Page 121 of 171 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    precisely my thoughts. of the 20 or so listed, almost none of those guys seem like top #12 picks, aside from maybe one or two of them. I'm hoping there's something to read into this or the Spurs FO is viewing this draft very differently than my hopes and expectations would lead me to believe.
    Maybe even a three team trade could happen where

DeMar + 12th pick goes to LA,
    Kuzma + LAL pick#22 + Thunder pick # 16 goes to SA,
    and THT goes to OKC.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count

and THT goes to OKC.
    Lakers get the best player AND the best pick in a trade? This makes no sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it’s the NBA, everything is lopsided in their favor

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

and THT goes to OKC.

The only thing that would give me pause is if there's a player available at 12 who they think might have star potential. Outside of that, there's unlikely to be a marked difference in the players picked at 12 and 16, so it'd be worth it to get 22.

If Butler's heart issue doesn't derail his career, I'd target him and Murphy III . . .

Kuzma/Samanic/Murphy III
    Johnson/Vassell/Jeffries?
    Poeltl/Dieng?/Eubanks
    White/Walker IV/Butler
    Murray/Mills?/Jones

While technically true, they'd be sacrificing their only credible youngish player and prospect and more than likely closing the book on winning another championship in the James era by picking up such a flawed player, who'd double as a poor fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The case for trading down seems pretty strong, assuming it's a 2-for-1 trade or some other asset comes in with a 1-for-1 trade.

I don't feel like there is a Tier 1 in this draft. Now, obviously there is, just as a semantic/technical obviousness, but I don't know if there's a top rank of players. The supposed top 3-4, none of them are obvious stars to me. I might put them above the next ten or so players, but only barely. Regardless, each is filled with risks and even the risers like Scottie Barnes and Bouknight have very large question marks.

Now, at the #12 range, you have a collection of good players with similar question marks. Giddey has exceptional passing, but serious questions about shooting, defense, and handles. Moody is passive and may only be a 3-and-D type with stiff mechanics. Kai Jones has great athleticism but couldn't even start for his college team. Etc.

I could see a scenario where Houston or New York wants to move up to tag a player they like. I'm not sure the Spurs will want to deal with the Knicks given how underhanded they were with the Morris affair, but whatever. Houston may not want three rookies on their team, but who knows.

So, in my opinion the talent sort of flattens after picks 6-7. So if that initial field is sort of Tier 1, then the next eight to ten picks is sort of Tier 2, but I don't know if there's a huge difference between those players and the next tier.

AND/OR, we are likely to see good players in that Tier 2 plateau drop, like Vassel and Haliburton did last year. Yes, even into the 20s this time, since this is a deeper draft, both naturally and because Covid pushed some players into this draft class. I think even before pick 20 we're going to see some stupid being done by the usual suspects, so could see the Giddey types fall into those NYK, HOU pick ranges. Nbadraft.net, which I think is doing some bizarre , just updated their Mock and still has Sengun in the early 2nd round.

So... is it worth it to maybe package the #12 with something else (if needed) to get two swings at potentially strong players? If we're unsure about Jaden Springer or Duarte at #12, then surely either is a great pick at #23, or a raft of other good players like Trey Murphy or Isaiah Jackson.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The case for trading down seems pretty strong, assuming it's a 2-for-1 trade or some other asset comes in with a 1-for-1 trade.

I don't feel like there is a Tier 1 in this draft. Now, obviously there is, just as a semantic/technical obviousness, but I don't know if there's a top rank of players. The supposed top 3-4, none of them are obvious stars to me. I might put them above the next ten or so players, but only barely. Regardless, each is filled with risks and even the risers like Scottie Barnes and Bouknight have very large question marks.

Now, at the #12 range, you have a collection of good players with similar question marks. Giddey has exceptional passing, but serious questions about shooting, defense, and handles. Moody is passive and may only be a 3-and-D type with stiff mechanics. Kai Jones has great athleticism but couldn't even start for his college team. Etc.

I could see a scenario where Houston or New York wants to move up to tag a player they like. I'm not sure the Spurs will want to deal with the Knicks given how underhanded they were with the Morris affair, but whatever. Houston may not want three rookies on their team, but who knows.

So, in my opinion the talent sort of flattens after picks 6-7. So if that initial field is sort of Tier 1, then the next eight to ten picks is sort of Tier 2, but I don't know if there's a huge difference between those players and the next tier.

AND/OR, we are likely to see good players in that Tier 2 plateau drop, like Vassel and Haliburton did last year. Yes, even into the 20s this time, since this is a deeper draft, both naturally and because Covid pushed some players into this draft class. I think even before pick 20 we're going to see some stupid being done by the usual suspects, so could see the Giddey types fall into those NYK, HOU pick ranges. Nbadraft.net, which I think is doing some bizarre , just updated their Mock and still has Sengun in the early 2nd round.

