Page 27 of 171 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan territory is defined as a player who hesitates to shoot from 3.

People read too much into percentages, dismissing shooting form, hot streaks and cold streaks.

Just admit you went straight to his stats and didn't spend a minute watching how he plays.
    It’s a highlight video. OF COURSE HE’S GOING TO LOOK GOOD.

I’m going to have to start calling you Bob Bass, the guy who drafted Alfrederick Hughes, the NCAA scoring champ who is one of the worst draft picks, not just in Spurs history, but NBA history. You can’t project college production into the NBA. Very few stats carry up to the next level. Three point shooting, which he sucks at, and rebounding, and maybe blocks and steals.

This kid has three trajectories: back to school, second round, or Undrafted. Feel free to bump this if I’m wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’m going to have to start calling you Bob Bass, the guy who drafted Alfrederick Hughes, the NCAA scoring champ who is one of the worst draft picks, not just in Spurs history, but NBA history. You can’t project college production into the NBA. Very few stats carry up to the next level. Three point shooting, which he sucks at, and rebounding, and maybe blocks and steals.

This kid has three trajectories: back to school, second round, or Undrafted. Feel free to bump this if I’m wrong.
    Who said I was using his stats to project his level of play in the NBA? You're the one who brought up his percentages. I'm the one who pointed out that shooting form, and shooting streaks are more important than focusing on stats.

I wasn't asking you to watch the video I posted. You can find full games of Villanova easily. In fact, it isn't even true that the video contains just good highlights. They included all of his blunders.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know anything about this kid except for that highlight video, but I was surprised his 3 pt % was low. His shooting form looked pretty solid to me with a high release. I've seen him ranked all over the place, from late first round to 2nd round.

Anyway, this thread is the only interesting one left on the forum. Everything else is rehashed trash, basically. Dejounte, I'm glad you keep finding more players to discuss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some more analysis of James Robinson-Earl, which paints him as a high motor, high IQ player. His main negative seems to be average wingspan. There could be worse things. This article actually praises his defensive a en. He doesn't seem to be a player that is discussed much. Villanova players in the second round seem like solid players to consider. The coaching style there seems to be good for a transition to the NBA, especially for role players.

Scroll to the bottom half of the article. (The top half of the article is about George Hill, though it praises his Spurs training, which is interesting to read from an outside perspective).

https://thepaintedlines.com/explorin...outing-report/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some more analysis of James Robinson-Earl, which paints him as a high motor, high IQ player. His main negative seems to be average wingspan. There could be worse things. This article actually praises his defensive a en. He doesn't seem to be a player that is discussed much. Villanova players in the second round seem like solid players to consider. The coaching style there seems to be good for a transition to the NBA, especially for role players.

Scroll to the bottom half of the article. (The top half of the article is about George Hill, though it praises his Spurs training, which is interesting to read from an outside perspective).

https://thepaintedlines.com/explorin...outing-report/
    To me, he's basically a bigger (shorter wingspan) version of Saddiq Bey who isn't as skilled at 3-point shooting, but probably is a better defender. Saddiq is very overrated on defense.

What types of players do power forwards guard these days? Keldon was mostly matched up with Duncan Robinson and Jimmy Butler last night. I think having a plus wingspan isn't that important these days, you've just got to be able to be mobile and strong. Height + Standing reach helps too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said I was using his stats to project his level of play in the NBA? You're the one who brought up his percentages. I'm the one who pointed out that shooting form, and shooting streaks are more important than focusing on stats.

I wasn't asking you to watch the video I posted. You can find full games of Villanova easily. In fact, it isn't even true that the video contains just good highlights. They included all of his blunders.
    The only % I looked at was 3 point. I don’t hate him, but I don’t see him as a first rounder, let alone a lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, he's basically a bigger (shorter wingspan) version of Saddiq Bey who isn't as skilled at 3-point shooting, but probably is a better defender. Saddiq is very overrated on defense.

What types of players do power forwards guard these days? Keldon was mostly matched up with Duncan Robinson and Jimmy Butler last night. I think having a plus wingspan isn't that important these days, you've just got to be able to be mobile and strong. Height + Standing reach helps too.
    Switchability is the key and his draft profile seems to suggest he would be good at this. But there isn't much scouting video on him, so like I said I'm still figuring him out.

