Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to set the all-time wins record?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to set the all-time wins record?

Can’t be. That would mean Gregg isn’t over himself.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    If he doesn't make this team any better and coaches next season getting those 36 more wins for the all-time record may prove difficult. He's lying if he says he doesn't want that record of course he does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it is. You know the old man has never gotten over himself, but wants his players to do so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he doesn't make this team any better and coaches next season getting those 36 more wins for the all-time record may prove difficult. He's lying if he says he doesn't want that record of course he does.
    By the time next season rolls around it will be in the 20s to pass Nellie, not 36. Why shouldn’t he get the record? His win % is 67, and both of the guys ahead of him are in the low to mid 50s. In essence, they did over their whole careers what Pop has done this year so far, .535

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't even know he was that close to the record. I thought he was still a ways off as those guys above him seemed to coach for ages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't even know he was that close to the record. I thought he was still a ways off as those guys above him seemed to coach for ages.
    He’s doing it in a LOT fewer games.

Nellie 1335-1063 2398 games
    Wilkins 1332-1155 2487 games
    Pop 1300-634 1934 games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s doing it in a LOT fewer games.

Nellie 1335-1063 2398 games
    Wilkins 1332-1155 2487 games
    Pop 1300-634 1934 games
    Pop 5 rings
    Wilkins 1
    Nellie 0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a subject worth posting about - not a common situation around the forum in recent years. Gregory deserves kudos for the 1300 wins with a much higher W-L percentage than the top two guys.

I can't imagine Pop not wanting that record when it is so close. The young Holts will not get in the way right now.

Hopefully Coach Pop can focus on his job (and not other things - that's a big if) for another year or two if he keeps coaching the Spurs. I wonder if the Olympic BBall gig will get cancelled again and prevent him from that possible career achievement.

I hope he can get enough wins to keep Glenn Rivers from catching him. That Glenn Rivers is a really sorry individual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a subject worth posting about - not a common situation around the forum in recent years. Gregory deserves kudos for the 1300 wins with a much higher W-L percentage than the top two guys.

I can't imagine Pop not wanting that record when it is so close. The young Holts will not get in the way right now.

Hopefully Coach Pop can focus on his job (and not other things - that's a big if) for another year or two if he keeps coaching the Spurs. I wonder if the Olympic BBall gig will get cancelled again and prevent him from that possible career achievement.

I hope he can get enough wins to keep Glenn Rivers from catching him. That Glenn Rivers is a really sorry individual.
    Exactly, call it vanity or compe iveness or stubbornness....but when you have a chance to put yourself in a position of "the most winning coach in NBA history", you don't just shrug something like that off.

He already has the record if you count regular season + playoff wins, but that seems to get lost in the ether for some reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc Rivers will likely pass him anyways if he coaches another decade. Doc is at 976 wins and he’s only 59 years old, and it seems like he only ever coaches good teams (Orlando, Boston, Clippers, Sixers, etc.) He’ll likely get the record tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc Rivers will likely pass him anyways if he coaches another decade. Doc is at 976 wins and he’s only 59 years old, and it seems like he only ever coaches good teams (Orlando, Boston, Clippers, Sixers, etc.) He’ll likely get the record tbh.
    One difference is Popovich has accomplished his number coaching for one organization. That will be tough to beat in the future by anyone as it is exceedingly rare for a coach to stay in one place long enough to get that many wins and that is not taking in to account the ups and downs most team's experience.
    Last edited by Ocotillo; 03-29-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo per usual

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though Pop is #3 with 1300 wins for regular season, he is #1 with 1470 wins for regular season + playoffs. I personally think the latter is the more meaningful statistic anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why shouldn’t he get the record?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only team in the NBA with a plus-.500 record that had no All-Star.

Pop must be doing something right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are timvp and kori still letting the derp continue to post?

Was just surprised that the information he posted was not from gab.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man if our organization can’t put up with these years of “sucking” for him to get the all time wins then shame on both them and fans. That’s #1 in the entire effing NBA. Why wouldn’t you want Pop to get it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. He is coaching because basketball has become his life now and all his assistants are getting good jobs elsewhere so he might as well continue until he can't anymore. Also coupled with a combination of: Losing his wife and now basketball is a bigger part of his life, the increased emphasis of our youth developing (he has to really focus on player development, teaching, and mentoring), USA basketball, Trump and racist rebellions everywhere, and maybe grooming one of the younger coaches to be his true successor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man if our organization can’t put up with these years of “sucking” for him to get the all time wins then shame on both them and fans. That’s #1 in the entire effing NBA. Why wouldn’t you want Pop to get it?
    Because they'd rather see the team lose for a few years to get a couple #3 draft picks which aren't going to change a goddamn thing then watch it get shipped off to Vegas.

In essence, they aren't really San Antonio Spurs fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only team in the NBA with a plus-.500 record that had no All-Star.

Pop must be doing something right.

psssh ya because the media award failed to pic Derozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    regular season wins by washed vets without playoffs

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess in OPs cancel culture world you can’t have personal goals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan in last place with the best winning percentage.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Very likely. Although it sucks that his winning percentage is dipping now.

I've heard him say something to the effect that retirement does not sound like any fun because you can only work in the garden so long before you get bored.

Thread Information