Page 54 of 171 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 4270
    My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    some of u r terrible scouts.......kai jones is the prize of the draft followed by greg brown who the spurs covet..........cant believe well respected people in the thread are saying Moody, Sengun, Giddey........... smh its a burden being the best scout of talent on this site

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, if he's a legit 6-foot-7, 220 pounds, he'd be a tough player for the Spurs to pass. He has enough bulk and athleticism that you might even be able to start Murray, White, Kispert, Keldon and Poeltl. Kispert is obviously not a great athlete but he's a better athlete than Giddey, Cam, Butler and maybe one or two other potential lottery picks, FWIW.
    He looks it. I suspect his selection would not go over well here, but I'd probably prefer him over the project big wings and bigs.

Since he's older, athletically limited and not a conventional shot creator, the perception would be low ceiling. But if he can be in the mold of Bertans, Harris, Robinson, McDermott, etc., that's a potential low-high teens annual salary in 4 years, only he'll obviously be relatively inexpensive until then, which is great value at 12.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players selected between #12 to #20 last year that I'm sure folks here would be happy with:

Haliburton
    Poku
    Bey
    maybe Stewart
    then there's guys like Bane and Tillman picked after #20 doing great for their team

A couple of the guys listed above should be picked over the top 10 in that draft in a re-draft.

I'm not sure if you've bothered reading this thread, but there's guys that "we want" who are likely to be there at #12 that won't be "gone".
    Remember that last year's draft was an anomaly. The college season was cut short the year prior and so the players couldn't be scouted like years past. It was also a year where there were less opportunities to evaluate players. So there were greater opportunities for finding gems than normally is the case. The difference makers are 1-5, in terms of projection. That's the same every year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs odds of getting the first pick 1.7%
    2nd pick 1.9%
    3rd pick 2.1%
    4th pick 2.4%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, let me get this straight.. the Spurs at 12 isn’t final, just a projection, correct? And there’s still a small chance they can get a higher pick?
    Spurs odds of getting the first pick 1.7%
    2nd pick 1.9%
    3rd pick 2.1%
    4th pick 2.4%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven’t Spurs in the past been swayed by performances at the combine too? Samanic and G. Hill come to mind.
    A different scenario I guess with mid-late first rounders…

If Spurs were thinking about Desmond Bane last year, Kispert would make sense at 12, not to mention the obvious shooting draw. Both participated at the Pro basketball combine post Junior years, sought advice on what NBA teams wanted to see and then returned/implemented said advice into their senior seasons.
    Last edited by PhantomDashCam; 05-25-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would drafting a one dimensional player really be smart though? I don’t think we have the talent to defensively hide someone that can only shoot. Wouldn’t this just be another Bryn/Marco situation but just with someone that’s 6’7?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better in almost every category + on a top 3 team in the nation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better in almost every category + on a top 3 team in the nation

I still think he's the 6th best player in this draft and has the chance to be the best player on a team that can compete for the top spot in the West if his outside shot stays at 38% or better. He's not the best fit with Murray but, other than that there aren't many concerns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Patty likely gone, DD gone, with Lonny sub par, wouldnt be suprised if the Spurs took Tre Mann. Gots handles & can create. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPyFQmV_Q4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kispert compares favorably against past great shooters. His numbers are actually identical to Reggie's, except that he shot more 3's and he weighs 30+ lbs more.

Unfortunately, tankathon didn't have guys like Ray Allen, Peja, Kyle Korver in their database for me to compare Kispert to.

Kispert's WS/40 is extremely high. Very few players have it that high. The ones that do are actually good players in the NBA. This indicates to me that Kispert won't bust at all. The question is, how good will he be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My hangup with Kispert is this:

Let's assume his ceiling is one of the top shooters (without anything else) of all time... say, Reggie Miller-esque, Peja Stojakovic, Klay (without defense), Kyle Korver, Ray Allen...

Is that really a building block that would elevate the team?

I would say "yes, go for it" if the players left are too risky. But if there were other guys there.... Ehh..

I want guys with two-way potential, or at least playmaking potential to be a main engine for the team.
    Take heart. The Spurs usually want players who are secondary creators, too, at least in the first round.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would drafting a one dimensional player really be smart though? I don’t think we have the talent to defensively hide someone that can only shoot. Wouldn’t this just be another Bryn/Marco situation but just with someone that’s 6’7?
    Fair, but the fact that he's relatively big/strong + committed gives him a chance to be a non liability type a la Harris.

