Page 99 of 171 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/W2sUFt0WCsI

duarte says he will have a workout july 6 with the spurs.

gs interested in him at 14, will spurs return the favor by picking him at 12? remember sa wanted klay and gs got him at 11 that year...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, they're not. Not even close.
    Yes, they are. You're overrating D-League quite badly. Gonzaga or Baylor would have roughed up most D-League teams. You don't understand the value of a well-coached, cohesive unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Duarte love is starting to feel a little over exuberant, but hey, I have said upperclassmen are underrated and overlooked at times, and this is probably one of them. And I’d love for a player to jump in and play. And if this forces the FO to trade one of DJ, White, or Lonnie to balance the roster, then great.

But then I think, if drafting Duarte necessitates trading one of our other young guards, then why not consider trading them to swap picks and move up? Doesn’t have to go that way, but it does raise a lot of possibilities.
    It's as much because most players coming out of the draft at this range are underwhelming and underprepared. With Duarte you have a guy who is much better all-around than most anybody in the round. Bouknight, Moody, question marks. Kai Jones, way more than question marks. Plus Duarte has a lot of the other things the team needs in terms of personality and intangibles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine a backcourt with DJ and this guy @ just 20 yo
    Last edited by alfahdlan; 07-03-2021 at 03:40 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, they are. You're overrating D-League quite badly. Gonzaga or Baylor would have roughed up most D-League teams. You don't understand the value of a well-coached, cohesive unit.
    Gonzaga and Baylor would lose by 30+ against the average g league team. College level is very low.

What’s next though? College better than euroleague?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you just have to erase from your mind that he’s 24, and take the time to watch him. 90% of the players in this draft won’t get to his level when they turn 24. , Lonnie is a year and a half from it and he’s nowhere close. Sometimes the smart choice is the obvious choice. People like to gamble on purely the theoretical future of a player, place the utmost optimistic scenario for said player, and in 3-4 years when that player hasn’t met their potential, forget all about them. How many people forget they were so sure about Rui Hachimura being the next Kawhi Leonard? Duarte is the real deal, right now.
    Why would I erase the fact that he's 24? That's a huge deal. Most Spurs rookies don't play so he'd be 25 before he'd likely even play. There are prospects with higher upsides that are also significantly younger that I like more.

He'd make a lot more since as a pick in the 20's tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

gs interested in him at 14, will spurs return the favor by picking him at 12? remember sa wanted klay and gs got him at 11 that year...
    He'd make sense for GS at 14, they're looking to contend next season. Not so much for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. On pure talent alone the d-league team is so far ahead. It's like how the USANT wins gold even if they bring their C team. The international teams are well coached, know the rules better and have some legit or even star NBA players. But everyone on the USANT is a star NBA player, the difference is obvious, even though the USANT is basically learning to walk for the whole tournament since every squad is radically different.

Even on the best college teams, most of the players are good enough to play in the d-league. The guys who will be solid or star NBA players are still basically kids going against grown men. In seven-game series, the d-league team would win every time (outside of like injuries).

The ranking for US leagues goes:

NBA
    Summer League
    D-League
    NCAA (with its internal stratification)

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's as much because most players coming out of the draft at this range are underwhelming and underprepared. With Duarte you have a guy who is much better all-around than most anybody in the round. Bouknight, Moody, question marks. Kai Jones, way more than question marks. Plus Duarte has a lot of the other things the team needs in terms of personality and intangibles.
    I get all that. About a month ago I think I was the first one who suggested taking him with our first pick because his game doesn’t have glaring holes like many players. The reaction was to trade back for him. My thought was he was likely this year’s Desmond Bane. To me he’s a safe pick more than he promises upside of Klay Thompson.

At that time I also wondered why people were sleeping on Jeremiah Earl Robinson when he seemed like a more affordable version of Wagner.

So yes, as I’ve gotten older I prefer the safer pick, in part because waiting three years for a rookie to play, especially during a rebuild, is way too frustrating for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duarte definitely has a smooth looking shot but too many people are watching highlights only. He has big decision making issues, but maybe it's more of a take a risk type mentality like Manu had. I'm not sure yet.

