Page 92 of 171 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun and Turkey just tipped off.

Sengun starting at the #4. Looks leaner. Moving well on D so far. Be huge for him if he can guard consistently on the perimeter.

Early days obviously….
    live stats: http://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/canad...y#tab=overview

and game is on ESPN+

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it doesn't mean that at all... it means that you should trust your scouting. While the odds are low that a PG or C is the BPA at #12 if your scouting says he is then you pick him.
    Different philosophies, I guess. I’d rather go all-in with an Ace and a King than two 3’s, but that’s just me. I think scouting will end up finding that there’s a more talented player at the positions I listed regardless of what we feel about how the Spurs should draft when it comes to BPA (more talent at the top, like you said), but we’re not in the war room with those scouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The question we ask is, why do teams avoid drafting point guards and centers in that range?

The question I would ask is how many SG could be considered PGs or CGs, and how many of your PF could also be Cs or SF?

We’ve been trending to the idea of position-less basketball for at least 5 years.
    If guys are only capable of playing one position, they are likely going to slide- unless they’re an outlier, all-star type consensus lock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question I would ask is how many SG could be considered PGs or CGs, and how many of your PF could also be Cs or SF?

We’ve been trending to the idea of position-less basketball for at least 5 years.
    If guys are only capable of playing one position, they are likely going to slide- unless they’re an outlier, all-star type consensus lock.
    I didn’t go by what they were listed at the time they were drafted. I checked what position they play now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different philosophies, I guess. I’d rather go all-in with an Ace and a King than two 3’s, but that’s just me. I think scouting will end up finding that there’s a more talented player at the positions I listed regardless of what we feel about how the Spurs should draft when it comes to BPA (more talent at the top, like you said), but we’re not in the war room with those scouts.
    That's true, we are both speculating on what the war room sees. You're basically arguing that a C or PG won't be BPA at #12 and I don't disagree that that will likely be the case. I'm just arguing that if the FO (war room) believes a PG or C is BPA at that point they should take him because we aren't good enough to draft for need or to draft to protect a player on the roster. We aren't that far apart on this I don't believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only time outside of G league games where ESPN+ streaming is useful. Thanks, I will tune into it for the second half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draymond Green taking Jeremiah Earl Robinson under his wing. Workouts and everything. Doesn’t seem like anyone else is there. How happy I would be if we came away with both Duarte and JRE. That haul would be huge for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nbabigboard.com/p/podcas...-draft-combine

Chad Ford Pod. w/ Jeremy Woo from SI.com

Both agreed that Jalen Johnson had to excel in interviews as there are still a few questions there.
    Unfortunately, while he didn't appear to do anything to damage his stock; he didn't help it enough. Teams were still left a little wondering.
    Playing cards close to his vest - can be frustrating for GMs.

I'd say the Spurs chances of drafting JJ are unlikely.
    Or possibly a promise already from a team?? My Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I look into these players and where they could be drafted, the more I think that Alperen Sengun is going to the guy drafted by the Spurs. For a 18 year old big, he is ultra-skilled in the low post and that is a huge huge sell, even in an era where bigs are played less at the post. He is definitely a star in the making. Depends on him to take his game to the modern era better. And the Spurs would be the best place for him to develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun finished with 15 pts on 4/6 field goals and 7/8 free throws. He didn't attempt any threes. He also pulled 7 boards and dishes 4 assists. Basically, this game was a microcosm of his current skill set.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some highlights from the Turkish NT YouTube page

**Disregard, first video is vs Sweden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Caught a little bit of the game. Alperen is totally an old school big. Reminded me of Jokic, the way he was persistent in backing down his man in the post. However, it sort of casts doubt for me that this is the direction the Spurs want to go. It would be a return to a style of basketball they were adamant on dropping as soon as they decided to move on from Aldridge. I have trouble imagining them restructuring once again and going back to a slow paced style of basketball. It would imply that the Spurs view Sengun’s talent as generational, if they do end up going this route.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Caught a little bit of the game. Alperen is totally an old school big. Reminded me of Jokic, the way he was persistent in backing down his man in the post. However, it sort of casts doubt for me that this is the direction the Spurs want to go. It would be a return to a style of basketball they were adamant on dropping as soon as they decided to move on from Aldridge. I have trouble imagining them restructuring once again and going back to a slow paced style of basketball. It would imply that the Spurs view Sengun’s talent as generational, if they do end up going this route.
    I understand what you're talking about. Imo the Spurs will not take a player for his style of play, plus Sengun is playing more close to the basket than aldridge : they are different offensively.

