Page 166 of 171 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was the foundation of your post. Your points have been made time and time again, by smarter people at that. There’s nothing new here to address.
    Ok

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i love like this. Thanks for sharing. Something that actually you can learn about.
    Cool. Happy to contribute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs FO rightfully deserves some criticism. Their FA signings after Gay were awful. They let Kyle and Davis go for nothing, they signed FA that didn't play well for them at all, wasting some of LMA last seasons as a useful player. They could have turned him and Dejar into assets and gone on a true rebuild but didn't want yo, and yet at the same time failed to make the playoffs 2 seasons in a row, effectively ending their playoff run, yet didn't adjust to add improvements outside of the draft.

There's a ton of criticism to be laid there, the Gasol deal, Cunningham, Pondexter, a Marco Belinelli that needed to retire and took minutes from White and Murray, Lyles, Demarre Carroll. It's been an awful FA summer after summer, the draft saves them so... I just don't feel like complaining about them when the draft is their one saving grace, but coming down hard on someone who is unsatisfied with their overall job is cheap.

They have sucked at times.

For me though, being enthusiastic about the draft is what I am all about right now. To each their own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

And then there is the severe asymmetrical data access issue between people posting here vs. the actual NBA FO personnel...
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a hypothetical cognitive bias stating that people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability.
    There is an unfortunate corollary to the above -- people who overestimate their ability tend to run the ing world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs FO rightfully deserves some criticism. Their FA signings after Gay were awful. They let Kyle and Davis go for nothing, they signed FA that didn't play well for them at all, wasting some of LMA last seasons as a useful player. They could have turned him and Dejar into assets and gone on a true rebuild but didn't want yo, and yet at the same time failed to make the playoffs 2 seasons in a row, effectively ending their playoff run, yet didn't adjust to add improvements outside of the draft.

There's a ton of criticism to be laid there, the Gasol deal, Cunningham, Pondexter, a Marco Belinelli that needed to retire and took minutes from White and Murray, Lyles, Demarre Carroll. It's been an awful FA summer after summer, the draft saves them so... I just don't feel like complaining about them when the draft is their one saving grace, but coming down hard on someone who is unsatisfied with their overall job is cheap.

For me though, being enthusiastic about the draft is what I am all about right now. To each their own.
    Yup. And I clearly said they draft well and I’m optimistic. I just pointed out the reality we face within our division and that the clock starts now on making progress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The draft can't come fast enough... so many exasperated semantic disputes today on spurstalk.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 07-27-2021 at 03:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *shrugs*

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-reportedly-linked-to-free-agent-bigs

The San Antonio Spurs are reportedly “connected to some free agent bigs” according to a report from The Athletic.

In his latest mock draft, John Hollinger selected big man Alperen Sengun for San Antonio with the 12th overall pick but was hesitant on the choice from the latest intel he heard from his sources.

“My spies say the Spurs have already been connected to some free-agent bigs, and that would be odd timing for a team that intends to pick a center. They already employ a big 7-footer in Jakob Poeltl, so they wouldn’t be forking out for another big unless they a) don’t plan on drafting one or b) think it’s still 1993.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To be fair, I don't know of a single coach, scout, or reputable sportswriter who thought the double mid-range attack of Aldridge + DeRozan was going to succeed. Pretty much every mention of it for two years outside of the cheerleading fan realm was of the "we're not really sure what the Spurs are angling for here" variety... The draft is kind of the only think many have been enthused about, me included...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The draft can't come fast enough... so many exasperated semantic disputes today on spurstalk.
    Ya…being told I’m dumb because I said a front office is concerned mainly with draft/development, free agency and trades is literally the definition of semantics imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. And I clearly said they draft well and I’m optimistic. I just pointed out the reality we face within our division and that the clock starts now on making progress.
    We do have challenges within our division.
    Dallas has a clear cut star. I'm not confident their FO/owner can do much or is creative enough to do much. They have limited draft assets, limited personnel that are attractive to trade and limited cap space

Nola has a clear star player in Zion but he seems disgruntled earlier than AD was there. On the other hand their gm is creative and they have a few players that have value so they have a chance to make things happen.

Memphis has a clear #1, draft assets, and tradeable players. They are positioned well in my estimation.

Houston has the 2nd pick in the draft and...crickets... not much else...a dumpster fire of an owner... I have zero concerns that they will be a threat..

Spurs- good young players that have value on reasonable contracts, owns all their draft picks going forward, tons of cap space.... I think we are right in the mix IF we have a competent FO. I'm not ready to judge them yet though but, judgement day is coming and it's just over the hill.... between now and the end of free agency the questions regarding their competency will be answered and it won't be purely speculation anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *shrugs*

“My spies say the Spurs have already been connected to some free-agent bigs, and that would be odd timing for a team that intends to pick a center. They already employ a big 7-footer in Jakob Poeltl, so they wouldn’t be forking out for another big unless they a) don’t plan on drafting one or b) think it’s still 1993.”
    Perfect timing-- this is exactly what I mean when I say the perception of the Spurs from many non-fans is no longer one of awe, but one of "no one's really sure what they're doing."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We do have challenges within our division.
    Dallas has a clear cut star. I'm not confident their FO/owner can do much or is creative enough to do much. They have limited draft assets, limited personnel that are attractive to trade and limited cap space

Nola has a clear star player in Zion but he seems disgruntled earlier than AD was there. On the other hand their gm is creative and they have a few players that have value so they have a chance to make things happen.

