Page 137 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasserman reported that Duarte had a terrible workout for a team and came in out of shape according to his sources. Says the team complained that he didnt go to the combine.

Either he’s trying to tank his value or bad decisions are being made. I’m leaning towards the former since it lines up with what I’ve heard and read about his work ethic. Getting y up in here…

sounds to me he’s trying to pull a Vassell…

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasserman reported that Duarte had a terrible workout for a team and came in out of shape according to his sources. Says the team complained that he didnt go to the combine.

Either he’s trying to tank his value or bad decisions are being made. I’m leaning towards the former since it lines up with what I’ve heard and read about his work ethic. Getting y up in here…

Let the games(manship) begin!

I’d love to hear what team said that.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard for me to separate Kai from UT’s long history of not developing players, or at least not producing much quality NBA talent. Part of me blames Austin. Some football players have a hard transition to the NFL as well, but that’s my uninformed 10,000 foot analysis.

With Kai, Jherico, and Brown, they all three were cramming up the court together it seems. I would avoid Kai with any lottery pick. There isn’t enough to go on, and too much is negative. But to flip it around, because the situation with all three seems so poorly managed, there is an argument that the other two might have value way later in the draft. I mean, the other two are freak athletes. It would be a Eubanks path to a career. But if you could pick up Brown in the second round or Jherico undrafted? Maybe something smaller to work with. But its not really what we need on the Spurs. On the Toros, maybe.

So overall, I say pass on all of them, especially if we don’t get someone who projects as a good 3 point shooter in the first round.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You only have to read some of the comments post mine on how many people are against the Kai pick or don’t see a development pathway for him from his initial selection…

I believe it’s important to have differing opinions on prospects, even dissenting ones, if to only challenge the rhetoric or ideological habituation we may find ourselves in from time to time.

The way Kai talks about the game and his pathway to moderate success so far fascinates me. Although he’s raw, I think he’s further along than some critics give him credit for.

There honestly isn’t 5 other guys I would take in this draft ahead of him irrespective of prior accomplishments and reliable, project-able outcomes.

I’ll be excited and root for whoever we draft.
    I unequivocally trust the Spurs FO in this department.

If it isn’t Kai and he is available, it’s most likely for the reasons you and others have cited.
    If we do though, it would mean the see something in this kid that belies his stats and prior accolades to this point in his career.

He said in the Hornets interview, he had two more workouts scheduled. I would hope, if he hasn’t yet, that one would be with the Spurs.
    I hope Spurs work out and pick him too. He has such calm, humble and yet confident demeanor, like Duncan. Hard to imagine this kind of people won't keep progressing. His 3 point shot and fast- break alone will enable him to play in the 2nd half of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Spurs work out and pick him too. He has such calm, humble and yet confident demeanor, like Duncan. Hard to imagine this kind of people won't keep progressing. His 3 point shot and fast- break alone will enable him to play in the 2nd half of the season.
    There’s a lot to be excited about Kai but not at 12th. He’s still very raw and a 2-3 years project, but could come out as a Christian Wood. And right now there are picks that can contribute immediately, Wagner, Sengun, Johnson, Duarte, Moody.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

having a bad workout is one thing but coming out of shape is another. But that could be a strategy as we heard about a promise for Duarte a few weeks ago.

Still i don't tjink he is a target for the Spurs at 12.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Moody is suprisingly slower and less athletic than i thought that explains the drop in mocks.
    - Garuba played real well offensively without shooting it.
    - Giddey is good positionally on defense but that t-rex arms prevent him from making plays on that end.

- Wasserman said giddey wont get past us at 12.

Keon still my guy and Garuba.

new SI mock with some intel :

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/07/20/nb...ey-jalen-green

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll definitely agree that Kai in the way he talks about the game and discusses his drive to improve as a player, it’s impressive. By all accounts he is a hard worker and puts in the time to back up what he says.