Last year Spurs were not a team with a very good pace or who score a lot of Fastbreak points ( not bad either), Sengun will not change the game more than Poetl.

We'll see, your point is legit but as always they will go with the BPA....Sengun or another.

And as your talk about that, who will fit the system better ? and what's the spurs style of play last year and in the future, i think it's fuzzy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be repeating myself but Sengun seems like an 8 man rotation deep playoffs player to me.

Because he can get in the game off the bench and with his craft and skill will generate points. So few players now can get theirs in the playoffs. Anyone watching the series can see. Brook Lopez unable to punish the Nets, Landry Shamet able to stay on the court and not get posted and scored on. The Hawks able to play Young and Lou Williams at the same time. The Jazz completely unable to punish the small clippers. The Sun's unable to do the same without Ayton on the court.

Sengun will be able to walk smalls down and score. If he's doubled and people cut he'll find them. That's valuable. He reminds me a little of the 2014 Diaw but with more intent to score and less nimble feet on defense. He should be able to have a role on real contender, maybe it's only off the bench, but I think it will be real.

With the switching defenses and refs letting so much go on the clutching and grabbing and bumping, so many players can't score on their own and they can't get advantages to play their team game, so it's 3 point shooting and iso. Sengun should be able to thrive in that environment with his craft, touch and strength.

I think that has a place on the Spurs if they ever make the playoffs again.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be repeating myself but Sengun seems like an 8 man rotation deep playoffs player to me.

Because he can get in the game off the bench and with his craft and skill will generate points. So few players now can get theirs in the playoffs. Anyone watching the series can see. Brook Lopez unable to punish the Nets, Landry Shamet able to stay on the court and not get posted and scored on. The Hawks able to play Young and Lou Williams at the same time. The Jazz completely unable to punish the small clippers. The Sun's unable to do the same without Ayton on the court.

Sengun will be able to walk smalls down and score. If he's doubled and people cut he'll find them. That's valuable. He reminds me a little of the 2014 Diaw but with more intent to score and less nimble feet on defense. He should be able to have a role on real contender, maybe it's only off the bench, but I think it will be real.

With the switching defenses and refs letting so much go on the clutching and grabbing and bumping, so many players can't score on their own and they can't get advantages to play their team game, so it's 3 point shooting and iso. Sengun should be able to thrive in that environment with his craft, touch and strength.

I think that has a place on the Spurs if they ever make the playoffs again.
    Solid points.

Also, Spurs love to go against groupthink. Sengun definitely should find a role in the NBA. And if Sengun already changed his body, then to me that shows a great work ethic. It took Jokic like 5 years to lose his beer belly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Sengun was solid today.

The Offense is legit - High IQ, great at sealing his man, requires a double in the post at all times, makes the right pass/read a high percentage of the time.

The defense though, huge question marks for me.

He has a really solid understanding of coverages and positioning but it just seems at times the body is unable to react quick enough to counter what is required.

He was half step slow on rim contests even though you could tell he was trying his hardest to arrive in time to alter shots.

Now this can certainly be improved upon in time. The big one though is he was flat footed on a few switches and his man got all the way to the rim and scored quite easily. Not sure if there were communication issues within the Turkey team or not.
    But I can see NBA shot creators lining up to feast. This was against the #45th ranked team in the world too.
    Something to keep an eye on.

Really impressed though that an 18 y.o got to close a hotly contested game in the 4th. They were clearly better with him on the floor.

I also wonder if he is a legit 6”10’.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand what you're talking about. Imo the Spurs will not take a player for his style of play, plus Sengun is playing more close to the basket than aldridge : they are different offensively.

Last year Spurs were not a team with a very good pace or who score a lot of Fastbreak points ( not bad either), Sengun will not change the game more than Poetl.

We'll see, your point is legit but as always they will go with the BPA....Sengun or another.

And as your talk about that, who will fit the system better ? and what's the spurs style of play last year and in the future, i think it's fuzzy.
    I don't think Sengun plays like Aldridge, only that they are similar in how they both dribble in the post for a few seconds and decide whether to pass or score. Sengun plays more like Isaiah Stewart of last year, but not as strong and has more fundamentals. Daniel Oturu is someone similar to Aldridge, if we're talking about prospects.