So... is it worth it to maybe package the #12 with something else (if needed) to get two swings at potentially strong players? If we're unsure about Jaden Springer or Duarte at #12, then surely either is a great pick at #23, or a raft of other good players like Trey Murphy or Isaiah Jackson.
    Totally agree. If we could somehow capitalize our #12 pick and pull some sort of s/t with DDR (if legal), I would love to get two picks a bit later in the first round.

If we could get two of: Duarte, Moody, Springer, Murphy, Garuba, Thor, then I’m thrilled.

The only exception is if someone we really like is still there at 12. For me, that is Sengun, even if that forebodes poorly for the lovable but gruff banger Drew Eubanks sticking around.

(Wagner, I’ve cooled on. Feels like a rich man’s Larry Krystkowiak.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally agree. If we could somehow capitalize our #12 pick and pull some sort of s/t with DDR (if legal), I would love to get two picks a bit later in the first round.

If we could get two of: Duarte, Moody, Springer, Murphy, Garuba, Thor, then I’m thrilled.

The only exception is if someone we really like is still there at 12. For me, that is Sengun, even if that forebodes poorly for the lovable but gruff banger Drew Eubanks sticking around.

(Wagner, I’ve cooled on. Feels like a rich man’s Larry Krystkowiak.)
    I don't think DeRozan is involved at all. The #12 could have value to someone. The second round pick or Lonnie or such can be used if necessary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think DeRozan is involved at all. The #12 could have value to someone. The second round pick or Lonnie or such can be used if necessary.
    If Pop returns, I definitely think we should trade Lonnie. He’s become like a walking algorithm trying to process everything and not make mistakes. I would love to trade him for something. If Becky takes over, I’d give him another year generally speaking, but not if we get a pick in the late teens/early 20s.

Man, so much uncertainty for this franchise: what’s our plan, who is the coach, are we even looking for a centerpiece et cetera. But getting more picks in an amorphous draft has merit. More dice to roll.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we want to move down (and I'm very open to that if Wagner is off the board at 12) I don't think we have to take on Kuzma to do it. I could see Oklahoma offering both of their pick to move up because there's a limit to how many young guys they will want on that already young roster. I could also see the Knicks giving up one of their picks for one of our young players on a controlled contract. Either scenario seems better to me than giving the lakers #12 in a DDR trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we want to move down (and I'm very open to that if Wagner is off the board at 12) I don't think we have to take on Kuzma to do it. I could see Oklahoma offering both of their pick to move up because there's a limit to how many young guys they will want on that already young roster. I could also see the Knicks giving up one of their picks for one of our young players on a controlled contract. Either scenario seems better to me than giving the lakers #12 in a DDR trade.
    Giving DDR to the Lakers could easily doom their le aspirations, though he seems like an awesome dude et cetera, so there is some motivation to screw them over and let DDR get home. Win/win, at least theoretically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giving DDR to the Lakers could easily doom their le aspirations, though he seems like an awesome dude et cetera, so there is some motivation to screw them over and let DDR get home. Win/win, at least theoretically.
    Jesus ing Christ are people here ing nuts about how good DeRozan is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as Kuzma was overhyped because he's a Laker and an inefficient mediocrity, let's not pretend he's an albatross or that the Spurs could do better (along with a late 1st) for DeRozan.

3/$39M is reasonable for a 26 year old, durable, modern 4 and as long as his delusions of grandeur could be kept in check (a major question mark given the lack of established or clear pecking order), he'd be a nice fit here. He could also easily be rerouted at any time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see anything special with Jaden Springer, he’ll be a good player but ehhh I don’t see much upside
    This is Springer at 15 years old competing against guys who are 17-18-19. He's guarding Precious Achiuwa (19 yo at the time), in the post too later in the clip (6:34 mark).

Precious mauls everyone with his combination of power and finesse but watch what happens when he goes up against Jaden.

Should be noted Jaden is doing this after rolling his ankle at the 6 min mark and clearly isn't 100% for the rest of the comp.

Last edited by PhantomDashCam; 07-11-2021 at 05:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as Kuzma was overhyped because he's a Laker and an inefficient mediocrity, let's not pretend he's an albatross or that the Spurs could do better (along with a late 1st) for DeRozan.