A power/combo forward in the second round makes sense to me, especially if we take a guard with the first pick.

I could see him rise in the rankings. Not lottery, but maybe late first round.

As for the Spurs, I don't know what they will do with their pick. They aren't getting into the top 5, even with dangling someone like IV in a trade scenario. I think focusing on skill is a good way to approach our first round pick. Duarte. Wagner. Those seem like Spurs type of picks. It's possible Kai Jones could fall to us, which poses an interesting dilemma.

Anyway. I digress...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Switchability is the key and his draft profile seems to suggest he would be good at this. But there isn't much scouting video on him, so like I said I'm still figuring him out.

A power/combo forward in the second round makes sense to me, especially if we take a guard with the first pick.

I could see him rise in the rankings. Not lottery, but maybe late first round.

As for the Spurs, I don't know what they will do with their pick. They aren't getting into the top 5, even with dangling someone like IV in a trade scenario. I think focusing on skill is a good way to approach our first round pick. Duarte. Wagner. Those seem like Spurs type of picks. It's possible Kai Jones could fall to us, which poses an interesting dilemma.

Anyway. I digress...
    Agreed. The Spurs should focus on getting players that are the opposite of what they have on the roster right now. They beat themselves often by sheer stupidity. There was a play last night where they left a man wide open for a three, he missed, and then Dedmon, who was surrounded by three Spurs players, outrebounded all three AND was fouled by Patty ing Mills for an And1. Rudy Gay has these kinds of plays a lot too. No more dumbasses on this team, please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The nba draft room scouting report on him is such an exercise in passive aggressive writing --
    It gives a relatively complimentary report on his skills, and then ends with two player comparisons: Michael Beasley lite, and Ed O'Bannon. Ouch. There's no way, out of all the players who've passed through the draft in the last few decades, that you pick those two (and add that horrible lite!) without meaning to send a message.

I like the little I've seen from him, and am looking forward to looking at more before the draft.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/jeremiah-robinson-earl/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The nba draft room scouting report on him is such an exercise in passive aggressive writing --
    It gives a relatively complimentary report on his skills, and then ends with two player comparisons: Michael Beasley lite, and Ed O'Bannon. Ouch. There's no way, out of all the players who've passed through the draft in the last few decades, that you pick those two (and add that horrible lite!) without meaning to send a message.

I like the little I've seen from him, and am looking forward to looking at more before the draft.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/jeremiah-robinson-earl/

Ahh see this is what I mentioned earlier. I hate that they put Isaiah and Kai under PF rankings. $100 bucks says that's not what they'll be in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am all in on Vrenz for the second round pick. Since our guards aren't the best passers, I find it crucial to find it from other positions. Vrenz seems to have a great feel for the game. Honestly, I could be talked into Giddey/Vrenz with 1st round and 2nd round picks. Getting our expiring vets off the team will improve our defense immediately, as defense is something I still want to prioritize while we continue to look for our star anchor to build around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

to be fair to the late bob bass, i think someone had " ed the nachos".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interview with Jeremiah Robinson Earl that screams Spurs material: https://www.inquirer.com/college-spo...-20210206.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. That was interesting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am all in on Vrenz for the second round pick. Since our guards aren't the best passers, I find it crucial to find it from other positions. Vrenz seems to have a great feel for the game. Honestly, I could be talked into Giddey/Vrenz with 1st round and 2nd round picks. Getting our expiring vets off the team will improve our defense immediately, as defense is something I still want to prioritize while we continue to look for our star anchor to build around.
    Yeah I mentioned him earlier I think people are saying he is a second round pick but he might squeeze into the first. If he is there when we draft second round I would pick him all day every day. Watch some of his vids he is a smart player has good handles and very good court vision for a big. I think he is a averaging 40% for 3 balls so he is a good shooter who has good handles. I like how he really want to get better he seems like a player who is not scared of the spot light and who is willing to do what he has to to get better.

