Page 37 of 171 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I see him as a big wing too, but more so in a slasher mould akin to a Gerald Wallace or even our own Keldon Johnson. He has the talent to redefine the position though, that's for sure.
    He's a match-up nightmare. However, he does create problems for their own defense by being somewhat of a tweener (not to mention Offensive dependency and deficiencies if lead ball handler for long periods of game time).

I wonder who would be best to pair with him long term in the Front Court. Myles Turner perhaps?
    Like you stated they def. need more shooting, would both teams go for an Ingram, perhaps a Pick / Turner, TJ Warren deal?

Interesting...

Sorry gents, got a bit off thread.
    Turner is the obvious name (though that combination would be severely deficient on the defensive glass, it's virtually impossible to check every box, especially in a small market).

I can't imagine the Pelicans even contemplating trading Ingram for that and there's probably no realistic trade they'd make involving him period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if the Spurs miss the playoffs, it'll be no worse than the 13th pick since there's almost a zero percent chance that the Spurs catch the Grizzlies now. There's probably a 50/50 chance they could move to 12th and a slim chance they could still move to 11th. If the Celtics bomb out of the playoffs after Brown's injury, that'd push the Spurs to at worst 12th if they miss the playoffs.

If the Spurs make the playoffs, they'd most likely get the 15th pick but they could theoretically slide down all the way down to 17. Putting odds on it, I'd say 60% 15th, 35% 16th, 5% 17th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if the Spurs miss the playoffs, it'll be no worse than the 13th pick since there's almost a zero percent chance that the Spurs catch the Grizzlies now. There's probably a 50/50 chance they could move to 12th and a slim chance they could still move to 11th. If the Celtics bomb out of the playoffs after Brown's injury, that'd push the Spurs to at worst 12th if they miss the playoffs.

If the Spurs make the playoffs, they'd most likely get the 15th pick but they could theoretically slide down all the way down to 17. Putting odds on it, I'd say 60% 15th, 35% 16th, 5% 17th.
    For the second paragraph, the Spurs are much more in control of their destiny. Lose the remaining games (and hope the Pels, Kings lose one game), and 15th pick is pretty much secured. It's what I hope they do, but you never know with the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the second paragraph, the Spurs are much more in control of their destiny. Lose the remaining games (and hope the Pels, Kings lose one game), and 15th pick is pretty much secured. It's what I hope they do, but you never know with the Spurs.

Even if they lose their remaining games, they can go to 17 if they make the PO, That's what tim mvp is talking about.

Unlikely but if they win their two play in games and they are the 8th seed they could have the 17th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if they lose their remaining games, they can go to 17 if they make the PO, That's what tim mvp is talking about.

Unlikely but if they win their two play in games and they are the 8th seed they could have the 17th pick.
    No, if they lose the remaining it will result in what is likely the worst record out of all playoff teams = 15th pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, if they lose the remaining it will result in what is likely the worst record out of all playoff teams = 15th pick

No, cause Washington, Indiana and Charlotte ( same record if both teams lose all so it's draw) can all make the PO with a worse record than the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, cause Washington, Indiana and Charlotte ( same record if both teams lose all so it's draw) can all make the PO with a worse record than the Spurs.
    Ah I wasn't assuming those teams would lose all their remaining games too. Washington needs to win two, while those other teams just need to win one. That's not unlikely for those teams to win that many. We'll see.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah I wasn't assuming those teams would lose all their remaining games too. Washington needs to win two, while those other teams just need to win one. That's not unlikely for those teams to win that many. We'll see.

Yes it's highly unlikely spurs will be 17 . Imo we'll have something between 13 and 15 like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, Nbadraft.net has Giddey going to Spurs at #13 in their latest mock.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-dr...year-mock=2021

The Spurs will be in an interesting spot as they will want to draft BPA with highest character, no red flags etc.
    Giddey could be the one prospect which they may feel is unnecessary (with DJ, White and potentially Tre Jones getting proper rotation burn next season), and Vassell, KJ locking up minutes at the 3.

If next season returns to normalcy as expected, the prospect is likely to spend a lot of time in Austin regardless.

Still doing some work on prospects, but can’t help but feel Kai Jones would be too tantalising a prospect to pass up if available between 13-16 ish pick.

They list him as a C but I wonder if he can develop into a 3-4.

