Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs didn’t really play as bad, but the Kings shot 50% in the 3pt range. Could Spurs defended better? Maybe. Hield, Haliburton, Fox, and co just seemed to had open shots. And that seemed to have been Spurs achilles, protecting the 3. We’ve seen too often teams heating up on 3’s against the Spurs, and we say, the opponents just got hot, or is it Spurs’ bad defense of the 3? Could the Spurs play better closing in, switching, denying? I think so. Pop needs to put good 3pt defense. We have long athletic who can switch. But besides that, Halliburton making too many teardrops. Spurs need to do a better job slowing down the rookie. Likewise when the Spurs were leading, is when they were running. This team is built to run, motion offense, not iso after iso. That killed the momentum. Spurs were on the roll when Pop pulled and subs uted Patty and Rudy. He should continue to milk. Likewise he pulled Poeltl and put Eubank after a very good play by Poeltl. I think those kill momentum. I know minutescare managed, but maybe a few more minutes stretch does not hurt. It just kills momentum otherwise. Hopefully we bounce back on the next meet. It’d be terrible to lose back to back at home to the Kings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs didn’t really play as bad, but the Kings shot 50% in the 3pt range. Could Spurs defended better? Maybe. Hield, Haliburton, Fox, and co just seemed to had open shots. And that seemed to have been Spurs achilles, protecting the 3. We’ve seen too often teams heating up on 3’s against the Spurs, and we say, the opponents just got hot, or is it Spurs’ bad defense of the 3? Could the Spurs play better closing in, switching, denying? I think so. Pop needs to put good 3pt defense. We have long athletic who can switch. But besides that, Halliburton making too many teardrops. Spurs need to do a better job slowing down the rookie. Likewise when the Spurs were leading, is when they were running. This team is built to run, motion offense, not iso after iso. That killed the momentum. Spurs were on the roll when Pop pulled and subs uted Patty and Rudy. He should continue to milk. Likewise he pulled Poeltl and put Eubank after a very good play by Poeltl. I think those kill momentum. I know minutescare managed, but maybe a few more minutes stretch does not hurt. It just kills momentum otherwise. Hopefully we bounce back on the next meet. It’d be terrible to lose back to back at home to the Kings.
    Spurs are 8th worst team in 3P% allowed. But are 13th best in 3PA allowed. They are also 18th in points in the paint allowed. The reason why the Spurs have a decent record and are in the playoff picture, is more to do with that they don't turn the ball over. Our offense is pretty poor too. Our points per possession is 24th in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't shoot, they can, we don't have top tier talent potential, they do, simple as. No need to overanalyze things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't shoot, they can, we don't have top tier talent potential, they do, simple as. No need to overanalyze things.
    They don't have the talent potential. I disagree. They can and do shoot well. And Pop has not worked out how to defend that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fk me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this went as expected. They are now 1-4 on this home stand and will most likely end it 1-8 or 2-7. 11th seed is this teams ceiling. You can't start 4 none-shooters, you'll already have trouble starting 2. I'm sure Pop will realize this 20 games from now

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't have the talent potential. I disagree. They can and do shoot well. And Pop has not worked out how to defend that.
    I take Fox over anyone on our team easily, from erattic contributor he has become a consistent threat, none of our players is consistent because they don't have the tools to be, not even Murray because his shooting is not good for a guard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I take Fox over anyone on our team easily, from erattic contributor he has become a consistent threat, none of our players is consistent because they don't have the tools to be, not even Murray because his shooting is not good for a guard
    Look at Fox's contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not agree, they have more shooters and we don't yes, they have a FP with fox and we don't have one yes but other than that they are not better than us.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's irritating seeing white the only one in the starting lineup willing to launch it from 3. Vassell or walker would be better for starting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never enjoy getting thoroughly beaten but these outings are becoming bittersweet. We are getting close to the point PATFO will need to start taking accountability and choose a true direction this summer. Every loss like this makes it apparent “running it back” should not be an option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never enjoy getting thoroughly beaten but these outings are becoming bittersweet. We are getting close to the point PATFO will need to start taking accountability and choose a true direction this summer. Every loss like this makes it apparent “running it back” should not be an option.
    The Spurs didn't run it back this year. If you're talking about a complete overhaul of the roster, sure. But the Spurs completely revamped their offense from last year and inserted three new players to get major minutes. Pop was quoted in the beginning of the year saying, "We weren't winning last year, so we had to change it up." I have no doubt if this becomes an unsuccessful season, that there will definitely be changes in store. At the very minimum, it will be inserting 2-3 "new" players into the rotation next year. I say "new" because they could be on the roster now, i.e. Vassell swallowing DeMar's minutes and/ or Luka swallowing Gay's. These are both major changes already, IMO. And not to mention if those two get a full off-season of work, who knows what they will add to their game?