With Patty likely gone, DD gone, with Lonny sub par, wouldnt be suprised if the Spurs took Tre Mann. Gots handles & can create. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPyFQmV_Q4
    I'd have strong interest in trading back for Butler or Mann + trading Walker IV, but they don't do things like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depending on where we land in the draft, I like Kispert and Wagner. Both guys look like they don't need to spend 2 plus years in Austin developing.
    I like them too. I honestly don’t look too deep anymore because its so time consuming and the Spurs will pick whomever... There could be better prospects than these, with a chance to have untapped potential but sometimes this potential doesn’t pan out and the player then ends in the middle of nowhere, as an unfinished prospect, maybe not even an NBA player. I leave the ability to find the diamonds in the raw to real scouts. If I were to hit on one it would be pure chance.

Anyways I like the idea of having someone who can contribute right away and get better from there and of Kispert in particular I like that he’s not stationary shooter. He will search shot opportunities, he will cut, relocate, curl off screens, etc. These kinds of shooters add a dimension to an offense that the Spurs have been lacking in their starters and will lose if they let Mills go. I think he will fit right in.

Wagner seems like he has more size and ability to make plays off the bounce. He may be better overall because of his versatility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kispert compares favorably against past great shooters. His numbers are actually identical to Reggie's, except that he shot more 3's and he weighs 30+ lbs more.

Unfortunately, tankathon didn't have guys like Ray Allen, Peja, Kyle Korver in their database for me to compare Kispert to.

Kispert's WS/40 is extremely high. Very few players have it that high. The ones that do are actually good players in the NBA. This indicates to me that Kispert won't bust at all. The question is, how good will he be?
    Quality post ty. I was actually posting about him before I saw this. I like his game, I’d take him. I don’t mind the age because plenty of really good players have joined the league that old, and the skills that matter are already developed. There could be a higher upside I am missing. I am not doing any exhaustive research at all, but his offensive game is impressive. He will be productive for somebody right away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My hangup with Kispert is this:

Let's assume his ceiling is one of the top shooters (without anything else) of all time... say, Reggie Miller-esque, Peja Stojakovic, Klay (without defense), Kyle Korver, Ray Allen...

Is that really a building block that would elevate the team?

I would say "yes, go for it" if the players left are too risky. But if there were other guys there.... Ehh..

I want guys with two-way potential, or at least playmaking potential to be a main engine for the team.
    My counter is the Spurs are just about to the point where a shooting upgrade is mandatory. Even if they land the second coming of the Greek Freak, could they develop him right now with the lack of shooting on the roster? Probably not. I view Kispert as a needed piece that, if he pans out, will allow the real superstar to develop at some point down the line. Obviously, Kispert won't be that superstar but he looks like he can be a legit building block toward that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One dimensional might be a little unfair. He lacks the athletic profile to be a plus defender in the NBA but he's intelligent, knows what to work on and has made a point of emphasis of improving his lateral quickness (an ongoing process), to at least stay in front of most guys.

He also worked out for a couple of days with Joe Harris prior to his senior year. A Joe Harris type on this team is a definite move in the right direction.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like others, I am not too excited with Kispert because I'd rather the home run swing on a project that high.

1 dimensional shooters, even the greatest, can be found in the second round or as undrafted.

Korver, Bertans, Harris, Duncan Robinson, etc etc. Even Forbes

And if Kispert is not a plus defender, and looks like he has zero playmaking unlike a JJ Redic, then he'll probably disappoint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, Kispert won't be that superstar but he looks like he can be a legit building block toward that.
    I suppose there may be worse fates than Kispert at 12. He is a uva shooter -- I noticed that most of his 3s are from NBA range. His release is a bit low but most NBA 3s are wide open -- make or miss.

And he's an undervalued asset after his performance against Baylor -- that's always a good thing.

Still, a higher upside prospect seems the better fit.

A few years ago, Kispert could have been the icing on the cake -- now the Spurs pretty much need the cake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like others, I am not too excited with Kispert because I'd rather the home run swing on a project that high.

