Page 38 of 171 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
    Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jared Butler is my favorite realistic pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not pro or anti Sengun, but this is pretty athletic IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty pro drafting Alperen!! He’s really skilled for a young player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I go back and forth with Sengun. If we draft him it feels like a likely adios to Eubanks, and I love his bruiser with upside appeal; he’s making significant progress, albeit for a role player, but not the biggest loss.

Sengun has to somehow be a much better shooter or passer then we believe.

Shooting: 17% from 3...but 81% for free throws? That’s bizarre but encouraging, to me, at least if you believe that FT % is the best indicator for projecting 3P%. His form looks good to me, so I think there’s potential there. I don’t see it as fixing a broken shot, so much as teaching him to focus on outside shooting, which I’m sort of assuming wasn’t his role on his team, especially with such outstanding post fundamentals.

Passing: it’s assumed his passing is bad or even overrated. But I see it as better than advertised. Fast forward to 3:31: https://youtu.be/yoDROPsaRSo

Better than I expected, with some passes showing great court awareness.

Ball handling: better than I expected in the open court. A decent to solid handle, especially for a throwback center. Better than Jakob, for comparison, fwiw.

Athleticism: heavy feet, slow twitch athlete, but very coordinated. Seems to have soft touch and good hands.

Defense: likely bad, but may have good court awareness as a help defender.

Basically, he looks like a lumbering oaf, a foaming at the mouth big man, but I see deceptive Euro style athleticism, meaning great coordination and fundamental awareness that could be surprising in the way that Luka Doncic looks like a fat slob but can still be effective.

I’ve focused on the need for shooting and passing, which isn’t his obvious strength, but after watching the Keystone cops on on the spurs the last few weeks, fumbling around like drunk morons with no understanding of the game, I actually am going to appreciate Sengun for his solid feel for the game.

So yeah, I’m leaning towards Sengun if we strike iut on more promising wings who can shoot, in other words, Moody. We’d probably want to trade down to get him if we can’t dangle a young piece to move into the top 5, which is unlikely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After years of torture watching dumb players, all I want is a smart player. Don't care who. I'm spoiled by the old days when the team barely made any mistakes. Sengun seems like a player with fundamentals, which I like.

Let's go back to the days when the team was a well-oiled machine. For me personally, I don't need a star to be entertained by Spurs basketball. Don't need a Tim Duncan big man, nor an exciting wing. Watching players play the right way with minimal mistakes is extremely fun to me. The Spurs aren't doing that right now.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 05-14-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All told, the players who have my eye most right now are Moody, Jalen Johnson, Wagner and Kispert -- with Giddey and Ziaire gaining momentum.
    Your last sentence resume what is this draft. It's really difficult to have an order between this 6-16 pick range but i'm with you for moody. If he is here i will take him first.

Sengun is still my first choice after that, i'm really intriguing by giddey and i think barnes ceilling could be worth it. ( Jalen Johnson too but don't know what to thing about the issues°

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be very interesting to see what Sengun does in the draft combine (if he does the combine). If his vertical & agility numbers are average or slightly above average, it could be a case of the eye test making him out to be slower than he really is. Watching Harden dismantle the Spurs the other night while looking like he was moving pretty slowly and watching lots of Jokic makes me wonder if Sengun's natural feel for the game and incredible numbers at age 18 show that there's enough to overcome average athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’ve focused on the need for shooting and passing, which isn’t his obvious strength, but after watching the Keystone cops on on the spurs the last few weeks, fumbling around like drunk morons with no understanding of the game, I actually am going to appreciate Sengun for his solid feel for the game.
    Have to admit, watching tape on him it's really refreshing to see him box out on every shot that goes up, or to attack the basket, looking for put backs. For the last couple of games, I've been especially watching Lonnie Walker and he's such a ball watcher at this point. He doesn't move towards the paint when a shot goes up, he doesn't rotate sideways to get free of his defender in case there's a miss and a kick out, he doesn't get a head start getting back on D... on almost every shot that goes up, he freezes and stands in place, waiting to see what happens. It seems like almost every rebound Walker gets is a case of right place/right time + great leaping ability. It's almost never because of fundamentals & rebounding intuition, which is something Murray has a real gift for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be very interesting to see what Sengun does in the draft combine (if he does the combine). If his vertical & agility numbers are average or slightly above average, it could be a case of the eye test making him out to be slower than he really is. Watching Harden dismantle the Spurs the other night while looking like he was moving pretty slowly and watching lots of Jokic makes me wonder if Sengun's natural feel for the game and incredible numbers at age 18 show that there's enough to overcome average athleticism.
    Bingo. Harden's performance against the Spurs recently was exactly what was on my mind when I wrote that post. His anticipation, timing, and pace outclassed everyone on the court. When he made that one error of passing it out of bounds, it was like watching a genius writing it in his book to never let it happen again. That's not athleticism, that's next level high basketball IQ processing speed. High flyer-type athleticism is overrated. What I look for these days in physical ability is strength and adequate lateral quickness, and that's it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After hearing about Doncic and Porzingas not getting along due to their European roots, I'm curious if any int'l prospects would clash with any of ours (or future int'l Spurs players).