A starting Front Court in 3 years of of KJ, Kai and Poeltl; (or even Kai, Sham and Poeltl), oozes with Defensive versatility.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year they hyper focused on defense with their two picks. If they continue with defense as a priority, I could see either Wagner or Garuba as their picks this year, if they're available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs will be in an interesting spot as they will want to draft BPA with highest character, no red flags etc.
    Giddey could be the one prospect which they may feel is unnecessary (with DJ, White and potentially Tre Jones getting proper rotation burn next season), and Vassell, KJ locking up minutes at the 3.

If next season returns to normalcy as expected, the prospect is likely to spend a lot of time in Austin regardless.

Still doing some work on prospects, but can’t help but feel Kai Jones would be too tantalising a prospect to pass up if available between 13-16 ish pick.

A starting Front Court in 3 years of of KJ, Kai and Poeltl; (or even Kai, Sham and Poeltl), oozes with Defensive versatility.
    Not a 3, but with a full year in Austin, and a lot of hard work, maybe a 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a 3, but with a full year in Austin, and a lot of hard work, maybe a 4.
    Kai Jones likely needs more than a full year in Austin just to be a serviceable player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a waste of a season. Another mid round draft pick who will be 2 years away from being a decent role player on a perennial 8th-10th seed. Likely a 6’4 tweener who can’t shoot 3s but is a stand up guy who has never had a traffic ticket. Rinse and repeat.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kai Jones might be worth it if they see a Jaren Jackson type prospect. They did try it with Metu. Still got room to add weight to his frame and late bloomer type who started basketball at a late age of 15 former track and long jump athlete.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know if the Spurs should be investing in any three year projects. Hyperbolizing a bit, but with a four-year rookie contract, sitting on the bench or G league, having to live in San Antonio, it’s hard for me to say if players will want to stick around here. Hopefully I’m dead wrong. When we were winning championships that was one thing, but on a bad team with an unclear direction? That seems problematic. I think high character ready to play by year 2 players are who we should target until we get in the top few picks in the lottery. * foreign born players would be the exception, I suppose.

Second round picks, different story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The JJJ comparison is a good one. Not saying he is anywhere close, and it's his shooting ability that makes him far off from JJJ than anything else. If he unlocks that, or if the Spurs have faith in his ability to become a shooter, then it wouldn't be a bad pick. Otherwise, his ceiling is Nic Claxton which isn't bad but not terribly needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

NBAdraft.net also has Kai Jones going just one spot ahead of Giddey at 12. I'd take either one of those guys if they slip to where the Spurs pick.

Kai Jones has athleticism that is extremely rare at his size -- and he can shoot. The sky's the limit.

Comparisons to Metu are likely inapt. Metu was a reticent player who had none of Kai's athleticism (or motor).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying "he can shoot" when he barely takes two 3 point attempts a game (most times he only shoots one) is intellectually dishonest. His shot profile consists of mostly shots near the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying "he can shoot" when he barely takes two 3 point attempts a game (most times he only shoots one) is intellectually dishonest. His shot profile consists of mostly shots near the rim.
    I think he can shoot, but what the heck, I never was an intellectual.

(Although NBAdraft.net rates his jump shot a 9, its highest rating.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7 footers have a history of going in the lottery but i think kai's stock is going to drop unless he has a breakout performance at the combine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7 footers have a history of going in the lottery but i think kai's stock is going to drop unless he has a breakout performance at the combine.
    At 6’10, he’s as close to 6’8” as he is to 7’0”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At 6’10, he’s as close to 6’8” as he is to 7’0”.
    Not to quibble, but NBAdraft.net says he's 6'11".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The draft pick status is looking better and better for the Spurs. There's a 99% chance the Suns will have something to play for in each of their two games this weekend and the Spurs have nothing to play for, which hopefully means two PHX wins, tbh, and the Spurs finish with 33 wins. It also looks like the Wizards or Hornets will be able to get to that 34-win mark (they play each other in the final game). The Pacers should also get to 34 wins, as long as they can beat the tanking Raptors in their last game.

So if the Spurs miss the playoffs, it's looking pretty likely that they'll have either the 11th pick or the 12th pick, most likely depending on a coin flip. That's the same exact position the Spurs were in last year and they won the coin flip to get the 11th pick.

If the Spurs make the playoffs, the door is still open to drop all the way down to the 17th pick depending on how the play-in tournament goes in the East

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I go over tape, the more confusing the draft gets, tbh. After the fifth pick, every player is either painfully flawed or has a low ceiling.

