My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

S&T DeMar and Lonnie for Kat
    Minnesota drafts a big

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I've really enjoyed playing with him, over the last, however many months that we've been in here," said Mills. "So now we got the opportunity to play with each other. And I think there's a connection there just with the type of our game, I think they compliment each other really well."
    Said Mills: "So looking forward for that on-court relationship to grow over the next few games as well."

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/i...-of-confidence

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the is Patty on about? Is Tre expected to get more minutes in the next few games? Pop finally going to experiment with rotations?

Murray/ Tre
    White/ Mills
    DeMar/ Vassell
    Keldon/ Gay
    Poeltl/ Dieng

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many front office mistakes, such a predictable outcome for the season. This is a team that operates in an alternative reality.

We have a team full of flawed role players. The only one I have any particular hope for is Vassell. Maybe in three years he’ll actually get some playing time?

Maybe this off-season the front office will finally do what they should have done three years ago and move forward with a rebuilding plan that every competent front office of a small market team follows: find stars in the draft via lottery picks, find competent role players through free agency/trades. I have no faith they will do anything of the sort

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin Vassell

With Haliburton stealing the show, Vassell wasn’t able to capture much of the limelight. He had a handful of heady plays on defense but he was too willing to stand around in the corners on offense. When he had opportunities to take matters into his own hands, Vassell deferred.

Grade: C+.
    I thought Vassell was a little better than that. He hit a couple corner threes, even visibly calling for the ball on one. He also put the ball on the floor a couple of times, scoring in the paint on a floater if I remember correctly.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I've really enjoyed playing with him, over the last, however many months that we've been in here," said Mills. "So now we got the opportunity to play with each other. And I think there's a connection there just with the type of our game, I think they compliment each other really well."
    Said Mills: "So looking forward for that on-court relationship to grow over the next few games as well."

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/i...-of-confidence

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the is Patty on about? Is Tre expected to get more minutes in the next few games? Pop finally going to experiment with rotations?

Murray/ Tre
    White/ Mills
    DeMar/ Vassell
    Keldon/ Gay
    Poeltl/ Dieng
    That would be interesting. They definitely need the playmaking but I shudder to think of a lineup with Tre and Patty out there at the same time, though I'm sure Patty would love for someone to pass him the ball so he can keep chucking.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many front office mistakes, such a predictable outcome for the season. This is a team that operates in an alternative reality.

We have a team full of flawed role players. The only one I have any particular hope for is Vassell. Maybe in three years he’ll actually get some playing time?

Maybe this off-season the front office will finally do what they should have done three years ago and move forward with a rebuilding plan that every competent front office of a small market team follows: find stars in the draft via lottery picks, find competent role players through free agency/trades. I have no faith they will do anything of the sort
    The problem is they think they already have a star and don't want to trade DDR as of yet.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    F- for Pop, where is Luka?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the offensive boards in this losing streak, lack of offense, and all round weak defense is a recipe for the freefall we're seeing. A lot to work on. Thanks for the grades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop would prefer to keep pounding a square peg into a round hole
    Sums up the game, and most of the season, pretty much tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Minnesota drafts a big
    I would be all over this, but fear Minny will ask for way too much (and with some reason, considering the calibre of player KAT is offensively). I'm guessing it would take at least DeMar, Lonnie, and two FRP to pique MIN's interest, and I'm not sure about that... Though it's one of those deals where, if the opportunity arises, you just have to do it. A starting lineup of Dejounte-Vassell-Keldon-Luka-Towns does sound interesting...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri benched and his reaction to it:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Minnesota drafts a big
    I think Minnesota is making the internal decision to build around Edwards. They shouldn't have any interest in DDR. My guess is the starting point for discussion is Poeltl, White, and a few 1sts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Minnesota is making the internal decision to build around Edwards. They shouldn't have any interest in DDR. My guess is the starting point for discussion is Poeltl, White, and a few 1sts.
    When (if?) Towns eventually asks out, which is on track to happen probably after next season (this season was lost with what happened to him personally, Russell's injury and Beasley's suspension, but next season Edwards and McDaniels will have had an off season to improve and they should have a starting four in place) late 20s role players won't be the centerpiece of the package and it's unlikely he'll be traded within' conference period.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the best thing to do now would be to start Luka, and I've never been a big Luka booster at all.