They may not have been very good pace-wise, but they were trending that way after Aldridge was shut down. Not only pace, but more movement in the half-court set as opposed to all guys floating on the perimeter waiting for Aldridge to do his move (something they also do when DeMar does his ISO's). I think the Spurs are heading into a direction where there is more movement in the half-court set, more screens set, more off-ball manuevering, play-making from multiple ball-handlers, etc.

Players who will fit the projected system better (assuming they don't completely switch it up again): versatile players who can guard multiple positions, can handle the ball, pass, shoot. Perhaps more importantly, shot creation, which is lacking from everyone except Murray and a little bit of White. The lack of shot creation outside of those two and DeRozan is why they didn't have as much success as they should have, as well as the poor basketball IQ on all fronts from the team. There were losses this past year that could have been saved with better execution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do folks think about Sando Mamukelashvili as a 2nd round pick? Just stumbled across his pro day video: https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...84004620836873

I don't know how he projects on the defensive end, but he seems incredibly skilled and mobile on the offensive end for a player his size. I had not heard of him before today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but Sengun is doing this at 18 against older, stronger opponents which means that his game is way advanced for his age. And allows the Spurs to build his repertoire (three point shooting, passing from the post, defense etc) with such a strong base. Unlike getting a finished product and a star like LMA who was unwilling to change anything as the era changed around him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like Charlotte and SAC are the only two teams that might take Sengun before us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but Sengun is doing this at 18 against older, stronger opponents which means that his game is way advanced for his age. And allows the Spurs to build his repertoire (three point shooting, passing from the post, defense etc) with such a strong base. Unlike getting a finished product and a star like LMA who was unwilling to change anything as the era changed around him.
    I really like Sengun's style of basketball. I mean his bball IQ is just up there with his passing, court awareness, and he has great footwork in the paint and touches around the rim. He actually reminds me a lot of Timmy but shorter height and wingspan. I like him. But is he big and physical enough to play the PF/C in the NBA?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like Charlotte and SAC are the only two teams that might take Sengun before us
    With their luck, that'll probably happen, he'll go on to become Sabonis 2.0 (it's fair to question how valuable this archetype is in the playoffs in this era, but for a team more concerned with being "compe ive" than building a contender and in desperate need of offensive focal points, can they really afford to pass on a potential international one at that?) and they'll pick another undersized role player who can't shoot.

One time, I just want to see a pulse. If, as many of us expect, he's their target and he goes to either of those teams, try to trade up. Failing that or if they're not enamored with anyone at their pick, try to trade back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My personal updated BB from a few days ago.

1. Cade Cunningham
    2. Evan Mobley
    3. Jonathan Kuminga
    4. Jalen Green
    5. Jalen Suggs
    6. Franz Wagner
    7. Scottie Barnes
    8. Moses Moody
    9. Alperen Sengun
    10. Josh Giddey
    11. James Bouknight
    12. Keon Johnson
    13. Kai Jones
    14. Jalen Johnson
    15. Corey Kispert
    16. Chris Duarte
    17. Trey Murphy
    18. Jaden Springer
    19. Tre Mann
    20. Sharife Cooper
    21. Davion Mitc
    22. Usman Garuba
    23. JT Thor
    24. Isaiah Jackson
    25. Joshua Primo
    26. Ayo Dosunmu
    27. Joe Weiskamp
    28. Roko Prkacin
    29. Jared Butler
    30. Zaire Williams

I'd really like to add another pick in the 20's..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My personal updated BB from a few days ago.

1. Cade Cunningham
    2. Evan Mobley
    3. Jonathan Kuminga
    4. Jalen Green
    5. Jalen Suggs
    6. Franz Wagner
    7. Scottie Barnes
    8. Moses Moody
    9. Alperen Sengun
    10. Josh Giddey
    11. James Bouknight
    12. Keon Johnson
    13. Kai Jones
    14. Jalen Johnson
    15. Corey Kispert
    16. Chris Duarte
    17. Trey Murphy
    18. Jaden Springer
    19. Tre Mann
    20. Sharife Cooper
    21. Davion Mitc
    22. Usman Garuba
    23. JT Thor
    24. Isaiah Jackson
    25. Joshua Primo
    26. Ayo Dosunmu
    27. Joe Weiskamp
    28. Roko Prkacin
    29. Jared Butler
    30. Zaire Williams

I'd really like to add another pick in the 20's..
    No giddey,wagner,moody,bouknight or sengun for us.....depressing af

Thread Information