (probably Vassell too and the book isn't closed on Walker IV and Samanic) and as we all know, they have an extreme aversion to trades.

I can't imagine them going for a pure talent grab irrespective of fit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree in theory. In reality, they've already committed to Murray, Poeltl and White, Johnson seems well on his way (probably Vassell too and the book isn't closed on Walker IV and Samanic) and as we all know, they have an extreme aversion to trades.

I can't imagine them going for a pure talent grab irrespective of fit.
    I tend to agree but i'm not sure about poetl. With what you said about the fit they will be crazy to don't try collins and markannen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just wondering who are they spending the 50 million on? I assume a lot of y'all haven't seen the 2021 FA class. My money is still on the Spurs reupping DeRozan, Mills and Gay and maybe adding 1 back up big

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that’s understandable but to counter shrewd budget signings are what allow teams to get the “real talent”. Has to be a balance and ultimately the player has to want to come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just wondering who are they spending the 50 million on? I assume a lot of y'all haven't seen the 2021 FA class. My money is still on the Spurs reupping DeRozan, Mills and Gay and maybe adding 1 back up big

I know the Spurs would re-up at least one of those guys.

My guys from free agency:

Jrue Holiday
    Evan Fournier
    Tony Snell
    Spencer Dinwiddie
    Norman Powell
    Duncan Robinson
    Talen Horton Tucker

Maybe some more if I watched the other guys, but haven't had time to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whoever the spurms fo get, the player wont be getting any minutes anyway

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Assuming we don't trade anyone away (seems like a safe assumption), I want a backup center and then 2 or 3 guys that shoot over 40% from 3...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, I think some players that we don't know are going to be available.

ATL is going to have a problem being hard capped after maxing Collins.

I know people don't think the Spurs make trades and that's fair. But I think during the offseason it's different.

Nabbing someone like Bogi to give some team cap relief would be a nice acquisition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the Spurs would re-up at least one of those guys.

My guys from free agency:

Jrue Holiday
    Evan Fournier
    Tony Snell
    Spencer Dinwiddie
    Norman Powell
    Duncan Robinson
    Talen Horton Tucker

Maybe some more if I watched the other guys, but haven't had time to.
    I don't see how any rotation guards make sense on this team, we have plenty. Mine are:

Collins (very unlikely due to the reports that came out recently)
    Richaun Holmes
    Jarrett Allen
    Duncan Robinson
    Markkanen
    Harry Giles (3rd stringer)
    Daniel Theis (back up C)

other than that there are either players on the wrong side of 30 or G-League players available. I really don't see how this team will get better next season unless they get a DeRozan sign and trade done. They should also be super serious about moving up in the draft. Maybe there are some players in Europe worth taking a look at.
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 03-27-2021 at 10:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how any rotation guards make sense on this team, we have plenty. THT we can't sign cause he's a RFA in the West, only East teams can make offers. Mine are:

Collins (very unlikely due to the reports that came out recently)
    Richaun Holmes
    Jarrett Allen
    Duncan Robinson
    Markkanen
    Harry Giles (3rd stringer)
    Daniel Theis (back up C)

other than that there are either players on the wrong side of 30 or G-League players available. I really don't see how this team will get better next season unless they get a DeRozan sign and trade done. They should also be super serious about moving up in the draft. Maybe there are some players in Europe worth taking a look at.
    The is that rule? Wow. So crazy I've never heard of it.

I wish I had a resource to find out which Euro players are doing good right now and also want to come to the NBA.

See, my thing with acquiring a big is that I don't want to spend too much on it. I think bigs with a three point shot can easily be found in the dirt. We don't need to spend too much on that, especially when it doesn't need to be a starting C. We just need someone good enough to be a backup big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The is that rule? Wow. So crazy I've never heard of it.

I wish I had a resource to find out which Euro players are doing good right now and also want to come to the NBA.

See, my thing with acquiring a big is that I don't want to spend too much on it. I think bigs with a three point shot can easily be found in the dirt. We don't need to spend too much on that, especially when it doesn't need to be a starting C. We just need someone good enough to be a backup big.
    true I'm just curious how to improve the roster? Like this team ain't good enough at any position. PF is obviously the biggest problem, but other than Collins and Markkanen there ain't much to add

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true I'm just curious how to improve the roster? Like this team ain't good enough at any position. PF is obviously the biggest problem, but other than Collins and Markkanen there ain't much to add
    Honestly,

Guards WITH talent are abundant in this league.

