Page 26 of 171 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I didn't realize Sengun couldn't speak English very well.

IMO, that would increase his development time.

Just looking at how Luka was brought in and the time it took for him to get acclimated with the culture, and how to fit in socially, and it may look like the same thing with Sengun. Not to mention communicating with assistant coaches, understanding the playbook, and so forth. I suppose it would be hard to get information about how he is in the locker room, and if he isn't another Porzingas (toxic personality-type).

Interesting. Perhaps if that interpreter comes with him, he will be happy. I remember that The Great Wall of China Mengke Bateer had an interpreter with him, so there's at least a history of doing that, but yeah, that could delay things, but might be beneficial in the longterm considering how young he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the article:

"Teams shouldn't draft Sengun expecting the next Jokic. But they should make an effort to learn from the mistakes that were made when evaluating Jokic: overvaluing physical traits and undervaluing the hands, touch, instincts, feel for the game and confidence to take risks. Sengun doesn't have Jokic's size, length or elite court vision, and there's much more of a track record for Serbian prospects than Turkish prospects. Coming from a small town in Turkey where learning English isn't always a priority, Sengun still speaks little to no English, which will surely elongate his transition to the NBA."

The bolded part is exactly what I say about prospects criticized for their lack of athleticism.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will always take a baller over an athlete, and I will always take an athletic baller over just a baller, and I would take an athletic baller with great measurements over just an athletic baller.

As far as Sengun not to worried about his English it’s not like Pop is going to let him play with the big kids anyway he like every other player we draft will be G League bound.

With White being out I changed my picks as we slip in standings
    1. Moody
    2. Bouknight
    3. Sengun
    4. Karl Franz Wagner

Would be happy with any of the above

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the article:

"Teams shouldn't draft Sengun expecting the next Jokic. But they should make an effort to learn from the mistakes that were made when evaluating Jokic: overvaluing physical traits and undervaluing the hands, touch, instincts, feel for the game and confidence to take risks. Sengun doesn't have Jokic's size, length or elite court vision, and there's much more of a track record for Serbian prospects than Turkish prospects. Coming from a small town in Turkey where learning English isn't always a priority, Sengun still speaks little to no English, which will surely elongate his transition to the NBA."

The bolded part is exactly what I say about prospects criticized for their lack of athleticism.
    That probably depends on position at least a little I would think. That was my first thought. But maybe not. An unathletic PG feels like a doomed scenario and someone like Jokic can get by better with poor foot speed because he’s a post player. But yeah n defense it’s hard to hide. So maybe Giddey survives on the court? He would need defensive instincts I would imagine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will always take a baller over an athlete, and I will always take an athletic baller over just a baller, and I would take an athletic baller with great measurements over just an athletic baller.

As far as Sengun not to worried about his English it’s not like Pop is going to let him play with the big kids anyway he like every other player we draft will be G League bound.

With White being out I changed my picks as we slip in standings
    1. Moody
    2. Bouknight
    3. Sengun
    4. Karl Franz Wagner

Would be happy with any of the above
    I'm with you on this, i will probably add Scottie Barnes somewhere. Imo the physical tools plus the passing ability are really good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with you on this, i will probably add Scottie Barnes somewhere. Imo the physical tools plus the passing ability are really good.
    To be a high level passer in the NBA, you need at least the threat and ability to create for yourself, and I see no path there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be a high level passer in the NBA, you need at least the threat and ability to create for yourself, and I see no path there.
    A young player can still develop himseld in a lot of areas, he will not be JJ red but you see what Draymond Green is doing with no shoot or offensive game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if you're a Murray-White back court believer or "truther", White's lack of durability is why picking another guard should absolutely be in play in the draft.

Beyond the obvious need for a star, there's a need for another creator period. Johnson may yet grow into it, but they can't go into next season without another creator in DeRozan's stead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Official now

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
    2m
    ESPN Story: Josh Giddey – a playmaking 6-foot-8 Australian guard – is entering the 2021 NBA Draft. Giddey is the No. 13 player in the ESPN Top 100 and could climb in the draft lottery. es.pn/3xv3z6f

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the article:

I've noticed lately whenever I listen to the announcers of opposing teams playing the Spurs that they always emphasize how Lonnie Walker is an athlete. It's never whoa, his handles, or lights out shooter or lock down D... it's always athlete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, I'm more open to drafting Duarte at this point, since the range will probably be mid to late teens.

Lonnie's not giving us the flexibility we need in case one or a couple guards are gone / injured.

Who cares about his age? We need more players who can score from anywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, I'm more open to drafting Duarte at this point, since the range will probably be mid to late teens.

