Page 17 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't fit all those picks on their roster. They are the ones who will be over a barrel. Teams will exact a price.from them to help them out.
    There is no downside to having to many picks and they aren't going to have to 'pay' to get rid of them. They'll consolidate some to move up or acquire a player they want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no downside to having to many picks and they aren't going to have to 'pay' to get rid of them. They'll consolidate some to move up or acquire a player they want.
    That's assuming teams want to take their picks to move down. If they can't find a trade partner, they have to lose value and trade them for future protected picks. The Thunder finding trade partners for equal value is not guaranteed.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Thunder have 29 potential trading partners. It would take a of a lot of collusion to freeze them out of all trades. Teams will be lining up for those picks imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's assuming teams want to take their picks to move down. If they can't find a trade partner, they have to lose value and trade them for future protected picks. The Thunder finding trade partners for equal value is not guaranteed.
    There's always a trade partner for 1st rd picks...and Presti knows the market.... literally no downside here...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Thunder have 29 potential trading partners. It would take a of a lot of collusion to freeze them out of all trades. Teams will be lining up for those picks imo.
    There's always a trade partner for 1st rd picks...and Presti knows the market.... literally no downside here...
    I didn't say they wouldn't find a trade partner. I said there's no guarantee they'll find a trade they like and wouldn't have to settle for something less than ideal. Drafts like this one, for example, I find it hard to imagine anyone would want to trade down. So if the OKC can't leverage their picks to move up, then what will they do? Trade for future protected picks is a possibility.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say they wouldn't find a trade partner. I said there's no guarantee they'll find a trade they like and wouldn't have to settle for something less than ideal. Drafts like this one, for example, I find it hard to imagine anyone would want to trade down. So if the OKC can't leverage their picks to move up, then what will they do? Trade for future protected picks is a possibility.
    Okc has potentially 3 1st's in this draft (as an example)...they'll keep their own probably top 5 pick... the other two will be in the 20's...you don't think they can find a trade partner to take both those picks to move up to 17 or 18 if they see someone they like? It won't even be difficult...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okc has potentially 3 1st's in this draft (as an example)...they'll keep their own probably top 5 pick... the other two will be in the 20's...you don't think they can find a trade partner to take both those picks to move up to 17 or 18 if they see someone they like? It won't even be difficult...
    17 and 18 are far different than what I thought you were thinking. Haha. Something like 12 + 20 is something I don't see happening, depending on the context. We can throw out all types of scenarios out there, but my point is nothing is guaranteed. It's an obvious kind of point, but sometimes needs to be brought up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    17 and 18 are far different than what I thought you were thinking. Haha. Something like 12 + 20 is something I don't see happening, depending on the context. We can throw out all types of scenarios out there, but my point is nothing is guaranteed. It's an obvious kind of point, but sometimes needs to be brought up.
    I gotcha....the post I originally replied to suggested that okc would have to 'pay' to get rid of picks... I'm simply saying that's not realistic because there are plenty of ways to consolidate picks to move up.....maybe not move up into the top 5 of a draft but most of okc's acquired picks will be between 15 and 30 in the future.... you can easily package those to jump up a pick or two to get a player you want in that range/tier.... that's the only point I was trying to make..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jesus, what an uplifting comment by Kerr

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jesus, what an uplifting comment by Kerr
    That's kinda surprising...not surprising that it's true... but surprising that he'd say it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players I am interested in

PG Josh Giddey - Adelaide
    6'8 205 18yo 10.9 pts, 7.1 rbs, 6.9 ast, 1.2 stl
    late lottery grade

PF Roko Prkacin - Cibona
    6'9 210 18yo 13.9 pts, 7.4 rbs, 1.1 stl
    late 1st grade

C Neemias Queta - Utah St.
    7'0 226 21yo 14.9 pts, 10.1 rbs, 3.3 blk, 2.7 ast
    mid-late 2nd grade

C Charles Bassey - WKU
    6'10 239 20yo 17.6 pts, 11.6 rbs, 3.1 blk
    late 1st-early 2nd grade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hopefully he shuts it down

Last edited by Dejounte; 04-17-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice analysis from Chad Ford. His combine numbers might have him fall a bit into our range (if the ping pong balls don’t fall our way). I like him. But drafting him necessitates some trades to lessen the logjam. And getting players with size is still a priority moving forward. But I’d rather play Luka S then draft someone like Sengun over Giddey. Will be interesting to see what happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that is Isiah Thomas level right there. I love that old school mentality. This is why I would love the Spurs to get this kid.

I find it funny how one of the critiques is his poor 3pt shooting. He is only 18. He is just really beginning his professional journey. I will take an 18 yo, 6'8 ball handler who shots in the 30s% from 3. He has plenty of time to get into the gym and steadily improve his shooting. He has those other innate qualities that make me drool and basketball fan.....court vision, high BBIQ, passing, playmaking, leadership, confidence, tenacity, highly compe ive, and willing to play through pain. The shooting will come as he and his body matures.

I sure as hope he is on the board when the Spurs pick comes around. To be honest, I want Giddey and Prkacin in the first round. I just don't see anyone we can trade with to get an extra first round pick, the same with an extra 2nd round pick.

But, If I could have my way, we would be able to accrue another first and 2nd, and draft 4 players.

1st
    PG - Josh Giddey
    SF/PF - Roko Prkacin

2nd
    PF/C - Charles Bassey
    C - Neemias Queta

Add these guys and subtract Gay, KBD, Dieng, and either let Mills walk or retire and become an assistant coach under Pop. We can re-sign DDR to a contract, hopefully nothing too crazy.

