San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can bet they will resign Mills
    FTFY, tbh

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got my eye on Giddey, Kai Jones, and Zaire Williams. They all pass my eye test
    Last edited by keithington1; 04-19-2021 at 08:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're set at PG, but the prospect of having a 6'8" PG would be too good to pass up. Giddy would rock. G-League his first year, then see what he's got. The matchup problems we would cause for other teams would be awesome to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're set at PG, but the prospect of having a 6'8" PG would be too good to pass up. Giddy would rock. G-League his first year, then see what he's got. The matchup problems we would cause for other teams would be awesome to watch.
    He could play the 3 and takeover DeMar's role. DeMar is basically our PG right now, so it wouldn't make a difference. It's point guard by committee, they all take turns anyway... so the word "PG" is basically irrelevant now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could play the 3 and takeover DeMar's role. DeMar is basically our PG right now, so it wouldn't make a difference. It's point guard by committee, they all take turns anyway... so the word "PG" is basically irrelevant now.
    I don’t know anything about him but do you think he could guard 3s? I guess we could always have Derrick guard the best player for now but it would be nice to have a real 6 foot 8 player at the 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know anything about him but do you think he could guard 3s? I guess we could always have Derrick guard the best player for now but it would be nice to have a real 6 foot 8 player at the 3.
    The Spurs play so much help D that man to man D is essentially less effective nowadays. Don't get me wrong, it's nice when a player can shut down another player. But those only happen in short spurts these days. What you look for on defense these days is a player who can stay in front of their man and not constantly get blown by. For example, last night Luka was guarding Paul one on one and then Murray came from behind Paul and blocked that . Giddey just needs to show he can stay in front of his man and put his arms up, and don't foul. Do those things and he's a good defender. Do I think he can? Sure.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they draft Giddey you can bet they will resign Mills
    They will resign mills anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs play so much help D that man to man D is essentially less effective nowadays. Don't get me wrong, it's nice when a player can shut down another player. But those only happen in short spurts these days. What you look for on defense these days is a player who can stay in front of their man and not constantly get blown by. For example, last night Luka was guarding Paul one on one and then Murray came from behind Paul and blocked that . Giddey just needs to show he can stay in front of his man and put his arms up, and don't foul. Do those things and he's a good defender. Do I think he can? Sure.
    I’m not expecting him to be a lock down defender, especially if he played point all his career. I was just wondering if you think he has the foot speed and the strength to stay with NBA SFs.

**edit** which your last sentence answered. Kinda half heartedly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not expecting him to be a lock down defender, especially if he played point all his career. I was just wondering if you think he has the foot speed and the strength to stay with NBA SFs.

**edit** which your last sentence answered. Kinda half heartedly

He'll need good hips to defend SFs. He's got good anticipation skills, similar to how Vassell can get steals out of nowhere.

I think from a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being the highest, I'd rate him a 6.5. Vassell is probably a 8 for comparison. Rudy Gay is a 3.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giddey reminds me of college Kyle Anderson so much. I wonder if a non scoring 6'9 point guard ends up just being a secondary playmaking forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
    55m
    Source: The NBA has informed teams that fully-vaccinated NBA personnel are permitted to travel overseas to evaluate draft prospects once again. The NBA had banned international travel since October 9th of 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
    55m
    Source: The NBA has informed teams that fully-vaccinated NBA personnel are permitted to travel overseas to evaluate draft prospects once again. The NBA had banned international travel since October 9th of 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope we trade this pick. Too much youth on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giddey reminds me of college Kyle Anderson so much. I wonder if a non scoring 6'9 point guard ends up just being a secondary playmaking forward.
    Yeah, that's how I see Giddey. I like him as a prospect but no way he's a PG in the NBA. His straight-line speed is good but he's not super mobile laterally and his reaction speed is only satisfactory. The good news is, like Kyle Anderson, he is tall enough that you don't need to really worry about his athleticism. Giddey is young enough that he could develop into an average athlete. Right now, he's probably a C-ish athlete but, again, that's not too worrisome due to his height. The most worrisome part of his game is the inconsistency of his shooting form. From shot to shot, his form changes. That should be fixable but it's not what you want to see, even in a young player. I think he has good instincts but his basketball IQ is pretty damn questionable. Way too many bad/weird decisions early in the shot clock ... but that should get straightened out as long as he lands in a good situation.

