Post Count
    Speaking of first round promises...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sam Vecenie
    Sam_Vecenie
    1h
    Oregon’s Chris Duarte declined his 2021 NBA Draft Combine invite, fueling talk among teams that the combo guard could have a first-round promise, per sources.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
    1h
    Source: the NBA informed teams in a memo today that Rutgers' Ron Harper Jr. and Dayton's Ibi Watson have been added to the NBA Draft early-entry list, bringing the final tally to 355 players.

2d
    Invites for the NBA Combine and G League Elite Camp are being emailed out to player and agents.

Every NBA team submitted votes for 70 players for the NBA Combine and G League Elite Camp today. Around 100 players will be invited after the tally count to participate in one of the two camps. With the Combine dates pushed back a month, expect quite a few int'l players to attend

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with evaluating draft talent is assuming that an ability at one level will transfer upwards to the next level. The only two that are sure fire uptransfers are rebounding and 3 point shooting. That’s it. Everything else is a crapshoot, including playmaking.

Don’t you think that if talent evaluators thought those abilities would transfer that he’d be a top 5 pick?
    Bro I’m not a scout or profess to be one but his play type appears transferrable. What range do you suspect he’ll go in?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really is. To sign with an agent as well after not being listed in many first round mocks (or at all sometimes).

A first round promise perhaps? Houston have 2 picks back to back at 23, 24...
    That’s a good prediction. Man, if he’s still available for our second pick, seems like he’d be hard to turn down. He’s projected as a big, but doesn’t have that “neanderthal” vibe like a lot of second round bigs. He seems pretty fluid and moves like a smaller player. 74% free throws sounds boring but very promising as for his shooting potential in the NBA. There aren’t a lot of videos on him so I’m drinking the Kool aid for the moment.

Edit: He was born in Alaska...what? Spurs love that sort of atypical life experience.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 06-07-2021 at 06:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's interesting...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those last 30 seconds...that range, effortless shooter.

Lots of question marks defensively, size wise and can he manipulate defenses with the pass on Offense; but that elite shot...

If you put together a Summer League team of:
    Tre Jones, Tre Mann, Devin Vassell, Luka Samanic (Hope he attends) and 2nd round/Undrafted selection at the 5 (Ariel Hukporti?),
    that team in 4 years; could all be Spurs starters (if things fall there way).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Think he’ll be a solid player for whoever picks him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve seen Badji, Bassey, and Queta linked to us in the second round. I don’t see center as our most pressing issue. It’s not like we’re just now having to move on from LMA. I’d love to find someone who can shoot from the outside, at any position other than point guard, and has some other potential skill, like passing, defense, isn’t a ball hog, whatever.
    I would love Badji in the 2nd round. He would be a huge steal for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love Badji in the 2nd round. He would be a huge steal for us.
    I see the appeal, for sure. He’s a freak of nature.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those last 30 seconds...that range, effortless shooter.

Lots of question marks defensively, size wise and can he manipulate defenses with the pass on Offense; but that elite shot...

If you put together a Summer League team of:
    Tre Jones, Tre Mann, Devin Vassell, Luka Samanic (Hope he attends) and 2nd round/Undrafted selection at the 5 (Ariel Hukporti?),
    that team in 4 years; could all be Spurs starters (if things fall there way).
    i've been trying to find out whether or not luka has any commitment to play with the croatian national team or not. that'd be the only thing i can think of that would prevent him from being in the summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take a leap with me if you will:

With the Pangos All-American camp concluding, couldn't help but wonder who have been some of the dominant players over the years that are draft eligible, in the Spurs-y prospect mold...

NBA scouts have been allowed to attend these events for the last few years and the Spurs have seemingly been at each one.

The 2018 one is particularly interesting when looking at the prospects who dominated.

Look at this article from nbadraft.net:
    https://www.nbadraft.net/2018-pangos...top-prospects/

The Top 5 at camp (in alphabetical order): Scottie Barnes, Charles Bassey, Anthony Edwards, Evan Mobley and Jaden Springer.
    (FWIW, Tre Mann was considered in the top 10 and that was when he was 6"3).

The more I see, hear and read about this kid - the more I feel he has Spur written all over him.

Scouting report projected outcome from Prospective Insight:

https://www.prospectiveinsight.com/p...jaden-springer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the appeal, for sure. He’s a freak of nature.
    I actually saw some early mocks last year with us taking him in the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

With the Pangos All-American camp concluding, couldn't help but wonder who have been some of the dominant players over the years that are draft eligible, in the Spurs-y prospect mold...

