Page 19 of 171 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure you can.

Would you sign a solid player to a $4 mil per year, 4-year contract in free agency? In free agency, that's a steal.

If there's no one else worth it that's available and if you believe he'll produce, then I don't see why not.
    Yeah, money-wise, he's worth it. The part that's difficult to figure out is how much to value Duarte compared to the possible ceilings of some of these other prospects. For example, Scottie Barnes is underwhelming right now but if he figures it out, his absolute ceiling is a superstar. Keon Johnson is probably in that same boat. Even someone like Sengun who I don't really love has a chance to develop into a bigger, craftier Montrezl Harrell if things break right in his development.

That being said, I'm also tired of going after combo guards.
    Duarte has broad shoulders and enough strength that I think he can play on the wing. But, yeah, the foursome of Murray, White, Duarte and Johnson would be too small. You'd have to pick three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking at him a while back. If he were even 22, you’d have to. A lot of teams passed on White simply because he was 23. Duarte currently is a no brainer anywhere past 15.
    Agreed that he's an easy pick outside of the lottery. If he were 22, he'd be an easy pick outside of the top ten. If the Spurs have a 12-14 pick in the lottery, then drafting Duarte would be tough ... but I'm not ready to say it'd be a bad idea.

I think it depends on what kind of team you have. If you're in the lottery with your own you should favor gambling on upside but if you're competing and you have a pick from a trade or maybe you're in the lottery because you star was injured....a ready older player is easier to justify....for us.... I couldn't take him in the lottery....we should gamble on a high ceiling....now if we can acquire another pick I'd look hard at him.
    Yeah, this was my initial reaction. Duarte back in the Duncan Years would have been a no-brainer. I think now you have to gamble on upside. But it depends on who will be available. Some of these upside guys are so questionable that they're almost not even worth it. Would I pass on Duarte for future headache Jalen Johnson, chuker Cam Thomas or all athlete, no skill Greg Brown? Eh.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure you can.

Would you sign a solid player to a $4 mil per year, 4-year contract in free agency? In free agency, that's a steal.
    That's not quite apples-to-apples. The opportunity cost of drafting Duarte is not having that pick to take someone else. The opportunity cost of signing him to a 4/16 deal in free agency would be only the loss of that cap space or chunk of the MLE.

I do see your point. Unless the Spurs can swing a trade for a major piece, I don't think a 24-year-old fits the timeline, especially at guard. If Duarte really is as polished and ready as LJ (and perhaps you) think then I can see the appeal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not quite apples-to-apples. The opportunity cost of drafting Duarte is not having that pick to take someone else. The opportunity cost of signing him to a 4/16 deal in free agency would be only the loss of that cap space or chunk of the MLE.

I do see your point. Unless the Spurs can swing a trade for a major piece, I don't think a 24-year-old fits the timeline, especially at guard. If Duarte really is as polished and ready as LJ (and perhaps you) think then I can see the appeal.
    Well, yeah. The condition I stated was that there would be no other prospects the Spurs would miss out on from where they pick. From there, the opportunity cost is zero. They would have to be 100% convinced that the other prospects aren't worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could play the 3 and takeover DeMar's role. DeMar is basically our PG right now, so it wouldn't make a difference. It's point guard by committee, they all take turns anyway... so the word "PG" is basically irrelevant now.
    in today's game, if you have a 6'8" ball handler with a skill set you can find a way to get him on the court, regardless of whether or not you have several possible PGs on the floor at once. but these players have to mesh. one never knows how murray's game or white's game would potentially suffer if they did not have the ball in their hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HoopsHype Hoopshype

Execs poll: Nikola Mirotic is the top player outside the NBA; Aussie draft prospect at No. 2. hoopshype.com/lists/nba-exec…
    12:31pm · 19 Apr 2021 · Twitter Web App

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HoopsHype Hoopshype

Execs poll: Nikola Mirotic is the top player outside the NBA; Aussie draft prospect at No. 2. hoopshype.com/lists/nba-exec…
    Cage match: Mirotic and Bobby Portis for a roster spot.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HoopsHype Hoopshype

But what about Milutinov?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HoopsHype Hoopshype

Interesting tidbit in there....they claim Sengun is now 6' 10"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we can't luck out and get Evan Mobley, I would rather have Kai Jones.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we can't luck out and get Evan Mobley, I would rather hI save Kai Jones.
    I started more homework on Jones, i understand the hype with his athletism, mobility, some outside game.... but i have some problems analysing his ceilling ( quite difficult with every rookie lol). The numbers were not stunning at Texas so i'm icurious to know what people see in him.

Interesting video about him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't expect the developmental program through Austin to change anytime soon...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't expect the developmental program through Austin to change anytime soon...
    A big chunk is the culture. The culture is a winning thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I started more homework on Jones, i understand the hype with his athletism, mobility, some outside game.... but i have some problems analysing his ceilling ( quite difficult with every rookie lol). The numbers were not stunning at Texas so i'm icurious to know what people see in him.

Interesting video about him
    I watched a lot of Texas' games this year, and from the first game, Kai Jones jumped off the screen as the guy I wanted the Spurs to draft--this was before mock drafts caught on, and Greg Brown was still seen to be the Longhorn most likely to be a lotto pick.

His ceiling is one of the bigger mysteries of this draft class. In theory, it's incredibly high.