Bottomline: last year's unsuccessful season led to the "loss" of Bryn, Beli, LMA, Lyles and "gain" of more minutes for Lonnie, Keldon, Poeltl, Vassell. Expect something similar for next year if these losses continue.

*I still expect some of these changes even if it was successful because it's natural progression for the young talent, and maybe they're just following a strict timeline right now.

By the way, if you're wanting an overhaul of the roster, you're following the wrong team. That's just not what the Spurs do. Not to you Kev, but to everybody.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-30-2021 at 07:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The story of this game is that the Kings would bring the ball up, take five seconds off the shot clock and score.

When the Spurs brought the ball the other way, the ball handler (DJ, Mills, White, DeMar) would look around for five seconds, pass the ball, post, and so forth until six seconds is left on the clock and then they'll shoot it. I don't know if the team was tired, but the pace was extremely slow. Or maybe it was intended that way to take the Kings out of rhythm, but in order to do that you have to play defense too...which they didn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs didn't run it back this year. If you're talking about a complete overhaul of the roster, sure. But the Spurs completely revamped their offense from last year and inserted three new players to get major minutes. Pop was quoted in the beginning of the year saying, "We weren't winning last year, so we had to change it up." I have no doubt if this becomes an unsuccessful season, that there will definitely be changes in store. At the very minimum, it will be inserting 2-3 "new" players into the rotation next year. I say "new" because they could be on the roster now, i.e. Vassell swallowing DeMar's minutes and/ or Luka swallowing Gay's. These are both major changes already, IMO. And not to mention if those two get a full off-season of work, who knows what they will add to their game?

Bottomline: last year's unsuccessful season led to the "loss" of Bryn, Beli, LMA, Lyles and "gain" of more minutes for Lonnie, Keldon, Poeltl, Vassell. Expect something similar for next year if these losses continue.

*I still expect some of these changes even if it was successful because it's natural progression for the young talent, and maybe they're just following a strict timeline right now.

By the way, if you're wanting an overhaul of the roster, you're following the wrong team. That's just not what the Spurs do. Not to you Kev, but to everybody.
    For me shedding Bryn/Marco and playing guys who should have already been getting minutes isn’t something I’d bring to my bonus discussion at year end with my bosses. Great job PATFO you corrected clear mistakes you never should have made to begin with. The revamped offense was a needed change and I applaud it but still needs the right people in it I feel. I really like our group of guys, young and old and appreciate how DDR now fits in many capacities. From a personnel standpoint we need to make some changes however. DDR, Gay and Patty can’t all be brought back unless it comes at a collective discount and we have added a new leading player. There is not one player on this current roster, young or old who is positioned to take us to the next level of being a solid playoff team. So with all our flexibility; cap space, draft capital and solid young talent I think now is the time to to take some risk and shake things up. Not an overhaul, work with what we have but the core needs to change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me shedding Bryn/Marco and playing guys who should have already been getting minutes isn’t something I’d bring to my bonus discussion at year end with my bosses. Great job PATFO you corrected clear mistakes you never should have made to begin with. The revamped offense was a needed change and I applaud it but still needs the right people in it I feel. I really like our group of guys, young and old and appreciate how DDR now fits in many capacities. From a personnel standpoint we need to make some changes however. DDR, Gay and Patty can’t all be brought back unless it comes at a collective discount and we have added a new leading player. There is not one player on this current roster, young or old who is positioned to take us to the next level of being a solid playoff team. So with all our flexibility; cap space, draft capital and solid young talent I think now is the time to to take some risk and shake things up. Not an overhaul, work with what we have but the core needs to change.
    I disagree, I feel Murray is right there. Scoring like what? 20 points in the first quarter? That's pretty special, IMO. It took him three years to get here, but he's looking like a true core piece.

Like I said: DDR, Gay, and Patty could all come back but with smaller roles and that would be a huge change. DDR, much less so but the other guys yeah.

Don't read what I'm not saying, it would be for sure nice to nab a core piece via trade or free agency but if you look at what's out there.... there's not much. Can't pull a rabbit out of a hat in free agency.

IMO, if we extend the same "patience" we had for Murray to the other young guys to take it to the next level, we could see another ascension.

