Page 119 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough decision for me to classify Samanic. I think he may actually be under the category “Big Wing/ Playmaking Forward” just because he barely has any interior presence and he has more lateral quickness than your typical big. Same for Trey Murphy III.

I went ahead and edited the original post to reflect these changes.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 07-10-2021 at 01:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many sources peg the Spurs as needing bigs, but they're never clear or misunderstand what bigs are needed. We don't need centers that are not stretch-capable and even then it's not an area of priority.

The Spurs need: defensive size/athleticism at the 3-4 who can shoot, shooters in general, and playmakers. The only playmaker on the squad is Derrick White, by which I mean a guy who can see the floor outside of mechanical sets. Murray is on the Parker track -- not a natural playmaker, but learning where guys will be and can certainly run those. Manu was able to rip defenses up because he was a natural playmaker.

I don't really know who a stretch-four is in this draft. Mostly there are stretch-fives, but then these categories are difficult to cement nowadays. Samanic has some stretch 3/4 capability, but 1) we need a bruiser type who can corral rebounds, 2) he's not trustworthy (yet). I think Poeltl's fine, but he does reduce what is possible with the rest of the lineup. I think Eubanks is very serviceable as a backup big and is flashing some jumpshooting ability. I don't expect Dieng to stay. Something about not actually playing the dude when you sign him.

So... for that stretch three-four, a guy like Trey Murphy is very interesting. I don't think he's worth the #12, however, and know he'll be gone by our 2nd round pick. He's a very tall and long 3-and-D type who unfortunately is a bad rebounder.

There is some possibility of Sengun becoming that stretch-four and I actually think he will. Barring those choices, it's not really clear who is there at #12 that helps, which is why I'm looking at guys like Giddey (playmaking) and Kispert (shooting) instead.

EDIT: I had been going away from Wagner due to Samanic overlap, but he's also that stretch power wing that might work in this regard.
    Since my belief is that Gay, DeMar are out and Dieng will be back next year. I think the need is another Big Wing/ Playmaking Forward and another Wing of the shooting variety since Vassell is the only man there.

Somehow trade down for two picks and nab Trey Murphy (3/4) and Duarte (2/3) and thats a really good haul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been watching some film on Josh Primo, he’s pretty impressive tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since my belief is that Gay, DeMar are out and Dieng will be back next year. I think the need is another Big Wing/ Playmaking Forward and another Wing of the shooting variety since Vassell is the only man there.

Somehow trade down for two picks and nab Trey Murphy (3/4) and Duarte (2/3) and thats a really good haul.
    most have Jeremiah Robinson earl in the late first. After watching some video of him, that would be a steal for the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayes (if he becomes a passable shooter), Maxey and Maledon, are all combo guards; Nnaji is a stretch big; Johnson, Primo and Wieskamp are all wings; Jones is an anchor big; Walker IV is a wing; Giddey (if he becomes a passable shooter) is a big wing/play making forward; Mann is a combo guard; Williams is a wing; Sengun and Garuba are anchor bigs.

Anyone on this team under 6 7” is a guard/ forward in my opinion. Even derozen was playing PF for a stretch.
    Arbitrarily drawing the line based on some archaic notion doesn't make any sense. Sorry, but there's no credible argument for Johnson and Vassell not being wings (again, the former is more like an undersized big wing).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most have Jeremiah Robinson earl in the late first. After watching some video of him, that would be a steal for the Spurs.
    Been preaching about him for a long time and he for sure would be a nice pick up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayes (if he becomes a passable shooter), Maxey and Maledon, are all combo guards; Nnaji is a stretch big; Johnson, Primo and Wieskamp are all wings; Jones is an anchor big; Walker IV is a wing; Giddey (if he becomes a passable shooter) is a big wing/play making forward; Mann is a combo guard; Williams is a wing; Sengun and Garuba are anchor bigs.