Im concerned under Shaka, seeing how the Longhorns played, seeing how another prospect went into the season with lofty expectations and looked completely lost. I’m concerned Kai showed some of the same tendencies and struggles to contribute at all at times. I’m concerned when he talks about working on his jump shot and his mechanics at his pro day are fundamentally screwed, and how many bad habits have been drilled into him that will have to be unlearned.

If Kai comes to San Antonio, I won’t worry because it means in the interviews and workouts, they’ve identified he can overcome these concerns or that his potential strengths are strong enough they won’t matter.

He has an obvious analogue positionally in Sengun in draft range and position. It’s almost a philosophical conversation at that point of raw tools and potential based on athleticism vs. the refined scoring and fundamentals of Sengun. I’ll gamble on the 18 year old Turkish MVP to continue building some strength and explosiveness like he has over the last year or so before I put my lottery pick down on the raw project to unlearn his bad habits and build good ones. But there’s very few picks to make at 12 that will leave me disappointed on draft night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was pretty impressed with how garuba 1) went after rebounds and 2) moved without the ball. his defense was pretty solid as well. he is definitely active.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Moody is suprisingly slower and less athletic than i thought that explains the drop in mocks.
    - Garuba played real well offensively without shooting it.
    - Giddey is good positionally on defense but that t-rex arms prevent him from making plays on that end.

- Wasserman said giddey wont get past us at 12.

Keon still my guy and Garuba.

new SI mock with some intel :

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/07/20/nb...ey-jalen-green
    Keldon gets a little bit of burn in the national spotlight and SI is dubbing him a clear starting caliber piece and basically a building block.

spurs fans should note what kind of electric talent and personality they have here. Guy is going to be a fast riser in the game and could be huge for this franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was pretty impressed with how garuba 1) went after rebounds and 2) moved without the ball. his defense was pretty solid as well. he is definitely active.
    he is starting to look like a sneaky spurs pick to me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, got to be careful with prospects who talk about they want to improve and how they’re a hard worker. These are empty words at the end of the day. What’s more impressive is if they talk about how they read the game or how their teammates and coaches perceive them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he is starting to look like a sneaky spurs pick to me
    seriously not seeing what people are saying here. Doesn’t look at all like a lottery talent. Late first round, sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seriously not seeing what people are saying here. Doesn’t look at all like a lottery talent. Late first round, sure.
    Same. Some might see him as Clint Capela, a small ball 5. Unsure about that. More to the point, I don't see how he fits the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, got to be careful with prospects who talk about they want to improve and how they’re a hard worker. These are empty words at the end of the day. What’s more impressive is if they talk about how they read the game or how their teammates and coaches perceive them.
    They're like job interviews, almost useless in discovering vital things about players. How they talk about the game is another matter. I liked how Giddey talked about his mistakes and improvements, for example. He really showed an intelligence and understanding for 18 years old.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they are projecting Chip's ability to make him a reliable outside shooter to go with his defensive talent. I'm not that brave...I have him at #19 on my BB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    on my own personal big board I’d put him in the 25-30 range but I can see a team in the late lottery, teens, or early 20s reaching just based on his tools and instincts.

ive talked philosophically about where 5s fit in today’s game a bit over the last year. But a mobile dude with long arms has a niche and should be playable in most situations and match ups. The raw offense is completely secondary to the role he would play.

He’s not coming to San Antonio but I see qualities in his game that historically would make him a reach candidate for the spurs. picking in the lottery changes the dynamic quite a bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard for me to separate Kai from UT’s long history of not developing players, or at least not producing much quality NBA talent. Part of me blames Austin. Some football players have a hard transition to the NFL as well, but that’s my uninformed 10,000 foot analysis.
    UT has had plenty of success stories. In the last 20-ish years, there is Chris Mihm, Maurice Evans, TJ Ford, LaMarcus Aldridge, PJ Tucker, Kevin Durant, DJ Augustin, Avery Bradley, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Myles Turner, Jarrett Allen, etc.

