Page 105 of 171 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how many people here watch interviews of future prospects but for me it can be a huge swing factor for determining what prospects the Spurs may go after.

James Bouknight Combine Interview:

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/video...bine-interview

He doesn't lack for confidence, I'll give him that...

If you watch this in its entirety, I'd be very interested if you think this guy sounds like Spurs material.
    IMHO, Jalen Johnson would have more of a chance getting drafted by us than this guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed! I'm not especially high on Kuzma or Harrell, but both are on very reasonable & short contracts, and both could be pieces in future trades.
    Yeah if we were to do that I would sit each one down and say I know you don't want to be here so were going to give you every opportunity to play and do well and then we going to trade your ass for some picks..lol.....If your good will try to get you close to where you want.

But serious we should do that neither play will want to stay with SA so take a page out of OK and get some value in trading them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year on why Vassell stood out in Brian Wright's words: "He is a 3-level scorer and he's a good defender."

If the Spurs continue last year's trend and select a player based on this criteria, you basically have the following players: Moody, Bouknight, Wagner, Duarte. So if I was a betting man, I'd put money on one of those players being drafted.

Players who are out and why:

-Kispert - not really a scorer from mid-range & not a reputable defender
    -Usman Garuba - for obvious reasons
    -Keon & Springer - shot profile consists mostly of mid-range shots
    -Kai Jones - not a mid-range scorer, hardly a 3 pt shooter
    -Giddey - Poor defender, work-in-progress shooter

Obviously, this is all speculation and they could go a different route.
    My guess is the three-way scorer is less important to the team than switchability on defense and great helpside defense, which allows a lot of overlap trying to contain the bonkers play style the NBA permits nowadays. As for three-way scoring, I'm unsure about Moody in the midrange, Bouknight is a bad three point shooter, Wagner does not have a midrange, etc.

I feel that the team needs playmaking and wing support. The only playmaker on the team is White, when he's not injured, and I don't feel great about either Keldon or Samanac on the wings. Ergo I still have Giddey and Keon Johnson on the board, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how many people here watch interviews of future prospects but for me it can be a huge swing factor for determining what prospects the Spurs may go after.

James Bouknight Combine Interview:

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/video...bine-interview

He doesn't lack for confidence, I'll give him that...

If you watch this in its entirety, I'd be very interested if you think this guy sounds like Spurs material.
    IMHO, Jalen Johnson would have more of a chance getting drafted by us than this guy.
    You're absolutely right. I was high on this guy in the beginning, but personality-wise and what the Spurs usually go for-- it just might not be a fit.

That doesn't takeaway from his talent, I think he's got what it takes to be a star in this league.

I'd say the difference between him and Jalen is that Bouknight comes across as y about his abilities, whilst Jalen sounds selfish and is all about getting what's his. That's my read on things, purely my opinion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year on why Vassell stood out in Brian Wright's words: "He is a 3-level scorer and he's a good defender."

If the Spurs continue last year's trend and select a player based on this criteria, you basically have the following players: Moody, Bouknight, Wagner, Duarte. So if I was a betting man, I'd put money on one of those players being drafted.

Players who are out and why:

-Kispert - not really a scorer from mid-range & not a reputable defender
    -Usman Garuba - for obvious reasons
    -Keon & Springer - shot profile consists mostly of mid-range shots
    -Kai Jones - not a mid-range scorer, hardly a 3 pt shooter
    -Giddey - Poor defender, work-in-progress shooter
    -Sengun & Jalen Johnson - Weak perimeter defender

Obviously, this is all speculation and they could go a different route.
    If we draft any of the bold four players I am good if they not available I am Captain trade down...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is the three-way scorer is less important to the team than switchability on defense and great helpside defense, which allows a lot of overlap trying to contain the bonkers play style the NBA permits nowadays. As for three-way scoring, I'm unsure about Moody in the midrange, Bouknight is a bad three point shooter, Wagner does not have a midrange, etc.

I feel that the team needs playmaking and wing support. The only playmaker on the team is White, when he's not injured, and I don't feel great about either Keldon or Samanac on the wings. Ergo I still have Giddey and Keon Johnson on the board, for example.
    Let's look--

Bouknight:
    65.8% close range - 79 attempts
    36.9% mid-range - 65 attempts
    29.3% 3's - 75 attempts

Wagner:
    67.7% close-range - 93 attempts
    40% mid-range - 65 attempts
    34.3% 3's - 102 attempts

Moody:
    56.1% close range - 107 attempts
    40.5% mid-range - 111 attempts
    36.5% 3's - 156 attempts

Usage plays a factor here. I don't necessarily think Bouk is a bad 3 point shooter; it's like buying stocks on what you think are good investments, and I think his shooting form is something I'd buy stocks in.