I'm not educated enough in European or Middle Eastern affairs, but hopefully none of them bring harmful chemistry.

Wagner's hometown of Berlin is only a seven hour drive from Poeltl's hometown of Vienna, so I wonder if they have anything in common. (Wagner also played with a Poeltl-like big in Michigan, so seems like there would be instant chemistry there)

I've also wondered why Samanic has a friendship with Doncic, and it's probably because Slovenia is only a 3 hour drive from Croatia.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 05-15-2021 at 04:04 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw this on reddit:

#Fade4Cade #Succ4Suggs #Lowley4Mobley #Failin4Jalen #Booty4Moody #Die4Kai #Despair4Zaire #Potty4Scottie #LoseAllNight4Bouknight #GetPee'dOn4Keon #SuckTiddies4Giddey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw this on reddit:

#Fade4Cade #Succ4Suggs #Lowley4Mobley #Failin4Jalen #Booty4Moody #Die4Kai #Despair4Zaire #Potty4Scottie #LoseAllNight4Bouknight #GetPee'dOn4Keon #SuckTiddies4Giddey

Lol second last one is great

how about #BangHer4Wagner

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My personal big board has changed a few times but here's how I value guys currently. Of course it's from my Spurs perspective or basically what I think the Spurs big board should look like.

1. Cade Cunningham
    2. Evan Mobley
    3. Jonathan Kuminga
    4. Jalen Green
    5. Jalen Suggs
    6. Franz Wagner
    7. Moses Moody
    8. Corey Kispert
    9. Jalen Johnson
    10. Alperen Sengun
    11. Zaire Williams
    12. Keon Johnson
    13. Jared Butler
    14. Josh Giddey
    15. Kai Jones
    16. Scottie Barnes
    17. Chris Duarte
    18. James Bouknight
    19. Davion Mitc
    20. Isaiah Jackson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want C Neemias Queta to be our backup C. , when we go against the 3 or 4 teams that have big lineups, play Poeltl and Queta together. Our interior D would soar....Poeltl is already a beast on D, but adding Queta would give us such a formidable duo, and honestly take some of the pressure off Poeltl to consistently stay out of foul trouble. He would be allowed to be a bit more aggressive.

I really like Giddey, Sengun, Prkacin, Huff, Bassey, and Zaire......The first 4 have high BBIQ and have strong fundamentals. They all lack elite athleticism, true, but I love their intangibles. Bassey is not overly athletic, but more so than the previous 4. His BBIQ is ok, not great. However, he is a very good paint player, especially on defense. He also has 3pt range, which could allow him to be our starting 4. Zaire is just a freak. He is the one on the list with the highest upside, but also needs the most work. He has the body, length, speed, and hops, but his game is so incomplete. He is one of those who relies so much on his God given ability, but has not taken the time to practice and hone those abilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^I want to know what Ziaire does that classifies him as a freak. He's not explosive, he can barely get by his man and when he does, he doesn't go all the way to the hoop as if he's afraid of contact. In what way is he a freak?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kispert.

I need to see more of him. His rise is atypical, right? As a junior, barely on the radar. But now top ten, without much change in his game? There’s an interesting argument that his shooting numbers were bolstered by operating in the shadow of Suggs who drew all the defensive attention. It’s possible he’s overvalued. It’s possible he’s wildly overvalued. Yet, we really need shooting, so it’s an interesting dilemma. But is the rest of his game worth the high pick? Maybe. Not sure yet.

But then I read about these sleepers who can shoot: https://www.wyexpect.com/stories/202...in-plain-sight

And then I wonder if we could find 1-dimensional shooting elsewhere?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kispert.

I need to see more of him. His rise is atypical, right? As a junior, barely on the radar. But now top ten, without much change in his game? There’s an interesting argument that his shooting numbers were bolstered by operating in the shadow of Suggs who drew all the defensive attention. It’s possible he’s overvalued. It’s possible he’s wildly overvalued. Yet, we really need shooting, so it’s an interesting dilemma. But is the rest of his game worth the high pick? Maybe. Not sure yet.

But then I read about these sleepers who can shoot: https://www.wyexpect.com/stories/202...in-plain-sight

And then I wonder if we could find 1-dimensional shooting elsewhere?
    I feel the Pelicans will/should get Kispert. They're in desperate need for shooting. He'd play well and get A LOT of looks with Zion playing inside.

As for a Spurs fit, I think they should go after complete players first before they settle for these 1-dimensional types. It's like walking backwards after they've gotten rid of Bryn, Marco, and soon Mills. I'd rather they complete their vision of whatever it is, than go back to driving us nuts with these 1-dimensional types and their zero defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Side note:

Raptors have a big hole at C in which they have been shuffling their rotation at that position all season long. They may be a landing spot for Sengun (unless they land in the top 4), unless they plan to go after Lauri Markkanen or another big in the offseason.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After years of torture watching dumb players, all I want is a smart player. Don't care who. I'm spoiled by the old days when the team barely made any mistakes. Sengun seems like a player with fundamentals, which I like.