Behind the scenes, it's hilarious how there are multiple scouts who had a Do Not Draft grade on LaMelo Ball and are now trying to cover up that mistake by hyping up Giddey to the moon sing a LaMelo comparison as part of the justification. Other than trying fancy passes and playing in the Australian league, those two aren't similar at all, really. LaMelo's ball-balling, passing and instincts were at another level. I think Giddey has a chance to be a top ten prospect by the time the draft arrives but there are enough question marks that he's far from a sure thing. As of right now, if the Spurs have the ~14 pick, I'd be happy with picking Giddey. I like him better than Sengun and probably Wagner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's how I see Giddey. I like him as a prospect but no way he's a PG in the NBA. His straight-line speed is good but he's not super mobile laterally and his reaction speed is only satisfactory. The good news is, like Kyle Anderson, he is tall enough that you don't need to really worry about his athleticism. Giddey is young enough that he could develop into an average athlete. Right now, he's probably a C-ish athlete but, again, that's not too worrisome due to his height. The most worrisome part of his game is the inconsistency of his shooting form. From shot to shot, his form changes. That should be fixable but it's not what you want to see, even in a young player. I think he has good instincts but his basketball IQ is pretty damn questionable. Way too many bad/weird decisions early in the shot clock ... but that should get straightened out as long as he lands in a good situation.

Behind the scenes, it's hilarious how there are multiple scouts who had a Do Not Draft grade on LaMelo Ball and are now trying to cover up that mistake by hyping up Giddey to the moon sing a LaMelo comparison as part of the justification. Other than trying fancy passes and playing in the Australian league, those two aren't similar at all, really. LaMelo's ball-balling, passing and instincts were at another level. I think Giddey has a chance to be a top ten prospect by the time the draft arrives but there are enough question marks that he's far from a sure thing. As of right now, if the Spurs have the ~14 pick, I'd be happy with picking Giddey. I like him better than Sengun and probably Wagner.
    Streetball is apparently now in session. I covered this a couple pages ago; ultimate confidence in oneself seems to be the key to success. I applaud Giddey's tendency to try crazy . We need outside the box thinking on this team over the drive and kick we're so accustomed to these days.

What sets Giddey apart from Kyle, to me, is his handle and his speed. They're probably on the same level with the vision, but Giddey's handle allows him to size up his man and either pull up for a J or pull in a big to allow an easy pass inside.

There aren't many prospects with size where the Spurs are expected to pick from. Most of the guys there will be more combo guards or extremely raw big men (outside of Sengun). I'm tired of the Spurs having to teach prospects basic fundamentals. We need either a guy who's insane enough to try crazy (Giddey) or at the very minimum know where to be at all times (Wagner, Vassell).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What scares me about the comparison between Giddey and Slomo, is that Giddey has significant physical disadvantages compared to Slomo...

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...-kyle-anderson

25 lbs less and 7" of wingspan!

Yes, Slomo's biggest issue was his lack of assertiveness on the offensive end, which I don't see with Giddey. But Slomo has the physical profile to play up to the 4...and that wingspan + his brains make him workable on D. Giddey does not show the same level of defensive brains and the physical profile is much less promising...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Streetball is apparently now in session. I covered this a couple pages ago; ultimate confidence in oneself seems to be the key to success. I applaud Giddey's tendency to try crazy . We need outside the box thinking on this team over the drive and kick we're so accustomed to these days.
    Eh, somewhat agree but not completely. LaMelo isn't streetball, tbh. He has great court vision, so he tries passes that look crazy but actually aren't. His assist-to-turnover ratio has always been good. LaMelo also will shoot from far out but that's because he has a set-shot that he can't fire unless he has room.

Giddey's craziness is shooting step-back toe on the line two-pointers with 15 seconds on the shot clock for no apparent reason, tbh. Shots so bad that they'd make Rudy Gay blush

What sets Giddey apart from Kyle, to me, is his handle and his speed. They're probably on the same level with the vision, but Giddey's handle allows him to size up his man and either pull up for a J or pull in a big to allow an easy pass inside.
    Mostly agree. Giddey should be a faster player than Kyle. Giddey's ball-handling may or may not translate. I'm not sold either way yet. It probably has a better chance to translate if he's playing SF rather than PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What scares me about the comparison between Giddey and Slomo, is that Giddey has significant physical disadvantages compared to Slomo...