-After watching more of Tennessee, I'm lower on Keon Johnson and Springer. Johnson is really athletic but he has the skills of a PF in the body of a SG. His road to being a productive player is longer than I originally thought. Springer is solid but I'm now unconvinced he has the athleticism to be a starting PG. I'd be okay with the Spurs picking Keon. I wouldn't be super excited but I could understand the gamble on his elite athleticism. Springer in the lottery? Ehh, don't think I could behind that.

-Other players who are being mocked high who I wouldn't want the Spurs to pick in the lottery: Davion Mitc (don't buy his shot, stock is way too inflated right now), Isaiah Jackson (run and jump bigs are dime a dozen), Garuba (awesome defensive prospect but his offense is too far away), Dosunmu (Spurs-y character kid but too small and too unathletic).

-Of the international prospects, I like Giddey the best ... but I could understand passing on him. At the end of the day, he's a subpar athlete, subpar shooter and a subpar defender ... and that's tough to overcome as a prospect. His passing is good but some of his assists where he holds the ball 30 feet from the basket, stands in the pocket like Tom Brady and fires passes to the interior might work in Australia but won't work in the NBA. The fit on the Spurs is also suspect. If they passed on Haliburton, why would they pick Giddey? And since Giddey projects to most likely be a role player in the NBA, picking him isn't even much of a swing for the fences. Gambling to hope he turns into Ingles 2.0 doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a Spurs team that lacks a franchise player.

-I'm still relatively low on Sengun. Awesome production but he's the exact archetype that you don't want: an undersized center who will probably be a 4.5 because he's too slow to defend the perimeter and isn't a three-point shooter. His production is impressive enough that I wouldn't hate the Spurs picking him ... but, man, it's difficult to imagine how he fits in today's NBA. That said, unlike Giddey, Sengun does have a path to s om, I think. There's a chance that he's just so productive that he'll figure it out one way or another.

-There aren't any other internationals I'd want the Spurs to consider in the lottery. I was intrigued by Roko but the more I watch, the more I think he's not athletic enough to warrant a lottery pick.

-Players on my don't-love-it-but-I-understand-the-pick tier: Barnes, Wagner, Kispert. I think Barnes has a deceptively low floor and will probably end up being a center in the NBA but if he puts it all together, he has star upside as a perimeter player -- so that'd be intriguing enough. Wagner doesn't have a high ceiling but he should be a solid role player who makes players around him better ... and that's a trait the Spurs could use right now. Kispert is the best shooting prospect in the draft. The Spurs obviously need shooting so if they pick Kispert, I'd have to reluctantly nod in approval.

-My interest is waning on Kai Jones. His floor is just so unbelievably low that it'd be tough to pull the trigger on him with a lottery pick. I guess the Spurs can pick him if they think the Samanic project is dead and they want to press the reset button and try again. But, even then, do you really want to use a lottery pick on a guy who's most likely positive outcome is as a rim-running big? Sure, there's that 0.001% chance he becomes a poor man's Giannis but even Samanic was a much more complete player entering the draft.

-I think the only zero hesitation pick in the late lottery for me right now would be Moody. Three-and-D floor with enough upside (mostly due to the rate at which he draws fouls) to easily justify a lottery pick. The only worry from the Spurs perspective would be the complete overlap between Vassell and Moody. But, then again, those types of players are valuable and you can never have too many.

-Players in my f-it-let's-just-pick-someone-who-will-stick-in-the-NBA tier: Jared Butler, Chris Duarte. Drafting either in the lottery would be tooooooooooough but if the Spurs can't trade back, don't believe in any of the projects and just want a safe player who'd be ready to play on Day 1, those would be the two guys.

-Three players I think the Spurs need to consider who look like anti-Spurs on paper: Bouknight, Ziaire Williams, Jalen Johnson. Bouknight had some legal issues in college but it looks like he has the it-factor when it comes to being a scorer. Ziaire was terrible at Stanford but he was a top ten recruit. A 6-foot-8 perimeter player who shows flashes of scoring, playmaking and elite athleticism? In this draft, you can honestly justify picking him anywhere outside of the top five, even though he was hot garbage as a freshman. Jalen Johnson has some character red flags but I'm not even sure those red flags are serious. Hopping from high school to high school and quitting on Duke? Yeah, who cares, tbh? Amateur hoops is a dirty, exploitive world. If you interview him and do your research and he seems like a good kid, I'd look past those supposed red flags. A 6-foot-9 big, physical wing who can handle the ball, pass, rebound and cause havoc on defense with multiple avenues to being really good? Sounds good to me.

All told, the players who have my eye most right now are Moody, Jalen Johnson, Wagner and Kispert -- with Giddey and Ziaire gaining momentum.

Thread Information