BUT I think the team would get a pop with him starting because 1. he's not been shy about shooting 3s, and 2. he hasn't been scouted at all. Maybe after 10 or 15 games the league would have a handle on him and it would be back to the currently bad Spurs team, but for about 10 games or so I'm sure there'd be an upswing on the Spurs.

Same thing happened with Keldon as far as getting a big role/starting. In the bubble and the early part of this season, teams didn't know what he could do and weren't prepared. He was able to excel. He shot 63% in the bubble and is down to 47% now. Teams have figured out that he's just going to barrel towards the rim.

And of course, Luka or anyone else just might fit better. Johnson still isn't great at finding his way in the offense or moving without the ball to get opportunities, I feel like I see him being directed on the court all the time. And in a starting lineup where the ballhandlers like to to dribble around and survey everything, that's hard on Keldon. Luka I think would benefit from moving and getting to a spot to shoot or cutting, rather than waiting to get the ball so he could drive.

Luka isn't really a better shooter than Keldon, and I've long been dubious of his supposed 3-point shooting skills, but at least he puts the shots up (7.7 attempts /100 vs 4.4/100 for Keldon).

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Poeltl would have to be part of any package for KAT. It's hard to get an All-NBA level talent without sending back a replacement starter, and KAT would eat most of the minutes at C anyway.

I don't buy the whole "loser mentality" or "soft" stuff with KAT either. AD had very little playoff success in New Orleans but is a legit superstar. Pau Gasol didn't win a single playoff game with Memphis and was Finals MVP level with the Lakers. If it takes Poeltl + White + two 1sts to land KAT I'm all for it.

Minnesota can doubtless get a better deal, though. I'd be willing to give up more, but I'm not sure how much more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Poeltl would have to be part of any package for KAT. It's hard to get an All-NBA level talent without sending back a replacement starter, and KAT would eat most of the minutes at C anyway.

I don't buy the whole "loser mentality" or "soft" stuff with KAT either. AD had very little playoff success in New Orleans but is a legit superstar. Pau Gasol didn't win a single playoff game with Memphis and was Finals MVP level with the Lakers. If it takes Poeltl + White + two 1sts to land KAT I'm all for it.

Minnesota can doubtless get a better deal, though. I'd be willing to give up more, but I'm not sure how much more.
    I agree that the odds of us getting him are pretty low because there will be alot of other offers. I think he's a real talent and would fit great from an on court point of view though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you ask me I would start Lonnie for Keldon. Still not ideal, but should give us better spacing. I‘d also love for Luka to start at the 4 but we all know that won’t happen this season
    i don't know what the it's gonna take to get luka out there. it kills me that he's just wasting away on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Towns in available, you keep DDR. That would be a clear better choice moving forward. But i don't think Spurs could match salary. White and Poeltl plus two 1st.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Minnesota drafts a big
    OKC will just offer them 4 first round picks and they will say yes. They got 17, so 4 ain't nothing. They could offer 10 if they wanted to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte/ Tre
    White/ Mills/ Lonnie/ Cam
    DeMar/ Vassell/ KBD
    Keldon/ Gay/ Luka/ Lyles
    Poeltl/ Dieng/ Eubanks

If Tre is truly transitioning to a bigger role for the rest of the season, that will be interesting as far as what changes are in store this off-season.

I realize that they may be trying this because Lonnie is out, but if this is a permanent change then..

Mills primarily as the SG means no space for Lonnie when he comes back. That is a very crowded backcourt. To me, this definitely means Mills is gone this off-season... Unless Lonnie is packaged for a trade. I think the former is more likely.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean DDR leaving the team next year will fix a lot of issues. It means everybody gets to play in their natural position. Murray at the 1. Lonnie at the 2. KJ at 3 instead of 4. Luka at the 4 with real size and mobility. And begrudgingly Poeltl at the 5. Of course Pop won't start Luka next year but he should. White needs to be a bench player. Along with Dieng and Vassell. Then just get filler players and see what happens.

