Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Apparently a great guy off the court. Read that he built a hospital for his community in Senegal and is doing all kinds of charitable work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With this hole being filled and assuming he does a good job, Spurs only need to worry about finding a big wing and/or depth at the four during this upcoming off-season.

I thought you like Keldon and Luka at the 4? Just trying to see where you think Luka and Keldon fit in exactly. I agree that this is the type of player we need now only because I think Keldon is a 3 and should only play 4 situationally.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Not quite as pumped as some of you. I see a 31 year old 6ppg and 5 rbg player about to get resigned by a size starved Spurs team this off-season for 3 years 45 million.
    So Poeltl's backup is going to get offered more than Poeltl?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He sniffed out that summer cap space like a truffle pig.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Apparently a great guy off the court. Read that he built a hospital for his community in Senegal and is doing all kinds of charitable work.

Great stuff thanks for posting. Good reminder that these players can keep basketball and life into perspective!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He sniffed out that summer cap space like a truffle pig.
    My thoughts too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Delusional, conspiracy theory Spurs fans are an interesting branch of this fandom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, he’s only started like 40% of his games played for his entire career. He’ll be fine coming off the bench, unlike Mah Touches...

Thats fine, Your definition of "riding the bench" is different from mine. Trey Lyles is "riding the bench". Rudy Gay and Patty Mills are not "riding the bench". He should be at the very least taking Eubanks spot and taking some of Poeltl's minutes if he is playing well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two games where he killed us:

Everybody lights up the Spurs so that's not saying much. Do you have highlights of him lighting someone else up? How well does he guard the perimeter three?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought you like Keldon and Luka at the 4? Just trying to see where you think Luka and Keldon fit in exactly. I agree that this is the type of player we need now only because I think Keldon is a 3 and should only play 4 situationally.
    I don't "like" Keldon at the 4, but I've come to terms that's pretty much what will happen if:

1) DeMar is back
    2) Keldon doesn't improve his lateral quickness

If DeMar is gone, then yeah, I can see Keldon putting in more time at the 3. That's when we'll need a sharpshooter right behind him.

Regarding Luka, whether he starts next year or not, it would be great to add some compe ion for him at that spot preferably NOT Rudy Gay. I'm hoping maybe Nicolas Batum will come here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everybody lights up the Spurs so that's not saying much. Do you have highlights of him lighting someone else up? How well does he guard the perimeter three?
    Dieng has a lot of highlights online, I just specifically sought out the games against the Spurs.

Listen, no one is expecting Dieng to light it up or become a top tier role player on this team.

For everyone who has been watching, they know that since LMA left the backup C has been a BIG hole that's impacting wins and losses. We're playing Rudy Gay out of position and then having to play Eubanks, who is like a deer in headlights most of the time.

Dieng is NOT the savior of this team. But he fixes a couple rotation flaws. We'll see what positive impact he has, assuming he understands the Spurs' system quickly enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't "like" Keldon at the 4, but I've come to terms that's pretty much what will happen if:

1) DeMar is back
    2) Keldon doesn't improve his lateral quickness

If DeMar is gone, then yeah, I can see Keldon putting in more time at the 3. That's when we'll need a sharpshooter right behind him.

Regarding Luka, whether he starts next year or not, it would be great to add some compe ion for him at that spot preferably NOT Rudy Gay. I'm hoping maybe Nicolas Batum will come here.
    Never understood Spurstalk's obsession with Batum. Especially not now that he is 98 years old and washed up. Pass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mushroom cloud over San Antonio caused by Gorgui Dieng is an amazing sight to behold.

Is this what it feels like when a desparate guy gets glanced by an average girl?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never understood Spurstalk's obsession with Batum. Especially not now that he is 98 years old and washed up. Pass
    I understand your assessment, but the guy is fitting in like a glove on a contender team this season and it looks like when he's motivated, he's a plus player.

If not Batum, there's a couple other guys out there that can improve the depth at the 4, like maybe Otto Porter Jr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some more random thoughts after digesting the news a bit more:

-The Grizzlies waiving him shouldn't be viewed as su ious, IMO. In addition to Valanciunas, they've basically figured out that Brandon Clarke is a center. Xavier Tillman is a rookie center who is deserving of minutes. Two other rookie centers on their roster are pretty interesting: Killian Tille and Jontay Porter. Considering I would have loved Tillman, Tille or Porter in the second round of the last two drafts, I can't blame them for waiving Dieng. You can't have six centers in today's NBA.

-What reason will Dieng give to picking the Spurs? My guesses, in order, would be: 1) Culture/coffee gang 2) Pop 3) Long-term fit 4) Money 5) Promise of minutes

-I don't see Dieng playing a ton of minutes. Poeltl will get his 25-30. There are a number of teams that don't even play backup centers anymore so Dieng wouldn't see many minutes in those games. My guess is he'll average 15 to 18 minutes per game.

-If you're Eubanks, you have to be a little saddened. But, like others have mentioned, Poeltl backed up by Eubanks is suboptimal for the Spurs because they have similar strengths and weaknesses. Dieng is a totally different player than Poeltl, which is useful. Eubanks is a high-quality third string center who is signed to a very affordable contract. I think he has shown enough to date to keep open the possibility that he's eventually a rotation piece on a playoff team. Considering where his NBA journey began (started playing basketball late, uneven college career, undrafted), that's still impressive.

-I don't anticipate any Poeltl/Dieng pairings. It could happen since Dieng is more mobile than 35-year-old Aldridge but I wouldn't want Pop to get into that habit.

-Could Dieng be the closing center? It's possible. Hak-a-Jak is getting more popular and Pop has historically preferred playing shooting bigs to close out games. The main issue is Poeltl's a much savvier player so that might trump Dieng's shooting.

-This is probably the strangest buyout signing since Drew Gooden. The Spurs didn't have obvious minutes for Gooden and he was known as a me-first player ... but he decided to sign with the Spurs anyways. That ultimately didn't really work out but the Spurs had use for his scoring ability down the stretch of that season.

-Could Dieng be a bust? Oh, yeah, that's a possibility. His robotic play isn't a natural fit in a system that relies so much on synchronized movements. There's a chance he's a liability on both ends if he can't adjust. But, assuming he won't be signed to a multi-year deal right away, the risk is miniscule. The upside is there for him to become a very important part of the team. If the transition goes smoothly, he could be the difference in a few extra wins down the stretch.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow he signed with us despite Danny Ferry being in the front office.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please provide a link to anyone of PATFO saying anything about Chriss, positive or negative. Your certainty means you can surely provide one...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sounds like a great guy! Welcome!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like a stop-gap acquisition.

The Spurs eventually need to address their big situation with a younger player with considerably more upside.

Kai Jones might work if he somehow slips to where they draft.

In the meantime, this guy should help during the playoff run.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mushroom cloud over San Antonio caused by Gorgui Dieng is an amazing sight to behold.

Is this what it feels like when a desparate guy gets glanced by an average girl?

I don’t know. Does it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha I was just about to post this. Let’s start making Ex post receipts for some his BS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know. Does it?
    That's why I was asking you bruh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ew burn the burner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please provide a link to anyone of PATFO saying anything about Chriss, positive or negative. Your certainty means you can surely provide one...
    I enjoy watching you get owned. It’s the hubris coupled with silence when you are wrong for me. It happens DAILY.

GOATS of a feather the golden era's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes

Thread Information