Page 28 of 171 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I'd like to hear the opinions of people with greater knowledge than myself and begin a discussion about how would the SpursTalk favourites Nate Renfro and Robert Woodard fit into these scheme of things. What say Dejounte?
    Renfro's only hope of cracking the main roster is if he's improves his 3-point shooting this offseason. From what I've seen on social media, he is hard at work at it. We all know that if he does crack the main roster, that he'll start off by being the 3rd string PF on the team and will only get minutes sparingly. So, right now assuming Lyles is gone... he has Keldon, Luka, and Gay in front of him. Gay would have to be gone AND the Spurs would not use any significant cap space on a PF for Renfro to have a chance at making the main roster. I think the C rotation is already set, so that's why I think he has no chance there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been so interesting watching Julius Randle emerge this year as a legitimately good & well rounded player-- seven years after getting drafted. At this point I think I like him better than Collins or Markkanen. It kinda has me thinking that the FO needs to get better/more aggressive at making trades. It's really hard to rebuild using the draft exclusively, and never making a move to bring in a guy that's already there or just about to peak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been so interesting watching Julius Randle emerge this year as a legitimately good & well rounded player-- seven years after getting drafted. At this point I think I like him better than Collins or Markkanen. It kinda has me thinking that the FO needs to get better/more aggressive at making trades. It's really hard to rebuild using the draft exclusively, and never making a move to bring in a guy that's already there or just about to peak.
    Randle was the young Laker actually attainable by the Spurs (or anyone) a few years ago.

He's also the type of physical presence the Spurs have been sorely missing for those same last few years. He could make the Spurs a different type of team.

He could have been had, we just didn't want him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Randle was the young Laker actually attainable by the Spurs (or anyone) a few years ago.

He's also the type of physical presence the Spurs have been sorely missing for those same last few years. He could make the Spurs a different type of team.

He could have been had, we just didn't want him.
    All the credit to Julius for his improvement, but the NBA did shift into a style where his skills would be way more useful than any other time in the league (including his first three years in the NBA). There's a very small pool in the NBA right now and in the upcoming draft which fits his archetype. Keep in mind, he's only 6'8". So maybe we should be more open to prospects who are that size for the PF position. Is Sengun as mobile as Randle? Hmm...

Would love to see Samanic shut him down again.

Last edited by Dejounte; 04-30-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the credit to Julius for his improvement, but the NBA did shift into a style where his skills would be way more useful than any other time in the league (including his first three years in the NBA). There's a very small pool in the NBA right now and in the upcoming draft which fits his archetype. Keep in mind, he's only 6'8". So maybe we should be more open to prospects who are that size for the PF position. Is Sengun as mobile as Randle? Hmm...

Would love to see Samanic shut him down again.

So you see Sengun's comp as more Randle than Joker? That's interesting...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you see Sengun's comp as more Randle than Joker? That's interesting...
    No, I don't think Sengun and Randle are that much alike. I just think there's a big size (height and girth) disparity between Sengun and Jokic for Sengun to play anything like Jokic in the NBA. Jokic sees over people easily and not to mention has one of the best vision for centers to ever play the game. Sengun has passing skills, but he's got a lot to show before he can sniff Jokic's elite passing ability. What I was merely saying is that I believe Sengun should shape his game to be more like Julius in order to thrive in the NBA because of his size limitations. Sengun plays a lot more in the post than Julius does, and I think that should change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tankathon has the Spurs picking Sengun in their mock. I went back last night and read a bunch of the scouting reports on Jokic the year he came out-- very interesting, with a consensus agreement that he'd be too slow on D to ever be an impact player in the NBA... but I do think the Jokic comparison gets thrown around a little too much these days. He might literally the best passing big man of all time, so it's hard to picture too many prospects living up to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I mean as weird as it sounds, the Lakers were ran worse than the Knicks at that point. They just are lucky that Hollywood is in town bc they have zero player development. As a vet, I would love to play for the Lakers but as a youth, it's a pretty ty place to be developed as far as the beginning of your career goes. The one things Thibs does elite is coach up young players that are willing to work. And you can see that with Randle.