Moody is okay in the mid-range, as well as Wagner.

Duarte:
    70% on close range - 90 attempts (holy !)
    53.7% on mid-range - 67 attempts
    42.4% on 3's - 144 attempts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's look--

Bouknight:
    29.3% 3's - 75 attempts

Wagner:
    34.3% 3's - 102 attempts

Moody:
    36.5% 3's - 156 attempts

Usage plays a factor here. I don't necessarily think Bouk is a bad 3 point shooter; it's like buying stocks on what you think are good investments, and I think his shooting form is something I'd buy stocks in.

Duarte:
    When we talk about mid-range, I think we mean someone who can manufacture those shots, a la DeRozan, not someone who takes standstill midrange shots. I'm not sure Wagner does that, not that I remember seeing, but also he doesn't need to do that. Bouknight does have a pretty bad 3-point shot at this point. It's inconsistent and messy. Duarte clearly is a gerat shooter and is not given credit as such.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If not Sengun (with their luck, he'll rise late and be gone) or Wagner (long projected to be gone when they pick), who could you envision the Spurs selecting?

Despite the continued unflattering reports and innuendo, Jalen Johnson is the only other candidate I got and he's a maybe.
    In thst scenario with Wagner and Sengun gone I think they look very hard at Moody for the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When we talk about mid-range, I think we mean someone who can manufacture those shots, a la DeRozan, not someone who takes standstill midrange shots. I'm not sure Wagner does that, not that I remember seeing, but also he doesn't need to do that. Bouknight does have a pretty bad 3-point shot at this point. It's inconsistent and messy. Duarte clearly is a gerat shooter and is not given credit as such.
    Of these four, Duarte and Bouknight are the best shot creators. Those types definitely hold a lot of value, as we've seen in these playoffs when no one can buy a shot. It is that reason why I'm higher on Duarte than most. DeMar will leave a big hole if/when he leaves. I mean, there was already a hole (for shot creation) even when he was on the team.

Lonnie attempted to fill it... but oh so inconsistent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're absolutely right. I was high on this guy in the beginning, but personality-wise and what the Spurs usually go for-- it just might not be a fit.

That doesn't takeaway from his talent, I think he's got what it takes to be a star in this league.

I'd say the difference between him and Jalen is that Bouknight comes across as y about his abilities, whilst Jalen sounds selfish and is all about getting what's his. That's my read on things, purely my opinion.
    I agree, to an extent in a "hyped for the market" type of player - a Brandon Ingram type if you will...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In thst scenario with Wagner and Sengun gone I think they look very hard at Moody for the pick.
    Moody has much to recommend him, but I keep sticking at how he completely shat the bed during his two games in the tournament, shooting 4-20 and 2-10 and missing all of his 3-point attempts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's continue this exercise...

Kai Jones:
    74.4% close range - 82 attempts
    33.3% mid-range - 27 attempts
    38.2% 3's - 34 attempts

Scottie Barnes
    68.5% close range - 89 attempts
    39.4% mid-range - 66 attempts
    27.5% 3's - 40 attempts

Kispert:
    75.4% close range - 130 attempts (impressive!)
    34.5% mid-range - 58 attempts
    44% 3's - 207 attempts

Ziaire... just awful everywhere
    53.1% close - 49 attempts
    36% mid - 75 attempts
    29.1% 3's - 79 attempts

Tre Mann:
    58.9% close - 73 attempts
    42.9% mid - 105 attempts
    40.2% 3's - 112 attempts

Cunningham:
    62% close - 108 attempts
    33.6% mid - 137 attempts
    40% 3's - 155 attempts

Suggs:
    63.4% close - 153 attempts
    44% mid - 50 attempts
    33.7% 3's - 104 attempts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moody has much to recommend him, but I keep sticking at how he completely shat the bed during his two games in the tournament, shooting 4-20 and 2-10 and missing all of his 3-point attempts.
    See, I don't read too much into poor shooting nights because sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't. My qualm with Moody is, I'm not sure if he's "built" for the moment. He gives me Pandemic P vibes in the way he carries himself, taking an almost passive approach when the team needs him to score. And it's really too bad because he's got all the tools to takeover, but he just looks like he lacks in that mindset.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, to an extent in a "hyped for the market" type of player - a Brandon Ingram type if you will...

This is the guy people say the spurs should have traded kawhi for? Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See, I don't read too much into poor shooting nights because sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't. My qualm with Moody is, I'm not sure if he's "built" for the moment. He gives me Pandemic P vibes in the way he carries himself, taking an almost passive approach when the team needs him to score. And it's really too bad because he's got all the tools to takeover, but he just looks like he lacks in that mindset.
    Passivity is one bad thing, and agree, but in the two most important games of his career, he was terrible. That's not a good sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the guy people say the spurs should have traded kawhi for? Lol
    Ingram is just a bad player. He gets his stats early in games and then wilts like a daisy the rest of the time. He'll get tugged ahead by Zion, who is five times the compe or. Spurs dodged a bullet on a guy who was hyped to a completely undeserved All-Star berth.