3/$39M is reasonable for a 26 year old, durable, modern 4 and as long as his delusions of grandeur could be kept in check (a major question mark given the lack of established or clear pecking order), he'd be a nice fit here. He could also easily be rerouted at any time.
    I didn’t even know he was making that little. League average for a starter is $17~ mil, I believe. $13 mil for Kuzma is a bargain, especially if he’s a starter. Would people rather have Markkanen at $18+ mil? I can deal with Markkanen at $15 mil at most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus ing Christ are people here ing nuts about how good DeRozan is.
    Well, I know I’m not. I think it’s more about the fear of trading to the Lakers because we might help them. To me , DDR doesn’t really help anyone as far as going far in the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per his interview,

Isaiah thinks he's a 4 in the NBA, and a little bit of a 5. Studies Kevin Garnett. Have huge doubts, like I do with nearly every prospect. But if the guy can shoot, that changes things a bit. He does have a better free throw percentage than someone like Kai Jones, so he has that going for him.

I may prefer him to Kai Jones, Jackson is an elite shotblocker. You have this for sure with him, problem is the offense for the moment. If he can shoot the ball he could develop into a good nba player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't see Kuzma as an albatross and I'm not opposed to doing the deal and acquiring him, I just don't see him being worth the #12 pick so we can drop back into the 20's.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with trading ddr to the lakers, I just wouldn't swap picks with them to do it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t even know he was making that little. League average for a starter is $17~ mil, I believe. $13 mil for Kuzma is a bargain, especially if he’s a starter. Would people rather have Markkanen at $18+ mil? I can deal with Markkanen at $15 mil at most.
    I know I'm in the minority here but, I'd rather have Lauri than Kuzma. Kuzma doesn't have a bad contract but, I'd rather have a guy at the 4 shooting 40% from 3 instead of 30% from 3....especially if they both are poor defenders.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I know I’m not. I think it’s more about the fear of trading to the Lakers because we might help them. To me , DDR doesn’t really help anyone as far as going far in the playoffs.
    That’s a typical ST misconception. DDR as your star player… yeah I agree he’s not helping anyone.

He’d be great on a winning team where he can get on a roll in spurts and bring some offense when your first two options aren’t getting it done.

The only barrier to teams being more trade friendly is that no ones paying 30 million for a 3rd or 4th option. Now if he’ll entertain low 20’s on a contract you might have more options. It’ll really comes down to what he’ll accept on a contract for an S&T to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t understand why Sacramento would make Wagner a promise. Don’t you only make promises to prospects who are in danger of withdrawing from the draft? Or to prospects who are far above your projected draft range, but who want to go to your organization (e.g. Batum)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t understand why Sacramento would make Wagner a promise. Don’t you only make promises to prospects who are in danger of withdrawing from the draft? Or to prospects who are far above your projected draft range, but who want to go to your organization (e.g. Batum)?
    maybe it’s to stop him from doing workouts with the teams ahead of the Kings. Maybe the Kings fear the Magic would love him during those workouts and take him before they do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like Derozz on our team but people acting like he is a scrub he is a very good player who is not an All Star but still will be your third best on a team chasing a ring. Every stat you could look at he got better and to be honest how many players that got burned in a trade like he did would show up be professional and still play.

I think if he goes to a contender he would be even more motivated and as long as he is not your first or second player he would add value over the season. Teams have to have these type of players because if your first or second offensive option gets hurt for any amount of time you got a guy who can shoulder the load until they return

This season showed if you don't have a deep bench it's the difference of making the playoffs/advancing in the playoffs or going fishing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may prefer him to Kai Jones, Jackson is an elite shotblocker. You have this for sure with him, problem is the offense for the moment. If he can shoot the ball he could develop into a good nba player.
    I'll admit, I never took Jackson seriously since I was under the impression he was another big who couldn't shoot past 3 ft and we don't need or want any of that.

Watching him more, he actually has a decent shot tendency to face up from mid-range. His form looks solid and consistent, something I never found convincing from Kai. Kai has a tendency to act like a wing who thinks he has the ability to shoot off the dribble and fails miserably at it. Isaiah is your old school face-up big who will take the shot from mid-range if he thinks he can shoot over you. On the perimeter, I can envision him being a stand still shooter down the line. Make no mistake, Isaiah doesn't look like he's going to project into your modern big that everybody dreams about. But what he does have is the potential to be your LaMarcus type big who will take the ball from the post or farther out, giving the offense a little bit of structure than modern basketball. Obviously, this is all highly unlikely to happen but IF he does put in the work then that is the type of ceiling I see.

Kai Jones took 27 shots in the mid-range, at 33% FG.
    Isaiah took 54 shots in the mid-range, at 35.2% FG. He likes to shoot.

I'll probably bump him up to my Tier 4, which is the same group Kai is currently in but Isaiah will be higher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They finally made a video for my boy. The perfect modern 4. Would be extremely happy if they select him (preferably late 1st round).

Thread Information