If something comes available next year, then shake it up then. Don't shake it up for Lauri Markkanen. God, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are giving up on Gay/Mills and DDR, then you better have a plan on who you are going to make up all those points they give.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, I feel Murray is right there. Scoring like what? 20 points in the first quarter? That's pretty special, IMO. It took him three years to get here, but he's looking like a true core piece.

Like I said: DDR, Gay, and Patty could all come back but with smaller roles and that would be a huge change. DDR, much less so but the other guys yeah.

Don't read what I'm not saying, it would be for sure nice to nab a core piece via trade or free agency but if you look at what's out there.... there's not much. Can't pull a rabbit out of a hat in free agency.

IMO, if we extend the same "patience" we had for Murray to the other young guys to take it to the next level, we could see another ascension.

If something comes available next year, then shake it up then. Don't shake it up for Lauri Markkanen. God, no.
    I am much further down on Lauri than I was... I'm still not that impressed with Collins either (although he's well ahead of Lauri)... I still think we need to let the vets go. I know there's nobody worth paying big money to in FA but after watching Sacramento last night the two biggest differences I saw were 1) shooting and 2) toughness/aggression. Silva, Davis, Harkless etc all are just journeymen types but they all have a little 'Dawg' in their game.... I'd probably spend a little money on two or three of those types and try to fill the rest of my roster with shooters... I'd also do everything in my power to move up for Wagner if (as a staff) they feel like they can get him to a 38+% 3 point sniper.. if they can, with his playmaking ability, he's going to be special...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know when I said it, at least a week ago, but unfortunately the starting lineup has to change.

Poeltl
    Luka
    Demar
    Lonnie or D White (if he's willing to keep shooting 3s)
    Murray

Gotta have more shooters. You could also start Vassell instead of Luka or Lonnie/White, but bottom line, that starting lineup needs more shooters.

I'm sorry to say, but IMO Keldon can't start anymore if he's going to become a worse shooter than when he started the season. He's going to have to be an energy guy off the bench until he can learn to shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree. At this point in time I would actually use our MLE for something. If the Spurs agree to bring back DDR and Mills, which I think is that idea, and let Gay walk to a contender -we should be in a position to spend 18 to 25 mil , depending on Mills and DDR contract, plus a mle. That cap space will need to deal with Dieng, Weatherspoon, Diop and a rookie contract (which should replace Lyles).

If Spurs manage to get 10mil in cap space, I would target someone like McDermott and use part of the MLE on Portis.

Then you have a good, balance rotation. But most importantly, you have good contracts to make a splash on a bigger trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree with all of this. DJ is my favourite Spur since 03’ Stephen Jackson. He is just built different. Keldon is right there also. Their success comes with absolute hard work coupled with our development program and to me they are the only borderline untouchables. Asking them to become the next Kawhi is a big ask though. So if I am PATFO this is my focus. A core of DDR, Keldon and DJ is only a missing piece away of something special and we have all the resources to atleast try and acquire that piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean DDR leaving the team next year will fix a lot of issues. It means everybody gets to play in their natural position. Murray at the 1. Lonnie at the 2. KJ at 3 instead of 4. Luka at the 4 with real size and mobility. And begrudgingly Poeltl at the 5. Of course Pop won't start Luka next year but he should. White needs to be a bench player. Along with Dieng and Vassell. Then just get filler players and see what happens.

And just say NO to Mills and Rudy Gay. Not even for the min those ing chuckers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know when I said it, at least a week ago, but unfortunately the starting lineup has to change.

Poeltl
    Luka
    Demar
    Lonnie or D White (if he's willing to keep shooting 3s)
    Murray

Gotta have more shooters. You could also start Vassell instead of Luka or Lonnie/White, but bottom line, that starting lineup needs more shooters.

I'm sorry to say, but IMO Keldon can't start anymore if he's going to become a worse shooter than when he started the season. He's going to have to be an energy guy off the bench until he can learn to shoot.
    Agree. Luka needs to start over Keldon. I love Keldon’s energy but his reluctance and inconsistency in hurling the 3 is hurting the team. He’s perfect as a Manu role. Or Vassell on SF and Demar to PF. Either way Pop needs to insert a shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That’s one way to look at it. The other way is that a team that missed the playoffs did absolutely nothing other than add a rookie to the roster they already possessed. That’s a fact. Changing rotations is fine and true but they stood pat.

Sometimes that’s ok. Like when you have Duncan. Most times with a team like SA, it’s not ok if your real goal is to be seriously competing for playoffs.

I’m happy with letting guys walk and changing rotations; I’m fine not making playoffs if that’s the case. But you can’t sit there and defend what is an obvious and straightforward take. They did nothing to change their roster heading into season

Thread Information