Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No point in paying him to go away with the brutal schedule we have. Also don’t want to put a big man on the market for Ainge and Riles to fight over.
    It's not a big deal obviously. I'm just looking at it from his perspective and the Spurs' history.

The Heat need a backup five and either way, Lyles isn't changing anyone's fortunes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Culture is a great thing; simply saying it’s not really quantified with regards to winning or landing FA. This was a very unique situation with a lower level player that had a very special connection to RC Buford.

It’s not to totally dismiss this but if you are at all projecting forward based off of this? Mistake.
    SpursTalk has narrow viewpoints and short memories.

People were already jumping on the "tank and rebuild" bandwagon well before 2012...you know, when that very same team had 3 straight WCFs, 2 straight Finals, and 1 championship. They conveniently ignore the fact that tanking will piss of an already fickle fan-base and may not even guarantee a top 3 pick, let alone one who is going to turn a franchise around.

So many are waving the "fire Pop" flag without any idea of what a replacement would like, and with little respect to what he has accomplished (insert "Duncan carried him" replies here)

Now people are urging to "change the culture" that the Spurs have built over 20 years....to what exactly? Culture isn't just a new set of tires and a fresh paint job, it takes years and years to develop and just because you are changing directions doesn't mean you are going the right way. For all its warts, most teams in the NBA would still kill to have ANY culture, let alone a culture like the Spurs.

But yeah, a few bad eggs can spoil the bunch, so I guess let's rely on the opinions of the likes of Gasol, Morris, Carrol, and Aldridge to chart the Spurs future.

Everyone is looking for an easy button to solve a complicated problem, and I'm afraid that just doesn't exist.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Winhorst podcast had a thing on the Spurs and a gm for another team (anonymous of course) said the Spurs won the trade deadline and upgraded by releasing LMA and signing Dieng.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Winhorst podcast had a thing on the Spurs and a gm for another team (anonymous of course) said the Spurs won the trade deadline and upgraded by releasing LMA and signing Dieng.
    for all the flack the spurs FO caught from ST posters, they actually did quite well. and they didn't take on a bad contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SpursTalk has narrow viewpoints and short memories.

People were already jumping on the "tank and rebuild" bandwagon well before 2012...you know, when that very same team had 3 straight WCFs, 2 straight Finals, and 1 championship. They conveniently ignore the fact that tanking will piss of an already fickle fan-base and may not even guarantee a top 3 pick, let alone one who is going to turn a franchise around.

So many are waving the "fire Pop" flag without any idea of what a replacement would like, and with little respect to what he has accomplished (insert "Duncan carried him" replies here)

Now people are urging to "change the culture" that the Spurs have built over 20 years....to what exactly? Culture isn't just a new set of tires and a fresh paint job, it takes years and years to develop and just because you are changing directions doesn't mean you are going the right way. For all its warts, most teams in the NBA would still kill to have ANY culture, let alone a culture like the Spurs.

But yeah, a few bad eggs can spoil the bunch, so I guess let's rely on the opinions of the likes of Gasol, Morris, Carrol, and Aldridge to chart the Spurs future.

Everyone is looking for an easy button to solve a complicated problem, and I'm afraid that just doesn't exist.
    I didn’t say change the culture. I said you can’t quantify it and its not leading to wins. Talent is what matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We now have a perfectly rounded roster of elite role players & a nice level of secondary shot creation to facilitate Kawhi's return on his redemption tour....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t say change the culture. I said you can’t quantify it and its not leading to wins. Talent is what matters.
    Understood. Even though I quoted you, I was really speaking more to the people who prompted this conversation in the first place.

I think someone earlier asked to provide a number of how many people chose NOT to come to San Antonio because of “culture”. That is asking for a quantifiable answer for a question that is impossible to quantify.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understood. Even though I quoted you, I was really speaking more to the people who prompted this conversation in the first place.

I think someone earlier asked to provide a number of how many people chose NOT to come to San Antonio because of “culture”. That is asking for a quantifiable answer for a question that is impossible to quantify.
    Gotcha - makes sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Unexpected.

How did the Spurs win that race? Did they give him more than the minimum?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate the gesture, Gorgui, but maybe you should have went to another team you could have helped contend for the Championship. Thanks for picking the Spurs, but maybe you should have been a bit more selfish and picked a team that had a chance to go somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not too late for the Spurs to do right by him and buy him out fwiw...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not too late for the Spurs to do right by him and buy him out fwiw...
    ??? Why buy him out? It wouldn't help him or us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ??? Why buy him out? It wouldn't help him or us.
    I was being sarcastic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was being sarcastic.
    Stick to the pirate code... Blue font.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker: "Gorgui Dieng can bring a lot to Spurs ..."

Former NBA star, French basketball player Tony Parker is delighted to see Gorgui Sy Dieng join his franchise of heart, the San Antonio Spurs. For Parker, the Senegalese international has all the assets to succeed in his new challenge.

“I think it's going to be okay for him. He joins one of the best teams in the NBA with a coach (Gregg Popovich, editor's note) who is perhaps the best in the history of the NBA and therefore, I think he will be able to progress well there and I think that he is a player who can bring a lot to Spurs ”, confided TP in the columns of Emedias visited by Senego.

In addition, Tony Parker said that the Senegalese are among the best players in the world. “You have a lot of African players who play well, whether in basketball or football, you have players in the best championships in the world. Concerning Senegal, I think that your country is very efficient and in football or basketball, you are among the best ”, he maintains.

https://senego.com/basket-tony-parke...s_1249515.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “I think it's going to be okay for him. He joins one of the worst teams in the NBA with a coach (Gregg Popovich, editor's note) who is perhaps the most overrated in the history of the NBA and therefore, I think he will be able to progress well there and I think that he is a player who can bring a lot to Spurs ”
    FIFY

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we want another shooter... Houston is waiving McLemore..

Lineups of DJ, Vassell, DDR, Luka, and Poeltl

and

White, McLemore, KJ, Rudy, and Dieng

and

DJ, Patty, McLemore, KJ, and Dieng

would be interesting..
    Last edited by mo7888; 04-03-2021 at 09:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie>McLemore by a wide margin

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we want another shooter... Houston is waiving McLemore..

Lineups of DJ, Vassell, DDR, Luka, and Poeltl

and

White, McLemore, KJ, Rudy, and Dieng

and

DJ, Patty, McLemore, KJ, and Dieng

would be interesting..
    McLemore is basicallly Bryn Forbes but a worse shooter. No thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs climbed from 10 to 4 when they benched Aldridge. Then, they got the COVID wrench thrown in the works, and sputtered, dropping back to 8th. No reason they can’t climb back into the 4-6 range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Gots to be trolling,tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hasn't looked real comfy in his role so far. But big men typical don't blend into the Spurs' schizm right away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should start soon. Spacing looks much better and his defense is good too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to OP for calling it… twice, in fact!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did he call? It's a Twitter post

Thread Information