I agree with a lot of posters we need to get players with better Ball IQ and also better handles and someone who can hit I the 3 ball I think he does that and would be a great pick. At far as Giddey I like the kid just have some reservations on how his defense would translate to the NBA him and Sengun are kinda in the same boat as far as defense and talent.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need reliable shooters aka above 35% from 3, a player who can hit free throws since they are giving up way too many free points (so above 80%), and not turn the dang ball over all the time (so under 2 per game). So far the only ones I’m seeing are:

1. Wanger
    2. Kispert
    3. Duarte

Jaden Springer looks alright but his turnovers are iffy. Is there anyone else out there or anyone who only missing one piece and can be improved?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I mentioned him earlier I think people are saying he is a second round pick but he might squeeze into the first. If he is there when we draft second round I would pick him all day every day. Watch some of his vids he is a smart player has good handles and very good court vision for a big. I think he is a averaging 40% for 3 balls so he is a good shooter who has good handles. I like how he really want to get better he seems like a player who is not scared of the spot light and who is willing to do what he has to to get better.

I agree with a lot of posters we need to get players with better Ball IQ and also better handles and someone who can hit I the 3 ball I think he does that and would be a great pick. At far as Giddey I like the kid just have some reservations on how his defense would translate to the NBA him and Sengun are kinda in the same boat as far as defense and talent.

Yeah. Duarte/Vrenz wouldn't be bad. I'm also curious about the Villanova guy Dejounte mentioned today, Jeremiah Robinson Earl. I see Jeremiah and wonder why he is so low, and then see Wagner and wonder why he is projected so high. Outside the top 5 it seems slippery, and I actually think there was more talent last year after the top 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Duarte/Vrenz wouldn't be bad. I'm also curious about the Villanova guy Dejounte mentioned today, Jeremiah Robinson Earl. I see Jeremiah and wonder why he is so low, and then see Wagner and wonder why he is projected so high. Outside the top 5 it seems slippery, and I actually think there was more talent last year after the top 5.
    JRE went on a cold shooting streak to end the season. Plus, Wagner's team was top 3 in the nation. I like Wagner more because he's more of a creator, whereas this guy needs his shots to be created for him. Not to say he can't take the ball to the hoop, JRE is decent in the post. My dream would be to get both. IMO, JRE blows everyone else projected in the second. Would be a steal if we get him there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jason Preston, junior point guard for Ohio. A late bloomer. Feels like another Derrick White type story. Interesting skills.

https://youtu.be/Mh2cu_YNXnE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vrenz has all the markings of someone who doesn't just sneak into the 1st round, but goes higher than people here are expecting.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I'd like to hear the opinions of people with greater knowledge than myself and begin a discussion about how would the SpursTalk favourites Nate Renfro and Robert Woodard fit into these scheme of things. What say Dejounte?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I'd like to hear the opinions of people with greater knowledge than myself and begin a discussion about how would the SpursTalk favourites Nate Renfro and Robert Woodard fit into these scheme of things. What say Dejounte?
    Woodward is Sacramento property, loaned to the baby Spurs, since only 17 out of 29 gleague teams participated in the Gubble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jason Preston, junior point guard for Ohio. A late bloomer. Feels like another Derrick White type story. Interesting skills.

https://youtu.be/Mh2cu_YNXnE

I was half asleep when I posted this last night. Having looked at it again, I'm even more impressed. What a find, at least from this one video from Draft Junkies, which in my opinion does a great job of curating a players multiple skills, not just simple dunks over and over again.

His strengths:

Ridiculous 3 point range, though his mechanics looks goofy, it goes in.

Great feel for the game.

Great off-ball cutter.

Great PnR initiator.

Solid finisher in the open court.

Amazing court vision and passing.

I see him as a riser. His measurables probably won't be great with fast twitch explosion and wingspan. But there's enough videos of him receiving alley-oops and throwing it down in the lane, that I think he isn't horribly below average.

Giddey is getting hyped, probably for scouts "missing" on LaMelo and Halliburton. I see Preston as perhaps more of a Halliburton analogue then Giddey.

Preston had a good tournament, so I'm looking for more video and analysis of him, but pretty impressed from what I've seen so far. Hopefully, he isn't a Forbes on defense.

Another link: https://youtu.be/ry9ycT7OPfo
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 04-30-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woodard would it nicely but, it would require a trade and I don't see that happening.

Thread Information