And just say NO to Mills and Rudy Gay. Not even for the min those ing chuckers.
    Yeah, I think White may have to go to the bench if he can't start being more effective in the starting lineup without the ball, might need to make him the 6th man.

Mills, I have no idea why the Spurs like him so much. EricB seems to imply that he is untouchable and I just can't get over that there isn't much chance they let him go. I just hope no other team offers a decent amount of money and the Spurs match it. Being a great guy shouldn't make you untouchable and en led to a load of money. If so, a lot of other people around the world should be getting paid a lot more money and being kept on by organizations throughout the world rather than let go due to performance reasons. It shouldn't be based on performance, should it? I mean, it's not like Mills hasn't been average/ 3 of the last 4 years, has he? It's not like he's playing his best ball in a contract year, is he? ing ridiculous if the Spurs get fooled by this again and overspend.

Agree. Luka needs to start over Keldon. I love Keldon’s energy but his reluctance and inconsistency in hurling the 3 is hurting the team. He’s perfect as a Manu role. Or Vassell on SF and Demar to PF. Either way Pop needs to insert a shooter.
    I agree with this completely. That starting lineup needs at least one more shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We almost traded Patty for Josh Richardson in the offseason, so I wouldn’t say he’s untouchable. I still think they will bring him back though. He’s Pop’s pet

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s one way to look at it. The other way is that a team that missed the playoffs did absolutely nothing other than add a rookie to the roster they already possessed. That’s a fact. Changing rotations is fine and true but they stood pat.

Sometimes that’s ok. Like when you have Duncan. Most times with a team like SA, it’s not ok if your real goal is to be seriously competing for playoffs.

I’m happy with letting guys walk and changing rotations; I’m fine not making playoffs if that’s the case. But you can’t sit there and defend what is an obvious and straightforward take. They did nothing to change their roster heading into season
    When you're right there with a very young team that arguably needed just a bit of seasoning not moving improving assets for declining ones makes some sense. So I get not making a bunch of moves but would have liked to pick up a late peak tough minded vet with the mid-level. Not a guy to be a star but a guy to go trenches with, a george hill, jaylen brown type preferably at the combo forward or power forward spot. But a long term vet who is starter quality but arguably loosing that due to age. Of course you also have to gauge the market. If a all-star is available in your budget go for it, but change just for change makes little little improvement it killed slot if Dirks prime years. A a young team growing and maturing together is a very very good thing
    Last edited by Gagnrath; 03-31-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We almost traded Patty for Josh Richardson in the offseason, so I wouldn’t say he’s untouchable. I still think they will bring him back though. He’s Pop’s pet
    Patty was coming off of two really average/bad seasons, so I could see the FO entertaining trades during the off-season. Pop now seems to think he's been playing like 6th man of the year this season (I disagree). I think in Pop's mind, he's now untouchable.

How close was the Josh Richardson trade? I had no idea they nearly traded him. I would have loved it if they were able to move on from him before this season even started .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you're right there with a very young team that arguably needed just a bit of seasoning not moving improving assets for declining ones makes some sense. So I get not making a bunch of moves but would have liked to pick up a late peak tough minded vet with the mid-level. Not a guy to be a star but a guy to go trenches with, a george hill, jaylen brown type preferably at the combo forward or power forward spot. But a long term vet who is starter quality but arguably loosing that due to age. Of course you also have to gauge the market. If a all-star is available in your budget go for it, but change just for change makes little little improvement it killed slot if Dirks prime years. A a young team growing and maturing together is a very very good thing
    Sure - all that can be true and it also be true that you don’t need to spin the team standing pat. Literally drafting in your assigned spot and adding no one else is standing pat is the point. Saying otherwise is just odd.

Thread Information