Let's go back to the days when the team was a well-oiled machine. For me personally, I don't need a star to be entertained by Spurs basketball. Don't need a Tim Duncan big man, nor an exciting wing. Watching players play the right way with minimal mistakes is extremely fun to me. The Spurs aren't doing that right now.
    In a league trying to eliminate defensive I doubt you’ll ever get what you want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the Pelicans will/should get Kispert. They're in desperate need for shooting. He'd play well and get A LOT of looks with Zion playing inside.

As for a Spurs fit, I think they should go after complete players first before they settle for these 1-dimensional types. It's like walking backwards after they've gotten rid of Bryn, Marco, and soon Mills. I'd rather they complete their vision of whatever it is, than go back to driving us nuts with these 1-dimensional types and their zero defense.
    I agree. It will be interesting to see what the general manager says, if he says anything, about their priorities this year, at least after the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^I want to know what Ziaire does that classifies him as a freak. He's not explosive, he can barely get by his man and when he does, he doesn't go all the way to the hoop as if he's afraid of contact. In what way is he a freak?
    I’m trying to get up to speed on that player as well. It definitely sounds like he will be available when we pick…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m trying to get up to speed on that player as well. It definitely sounds like he will be available when we pick…
    Ziaire: https://youtu.be/-IhMdnyTawI

His knock seems to be his physical weakness and lack of interest in initiating contact. After watching IV avoid contact, that doesn’t sound exciting.

But, I don’t see his role as a pure scorer. In a few years, yes, ideally.

His strengths right now seem to be: one-dribble step back jumpers and the ability to guard 1-3.

Perhaps I’m trying to sell myself on him, but I see in his tape someone who is very switchable from PG to wing on defense, gets a ton of deflections, and when locked in can be a strong defensive presence. That’s pretty good for a 6’8” wing who was very highly recruited as a scorer. His small frame may prevent him from being a strong slasher but he’s a blue chip prospect who has potential to do a lot of things, still.

Underrated passer. Underrated defender. Falling in the draft boards but that sounds like an advantage for us drafting outside the top ten. Similar situation to last year when I wanted us to consider Jaden McDaniel, a wiry 5-star prospect who was falling in the ratings.

Yeah, he’ll need some G league. But I see a one year project to start contributing with defense and simple pull-up shooting while he develops the other aspects. This could be a player that could have a long, continual growth curve as he fills out his frame and polishes his game.

Now, he could be a jerk, could be lazy, or various other reasons to cause us to pass, but I see a path for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ziaire: https://youtu.be/-IhMdnyTawI

His knock seems to be his physical weakness and lack of interest in initiating contact. After watching IV avoid contact, that doesn’t sound exciting.

But, I don’t see his role as a pure scorer. In a few years, yes, ideally.

His strengths right now seem to be: one-dribble step back jumpers and the ability to guard 1-3.

Perhaps I’m trying to sell myself on him, but I see in his tape someone who is very switchable from PG to wing on defense, gets a ton of deflections, and when locked in can be a strong defensive presence. That’s pretty good for a 6’8” wing who was very highly recruited as a scorer. His small frame may prevent him from being a strong slasher but he’s a blue chip prospect who has potential to do a lot of things, still.

Underrated passer. Underrated defender. Falling in the draft boards but that sounds like an advantage for us drafting outside the top ten. Similar situation to last year when I wanted us to consider Jaden McDaniel, a wiry 5-star prospect who was falling in the ratings.

Yeah, he’ll need some G league. But I see a one year project to start contributing with defense and simple pull-up shooting while he develops the other aspects. This could be a player that could have a long, continual growth curve as he fills out his frame and polishes his game.

Now, he could be a jerk, could be lazy, or various other reasons to cause us to pass, but I see a path for him.
    Sounds like everything Vassell already is, but with way less evidence he'll actually produce since Vassell's numbers/ advanced metrics in college trump everything Ziaire did. This guy is living off his high school fame with barely any growth since. I see gleague players who are better than him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like everything Vassell already is, but with way less evidence he'll actually produce since Vassell's numbers/ advanced metrics in college trump everything Ziaire did. This guy is living off his high school fame with barely any growth since. I see gleague players who are better than him.
    That may be true. But his game offers more upside than Vassell would be the counter. Vassell is a role player with 3 and D we hope will eventually do more. Ziaire has the package to be a much better scorer, and that is how people seem to be imagining him, but I am suggesting they develop him as a 3 n D wing role player to begin, then try to tap into his other skills over time.

Keep in mind, I’m playing devil’s advocate here in what a potential path could be. I’m not making any promises that he couldn’t end up sucking, like most draft picks, to be honest.

Thread Information