Memphis has a clear #1, draft assets, and tradeable players. They are positioned well in my estimation.

Houston has the 2nd pick in the draft and...crickets... not much else...a dumpster fire of an owner... I have zero concerns that they will be a threat..

Spurs- good young players that have value on reasonable contracts, owns all their draft picks going forward, tons of cap space.... I think we are right in the mix IF we have a competent FO. I'm not ready to judge them yet though but, judgement day is coming and it's just over the hill.... between now and the end of free agency the questions regarding their competency will be answered and it won't be purely speculation anymore.
    Pretty much my feelings as well in a nut s . I’m cautiously optimistic for 2 reasons: 1) SA didn’t mess up the cap space situation and clearly worked toward that. 2) ddr and rudy are gone and so is the crutch and any illusion of vets leading us to playoffs. Change is upon us / let’s see how they handle it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *shrugs*

The San Antonio Spurs are reportedly “connected to some free agent bigs” according to a report from The Athletic.

In his latest mock draft, John Hollinger selected big man Alperen Sengun for San Antonio with the 12th overall pick but was hesitant on the choice from the latest intel he heard from his sources.

Smells like smokescreen, but I don't know why. I guess to discourage Orlando and Charlotte from biting, if Sengun is their interest. It does seem strange to have the San Antonio press comment on some random mock draft Hollinger made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, I don't know of a single coach, scout, or reputable sportswriter who thought the double mid-range attack of Aldridge + DeRozan was going to succeed. Pretty much every mention of it for two years outside of the cheerleading fan realm was of the "we're not really sure what the Spurs are angling for here" variety... The draft is kind of the only think many have been enthused about, me included...
    Exactly I am there too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alex Antetokounmpo says the Spurs hosted him for a pre-draft workout.

The 19-year-old forward also worked out for the Pacers and Rockets.

Noah Magaro-George

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Warriors go Giddey at 7, the Grizzlies probably go Moody at 10, but if Moody gets to 12, but Sengun is gone, it might be worth it to pick him and offer Vassell and Walker IV to try to get Kuminga.

what if Luka has a breakout season and we add a John Collins in FA? Add in a draft pick like Sengun or Wagner and this team is competing for homecourt advantage in a couple years
    A "breakout season" for Samanic would cons ute his proving he's a definitive NBA player . . . and even with that and those other two things, they still wouldn't be going anywhere.

They actually might be worse off long term, because that might keep or make them just good enough again to be a treadmill team.
    Last edited by TD 21; 07-27-2021 at 04:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *shrugs*

Nothing odd about it. It only sounds like Dieng won’t be back, so they’re shopping for a backup. A glance at the free agent list shows 28 centers who earned less than $5 M on their last contract. A good backup ought to be available, at a reasonable price.

The Spurs never expect anybody they draft to play much the first year. Anybody who imagines the Spurs would put a rookie big in the rotation just doesn’t know the Spurs. So drafting a big has nothing to do with it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *shrugs*

Jarrett Allen would be a big win....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to argue with that.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn’t Allen want a max deal.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Warriors go Giddey at 7, the Grizzlies probably go Moody at 10, but if Moody gets to 12, but Sengun is gone, it might be worth it to pick him and offer Vassell and Walker IV to try to get Kuminga.

A "breakout season" for Samanic would cons ute his proving he's a definitive NBA player . . . and even with that and those other two things, they still wouldn't be going anywhere.

They actually might be worse off long term, because that might keep or make them just good enough again to be a treadmill team.
    I think it’s way too early to package Vassell for a prospect in that tier. I think a lot of ST is sleeping on him. He had a good rookie year considering the vets on the roster. He’s already competent defensively and I think he has what it takes to make a Keldon like leap this coming season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn’t Allen want a max deal.
    Rumor was Cleveland was gonna offer him towards 100 mil, but that was before draft, and before Evan Mobley was slotted to go there with the 3rd pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s way too early to package Vassell for a prospect in that tier. I think a lot of ST is sleeping on him. He had a good rookie year considering the vets on the roster. He’s already competent defensively and I think he has what it takes to make a Keldon like leap this coming season.
    I'm not. As I've said, I'd hate to lose the only young player (White doesn't qualify) virtually guaranteed to be a positive impact player on both sides of the ball, but the reality is 3 and D types need superstars/stars to play off of and they're actively trying to limit their odds of lucking into one.

If they can get a similar type in Moody, why not take a swing with an athletic, shot creating big wing? I'm a Kuminga skeptic, but prime Gay is feasible and would fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still disagree here that FO is made up of three phases that you listed. They are all under one umbrella: roster construction. There are other umbrellas: player relations, coaching staff management, networking with other teams, agents, equipment at the facility, tech advancement, equipment management, scheduling, and a ton more.

god i ing regret switching to this phone. Can’t type for .
    Mmm... I'm shopping for a new phone right now. Which one should I avoid?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information