That being said, I have been screaming my head off about us getting Randle and how we needed to get him and how he would be an amazing fit. I even said last year we should trade DDR for Randle even though the Knicks screwed us over. I've wanted Randle on our team for years now. But the contract he gets from the Knicks in 2022 is going to be ridiculous. He is going to be getting the max there and he isn't THAT type of player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see Jared Butler for that sixth man Patty role or a designated shooter Bryn role in that starting lineup. After Moody and Wagner , Butler maybe the next high floor player with some upside. Hard to find that combination of versatile shooting with maybe plus defense. Duarte is another good pick on that mold. Too much question marks on prospects 6 onwards that getting that high floor prospect with creation upside might be the better play.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jason Preston, junior point guard for Ohio. A late bloomer. Feels like another Derrick White type story. Interesting skills.

https://youtu.be/Mh2cu_YNXnE
    That pass at 11:32 is legit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see Jared Butler for that sixth man Patty role or a designated shooter Bryn role in that starting lineup. After Moody and Wagner , Butler maybe the next high floor player with some upside. Hard to find that combination of versatile shooting with maybe plus defense. Duarte is another good pick on that mold. Too much question marks on prospects 6 onwards that getting that high floor prospect with creation upside might be the better play.
    For this role, and a high floor, I’d rather have Duarte. He has better size, too, at 6’6”.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tankathon has the Spurs picking Sengun in their mock. I went back last night and read a bunch of the scouting reports on Jokic the year he came out-- very interesting, with a consensus agreement that he'd be too slow on D to ever be an impact player in the NBA... but I do think the Jokic comparison gets thrown around a little too much these days. He might literally the best passing big man of all time, so it's hard to picture too many prospects living up to that.
    Was just going through Tankathon player reviews of top 14 players, and one thing that I found interesting is that out of every draft pick from number 1 to number 14 - Sengun has some of the highest strengths and has the least amount of weaknesses out of all the top 14 picks. Take it for what’s its worth but to me that’s kinda impressive for an 18 year old kid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was just going through Tankathon player reviews of top 14 players, and one thing that I found interesting is that out of every draft pick from number 1 to number 14 - Sengun has some of the highest strengths and has the least amount of weaknesses out of all the top 14 picks. Take it for what’s its worth but to me that’s kinda impressive for an 18 year old kid
    Those weren't strengths and weaknesses based off any form of scouting. They are "stat strengths and weaknesses". They also scaled the stats to NCAA numbers. That means it's only a strength if it's above the mean of all prospects in their respective stats. Highly unreliable.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/alperen-sengun

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte you just broke my bubble

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like both players...depending on what we do with our young guys I could see either fitting in. I see Duarte as more of a 2/3 and Butler as more of a 1/2... He reminds me a little bit of George Hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night:

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF the Spurs draft Giddey, it creates an awkward situation with Dejounte Murray. DM is still growing, but I see a ceiling for him as the person in control of the ball, and he isn’t the star we need. Like DDR, DM needs the ball in his hands. Honestly, I see similar ceilings. We’ve seen the challenges with DM dominating the ball, but it hasn’t been discussed much. It’s felt quietly in White’s absence. So, if we would draft Giddey, should they trade DM at the same time? They wouldn’t of course. But this draft needs to be done with some semblance of a vision for the team. I have doubts the FO is ready to make big decisions. Maybe it’s too early of course, but this season has been a headache of roster/playing time decisions. Not looking forward to more years of this lack of direction. Maybe it truly is focusing on defense. I like that. But I have doubts about DM’s ability to adapt to team’s needs in the same way I do with DDR, basically.

