Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They had a decent run of good to great albums. My favorite was Check Yo Head.

The format was having the two surviving members up on stage in front of a live audience with cutting back and forth between historical clips and their comments. Which was interesting.
    But ideally, I was hoping to come away with thinking, "these guys turned out all-right and are good dues".
    The reality is that they come across as assholes that never grew up, regardless of what they say during the show. Adam Yauch/MCA (the dead BB) seemed to be the only one that had any kind of personal growth and the remaining two seem to be trying to piggy-back off his good will.

Not to mention that their success seemed to be totally attributable by Yauch and connecting with Rick Rubin at the right time.

In the end, I came away with thinking that Ad-Rock and Mike D were, and are still total assholes.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like a put on and maybe they were trying to damper any claims of them being buttholes and misogynists.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    MCA and Mike D to a lesser degree had talent.
    Dunno where they are on the a-hole charts.
    But I don't think it's prudent to judge them through a 2021 filter.

Haven't seen the doc. Is that the one on Apple?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    One of the most overrated groups in hip hop history tbh

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    No way, everyone was bumping Licensed to Ill. Even Ice Cube bit the Beastie Boys style on his early CIA albums.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    No way, everyone was bumping Licensed to Ill. Even Ice Cube bit the Beastie Boys style on his early CIA albums.
    Actually I won't say they're overrated because I never see them mentioned in the best rap groups discussion. I guess they will be middle of the pack.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    You're not black.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Actually I won't say they're overrated because I never see them mentioned in the best rap groups discussion. I guess they will be middle of the pack.
    Name the rap groups that are better than the Beastie Boys.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10469936[/URL]]Actually I won't say they're overrated because I never see them mentioned in the best rap groups discussion. I guess they will be middle of the pack.
    Rolling Stone puts 2 of their albums in the top 10 all time hip hop. For what that’s worth.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Name the rap groups that are better than the Beastie Boys.
    EPMD, Eric B and Rakim are two off the top of my head, but I do like the Beastie Boys.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Rolling Stone puts 2 of their albums in the top 10 all time hip hop. For what that’s worth.
    Can't take Rolling Stone serious when it comes to hip hop

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    EPMD, Eric B and Rakim are two off the top of my head, but I do like the Beastie Boys.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Can't take Rolling Stone serious when it comes to hip hop

Or anything, except Obama killing their reporter for trying to expose the war machine.

But RS totally on the mark IMO. Though it helps that most rap albums are sheeet or something of the like though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Beastie Boys are top 5 tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Groups better that BB:

Outkast
    The Roots
    Tribe Called Quest
    NWA
    UGK
    Mobb Deep
    Public Enemy
    Clipse
    BTNH
    3-6 Mafia
    Geto Boys

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Groups better that BB:

Outkast
    The Roots
    Tribe Called Quest
    NWA
    UGK
    Mobb Deep
    Public Enemy
    Clipse
    BTNH
    3-6 Mafia
    Geto Boys
    After extensive research and polling, here's pretty much the consensus for top 5 hip hop groups / artists of all time.

1) Eminem
    2) Beastie Boys
    3) 3rd Bass
    4) Kid Rock
    5) Vanilla Ice

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Groups better that BB:

Outkast
    The Roots
    Tribe Called Quest
    NWA
    UGK
    Mobb Deep
    Public Enemy
    Clipse
    BTNH
    3-6 Mafia
    Geto Boys
    But for real...you can't say the BB weren't a major influence on hip hop. Just like you can't say that Run DMC wasn't. Even though neither might make someone's modern day list of "best".

You can do the same thing with almost any genre of music. The later the artist, the more they have to build on. Until you get to the point where everything has been done and everything new is derivative.

Anyway, the point of this thread was really to rate the do entary.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Groups better that BB:

Outkast
    The Roots
    Tribe Called Quest
    NWA
    UGK
    Mobb Deep
    Public Enemy
    Clipse
    BTNH
    3-6 Mafia
    Geto Boys
    Damn no love for BDP or Ultramagnetic?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    After extensive research and polling, here's pretty much the consensus for top 5 hip hop groups / artists of all time.

1) Eminem
    2) Beastie Boys
    3) 3rd Bass
    4) Kid Rock
    5) Vanilla Ice
    looks legit

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    But for real...you can't say the BB weren't a major influence on hip hop. Just like you can't say that Run DMC wasn't. Even though neither might make someone's modern day list of "best".

You can do the same thing with almost any genre of music. The later the artist, the more they have to build on. Until you get to the point where everything has been done and everything new is derivative.

Anyway, the point of this thread was really to rate the do entary.
    Nah I agree they were. I think their impact is undeniable but as fair as actual skill goes, they're overrated. Same for Run DMC...horrible. you forgot to add Lil Wyte to your top groups list tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Damn no love for BDP or Ultramagnetic?
    I never got into them. I listed groups who's albums I own or grew up listening to.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I didn't think they came off as assholes at all. It was an interesting format for a TV doc, but I still liked it.

As for their music, I liked Licensed to Ill back in the day, but then I turned 17. Most of everything from Paul's Boutique on still holds up though.

They're a classic example of a group who didn't earn supers om, but they made the best of it when they got there.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    But for real...you can't say the BB weren't a major influence on hip hop. Just like you can't say that Run DMC wasn't.
    Yea, DMC and Aerosmith. Total game changers.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I didn't think they came off as assholes at all. It was an interesting format for a TV doc, but I still liked it.

As for their music, I liked Licensed to Ill back in the day, but then I turned 17. Most of everything from Paul's Boutique on still holds up though.

They're a classic example of a group who didn't earn supers om
    , but they made the best of it when they got there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nah I agree they were. I think their impact is undeniable but as fair as actual skill goes, they're overrated. Same for Run DMC...horrible. you forgot to add Lil Wyte to your top groups list tbh.

I mean...that was kind of my point. Of course today, we look at the early raps as pretty pedantic. Just like one could say that Hendrix (or Page, Beck, Robert Johnson, etc...) wasn't a great guitar player by today's standards. But at their time, they were at the top. Now any decent guitar player can play anything those guys every did. So are they not all time greats? Hendrix still has to be on that list. Even if there are 20 better iterations with superior technical skills.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

They're a classic example of a group who didn't earn supers om, but they made the best of it when they got there.
    I hated "Fight For Your Right" but there were some good cuts on that album. For me, Paul's Boutique and Check Yo' Head were pretty damn good. Anything after was OK but not as good as those two. But that also might have a lot to do with where I was at.

Thread Information