Page 8 of 171 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My tier list as of 4/3/21:

Tier 1
    Franz Wagner - Devin Vassell 2.0. bigger, less of a shooter, more of a playmaker, better handles, same great defense, high bball IQ
    Josh Giddey - The Spurs need more "showtime". Giddey gets you on a highlight reel. Flashy passing, shooting getting better as the season goes on, rumored to be 6'8" in socks... what's not to love?

Tier 2
    Jalen Johnson - Lots of talent, but has character concerns. Would be tier 1, but I know the Spurs place character as a top trait. A modern PF, reminiscent of Aaron Gordon / Jerami Grant types.
    Scottie Barnes - Gets to the rim with ease because of his athleticism. Giannis-lite. I think he projects to be a shooter though, so probably not what the Spurs need. If Giannis has world-class work ethic and still is not a reliable shooter... that doesn't bode well for Scottie.

Tier 3
    Ayo Dosunmu - carries his college team on his back. I think he carries that success to the next level.
    Herb Jones - Personality seems like a true Spur. Excels at defense. Got better as a shooter as a senior. Old, but maybe another Derrick White type that can help the team.
    Sandro Mamukelashvili - Big playmaker who seems well suited for the NBA
    Jeremiah Earl Robinson - Modern PF. Aaron Gordon vibes.

Tier 4
    Amar Sylla - if the Spurs believe he has Siakam potential
    Usman Garuba - Great defense, but has terrible offense.
    Isaiah Todd - If the Spurs need another stretch big
    Vrenz Bleijenbergh - Has some Samanic vibes, but maybe more playmaking ability

Not listed:
    Ziaire Williams - put forth performance after performance. Not sure what people see here.
    Greg Brown - Low IQ
    Kai Jones - Too similar to Poeltl in terms of what he brings
    Isaiah Jackson - Too similar to Poeltl in terms of what he brings
    Trendon Watford - Great skill, but after watching him play more dude showboats like crazy that it drives me crazy. this guy

I think I'm forgetting a couple + haven't watched enough of others
    I'm higher on Wagner than the Vassell comp... I think in 3 years his comp will be more Luka Doncic-level than Vassell... (I know I'm in the vast minority on that).

My personal top 5

Cunningham
    Mobley
    Kuminga
    Wagner
    Suggs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait. What happened to that 18 yr old Turkish kid?
    Whoops forgot him. Probably tier 3.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Game from today features a couple blocks, a nice steal, a couple made 3s, and the expected flashy passes we've come to expect from him.

Giddey has such a polished game that I didn't realize how young he was. He won't be 19 until October. Also, nice BP3 cameo in the highlight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since I could see them targeting McDermott in free agency, I could obviously see them targeting Kispert in the draft first and they're likely to end up picking in his current projected range of late lottery too.

The number one thing I want to see them place a premium on and target in every acquisition from now on, is 3-point shooting. I don't care if some higher ranked prospect with intriguing physical tools falls to them or projects to be available in their range. If they're not already minimally above average (% + volume), forget it.

Already, there's an issue going forward with Murray, Poeltl and Johnson. They can't afford to exacerbate it further.
    Poodle will never be a shooter, and doesn’t have to be. Murray and KJ just need to bump theirs up a bit to league average, 35%.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tier 1
    Franz Wagner - Devin Vassell 2.0. bigger, less of a shooter, more of a playmaker, better handles, same great defense, high bball IQ
    Josh Giddey - The Spurs need more "showtime". Giddey gets you on a highlight reel. Flashy passing, shooting getting better as the season goes on, rumored to be 6'8" in socks... what's not to love?

Tier 2
    Jalen Johnson - Lots of talent, but has character concerns. Would be tier 1, but I know the Spurs place character as a top trait. A modern PF, reminiscent of Aaron Gordon / Jerami Grant types.
    Scottie Barnes - Gets to the rim with ease because of his athleticism. Giannis-lite. I think he projects to be a shooter though, so probably not what the Spurs need. If Giannis has world-class work ethic and still is not a reliable shooter... that doesn't bode well for Scottie.

Tier 3
    Ayo Dosunmu - carries his college team on his back. I think he carries that success to the next level.
    Herb Jones - Personality seems like a true Spur. Excels at defense. Got better as a shooter as a senior. Old, but maybe another Derrick White type that can help the team.

Tier 4

Not listed:
    Ziaire Williams - put forth performance after performance. Not sure what people see here.
    Greg Brown - Low IQ
    Trendon Watford - Great skill, but after watching him play more dude showboats like crazy that it drives me crazy. this guy

Kai Jones shot 38% on 3p - how is that similar to Poeltl? Not as good as a defender, but he can shoot and is athletic. I have him higher than Wagner.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Check out the two Baylor guards this weekend... they are interesting in different ways...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kai Jones shot 38% on 3p - how is that similar to Poeltl? Not as good as a defender, but he can shoot and is athletic. I have him higher than Wagner.
    I think NBA teams will use him more inside than outside. Kind of how Brooklyn has not made use of Nic Claxton's playmaking ability (and 3 point shooting) that he showed in college... simply because there are other players better on the team that they'd rather put Nic inside because of his height.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good call I think also about Kai.
    Have not seen enough of Wagner except his last game in tourney where he threw up on himself and against FSU where he looked all world.
    Kai I think will be a good NBA player

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way do I want anything to do with Jalen Johnson = headcase

I like Karl Franz Wagner and Giddey just has that Alpha at ude he would definitely help the team and the organization sale seats

My pipe dream is Moses Moody dude is just a killer definitely All Star

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poodle will never be a shooter, and doesn’t have to be. Murray and KJ just need to bump theirs up a bit to league average, 35%.
    Poodle a shooter now that is a stretch how about he just doesn't AIR BALL his Free Throw's ------ They are called "FREE" for a reason!