What he doesn't have, is Manus passing. I've never seen a player throw a pass into the stands more than Duarte. Its perplexing. His defense leaves a lot to want as well. He often simply doesn't seem to understand how to play that side of the ball. He shows flashes of being able to, but at 24, why does he seem so immature on that side of the ball? Maybe because his team leaned on him so much on offense, he wouldn't have energy for defense? I'm not sure.

Kid definitely has the klay like jumper and it hardly touches anything but net when he's in rhythm.

I don't care about age outside of you should probably have maturity and understanding on both sides of the ball. When watching him, it feels like he's a lot younger and not for a good reason.

Just some red flags here and there that don't leave me loving him at 12 with other possible viable players with a better overall game and younger. If he ends up being a 50 percent 3 pt shooter, nothing else he does will matter as much. It's good to note he excels as a system shooter. All those open shots our team passes up, he would gladly let them fly, as he should.

This will be an exciting draft to see unfold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

holy !! Our spanish speakers coming through!! Big props to you, my man

Edit: It doesn't seem like he'll be available after the 18th pick.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 07-03-2021 at 07:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would I erase the fact that he's 24? That's a huge deal. Most Spurs rookies don't play so he'd be 25 before he'd likely even play. There are prospects with higher upsides that are also significantly younger that I like more.

He'd make a lot more since as a pick in the 20's tbh
    So you didn’t bother to watch him play. Got it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duarte definitely has a smooth looking shot but too many people are watching highlights only. He has big decision making issues, but maybe it's more of a take a risk type mentality like Manu had. I'm not sure yet.

What he doesn't have, is Manus passing. I've never seen a player throw a pass into the stands more than Duarte. Its perplexing. His defense leaves a lot to want as well. He often simply doesn't seem to understand how to play that side of the ball. He shows flashes of being able to, but at 24, why does he seem so immature on that side of the ball? Maybe because his team leaned on him so much on offense, he wouldn't have energy for defense? I'm not sure.

Kid definitely has the klay like jumper and it hardly touches anything but net when he's in rhythm.

I don't care about age outside of you should probably have maturity and understanding on both sides of the ball. When watching him, it feels like he's a lot younger and not for a good reason.

Just some red flags here and there that don't leave me loving him at 12 with other possible viable players with a better overall game and younger. If he ends up being a 50 percent 3 pt shooter, nothing else he does will matter as much. It's good to note he excels as a system shooter. All those open shots our team passes up, he would gladly let them fly, as he should.

This will be an exciting draft to see unfold.
    The video I've posted earlier contained 50% lowlights.

Here's a full game for people's reference.

IMO, Manu himself didn't develop his passing until later in his career.

People ignoring his ball handling ability is perplexing to me. I get the shot comparisons with Klay, but everything else? Nope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Known interviews:

• Keon Johnson*
    • Kai Jones*
    • Corey Kispert*
    • LJ Figueroa*

Known workouts:

• Josh Primo
    • Trey Murphy III
    • Joe Wieskamp
    • Austin Reaves
    • Yves Pons
    • Ethan Thompson
    • Chris Duarte
    • MaCio Teague

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Known interviews:

• Keon Johnson*
    • Kai Jones*
    • Corey Kispert*
    • LJ Figueroa*

Known workouts:

