Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To explain the latest edit, I'll repost this comment from a different thread:

Hollinger was in an NBA front office not too long ago so his info should be good. Aldridge's buyout math went off track because Woj decided to use a post-escrow number for an unknown reason (no one uses post-escrow numbers, tbh). He also worded it weird.

That makes it sound like the Spurs paid Aldridge $5.8 million to settle the amount owed to him. That's how Bobby Marks interpreted it...

Also, Bobby Marks didn't use post-escrow numbers.

So, back to square one, if the Spurs still owed Aldridge $8.5 million, it's now sounding like Aldridge only asked for $1.25 million more in the buyout, which left the Spurs will $7.25 million. If that's the case, the Spurs could have had ~$6.4 million in salary cap space after the Aldridge buyout and before the Dieng signing.

If you want to translate those numbers to post-escrow, Aldridge was owed $6.8 million and asked for exactly $1 million in the buyout, which left the $5.8 million that Woj referenced. That $1 million is such a round number that now I'm thinking this is what really happened

Pop: "Sorry to see you go, LA. How much do you want in your buyout?"
    Aldridge: "Since you guaranteed my contract when you didn't have to, give me a million and we'll call it even."
    Ha, it seems that loyalty, honour and reputation does translate into something tangible. Good to see the Spurs making good after a few botched FO transactions lately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the max character limit for thread les?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So, back to square one, if the Spurs still owed Aldridge $8.5 million, it's now sounding like Aldridge only asked for $1.25 million more in the buyout, which left the Spurs will $7.25 million. If that's the case, the Spurs could have had ~$6.4 million in salary cap space after the Aldridge buyout and before the Dieng signing.

If you want to translate those numbers to post-escrow, Aldridge was owed $6.8 million and asked for exactly $1 million in the buyout, which left the $5.8 million that Woj referenced. That $1 million is such a round number that now I'm thinking this is what really happened

Aldridge: "Since you guaranteed my contract when you didn't have to, give me a million and we'll call it even."
    So then Aldridge actually did the Spurs a solid? No only by leaving but by not demanding much. Finally someone who doesn't completely screw this team over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs and Aldridge probably had an agreement set out that conditioned in his last year if things were not going as planned and a trade couldn't work that met certain conditions a buyout would be agreed upon. Aldridge still got a nice fat paycheck for his services this year and last year and now he is straight ring chasing for his legacy on his last legs of basketball. Might even see a retirement contingent on winning a trophy this year. I'm sure going through shoulder surgery, and a hip injury at this age and having to defend in today's NBA took their toll. Persistence by the Spurs front office seemed to have been rewarded with Aldridge in the end.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice work.

Minor nitpick: you mean $6.4M below the tax, not cap space, right? And the Spurs only had that much due to not using all of the MLE last offseason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice work.

Minor nitpick: you mean $6.4M below the tax, not cap space, right?
    Yeah, good point. I'll fix. Thanks.

And the Spurs only had that much due to not using all of the MLE last offseason?
    Yeah. If the Spurs had used the entire MLE, Aldridge's buyout would have brought them back down to right around the threshold.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hollinger was in an NBA front office not too long ago so his info should be good. Aldridge's buyout math went off track because Woj decided to use a post-escrow number for an unknown reason (no one uses post-escrow numbers, tbh). He also worded it weird.

That makes it sound like the Spurs paid Aldridge $5.8 million to settle the amount owed to him. That's how Bobby Marks interpreted it...

Also, Bobby Marks didn't use post-escrow numbers.

So, back to square one, if the Spurs still owed Aldridge $8.5 million, it's now sounding like Aldridge only asked for $1.25 million more in the buyout, which left the Spurs will $7.25 million. If that's the case, the Spurs could have had ~$6.4 million in room below the luxury tax threshold after the Aldridge buyout and before the Dieng signing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thread le is hilarious. Lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So can we like erase most of this thread and go back to where we were all giving handies to LMA's memory? As I said in another thread, the implications are immense for how it could affect the Spurs' potential roster moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice work.

Minor nitpick: you mean $6.4M below the tax, not cap space, right? And the Spurs only had that much due to not using all of the MLE last offseason?
    He might've gotten tripped up because I've been using the term "salary space" to refer to room under the tax/Spurs budget in that rabbit hole of a thread.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    7.25 million

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

Lol..."i was gonna go to miami, but brooklyn is probably gonna win the le so i went there"

Riley getting cucked by LMA and the Raptors and then not getting Dieng

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lol..."i was gonna go to miami, but brooklyn is probably gonna win the le so i went there"

Riley getting cucked by LMA and the Raptors and then not getting Dieng
    tried to screw over the Spurs and instead screwed over himself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with LMA doing the spurs a favor with the buyout, i'm glad things worked out the way they did. especially him signing with nets instead of joining a team that was unwilling to work with us to trade for Aldridge. So i hope the Nets do make the finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over/under on when the next edit will be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently there isn't one?

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    with LMA doing the spurs a favor with the buyout, i'm glad things worked out the way they did. especially him signing with nets instead of joining a team that was unwilling to work with us to trade for Aldridge. So i hope the Nets do make the finals.
    that tbh. I hope the Nets crash and burn only because their big three are the most annoying players in the league.

KD = softest, most pussy "superstar" in history, most anti-compe ive player of all time
    Kyrie = giant , massive complex, huge narcissist's, speaks in parables and thinks the world is flat. burning sage before games? lmao. jackass all around
    Harden = need i say more?

them tbh. only team i loathe more is Nephew's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that tbh. I hope the Nets crash and burn only because their big three are the most annoying players in the league.

KD = softest, most pussy "superstar" in history, most anti-compe ive player of all time
    Kyrie = giant , massive complex, huge narcissist's, speaks in parables and thinks the world is flat. burning sage before games? lmao. jackass all around
    Harden = need i say more?

them tbh. only team i loathe more is Nephew's

the Lakers more tbh, but I agree with your sentiment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you, Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you, Aldridge.
    Not my money and doesn’t change our NBA outlook as Spurs but easier to cheer him on now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It kinda feels like there was a gentleman’s agreement going back to when they guaranteed his last contract year.

“Look, we’re gonna guarantee you; you’ll get ~16M by around the trade deadline which is more than you’d gotten in open market; if we keep you we keep you and you get the other 8M; if you want to be released for whatever reason the expectation is you give most of that 8M back”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It kinda feels like there was a gentleman’s agreement going back to when they guaranteed his last contract year.

“Look, we’re gonna guarantee you; you’ll get ~16M by around the trade deadline which is more than you’d gotten in open market; if we keep you we keep you and you get the other 8M; if you want to be released for whatever reason the expectation is you give most of that 8M back”
    Sounds like it could have gone down that way, but do you think Aldridge would have agreed to that beforehand? If so, I guess I give him props for doing the Spurs a solid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA’s post game is a thing of beauty. The wet fart odor he left is gone. I hope he gets a ring despite the other bums on the Nets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice to know woj has an actual in the armor

Thread Information