Arbitrarily drawing the line based on some archaic notion doesn't make any sense. Sorry, but there's no credible argument for Johnson and Vassell not being wings (again, the former it could be argued is a big wing).
    Fine if you think so. My rationale for most of the guys you listed is if they can’t “play up” then they’re a position down. For example, though the Spurs have Lonnie guarding wings, he really shouldn’t because his lack of length prohibits him from being an effective defender. Killian, Maxey, Maledon are offensivey combos, but again, looking at it from a defensive standpoint, my view of them is different. Not sure if Jones has the physicality to handle the interior, he sure has the ability to alter shots which is a good case for him to be classified as an anchor big. Giddey was one I struggled with classifying, mainly because he’s a poor defender but listing him as a PG doesn’t stop him from playing with other PGs on the court, which technically could make him as a big wing/ play making forward. From what I’ve seen from Williams, they’ve used him most effectively as their 4 hence my logic behind that. Garuba alters shots on the perimeter more than inside. Sengun, while a great one on one defender, doesn’t have the stature to be altering shots. Yes, he could be used in that role, it’s just I’m not sure he would be very good at it.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many sources peg the Spurs as needing bigs, but they're never clear or misunderstand what bigs are needed. We don't need centers that are not stretch-capable and even then it's not an area of priority.

The Spurs need: defensive size/athleticism at the 3-4 who can shoot, shooters in general, and playmakers. The only playmaker on the squad is Derrick White, by which I mean a guy who can see the floor outside of mechanical sets. Murray is on the Parker track -- not a natural playmaker, but learning where guys will be and can certainly run those. Manu was able to rip defenses up because he was a natural playmaker.

I don't really know who a stretch-four is in this draft. Mostly there are stretch-fives, but then these categories are difficult to cement nowadays. Samanic has some stretch 3/4 capability, but 1) we need a bruiser type who can corral rebounds, 2) he's not trustworthy (yet). I think Poeltl's fine, but he does reduce what is possible with the rest of the lineup. I think Eubanks is very serviceable as a backup big and is flashing some jumpshooting ability. I don't expect Dieng to stay. Something about not actually playing the dude when you sign him.

So... for that stretch three-four, a guy like Trey Murphy is very interesting. I don't think he's worth the #12, however, and know he'll be gone by our 2nd round pick. He's a very tall and long 3-and-D type who unfortunately is a bad rebounder.

There is some possibility of Sengun becoming that stretch-four and I actually think he will. Barring those choices, it's not really clear who is there at #12 that helps, which is why I'm looking at guys like Giddey (playmaking) and Kispert (shooting) instead.

EDIT: I had been going away from Wagner due to Samanic overlap, but he's also that stretch power wing that might work in this regard.

Stretch 4’s in the draft...JT Thor comes to mind, but at 12 is a reach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fine if you think so. My rationale for most of the guys you listed is if they can’t “play up” then they’re a position down. For example, though the Spurs have Lonnie guarding wings, he really shouldn’t because his lack of length prohibits him from being an effective defender. Killian, Maxey, Maledon are offensivey combos, but again, looking at it from a defensive standpoint, my view of them is different. Not sure if Jones has the physicality to handle the interior, he sure has the ability to alter shots which is a good case for him to be classified as an anchor big. Giddey was one I struggled with classifying, mainly because he’s a poor defender but listing him as a PG doesn’t stop him from playing with other PGs on the court, which technically could make him as a big wing/ play making forward. From what I’ve seen from Williams, they’ve used him most effectively as their 4 hence my logic behind that. Garuba alters shots on the perimeter more than inside. Sengun, while a great one on one defender, doesn’t have the stature to be altering shots. Yes, he could be used in that role, it’s just I’m not sure he would be very good at it.
    Walker IV lacks versatility, but I went wing over combo guard, because the latter suggests being able to initiate the offense.

Hayes, Maxey, Maledon are all easily big and strong enough to guard 1's and 2's.

With Jones, Sengun, Garuba, by anchor big I mean they'll be interior based.