Above average PF's aren't. They're super rare. I'd rather recycle through cheap bigs every year and keep drafting high upside guys (just like Samanic) until we find one that blows up. We don't want to be stuck with a Lyles-type big that we're overpaying over $20 mil.

This is why I'm okay with investing in more guards or wings (preferably wing). We need guys who have gravity on offense, and that's usually your guards. Lacking that right now, but maybe someone on the team puts in the work to make the leap for next season. Murray has the speed to do it. Keldon needs a shot and playmaking vision to do it, otherwise he's already pretty damn good at driving to the basket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly,

Guards WITH talent are abundant in this league.

Above average PF's aren't. They're super rare. I'd rather recycle through cheap bigs every year and keep drafting high upside guys (just like Samanic) until we find one that blows up. We don't want to be stuck with a Lyles-type big that we're overpaying over $20 mil.

This is why I'm okay with investing in more guards or wings (preferably wing). We need guys who have gravity on offense, and that's usually your guards. Lacking that right now, but maybe someone on the team puts in the work to make the leap for next season. Murray has the speed to do it. Keldon needs a shot and playmaking vision to do it, otherwise he's already pretty damn good at driving to the basket.
    I mean Murray and White are fine, they just need to shoot about 4% better from 3. The issue with the team is forwards and back up big men. We just lack size. But yeah, the type of players we need are super rare right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean Murray and White are fine, they just need to shoot about 4% better from 3. The issue with the team is forwards and back up big men. We just lack size. But yeah, the type of players we need are super rare right now
    Yup, can't count how many times our offense/defense falls apart when we have Eubanks out there. Dude makes the dumbest mistakes. Man, if Luka can make gigantic leaps like I think he can then it solves all of our problems.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course you do, because they are the ones with multi year contracts. And that depends on what a "max free agent is"

I actually think that if its a "max free agent" that doesnt fit with murray white and keldon the spurs probably won't be very interested in them. Sort of like how LMA didn't fit with them and the spurs were fine letting him go home. Derozan doesn't really fit with them either and i am very sure he won't be back next year either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG
    Dejounte Murray
    Patty Mills
    Tre Jones
    *Quinndary Weatherspoon

SG / Wing
    Derrick White
    Devin Vassell
    *Cam Reynolds
    Lonnie Walker

Big Wing
    DeMar DeRozan
    Keldon Johnson
    Keita Bates Diop

Stretch Big
    Rudy Gay
    Luka Samanic
    *Trey Lyles

Anchor Big
    Jakob Poeltl
    Drew Eubanks
    *Marquese Chriss

*Low odds of being here next season

If Mills leaves, there's room for us to sign a PG to take his minutes. Maybe Kyle Lowry if it isn't too expensive and DeMar is here to stay? If not Kyle, then one of Dennis Schroder, Kris Dunn, or Frank Ntilikina.

If DeMar leaves, then Keldon is promoted to a starter and backup Big Wing is a need. Maybe that's where Cam Reynolds earns his real contract with the Spurs and they play it cheap with KBD backing Keldon up. Or they could sign Tony Snell, Evan Fournier, Otto Porter Jr., Doug McDermott, Nicholas Batum for this spot. I think the latter is more likely since we need to use up the cap space.

If DeMar is gone, I can see Luka being promoted as the starter. Lyles is definitely gone. If Rudy is gone too, that would make this position extremely weak. I think this is where you ideally invest your first round pick for high upside prospects. Then, since the free agent market is poor, maybe find an international player to add depth here.

Lastly, if Marquese Chriss isn't the answer to be our backup C then start digging up the bargain bin for a C. It shouldn't be that hard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Depth Chart, assuming Mills & DeMar both leave:

PG
    Dejounte Murray
    Kris Dunn
    Tre Jones

SG / Wing
    Derrick White
    Devin Vassell
    Lonnie Walker

Big Wing
    Keldon Johnson
    Evan Fournier
    Keita Bates Diop - two way contract

Stretch Big
    Luka Samanic
    Rudy Gay
    International Player - Dinos Mitoglou?
    2021 First Round Pick

Anchor Big
    Jakob Poeltl
    +Bargain Bin Back-up Center
    Drew Eubanks
    2021 Second Round Pick - two way contract
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-26-2021 at 08:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After the trade they made at the deadline, need to consider the fact the Spurs may not sign anyone of note and just get to the salary cap floor.

Thread Information