Lonnie's not giving us the flexibility we need in case one or a couple guards are gone / injured.

I think you’re underestimating our pick placement. If White is out for more than a few games, we not only won’t climb any higher, we’ll likely fall as far as we can, #10. That being said, I wouldn’t hate flipping Lonny for a later pick in the 20s to pick Duarte. I’m just exhausted with Lonnie’s standard 3 game points breakout of 25-3-5.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you’re underestimating our pick placement. If White is out for more than a few games, we not only won’t climb any higher, we’ll likely fall as far as we can, #10. That being said, I wouldn’t hate flipping Lonny for a later pick in the 20s to pick Duarte. I’m just exhausted with Lonnie’s standard 3 game points breakout of 25-3-5.
    NY, with 2 picks coming behind us, is a pretty good target for a Lonnie trade like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I know what you mean. Watching Duarte is such a breath of fresh air compared to the other flawed prospect after the top five. By draft time, I might have to agree that if a few certain prospects are off the board and the Spurs are somewhere around 13 or 14, going with Duarte makes too much sense.

He's damn old but he took a weird route to where he is, so he's not like a typical old prospect who stuck around until he figured it out and had a maturity advantage. Duarte is still relatively new on the scene. When watching him, it's difficult not to see a bigger Derrick White type of player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know what you mean. Watching Duarte is such a breath of fresh air compared to the other flawed prospect after the top five. By draft time, I might have to agree that if a few certain prospects are off the board and the Spurs are somewhere around 13 or 14, going with Duarte makes too much sense.

He's damn old but he took a weird route to where he is, so he's not like a typical old prospect who stuck around until he figured it out and had a maturity advantage. Duarte is still relatively new on the scene. When watching him, it's difficult not to see a bigger Derrick White type of player.
    Age-wise he fits right in with Murray tbh. Only issue is if Pop is still around and benches him his entire rookie season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never watched Quentin Grimes, but damn his advanced metrics blow the top 5 SGs out of the water. Likely has to do with the strength of schedule, but still.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...n--moses-moody

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Grimes was linked to us as a potential 2nd round pick. Makes sense. So does Duarte as a target. I could see us picking Duarte first round, and then a Unicorn in the second round, like Vrenz Bleijenbergh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Grimes was linked to us as a potential 2nd round pick. Makes sense. So does Duarte as a target. I could see us picking Duarte first round, and then a Unicorn in the second round, like Vrenz Bleijenbergh.
    I actually watched a bit of Grimes just now. What an awful player. Commits stupid fouls. Can't dribble. Basically a homeless man's Danny Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My sleeper pick

Probably not with a high lottery pick, but perhaps a mid lottery one.

The perfect modern four. Quick enough, physically imposing enough, has a nose for the ball, can shoot. Just the right mix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. I will look into him. I like the Villanova pedigree, usually a good sign.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My sleeper pick

Probably not with a high lottery pick, but perhaps a mid lottery one.

The perfect modern four. Quick enough, physically imposing enough, has a nose for the ball, can shoot. Just the right mix.

Really like him too, i don't understand why he is so low on some mocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really like him too, i don't understand why he is so low on some mocks.
    His wingspan isn’t long, and he seems to only be gifted on the offensive side of the ball. Most of his deficits start with the word defense or the letter D.

He also shoots 28% from 3. That’s DeRozan territory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of players in past drafts were listed as PF or even SF but ended up playing C. Let's take a look:

Marquese Chriss - Listed as a PF, ended up playing C
    Domantas Sabonis - Listed PF, plays C in NBA

JJJ - Listed as PF, plays C in NBA
    Wendell Carter - Listed as PF, plays C in NBA

DeAndre Hunter - Listed as SF, plays PF in NBA

Isaiah Stewart - Listed as PF, plays C in NBA
    Precious Achiua - Listed as PF, plays C in NBA

I'm sure I'm missing some more...

IMO, in 2021
    Kai Jones is listed as PF/C but will likely play full time C
    Isaiah Jackson is listed as PF/C but will likely play full time C
    Filip Petrusev is listed as PF/C but will likely play full time C

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His wingspan isn’t long, and he seems to only be gifted on the offensive side of the ball. Most of his deficits start with the word defense or the letter D.

He also shoots 28% from 3. That’s DeRozan territory.
    DeRozan territory is defined as a player who hesitates to shoot from 3.

People read too much into percentages, dismissing shooting form, hot streaks and cold streaks.

Just admit you went straight to his stats and didn't spend a minute watching how he plays.

Thread Information