Page 42 of 171 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of agree with the "disorder" part but maybe not so much the "good character" part.

Guys like Kobe and Kawhi are almost literally sociopaths, there's something missing that they replace with cut-throat compe iveness. The need to prevail, to impose oneself, is an actual need. You can't create that if it isn't there.

Dr. Jack Ramsey, who loved David Robinson as a person, always hesitated when asked to evaluate him as a ballplayer.

Dr. Jack would finally say, "There are qualities that make us good people in almost all other aspects of life, but those same qualities, in the less-important world of compe ive basketball are not the most ideal."

And he loved Big Dave just like all of us.
    True, the good character part is probably more to make sure the player stays after his rookie contract.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rather than Kispert, I’d consider this guy in the second round.

38% 3P
    89%FT

He takes deep threes, too, off the dribble.

6’8” SF Julian Champagnie from St. John’s: https://youtu.be/eGbFZn-Jkto

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How else do you scout for that potential perfectionist/ obsessive copy cat psychological make-up?

I think another way is to see their progression as a basketball player. Have they been improving year to year? Derrick White is an example of this. Another key thing to look out for for potential Spurs players in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean Elliott on the current young core:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When I look at this team, I just see a young ball club that makes a lot of mistakes. That's just part of it," said Elliott. "They're coming in without having the fundamentals drilled into them over and over again."

Vassell played two seasons at Florida State as did Jones at Duke. Murray played one year at Washington while Walker did the same at Miami as did Johnson at Kentucky. White is the only member of the young core to play four years at the college level between Colorado and University of Colorado Colorado Springs.

Compare that to Duncan (four years at Wake Fornest) and Ginobili and Parker who played at the pro-level before making the leap to the NBA. The trio came in the NBA with fundamentals in check.
    "They're just really raw," Elliott said. "At this level, Pop doesn't have time to teach fundamentals everyday in practice. he's got to teach plays and schemes and things like that."

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/sean-elliott-big-3-era-spoiled-everyone-young-spurs-still-trying-to-figure-things-out

There it is. What I've been saying all along. . . fundamentals is #1, hence why they drafted Vassell last year. I think that will be the priority again this year.

I think it's a big myth that players who are more polished than others have low ceilings. I look at Vassell, and there's plenty to build upon with his skillset. The plus side is, his basketball IQ is already a step ahead of most and that will help him reach a higher level.

IMO,

2021 Prospects with fundamentals:
    Cade
    Mobley
    Suggs
    Kispert
    Mitc
    Sengun
    Wagner
    Moody
    Bouknight
    Duarte

2021 Prospects with glaringly bad fundamentals (players who will need to be "taught" basketball more than others):

Jalen Green
    Scottie Barnes
    Jalen Johnson
    Ziaire Williams
    Kai Jones
    Greg Brown

*unlisted players are somewhere in between and/or I didn't watch enough

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte: being a gym rat is probably a shared trait. But teams have been using psychological evaluations since the 1970s, so perhaps they have ways to at least try to gauge this. Improving year to year makes sense, but I see White as the opposite of a sociopath.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte: being a gym rat is probably a shared trait. But teams have been using psychological evaluations since the 1970s, so perhaps they have ways to at least try to gauge this. Improving year to year makes sense, but I see White as the opposite of a sociopath.
    IMO, the way White reacts to his mistakes on the court gave me an impression that he's one of those "sociopaths". He looks like he thinks about it really hard (more than others) and tries to correct it on the next play. I think his problem, what we all know by now, is his confidence. When White is good, he's really good. . . almost takeover mode as we see sometimes when Murray or Lonnie get hot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

38% 3P
    89%FT

6’8” SF Julian Champagnie from St. John’s: https://youtu.be/eGbFZn-Jkto

43% 3P
    93%FT

6’9” SF Trey Murphy III from from Virginia

or

38% 3P
    88%FT

6’8” SF Kessler Edwards from Pepperdine

Seriously, though, it looks like the Spurs should be able to get a good prospect in the second round. There are a lot of big, reasonably athletic shooters that could drop into the early 40s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean Elliott on the current young core:

"When I look at this team, I just see a young ball club that makes a lot of mistakes. That's just part of it," said Elliott. "They're coming in without having the fundamentals drilled into them over and over again."

Vassell played two seasons at Florida State as did Jones at Duke. Murray played one year at Washington while Walker did the same at Miami as did Johnson at Kentucky. White is the only member of the young core to play four years at the college level between Colorado and University of Colorado Colorado Springs.