• Josh Primo
    • Trey Murphy III
    • Joe Wieskamp
    • Austin Reaves
    • Yves Pons
    • Ethan Thompson
    • Chris Duarte
    • MaCio Teague
    If the spurs draft a forward or guard at 12 they will probably go for a big at 41. We still have 50 million to spend in free agency so it really also depends on whom they may target in free agency as well. The more you think about it, the more possibilities appear which make the decision on whom to draft more complex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Johnson is such an interesting case. There was obviously something odd & combative going on between him & Coach K. In JJ's first game at Duke he went off for 19 points, 19 rebounds, 5 assists, & 4 blocks while shooting 100% from the field. He plays 35 minutes, and they win. Next two games, he plays 22 and 15 minutes. He plays sparingly in more games. When he finally gets big minutes again in game #9 against Pittsburgh, he produces 24 points, 16 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 blocks, and 2 steals. I don't know exactly what the issues were, and he does seem a little defensive and off in interviews sometimes, but man, when he gets minutes he sure does seem incredibly productive. I know there were supposedly issues in high school too, but he did also win his high school state championship with a 20/20 game. I just can't really get a very full sense of his personality from the limited interviews available online. But, , if he gets his head screwed on straight (assuming it's not, as so many reports seem to indicate), he might be as good as Cade Cunningham. I hope the kid can get it all figured out, because his game is impressive.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 07-03-2021 at 09:58 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you didn’t bother to watch him play. Got it.
    No I did, I just don't see any reason why someone would want the Spurs to take him 12th. There are prospects that are a lot younger with higher upsides that I prefer. If we had another pick in the twenties, then sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Johnson is such an interesting case. There was obviously something odd & combative going on between him & Coach K. In JJ's first game at Duke he went off for 19 points, 19 rebounds, 5 assists, & 4 blocks while shooting 100% from the field. He plays 35 minutes, and they win. Next two games, he plays 22 and 15 minutes. He plays sparingly in more games. When he finally gets big minutes again in game #9 against Pittsburgh, he produces 24 points, 16 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 blocks, and 2 steals. I don't know exactly what the issues were, and he does seem a little defensive and off in interviews sometimes, but man, when he gets minutes he sure does seem incredibly productive. I know there were supposedly issues in high school too, but he did also win his high school state championship with a 20/20 game. I just can't really get a very full sense of his personality from the limited interviews available online. But, , if he gets his head screwed on straight (assuming it's not, as so many reports seem to indicate), he might be as good as Cade Cunningham. I hope the kid can get it all figured out, because his game is impressive.
    That WOW game was against Coppin State. The next few games were against better compe ion, Michigan State being one of them.

His HS issues weren’t with the school he won the state championship with. He had enrolled with one of those basketball magnet schools for his senior year, and quit without playing a game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understand how people can make a statement "I'm concerned about his lack of athleticism, but he's very Manu-esque". Manu was basically unknown at his draft and was picked simply because he was the most athletic of the remaining draftees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard to pass up his Star potential when he gets some stability. And hopefully the Spurs can give him that as their Star player. And Spurs desperately need a Star player to build around. I really hope he’s available at 12th and the Spurs would give him a chance.
    Last edited by John B; 07-03-2021 at 10:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone follow Seton Hall? I am curious about F Sandro Mamukelashvili. I know he is 6'11, has good handles for a guy his size, can pass well, and has 3 pt range. However, I don't want to rely on highlight videos. How good is his D? Can he play D on the perimeter and/or on the low block? How is his rebounding? Is he foul and/or turnover prone?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone follow Seton Hall? I am curious about F Sandro Mamukelashvili. I know he is 6'11, has good handles for a guy his size, can pass well, and has 3 pt range. However, I don't want to rely on highlight videos. How good is his D? Can he play D on the perimeter and/or on the low block? How is his rebounding? Is he foul and/or turnover prone?
    I only know rudimentary info. about him atm.
    He’s scheduled for a big workout soon with plenty of his peers.
    Will be the last real measuring stick before the draft.
    I’d keep an ear out to how he performs. All those guys have legit chances of being drafted in the 2nd round it would seem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That WOW game was against Coppin State. The next few games were against better compe ion, Michigan State being one of them.

His HS issues weren’t with the school he won the state championship with. He had enrolled with one of those basketball magnet schools for his senior year, and quit without playing a game.
    I understand... I guess my point is that all of the "info" on his "issues" is pretty foggy, and made up mostly of secondhand gossip and rumor. I don't really know anything about what his specific personality quirks actually are. For example, on the surface of it, if he left a magnet program and then went to a school that won the State Championship, couldn't that be construed as a good decision rather than a bad one? I honestly don't know, but also don't feel inclined to necessarily believe internet gossip on the topic. Tankathon has him at #6 on their Big Board, and I think they tend to have a good eye for talent on that site.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 07-03-2021 at 12:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonzaga and Baylor would lose by 30+ against the average g league team. College level is very low.

What’s next though? College better than euroleague?
    Lol, Euroleague is better.

Most D-League is just a collection of marginal pros after their own points and stats with some guidance by a coach. There is very little cohesion in play on either side of the ball. A good college team beats them most of the time, if not all of the time. Remember that the top players on the top college teams will be drafted higher than any D-League players ever were.

I mean, this ain't pickup basketball. A cohesive team with good players beats a collection of mercs all the time.
    Last edited by Mr. Body; 07-03-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Thread Information