He started playing organized basketball at 15. He has a combination of length and athleticism that can't be taught and his shot mechanics are pretty good (room for improvement but not in need of a complete remodel). He has good 3pt range for his size. Being long and athletic, he's almost an ideal modern big if he can put it all together. Rim running and 3pt shooting on offense, defender who can switch on guards in the P&R. Dude has whipped out some impressive Eurosteps on drives to the bucket, too. He flashes some special, special stuff.

The big thing with Kai is the stuff that takes time to develop, and having started playing basketball as late as he did, it makes sense. Lacks refinement in the post-up game. Makes some boneheaded decisions on both sides of the ball.

Kai improved a TON from his freshman year to sop re season, which is why he rocketed up draft boards. Scouts tuned in to watch potential one-and-done Greg Brown and Kai Jones was the guy they ended up falling in love with. The dude simply jumps off the screen. You have to like to see that year-to-year improvement, and wonder if it will continue. He's a ball of clay for a coaching staff to develop, but has all star potential.

You never know with some of these guys who start playing basketball late. If they have the mentality and work-ethic to be great, they can become stars. I'm not by any means suggesting Kai has a Giannis level ceiling, but they are similar in terms of guys who started late, but have size/athletic ability and an unrefined but promising set of skills.

I'd be thrilled if we drafted Kai--his ceiling is EXACTLY what our glut of young guards need to be paired with--but I also know he's a major boom/bust project.
    Last edited by longhorn; 04-19-2021 at 07:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bigs out of Texas haven't exactly lit the world on fire lately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inching closer to being out of the lottery and back to 1 and done in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inching closer to being out of the lottery and back to 1 and done in the playoffs.
    I don’t see it. They’ll almost certainly be in the play in bracket, but we’ll lose as soon as we play GS. We’ll be in the lottery. Waited too long to get their together.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moses Moody is a good prospect. 6'6 205 with 7ft wingspan. Not many good 3 and D wing with a Harden-esque free throw rate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched a lot of Texas' games this year, and from the first game, Kai Jones jumped off the screen as the guy I wanted the Spurs to draft--this was before mock drafts caught on, and Greg Brown was still seen to be the Longhorn most likely to be a lotto pick.

His ceiling is one of the bigger mysteries of this draft class. In theory, it's incredibly high.

He started playing organized basketball at 15. He has a combination of length and athleticism that can't be taught and his shot mechanics are pretty good (room for improvement but not in need of a complete remodel). He has good 3pt range for his size. Being long and athletic, he's almost an ideal modern big if he can put it all together. Rim running and 3pt shooting on offense, defender who can switch on guards in the P&R. Dude has whipped out some impressive Eurosteps on drives to the bucket, too. He flashes some special, special stuff.

The big thing with Kai is the stuff that takes time to develop, and having started playing basketball as late as he did, it makes sense. Lacks refinement in the post-up game. Makes some boneheaded decisions on both sides of the ball.

Kai improved a TON from his freshman year to sop re season, which is why he rocketed up draft boards. Scouts tuned in to watch potential one-and-done Greg Brown and Kai Jones was the guy they ended up falling in love with. The dude simply jumps off the screen. You have to like to see that year-to-year improvement, and wonder if it will continue. He's a ball of clay for a coaching staff to develop, but has all star potential.

You never know with some of these guys who start playing basketball late. If they have the mentality and work-ethic to be great, they can become stars. I'm not by any means suggesting Kai has a Giannis level ceiling, but they are similar in terms of guys who started late, but have size/athletic ability and an unrefined but promising set of skills.

I'd be thrilled if we drafted Kai--his ceiling is EXACTLY what our glut of young guards need to be paired with--but I also know he's a major boom/bust project.
    Thanks, he's for sure an interesting and intriguing player. As a Texas player, i'm sure RC knows him pretty well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really interested to see what the Warriors do if they have Wiseman, the Minny pick, and their own 1st....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. I bet if Bob Myers had a do over, he'd trade the pick for an asset + a later pick, and grab Haliburton. The Death Lineup & the Hamptons Five pretty much proved that they don't need or want a traditional center down there clogging the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good write-up. Mostly agree.

Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of drafting hustle bigs. They're just not valuable enough even when they pan out. IMO, it's smarter to gamble on a guard or a wing because those are so much more valuable when they pan out.

But Kai's trajectory of improvement and the perimeter aspects of his game make me like him more than a standard hustle big. He's another player where if he hits the top 1% of his outcomes, you might have a star on your hands.

Last year's draft didn't have many potential stars outside of LaMelo and Edwards. This year's draft has a lot. The problem will be that most of these potential stars will end up busting in spectacular fashion, so it'll be a gamble. Even Kai specifically has probably a ~70% chance of never being more than a bench big ... but also enough upside that I wouldn't have a problem with the Spurs picking him at ~14.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good comp I heard on Kai Jones is Chris Boucher. A stretch backup big as his realistic outcome. Ultimately I think he is a 2nd contract guy, the team that would probably benefit from his development is not the team that drafts him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiseman was terrible this season, tbh. As I wrote previously, he was Golden State's tank commander. His highlights looked good but he was clueless. Warriors locked their spot in the play-in tournament when Wiseman's meniscus snapped.

Another rookie who has been much worse than his highlights has been Patrick Williams. No one wants to admit it but he doesn't look that good and he's a big reason why the Bulls are flailing. His true position appears to be power forward but he's a bad rebounder so they've tried to shoehorn him as a SF. It's not working, tbh. He's not quick enough to defend perimeter players and he doesn't shoot enough threes to space the court on the other end. Williams is still really young so he has a chance to turn it around but he belongs in that same Wiseman category right now.

Thread Information