Not all of those guys are star players, but most went on to have decent-to-great careers and there is a handful of championships between them.

Obviously there is a fair share of misses in there as well (cough BAMBA cough) but I'm not sure you can blame it particularly on UT, but rather on the fact that most guys coming out of UT only play for a year or two before they apply for the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great analysis of Kai:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/c...tm_name=iossmf

[OC] Kai Jones Is A Project Not Worth Taking

I’ve written 3 posts in the past few weeks -- the first advocating against Davion Mitc , and the next in favor of Alperen Sengun and Usman Garuba. I was often clear in the comments that I’m not dogmatic about my rankings. If Sengun/Garuba go 10 spots lower or Davion Mitc 20+ spots higher than I think, it’s really no skin off my back. There are no certainties in the draft, and you shouldn’t get too worked up about anything.

I write this to say that I do not feel this way about Kai Jones. **Jones across many mocks is pegged to go in the lottery/mid-first, and I think this would be a disaster.** Jones was a liability as a sop re, and would need essentially unprecedented growth to warrant a selection that high. I have him as a second rounder, and even then it is difficult to value the pick as he won't receive the playing time he needs to develop.

I will first cover Jones’ overall game. I will then lay out his most direct college statistical comparisons. I will end by comparing his college production to similarly styled current NBA bigs.

**Jones’ Game**

First, the physicals:

||Jones|Average NBA Center|
    |:-|:-|:-|
    |Height|6'10|6'10|
    |Reach|9'2.5|9'2|
    |Weight|221|250|
    |Wingspan|7'1.75|7'3.5|

Jones has typical measurements for an NBA big man, with only shorter arms and a calorie deficit. But, with the league getting smaller, this is an excellent combine showing.

He did not test athletically, but he’s clearly a superior athlete. He glides to the rim effortlessly for jams, and projects to have some [impressive transition finishes](https://streamable.com/sawdba). Jones also moves well side to side, evidenced by this [swat of Cade Cunningham](https://streamable.com/888q2f) (who himself was a pretty paltry and uncreative interior scorer but that’s for another post). In terms of god given gifts, Jones is big, with the high end athleticism needed to succeed at the next level.

In terms of production, he’s an advanced finisher, putting home 75% of rim attempts ([hoopmath](http://hoop-math.com/Texas2021.php)). He finished the season with a 65 TS%, which would be even higher if he did not enjoy the mid-range J so much. Moreover, these were not often easy lobs. On the brilliantly constructed Texas basketball team, Jones played the 5 next to Greg Brown, or the 4 next to old school big Jericho Sims (this miserable hydra was saved by a talented triumvirate of upperclassman guard play). Adapting to this spacing, Jones often worked from the perimeter, demonstrating the ability to [put the ball on the floor](https://streamable.com/a5qin2), and [finish with grace](https://streamable.com/1zamjt).

It’s easy to see the flashes of an inside out defender with a somewhat high offensive a en. He also has only been playing basketball for 5 or 6 years, giving hope for some untapped talent. In general, he is raw, but has great size, athleticism, and has shown flashes of talent that has convinced many he is a lottery pick.

**My Issues**

My largest issue with Jones is that he’s discussed as if he is a limitless 18 year old. He’s a 20.5 year old sop re who started one game behind two generally unimpressive bigs (I can’t stress how not-good Greg Brown is at basketball). If Jones goes in the lottery, **he will be the first non-freshman since Dion Waiters to play under 25 minutes and still be drafted top 14.** Usually, when guys are in a class of their own, it can be really good or really bad. When you’re in a class of two with Dion Waiters, well it’s not great.

**Even in those limited minutes, he was also terribly unproductive**. He almost always shared the floor with Brown or Sims which could depress his block/rebound numbers, but neither of those guys are exactly Hakeem Olajuwon let alone Joel Pryzbilla. **To demonstrate just how perilous his college company is, below are some notable forwards and centers who in their sop re year charted similar BLK/REB rates to Kai Jones**. I’ve included those player’s assist/turnover rates to paint a picture of their overall production, in addition to made three point field goals. These stats are somewhat cherry-picked (as all are), but should articulate the kind of role Jones will ostensibly play at the next level -- **floor spacer, rebounder, shot blocker, and facilitator**. (I generally use rates as Jones played so little, and it's simply a better metric).