I understand Keldon needs to raise his 3 ball but his bread and butter is taking it to the whole and Poodle will be in the paint with his man defending him which clogs up the middle which is why teams are killing us when defending against us. Also, even if they stood out and hit 3 all day Poodle could still not take advantage of any mismatch as he has no post moves and can barely dunk the ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just now learning about Giddey through other people's posts. Really exciting player. Play-making potential looks through the roof. Would love to have him. Wagner would be a great fit as well. I think we need to pick at 13-15 to have a realistic shot at those dudes though, which frustrates me because I think we will wind up pick 17-20 tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just now learning about Giddey through other people's posts. Really exciting player. Play-making potential looks through the roof. Would love to have him. Wagner would be a great fit as well. I think we need to pick at 13-15 to have a realistic shot at those dudes though, which frustrates me because I think we will wind up pick 17-20 tbh.
    I think we end up picking from 10-12... Giddey should be there but, Wagner will be gone..

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I go back and forth on trading one of those as well... I think part of thecreasin for me is because we don't have enough shooters and we need to replace DJ or White in the SL with a real shooter and have one come off the bench and I have no confidence that the staff will do that.
    I agree with that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't implying otherwise. I'm just saying, that's already two poor - non 3-point shooting starters who they've extended and given how they operate, it's safe to say are entrenched. They can't afford a third.

That's overly simplistic. They need to get the defense to respect them and shooting 35% doesn't automatically do that. They need to significantly increase their volume and quicken their releases too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luke Garza...Player of the year...shot 44% from 3... I haven't watched him play one game..... What's the knock on him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luke Garza...Player of the year...shot 44% from 3... I haven't watched him play one game..... What's the knock on him?
    Slow
    Really slow footed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't implying otherwise. I'm just saying, that's already two poor - non 3-point shooting starters who they've extended and given how they operate, it's safe to say are entrenched. They can't afford a third.

That's overly simplistic. They need to get the defense to respect them and shooting 35% doesn't automatically do that. They need to significantly increase their volume and quicken their releases too.
    35% would be fine. The point isn’t to be knock down 3 point shooters with rattlesnake quick releases, the point is to shoot league average so they have to guard you. 35% is the same efficiency as shooting 52.5% inside the arc. DeRozan, mid range wizard the he is, doesn’t even do that. 35% opens up the paint.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

Tier 4

Not listed:
    Greg Brown - Low IQ

Really interesting.

I will have Sengun in my tier 1, i like guiddey high IQ, high ceilling i think ,really complete and young player. He will be in my tier 1 or 2.

I will also have Earl Robinson in my tier 2 and if we talk about talent johnson is in my tier 1.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    35% would be fine. The point isn’t to be knock down 3 point shooters with rattlesnake quick releases, the point is to shoot league average so they have to guard you. 35% is the same efficiency as shooting 52.5% inside the arc. DeRozan, mid range wizard the he is, doesn’t even do that. 35% opens up the paint.
    Within' reason, volume > %. Nah, the point is shooting frequently, well and quick enough for the defense to pay them at least some mind.

Johnson was shooting 35%+ in the bubble and early in the season, yet defenses correctly disregarded him because of the attributes I mentioned, plus his lack of track record.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a PF who can shoot at least 38% from three (at least 4 per game) and a 75%+ free throw (because of Poeltl)?? Because that’s what this team needs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a PF who can shoot at least 38% from three (at least 4 per game) and a 75%+ free throw (because of Poeltl)?? Because that’s what this team needs.
    Wagner is shooting 37% from 3 and over 80% FT's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whoever said Kispert looks like Korver that is right on. The shot right before half against UCLA-it looked like Korver coming around the screen to bury the jumper but it was Kispert.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Impressed with Joel Ayayi out of Gonzaga. Could be a nice player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I recall Kira Lewis was a hit among ST posters in last year's draft. Doesn't bode well for him right now with the Pels signing Isaiah Thomas. Is he so bad he can't earn minutes on the team?

The reason we need to examine players like Kira is to adjust the way we look at these players.

I remember liking Kira because he had NBA level speed, and a lot of posters including myself thought he could use that to be a really good player someday. Some folks here thought he would be better than DJ, White.

The book isn't closed on Kira, but it's not looking good.

It's good to be cautious with the 2021 point guard prospects and how we claim they would be better than the guys we have now. Sure, there could be a couple but not likely to be many.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was reading up on Aaron Nesmith and what's going on with him and found this:

"This is pretty par for the course for Brad. I think he takes a very college approach of: if he doesn't think you're ready he really won't play you, or definitely not with regularity. He definitely seems to avoid a lot of "developmental minutes" I'd say.

Jaylen was a top 3 pick and averaged 17mpg as a rookie. Rozier is probably the best comp for any of these guys. He averaged 8mpg as a rookie and had tons of DNPs (and most of those minutes came towards the end of the season). The next season he was up to 17mpg and then obviously exploded in the playoffs. Ultimately, I think this is how Brad likes to bring in young players. I don't think it is necessarily a huge reflection on Nesmith other than this is how Brad thinks he can best get him ready for the league?"

Sound familiar?

Thread Information