NBA scouts have been allowed to attend these events for the last few years and the Spurs have seemingly been at each one.

The 2018 one is particularly interesting when looking at the prospects who dominated.

The Top 5 at camp (in alphabetical order): Scottie Barnes, Charles Bassey, Anthony Edwards, Evan Mobley and Jaden Springer.

The more I see, hear and read about this kid - the more I feel he has Spur written all over him.

“His dad and two older brothers are all at least 6’9” the article says. That’s a huge potential right there. Seems crazy that at age 18 he would grow half a foot, but that would be something to try and understand better as far as his ceiling. Man, if he grew even 3 inches, that would make him a consensus top-10 pick, I would have to think. But for now, is he a reach at 12? Possibly. If they draft him, they’d have to trade Walker I would think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Doesn't he shoot too many mid-range shots though?

76 attempts near the rim
    106 attempts at mid-range
    46 attempts at the 3

46.4% of his total shots come from the mid-range.
    42.9% of Keon's total shots came from the mid-range.
    29.6% of Bouknight's shots came from the mid-range.

Hmm...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “His dad and two older brothers are all at least 6’9” the article says. That’s a huge potential right there. Seems crazy that at age 18 he would grow half a foot, but that would be something to try and understand better as far as his ceiling. Man, if he grew even 3 inches, that would make him a consensus top-10 pick, I would have to think. But for now, is he a reach at 12? Possibly. If they draft him, they’d have to trade Walker I would think.
    You're right. The Walker situation will be one to watch over the next season, (perhaps even sooner than that), if the Spurs do indeed draft a Guard.
    Of course, if Jaden does grow to 6'9" it helps to eliminate that issue.

For me the Brandon Roy comp. really feels on point:

Loyal, humble, predictable (character/work-ethic wise), compe ive...

I've got 3 main guys in this draft (Kai Jones, Tre Mann being the other two);
    but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Springer may be the best guard, not named Cade, to come out of this draft when it's all said and done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte, let's not clog this this thread with our back and forth on Bouknight
    I think we've done this enough.

My first post on Bouk though for reference that started this convo. I've highlighted the important parts in bold:

Bouk, to me, is one of those guys you want to avoid at all costs.

He’s like a hybrid of DDR (without the passing) and second half of the season Patty Mills (consistent chucker, no 3).
    He thrives off taking contested 2s and loves to make the iso plays.

After watching LMA and DDR for the last few seasons, I would be happy if someone else buys into his game.

Can you teach guys to pass, make the solid play at 21 years old?
    Springer makes game and team winning plays including mid-range jumpshots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte, let's not clog this this thread with our back and forth on Bouknight
    I think we've done this enough.

My first post on Bouk though for reference that started this convo. I've highlighted the important parts in bold:

Springer makes game and team winning plays including mid-range jumpshots.
    “Team winning plays”? Quantify that. Otherwise, that’s completely subjective. Tennessee was not a top college team. They got bounced in the first game of the tournament. You don’t need to go back and forth. I’m providing facts and numbers that tackle the inconsistency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have the complete skill set, you don’t have to be a top flight athlete. Doncic probably couldn’t jump over a phone book.

If he were a top flight athlete on top of those skills, he wouldn’t be 5-10, he’d be top 3.
    These types of comparisons are easy to say, but in reality how many of those non athletic "ball players" turn into stars, let alone in the league at all. Not everyone can be Jokic or Doncic and probability is pretty low for those types.

I said if he was a good athlete, he would secure that 5-10. He looks below average at times. Highlights are what most people see and nothing else. Watching his actual games is a different story. He's been moving up draft boards. This draft does have quite a few players with interesting potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Team winning plays”? Quantify that. Otherwise, that’s completely subjective. Tennessee was not a top college team. They got bounced in the first game of the tournament. You don’t need to go back and forth. I’m providing facts and numbers that tackle the inconsistency.
    Rick Barnes team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He'll fit in when Spurs do their boxing training.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moody'll measure legit 6'7 , with 7+ wingspan and be taken in the 6-8 range

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moody'll measure legit 6'7 , with 7+ wingspan and be taken in the 6-8 range
    He has stood next to BJ Boston, and he looked 6’6” at best. Although he may be the same height as Vassell, I still think he’s more suited to play the 3 than Vassell due to the longer wingspan.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not common but David Robinson grew like 8 inches in college.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not common but David Robinson grew like 8 inches in college.
    David’s little brother Chuck was 7” shorter than he was. He never had David’s late growth spurt. Not all family members reach the same maximum height, and to put your lottery pick eggs in that basket of wishes is foolishness.

Thread Information