​

|Player|3PT FGs|3PT%|REB%|BLK%|AST%|TO%|
    |:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|
    |Ben Bentil|52|33%|12.4|3.1|8|9.3|
    |Luke Kornet|50|40%|9.8|5.5|10.9|14.6|
    |Tyler Lydon|49|39%|13.7|4.7|10.8|13.6|
    |Killian Tillie|45|48%|12.9|4.2|11.5|14.1|
    |Dylan Windler|37|37%|12.5|3.3|9.6|12.5|
    |**Kai Jones**|**13**|**38%**|**11.8**|**4.2**|**5.4**|** 16.8**|

Jones rebounded and blocked shots on comparable levels to a group of under-athletic or undersized 4s and 5s. **This is a guy with great measurements for a center and uber athleticism, yet had a worse block rate than Tyler Lydon.** Not only that, but he made dramatically fewer three pointers than this crop, with by far the worst AST% and highest TO rate. There’s a reason he could not get minutes over Brown and Sims -- he is not good at basketball.

To be clear, this is not simply statistics. This is all readily available in the film:

I’m not going to linger on basic IQ mistakes that every college player makes ([like this](https://streamable.com/gm4bhs) [or this](https://streamable.com/rq8xkl)), but some are day 1 basketball rules such as [do not immediately start dribbling upcourt when you get a rebound](https://streamable.com/pbv44s). There’s also instances of not really understanding [the dimensions of the floor](https://streamable.com/h56wpo), and just general clumsiness[ 1](https://streamable.com/4xeg8a), [2](https://streamable.com/oi3g6d), [3](https://streamable.com/6qsqbt).

This is young basketball stuff, and his basketball years are still quite green. The problem is that he is physically a man, but lacks control over his body. We give 18 year olds a break because they are still developing. It is hard to gives Jones the same leash.

Quite of this clumsiness could of course be salvaged by a high motor, which he totally lacks. Here is the [quintessential Kai Jones play](https://streamable.com/xbkxg1) \-- **he gives up position to go for a steal, falls to the ground, and then just kinda stops playing basketball.** These are often physical plays, but he routinely shows zero fight and less strength as he routinely gets wiped out of post position [1](https://streamable.com/tbcfoj) [2](https://streamable.com/9x01sk) [3](https://streamable.com/tmnjlw) [4](https://streamable.com/jjmndo) [5](https://streamable.com/lna6c1) [6](https://streamable.com/20r0wb). You simply can't explain someone like Jones contributing like Killian Tillie on defense unless they simply don't play hard. These clips are also key to anyone waving away his low rebound/block figures due to playing with other bigs - **they were on the floor because Jones was so hopeless guarding the post or defending the rim.**

**Current NBA Players College Production**

Here I’ve tallied a list of 4/5s to whom Jones would likely play a similar role -- generally thinner bigs with perimeter skills and flexible defense -- and I've slapped together their college numbers upon being drafted (besides Larry Nance) to compare. These are absolutely not perfect comps, but more aim for the role Jones might play in the NBA (sorted by PTS/40):