Just throwing out ideas.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    For someone that's supposed to be a playmaker, Giddey's handle looks shakey. Not NBA level. And he's extremely unathletic. Wonder if people are making the same mistake they made with Avdija - they see a white guy that can pass and assume he'll be the next Doncic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF the Spurs draft Giddey, it creates an awkward situation with Dejounte Murray. DM is still growing, but I see a ceiling for him as the person in control of the ball, and he isn’t the star we need. Like DDR, DM needs the ball in his hands. Honestly, I see similar ceilings. We’ve seen the challenges with DM dominating the ball, but it hasn’t been discussed much. It’s felt quietly in White’s absence. So, if we would draft Giddey, should they trade DM at the same time? They wouldn’t of course. But this draft needs to be done with some semblance of a vision for the team. I have doubts the FO is ready to make big decisions. Maybe it’s too early of course, but this season has been a headache of roster/playing time decisions. Not looking forward to more years of this lack of direction. Maybe it truly is focusing on defense. I like that. But I have doubts about DM’s ability to adapt to team’s needs in the same way I do with DDR, basically.

Just throwing out ideas.
    There's been shared usage of playmaking for years now, I don't think that's suddenly going to change with DJ growing up or with DeMar leaving so I don't see where this perception comes from where the team is going to be overreliant on DJ being the main ballhandler. The offense isn't going to restructure itself from having multiple ballhandlers. The only thing that will likely change is who gets the ball in the clutch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's been shared usage of playmaking for years now, I don't think that's suddenly going to change with DJ growing up or with DeMar leaving so I don't see where this perception comes from where the team is going to be overreliant on DJ being the main ballhandler. The offense isn't going to restructure itself from having multiple ballhandlers. The only thing that will likely change is who gets the ball in the clutch.
    I would quibble that the team is already over reliant on DJ pounding the ball, and it is less shared playmaking and more shared going one on one whoever has the ball. The team is crying out for a pure play maker which is why Giddey makes sense, even if he has some bust potential. But then once you get a player like that, how do you best utilize them, and what does that say about the roles of other players? It’s obviously a difficult dynamic question with no easy answer. I’m just throwing ideas around.

If Giddey pans out it could elevate the play of many of our players. So I see it could be very positive as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    89 days until the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -I've been watching dem Baylor boys. For Spurs purposes, I like Butler better than Mitc . Stroke looks really good. Low release but it's so fast that I don't think it'll matter. Strong instincts on both ends with a superior basketball IQ. He's an inch taller and a year younger than Mitc . Butler could easily slide into a bench role as the new age version of Mills/Forbes. If his shooting is as good as advertised, the rest of the game should make him a strong bench player for years. The issue with Butler is his ceiling isn't that enticing. I'd feel better drafting him at around 20 than in the lottery. But, then again, if you just want a dude who knows how to play basketball without any major flaws and you think Duarte is too old, Butler is one of the better prospects remaining in that scenario. Don't see him being a starter but he should be a useful bench piece. He also gets bonus points because he checks that high-character box the Spurs look for.

-Mitc ... it'd be difficult for me to co-sign spending a lottery pick on him. Strip away the national championship media hype and he's basically a worse version of Derrick White at Colorado. Impressive defender but I think his shooting could have been a fluke (low free throw percentage, low shooting percentages before this season). Being a bad rebounder and bad at getting to the line are two more red flags. He was old and physically mature, so he had built in advantages that wouldn't translate to the NBA. A team that needs a defensive point guard could use him but can the Spurs pick him when he might not even be better than Tre Jones? Jones put up similar states when he was two years younger. Obviously, Mitc has more of an NBA body but Jones has a legitimate chance of being better than him down the line. Even if you take Jones out of the equation, Mitc looks like a backup guard with attributes that aren't the most useful in the modern NBA and don't fit what the Spurs have in place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh Giddey is growing on me tbh it’s hard to gauge how well an international player will adjust to the NBA but his skill set is interesting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That pass at 11:32 is legit.
    He's sort of like a homeless man's Lamelo Ball.

Thread Information