1 dimensional shooters, even the greatest, can be found in the second round or as undrafted.

Korver, Bertans, Harris, Duncan Robinson, etc etc. Even Forbes

And if Kispert is not a plus defender, and looks like he has zero playmaking unlike a JJ Redic, then he'll probably disappoint.

Still, a higher upside prospect seems the better fit.

A few years ago, Kispert could have been the icing on the cake -- now the Spurs pretty much need the cake.
    Tough to argue against that, tbh. Big picture-wise, the Spurs need to swing for the fences. For the reasons stated, Kispert likely isn't going to have a high ranking when I put together a Big Board. I also think he has some sneaky downside risk. A guy who was second round pick as a junior who became a lottery pick as a senior is a red flag. The history of those players isn't good.

Kispert is draftable by the Spurs in the lottery, IMO, but it'd have to be because the Spurs don't think the rest of the gambles are worth the risk.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just thinking of the Spurs type players based on either personality or skill set, or both.

Kispert.
    Duarte.
    Wagner.
    Garuba.
    Sengun.
    Moody.
    Tre Mann.

Not saying these would all be targeted with the #12 pick, but thinking of the type of players they usually go for.

I'm preparing for Kispert. And I suppose as others have said, it's not even so much about him but how he could affect how other Spurs play. If Kispert's spacing helps Keldon bulldoze to the rim more freely, for example, then I suppose I can see the benefit and get on board. I suppose he can't really be a bust at 12, but the lack of upside does seem concerning. But to flip it around, I'd rather pick Kispert than Kai Jones, for example.

I really hope we can squeeze into the top 4 and debate Suggs versus Kaminga, but that's not likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine Vassell (or White) and Kispert on the wings. They both move off the ball really well. You couldn't ask for more spacing. Murray can go jack up his mid range shots and Keldon would drive and kick all day long (though I'd hope he would have developed more of an in-between game by next season)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I love draft season! It’s gonna be interesting, on paper we need a big wing, a shooter, or a big but I don’t believe the spurs really ever draft on team needs tbh they draft the guy they feel is on the top of their big board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I love draft season! It’s gonna be interesting, on paper we need a big wing, a shooter, or a big but I don’t believe the spurs really ever draft on team needs tbh they draft the guy they feel is on the top of their big board.
    Last year they drafted on need, IMO. Without Vassell, what do they have with Lonnie underperforming and Mills & DeMar likely gone? They also don't really have a backup point without Mills, and they have Tre now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My counter is the Spurs are just about to the point where a shooting upgrade is mandatory. Even if they land the second coming of the Greek Freak, could they develop him right now with the lack of shooting on the roster? Probably not. I view Kispert as a needed piece that, if he pans out, will allow the real superstar to develop at some point down the line. Obviously, Kispert won't be that superstar but he looks like he can be a legit building block toward that.
    Eff all that. The goal shouldn't be to try to get a designated shooter to make the broken perimeter players the Spurs currently have work. There's no way they should go into next year with the plan to be to run White, Murray, Johnson and Poeltl. That's barely a more functional unit than the one this year. I have nothing against any player in the draft at this point, so this isn't me not being okay with Kispert. But even with him, the Spurs need to replace one of their perimeter starters with a guy like Vassell. Honestly, the team needs to be capable to replacing two this off-season, whether it's because Vassell takes a leap, the team drafts a player or they use some of their cap space to drag away some free agents.

IF Murray, White and/or Johnson prove themselves as starters in camp, sure keep them. But don't have them go basically unopposed. Developing them isn't the team's priority anymore, certainly not to the point where another young player like Bouknight can't develop because a bunch of meh guys keep taking turns running into defenses and burping up bad possessions. Basically, the Spurs shouldn't draft with roster fit in mind. They have plenty of cap space to worry about that. They're going to have to just take who they think will be the best player, whether that be a role-player or a potential star who'd require a complete reworking of his supporting cast to develop.

I also think that the Spurs should be more willing than every to trade some of their "core" for future value. They no longer have a leg to stand on when it comes to them "winning now", so using looking to make a deal with White, Murray and/or Poeltl makes a ton of sense. Moving any of those guys also opens up a spot for a shooter who'd make it easier to draft a guy who needs space.

Thread Information