​

|Player|Age|PTS/40|3PT FGs|3Pt%|REB%|BLK%|AST%|TO%|
    |:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|
    |John Collins|19.7|28.8|1|0|21.1|6.6|4.5|11.1|
    |Kelly Olynyk|22.1|27|9|30%|17.4|5.1|15.1|15.4|
    |Zach Collins|19.6|23.2|10|47%|18.4|9.8|4.4|17.8|
    |Mike Muscala|20|21.5|4|36%|15.5|8.1|12.2|11.7|
    |Lauri Markkannen|20.1|20.2|69|42%|14|1.8|5.6|8.1|
    |Jaren Jackson Jr.|18.7|20|38|39%|15|14.3|9.3|17.4|
    |Christian Wood|19.8|19.3|25|28%|17|8.2|9.2|14.7|
    |Chris Boucher|23.5|18.7|39|34%|16.5|11.8|2.9|10.5|
    |Nic Claxton|20.5|16.4|18|28%|14.9|8|12.2|14.7|
    |**Kai Jones**|**20.5**|**15.5**|**13**|**38%**|**11.8**| **4.2**|**5.4**|**16.8**|
    |Larry Nance|20.5|13.3|10|34%|14.7|2.7|9.8|14.7|

​

I think these numbers are frankly self-explanatory, but **the long and short of it is that Kelly Olynyk was a better college rebounder and shot blocker than Kai Jones.** Digging a bit deeper, you also find here rail thin players like Jaren Jackson Jr. and Zach Collins (who both played next to bigs in college) who out rebounded Jones, while doubling and tripling his block rate at younger ages. Christian Wood, a nominal comp with a questionable defensive role in the NBA, blocked shots at 2x the rate and was a far better rebounder, on top of making more threes and better facilitating. The only player here who Jones remotely resembles is Larry Nance Jr., who is 2.5 inches shorter and quite a bit more skilled at the same age (he also was a late first rounder 2 years after putting up those numbers). Somehow, Lauri Markkanen, who didn't dribble in college, touted a better assist rate (and better rebounding). It's difficult to stress how far behind this cohort he is at the point of being drafted.

In conclusion, **Jones skill level compares to extremely athletic but unskilled bigs, while his athletic stats (rebounds, blocks) compares to skilled, undersized bigs.** This is a very startling suite of statistics for a possibly lottery pick. The only explanation is that he hasn’t been playing basketball very long, **which at some point is not a positive. He’s going to have to learn basic fundamentals to contribute, and will need considerable time in the D-league**. Any team that drafts him will have to be patient, but also calibrate the necessity of investing so much in someone who will already be 21 by their first NBA game. I have about 40+ guys above Jones on my board, and as a second rounder I’m not sure he’s worth it. Why invest so many resources when by the time he’s developed he’ll likely be on another team?

Thanks for reading.
    Thats damning fir Jones. Even if he pans out he needs a long time to develop. Hardly worth it for a lottery team that needs talent to help the team rise fr the basement sooner rather than later. He’s worth the gamble in the second round, but too raw for the lottery. After seeing the Spurs sink 2 years into Samanic without even knowing what he will be for sure I don’t have the stomach got a guy that’s 2 years away from being 2 years away again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greg Brown there in the second round? Might want to roll the bones on that one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trendon Watford and Kai Jones (cue the fanboys) both posted they’re in the Spurs facility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trendon Watford and Kai Jones (cue the fanboys) both posted they’re in the Spurs facility.
    y tip. Good that they are trying out the bigs for comparison sake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they are projecting Chip's ability to make him a reliable outside shooter to go with his defensive talent. I'm not that brave...I have him at #19 on my BB.
    I think Chip is legit, but I wonder sometimes at people who cast him as some sort of miracle worker... The Spurs as a team were 24th in the league in 3ptFG% last season, and 30th in 3ptFGA. So their 3pt% is one of the worst despite also being one of the most selective. They were 24th in 2pt% and 10th in FT%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread isn’t about Jak so I’m not going to add on to my already clear opinion of him but I would be glad to draft a big man that rim runs for us. Sengun looks to me like a less athletic Pau Gasol but today’s game is so simple that literally just running hard to the rim can get you 10 points a game. And Sengun does that really well. If he gets a jumper or you think he can get one then you draft him and trade the farm to do so. Murray and the 12 pick to Golden St for #7.
    ja ja ja
    Sengun is a less athletic Pau Gasol???
    Pop literally:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun is a more athletic version of Pau Gasol. But also not really Pau Gasol.

Thread Information