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...-kyle-anderson

25 lbs less and 7" of wingspan!

Yes, Slomo's biggest issue was his lack of assertiveness on the offensive end, which I don't see with Giddey. But Slomo has the physical profile to play up to the 4...and that wingspan + his brains make him workable on D. Giddey does not show the same level of defensive brains and the physical profile is much less promising...
    Yeah, that's a good point. Kyle Anderson could fallback on being a good defensive player. Giddey isn't going to make it if he's not a plus on the offensive end. An average offensive version of Giddey isn't in the NBA in five years.

But this draft is almost all gambles from pick 6 to about pick 18. The two safest players in that range are probably Mitc and Kispert ... and even those two players aren't that safe. Mitc is riding the national championship hype train and Kispert was a second round pick before his senior season. The good thing about Giddey is he has translatable skills and enough height to cover for some shortcomings. Still a gamble though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, somewhat agree but not completely. LaMelo isn't streetball, tbh. He has great court vision, so he tries passes that look crazy but actually aren't. His assist-to-turnover ratio has always been good. LaMelo also will shoot from far out but that's because he has a set-shot that he can't fire unless he has room.

Giddey's craziness is shooting step-back toe on the line two-pointers with 15 seconds on the shot clock for no apparent reason, tbh. Shots so bad that they'd make Rudy Gay blush

Mostly agree. Giddey should be a faster player than Kyle. Giddey's ball-handling may or may not translate. I'm not sold either way yet. It probably has a better chance to translate if he's playing SF rather than PG.
    I see Giddey as having a much higher upside than Slomo offensively but, I don't think he will ever be as good defensively because of his length or lack thereof.

He's not as passive as Kyle and even though his shooting isn't there right now his mechanics don't look as disjointed as Kyle's. His aggressiveness is a blessing and a curse. Yes he takes bad shots (the curse) but I'd rather have a player who I had to tone down than one I had to motivate.

I think he's a good risk where we will likely pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm tired of the Spurs having to teach prospects basic fundamentals. We need either a guy who's insane enough to try crazy (Giddey) or at the very minimum know where to be at all times (Wagner, Vassell).
    Speaking of that latter group, one of the most impressive prospects in this draft is Chris Duarte. Picture-perfect shooting stroke. Takes smart shots. Good passer, good court vision. Doesn't turn it over and doesn't foul. Very good defensive instincts. NBA-ready body. Enough burst to get where he needs to go. It's possible he could start on Day 1.

If Duarte were 20 years old, he'd be an easy call for the sixth spot in this draft. But he'll be 24 on draft day -- a year older than Derrick White was when he was drafted.

I really like Duarte ... but, man, can you really take a 24-year-old in the lottery? I'm not sure you can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of that latter group, one of the most impressive prospects in this draft is Chris Duarte. Picture-perfect shooting stroke. Takes smart shots. Good passer, good court vision. Doesn't turn it over and doesn't foul. Very good defensive instincts. NBA-ready body. Enough burst to get where he needs to go. It's possible he could start on Day 1.

If Duarte were 20 years old, he'd be an easy call for the sixth spot in this draft. But he'll be 24 on draft day -- a year older than Derrick White was when he was drafted.

I really like Duarte ... but, man, can you really take a 24-year-old in the lottery? I'm not sure you can.
    Sure you can.

Would you sign a solid player to a $4 mil per year, 4-year contract in free agency? In free agency, that's a steal.

If there's no one else worth it that's available and if you believe he'll produce, then I don't see why not.

That being said, I'm also tired of going after combo guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was looking at him a while back. If he were even 22, you’d have to. A lot of teams passed on White simply because he was 23. Duarte currently is a no brainer anywhere past 15.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think it depends on what kind of team you have. If you're in the lottery with your own you should favor gambling on upside but if you're competing and you have a pick from a trade or maybe you're in the lottery because you star was injured....a ready older player is easier to justify....for us.... I couldn't take him in the lottery....we should gamble on a high ceiling....now if we can acquire another pick I'd look hard at him.

Thread Information