PG - White, Murray, Jones, Giddey
    SG - DDR, KJ, Walker, Weatherspoon
    SF - Vassell, Prkacin
    PF - Samanic, Eubanks
    C - Poeltl, Bassey, Queta

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that is Isiah Thomas level right there. I love that old school mentality. This is why I would love the Spurs to get this kid.

I find it funny how one of the critiques is his poor 3pt shooting. He is only 18. He is just really beginning his professional journey. I will take an 18 yo, 6'8 ball handler who shots in the 30s% from 3. He has plenty of time to get into the gym and steadily improve his shooting. He has those other innate qualities that make me drool and basketball fan.....court vision, high BBIQ, passing, playmaking, leadership, confidence, tenacity, highly compe ive, and willing to play through pain. The shooting will come as he and his body matures.

I sure as hope he is on the board when the Spurs pick comes around. To be honest, I want Giddey and Prkacin in the first round. I just don't see anyone we can trade with to get an extra first round pick, the same with an extra 2nd round pick.

But, If I could have my way, we would be able to accrue another first and 2nd, and draft 4 players.

1st
    PG - Josh Giddey
    SF/PF - Roko Prkacin

2nd
    PF/C - Charles Bassey
    C - Neemias Queta

Add these guys and subtract Gay, KBD, Dieng, and either let Mills walk or retire and become an assistant coach under Pop. We can re-sign DDR to a contract, hopefully nothing too crazy.

PG - White, Murray, Jones, Giddey
    SG - DDR, KJ, Walker, Weatherspoon
    SF - Vassell, Prkacin
    PF - Samanic, Eubanks
    C - Poeltl, Bassey, Queta
    I know literally nothing about Prkacin but if GS gets the Minny pick (outside top 3) and keeps their own 1st they are a natural trade partner for one of our younger players for their own 1st.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I Don't mind us loosing most of the rest of the games. I know its sucks, but for a future outlooks it might be better. We're 4.5 games away from the 8th pick. This is a really good draft and with our development team could find a gem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

IMO, would make Spurs games exciting again with these sick handles & crossovers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He looks pretty good. Has a bit of Pistol Pete in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TimMVP, consider this:
    http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...alperen-sengun
    He's producing more against better compe ion at better percentages...

Alperen over here would still be in high school (he's a year younger than Mobley). Yet he's the MVP in a much tougher league than the NCAA...

Sure, his style is old school big, but let's not pretend he's not a really good one. You may think those passes are "basic" but you tell me which big on our current roster would be able to execute them? (I'd say no one currently; would be funny to watch Poeltl try....) There's not too many bigs in the NBA as whole who could pull those off.

How many big men do we have that could execute a 360 jam in game?

My answer is none, and at least 1/2 the bigs in the NBA couldn't pull that move. (Maybe 3/4 of the bigs in the NBA).
    Yeah, Sengun's production is so intriguing that he's the first player I've done a deep dive on. I was wondering how he wasn't getting more hype based on his numbers alone.

Unfortunately, the more I watch of him, the more I understand the hesitation. He's young, strong, jumps pretty well, has some skill ..... but nothing he does is easily translatable to the NBA. A 6-foot-9 center with slow feet defensively, sub par length for his position, no notable ability to shoot the ball, no off the dribble game -- those are real issues that make him a risk. A shorter, less mobile Ivica Zubac isn't that exciting. Enes Kanter's production is through the roof but he's too slow to defend on the perimeter and not long enough to defend at the rim, which limits his value -- and Sengun looks to be a similar athlete and a bit shorter.

But, again, even though I'm not too high on Sengun (so far, I'd consider him a strong pick at around ~20), I wouldn't hate it if the Spurs pick him. I don't want the Spurs to trade up for him but if he's their selection at 13 or whatever, that's not a terrible pick. Sengun's production is so good that they could invoke the Jokic Rule and ignore the eye-test and trust that someone that productive will be able to figure out how to be productive in whichever league you put him in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

IMO, would make Spurs games exciting again with these sick handles & crossovers
    Giddey got some Manu moves in him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giddy would fit the spurs well. They need a legitimate PG, see the floor general type player. That's Giddeys game. I think he could mesh well if the young spurs continue to develop their 3pt shots. I could see him and Luka having a tough pick and roll to defend. He would definitely help Lonnie get his looks and benefit slashers like keldon and Murray.

I'm all for him with Chip developing his shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

-understands how to play
    -coachable
    -pleasant to be around / wonderful guy

Three things I expect the Spurs to look for in prospects this upcoming draft

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

-understands how to play
    -coachable
    -pleasant to be around / wonderful guy

Three things I expect the Spurs to look for in prospects this upcoming draft

the first two yes, this one is down the list a little more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I've been thinking about moving up in the draft and who 'might' be willing to trade I only see 3 teams (and none are highly likely). GS if they get the Minnesota pick conferred, the Cavs, and Sacramento. GS has to do something this offseason to give Curry a shot at another le or they might as well trade him and rebuild. The Cavs might to unload Love. Sacramento if ownership feels like they need to start putting more ready made pieces around Fox. All are unlikely but I can't see anyone else willing to move their picks.

The draft is heavy top 5 (we all know that) and if we can get into that range it would be worth making a move. If we can't I think we should just hold tight or maybe consider selling our pick if the right deal surfaces. I don't think there's value in moving up into the 6-9 range.

Thread Information