Williams lacks the strength to be a big wing at this level. Think Ingram (a 3 who they'll put on 2's before they do 4's).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker IV lacks versatility, but I went wing over combo guard, because the latter suggests being able to initiate the offense.

Hayes, Maxey, Maledon are all easily big and strong enough to guard 1's and 2's.

With Jones, Sengun, Garuba, by anchor big I mean they'll be interior based.

Williams lacks the strength to be a big wing at this level. Think Ingram (a 3 who they'll put on 2's before they do 4's).
    1) fair enough. Walker is more “the offense” when he gets into his mode than a player “running an offense” so I agree with that

2) perhaps I remember them being smaller than they actually are

3) fair and I see the difference in viewpoint. I totally agree they are primarily mostly low post bigs on offense with a splash of 3

4) ill take your word for it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    19 Days until the Draft!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't think this logic works. We are not going to be a contender next year, barring miracles (plural). Therefore I wouldn't be drafting for roster fit in the immediate future. Get the best talent instead. (Oh No! We might have a badly put together roster that limits ours wins while forcing young players to widen their skill sets. Whatever will we do besides pick up another lottery pick...)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think this logic works. We are not going to be a contender next year, barring miracles (plural). Therefore I wouldn't be drafting for roster fit in the immediate future. Get the best talent instead. (Oh No! We might have a badly put together roster that limits ours wins while forcing young players to widen their skill sets. Whatever will we do besides pick up another lottery pick...)
    Eh, I happen to think those two are also the best available talent anyway, so it works for me.

I never said the Spurs should ignore talent. But I don’t agree that they’ll just pick anyone who clearly won’t fit.

“Let’s have five centers, have no playing time for two of them, wait for them to get disgruntled and want out.” Yeah, that’s not how the Spurs operate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best player available only works when there are clearly superior candidates. At #12 there are not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

sounds desperate if you read the whole twitter thread. Pity the team that drafts him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Arbitrarily drawing the line based on some archaic notion doesn't make any sense. Sorry, but there's no credible argument for Johnson and Vassell not being wings (again, the former is more like an undersized big wing).

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best player available only works when there are clearly superior candidates. At #12 there are not.
    There is bound to be player who falls into the 12 slot who will be a steal regardless of position.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly think that the 12th pick is the 3rd tier of players which to me is basically 12 - 19 of which you get a solid player maybe an actual starter but more likely a sixth or seventh on a good team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly think that the 12th pick is the 3rd tier of players which to me is basically 12 - 19 of which you get a solid player maybe an actual starter but more likely a sixth or seventh on a good team

Yea,end of the lottery hoping something falls is not exactly an envious position

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In other words a wing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we draft a new coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be BS but thought it was worth a post…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sacramento's FO is almost all new, so maybe they'll surprise us & make some wise choices in the draft. Haliburton last year was a gift to them & kind of a no brainer after falling further than anyone expected. They've got their work cut out for them with that team & their almost historically bad defense last season... especially if Holmes leaves, as he was one of their better defenders. Wagner makes a lot of sense for them... unfortunately for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacramento's FO is almost all new, so maybe they'll surprise us & make some wise choices in the draft. Haliburton last year was a gift to them & kind of a no brainer after falling further than anyone expected. They've got their work cut out for them with that team & their almost historically bad defense last season... especially if Holmes leaves, as he was one of their better defenders. Wagner makes a lot of sense for them... unfortunately for the Spurs.
    I’m not the biggest Wagner guy but do agree that it’s a very good fit.

Could be a tumultuous few months for him there though, at least initially.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Have no doubt there’s a strong chance the Kings select Franz, I’ve said it all along. But here’s an actual journalist, and not a rando from Michigan:

According to league sources, the Kings have conducted interviews with Florida State forward Scottie Barnes, Tennessee guard Keon Johnson, Baylor point guard Davion Mitc and Arkansas guard Moses Moody, among others. Sources said the Kings have not met with Duke forward Jalen Johnson, Michigan forward Franz Wagner or Gonzaga forward Corey Kispert, although that could change in the weeks ahead.”

Thread Information