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see Trey Murphy being the Spurs pick. It should make a lot of sense, too.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's continue this exercise...

Kai Jones:
    74.4% close range - 82 attempts
    33.3% mid-range - 27 attempts
    38.2% 3's - 34 attempts

Scottie Barnes
    68.5% close range - 89 attempts
    39.4% mid-range - 66 attempts
    27.5% 3's - 40 attempts

Kispert:
    75.4% close range - 130 attempts (impressive!)
    34.5% mid-range - 58 attempts
    44% 3's - 207 attempts

Ziaire... just awful everywhere
    53.1% close - 49 attempts
    36% mid - 75 attempts
    29.1% 3's - 79 attempts

Tre Mann:
    58.9% close - 73 attempts
    42.9% mid - 105 attempts
    40.2% 3's - 112 attempts

Cunningham:
    62% close - 108 attempts
    33.6% mid - 137 attempts
    40% 3's - 155 attempts

Suggs:
    63.4% close - 153 attempts
    44% mid - 50 attempts
    33.7% 3's - 104 attempts
    Nice work. I’m higher on Springer than most, and I see him as a three-level scorer who plays defense, and seems to be a high character Spurs type. Did you find his breakdowns in your research?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice work. I’m higher on Springer than most, and I see him as a three-level scorer who plays defense, and seems to be a high character Spurs type. Did you find his breakdowns in your research?
    ah, I did it awhile back, that’s why I didn’t bother to do it. Here you go:

65.8% close - 76 attempts
    34.9% mid - 106 attempts
    43.5% 3’s - 46 attempts

as I mentioned, a very mid-range heavy shooting archetype. Just not convinced that’s the type the Spurs would go for with the current roster construction, but obviously could be wrong.

Shot profiles don’t drastically change overnight. Yes, Springer could increase the volume he takes 3’s, but usually it’s an indicator of what a player is comfortable doing. There will be a learning curve for Springer to feel comfortable shooting 3s at a higher rate on a consistent basis, and I’m not sure Spurs fans would be that patient about it.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 07-05-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

34.9% mid - 106 attempts
    43.5% 3’s - 46 attempts

as I mentioned, a very mid-range heavy shooting archetype. Just not convinced that’s the type the Spurs would go for with the current roster construction, but obviously could be wrong.

Shot profiles don’t drastically change overnight. Yes, Springer could increase the volume he takes 3’s, but usually it’s an indicator of what a player is comfortable doing. There will be a learning curve for Springer to feel comfortable shooting 3s at a higher rate on a consistent basis, and I’m not sure Spurs fans would be that patient about it.
    The mid range numbers are disappointing. Worse than I thought.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's look--

Bouknight:
    29.3% 3's - 75 attempts

Wagner:
    34.3% 3's - 102 attempts

Moody:
    36.5% 3's - 156 attempts

Duarte:
    I appreciate your added perspective, Dejounte. But that stats are relative based on who are their respective team mates. Some may have ease on doing things mid range or close range based from shooters from the team. Teams usually game plan on bouknight coz there are few threats from the team, hence the difficulty in every shot. Imagine him with white, vassel and dieng at PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate your added perspective, Dejounte. But that stats are relative based on who are their respective team mates. Some may have ease on doing things mid range or close range based from shooters from the team. Teams usually game plan on bouknight coz there are few threats from the team, hence the difficulty in every shot. Imagine him with white, vassel and dieng at PF.
    Agreed, some people will look at FT% as an initial gauge for shooting potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, and that’s why I said usage is a factor. With Bouk, his percentages are skewed because he’s relied on as an ISO scorer. A lot of his shots were off the dribble (aka the most difficult kind), which is just his style. He’s a shot creator through and through. Others might not do as well if their role was the same as Bouk’s. These are the things teams have to account for when projecting a player’s potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, some people will look at FT% as an initial gauge for shooting potential.
    I would say this is accurate. Of everyone mentioned so far, Kai and Scottie Barnes shot reeeeally poorly from the free throw line. Their future shooting outlook doesn’t look good as a result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

34.9% mid - 106 attempts
    43.5% 3’s - 46 attempts

Where are you getting your numbers? I'm looking at this article: https://www.prospectiveinsight.com/p...jaden-springer

They have:
    118 shots in restricted area
    64 shots from midrange
    46 three pointers

Thread Information