Compare that to Duncan (four years at Wake Fornest) and Ginobili and Parker who played at the pro-level before making the leap to the NBA. The trio came in the NBA with fundamentals in check.
    "They're just really raw," Elliott said. "At this level, Pop doesn't have time to teach fundamentals everyday in practice. he's got to teach plays and schemes and things like that."

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/sean-elliott-big-3-era-spoiled-everyone-young-spurs-still-trying-to-figure-things-out

There it is. What I've been saying all along. . . fundamentals is #1, hence why they drafted Vassell last year. I think that will be the priority again this year.

I think it's a big myth that players who are more polished than others have low ceilings. I look at Vassell, and there's plenty to build upon with his skillset. The plus side is, his basketball IQ is already a step ahead of most and that will help him reach a higher level.

IMO,

2021 Prospects with fundamentals:
    Cade
    Mobley
    Suggs
    Kispert
    Mitc
    Sengun
    Wagner
    Moody
    Bouknight
    Duarte

2021 Prospects with glaringly bad fundamentals (players who will need to be "taught" basketball more than others):

Jalen Green
    Scottie Barnes
    Jalen Johnson
    Ziaire Williams
    Kai Jones
    Greg Brown

*unlisted players are somewhere in between and/or I didn't watch enough
    this is a nice breakdown. that being said, we do also need to fill needs-whether through the draft or FA. on the spurslandia podcast with dan patrick as the guest, patrick made the argument that pop has been reluctant to adapt to the new NBA to which bonner replied that this isn't the case. matt just asserted that the current roster just doesn't have prolific three-point shooters. this is where some of the players that could fall to the spurs, such as sengun, wouldn't help to address that problem. which is fine if that is an issue that FA can eventually address.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

43% 3P
    93%FT

or

38% 3P
    88%FT

Seriously, though, it looks like the Spurs should be able to get a good prospect in the second round. There are a lot of big, reasonably athletic shooters that could drop into the early 40s.
    What, no YouTube videos? Ha.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Safe pick: Sengun/Wagner/Giddey
    High Risk/High Reward: Jones

I'd be fine with any of these 4
    To me, Giddey isn’t safe, at all. He’s an average to below average athlete in NBA terms, and a bad shooter. I mean, there isn’t even the glimmer of hope at the FT line. He’s bad there, too. To get good passing angles, he’s going to have to be played as a credible scorer by NBA defenses. I don’t think they will after maybe the first time around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

43% 3P
    93%FT

or

38% 3P
    88%FT

I’ve studied both of those guys, and there are a lot of things to like about both. I’d give the edge to Trey. Better shooting and really good off ball defensive instincts, not to mention actual forward size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No word on the coin flip yet??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tankathon hasn’t updated yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, Giddey isn’t safe, at all. He’s an average to below average athlete in NBA terms, and a bad shooter. I mean, there isn’t even the glimmer of hope at the FT line. He’s bad there, too. To get good passing angles, he’s going to have to be played as a credible scorer by NBA defenses. I don’t think they will after maybe the first time around.
    giddey seems to be the current pick trending on some of the more recently updated mock drafts. i did see one for garuba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, just to be clear, if the Hornets get into the playoffs and the Spurs lose in the play-in, would that mean there wouldn't be a coin flip and the Spurs would get the 11th pick or what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Googled it, and no results. My guess is that they’re holding the results for the telecast tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Googled it, and no results. My guess is that they’re holding the results for the telecast tonight.
    I just realized the tweet says May 25th for the coin flip lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, just to be clear, if the Hornets get into the playoffs and the Spurs lose in the play-in, would that mean there wouldn't be a coin flip and the Spurs would get the 11th pick or what?
    They have probably done the flip already, and are waiting until TV time tonight to announce. It was supposed to happen ‘early afternoon Tuesday’. No announcement yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    am i missing something with the coin flip? don't they have to wait until after the play-in games are played?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct.

Not to confuse things further but it's still theoretically possible to win the coin flip and end up with 12 or 13 based on what happens with the lottery. For example, Spurs win the coin flip but then Charlotte and Memphis move into the top four picks. That'd push the Spurs to 13. Really, really unlikely but possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeVert is out for the pacers, btw, so that may help the hornets chances for at least tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One comp for Sengun I saw recently was Luis Scola. That oughta get the ol' Spurstalk blood flowin'.
    I'm ing sold, tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeVert is out for the pacers, btw, so that may help the hornets chances for at least tonight.
    Last I saw the Pacers were up 24 at the half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Hornets really this bad or are the Pacers this good? Spurs may have a chance tomorrow. Anything can happen.

Thread Information