My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 29 games this year DD has attempted 2 or less treys.
    In the 8 games he launched 3 or more, all but 1 game he shot 33% or better.

3-4
    0-4
    3-4
    2-6
    1-3
    1-3
    1-3
    1-3

12-30 = 40%

What would happen if DD was ordered to average at least 3 treys a game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 29 games this year DD has attempted 2 or less treys.
    In the 8 games he launched 3 or more, all but 1 game he shot 33% or better.

3-4
    0-4
    3-4
    2-6
    1-3
    1-3
    1-3
    1-3

12-30 = 40%

What would happen if DD was ordered to average at least 3 treys a game?
    A mental breakdown tbh. I like your thought process though. It’s puzzling he hasn’t made this a point of development over the lat 3-4 years. He seems capable and is a pretty determined and hard working guy. I truthfully just don’t get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's hard to understand. I guess, he is so used to playing a certain way, it's hard for him to change his game.
    Ironically, more 3's would open up his mid-range and driving game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually don't think he's a bad 3 point shooter. My guess is that he hates taking shots that doesn't have a high percentage of going in, which is why most of his shots are around the rim nowadays.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same issue with LMA. It sounds like he didn't want to adjust either, though he was actually a good outsider shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horked this off the DJ thread:
    "He'll turn down threes from time to time and I’ve got to go to him and let him know that the worst thing that can happen is it doesn’t go in. You know, your family still loves you and you still get a paycheck."
    Didn't Pop use that line with Danny Green as well a couple of years ago?
    FFS does Pop tell this to Derozan?
    Obviously not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horked this off the DJ thread:

FFS does Pop tell this to Derozan?
    Obviously not.
    It would devastate DePression to hear criticism. He'd prolly go straight back to the Jack in the Box parking lot and contemplate the viability of suicide.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not in the waters of the riverwalk he won't be

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really is disgusting watching this guy catch the ball at the line and hesitate and allow the defense to recover because he's terrified of shooting a 3 for some reason. And when he does he steps on the ing line 90% of the time. It has to be a subliminal thing at this point. I've never seen anyone so scared of shooting a 3 pointer in my life

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get Pop sometimes... he's quick tempered-- to a fault I would say-- and often has the persona of a drill sergeant, but then he has these moments of oh golly gee, I try to get these guys to shoot more threes and they just won't do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get Pop sometimes... he's quick tempered-- to a fault I would say-- and often has the persona of a drill sergeant, but then he has these moments of oh golly gee, I try to get these guys to shoot more threes and they just won't do it.
    I read it as him playing it off like the guys just don't listen to him, when in reality his system isn't built around taking three-point shots and (let's be honest) it's not really one of the team's strengths.

If it was as simple as telling DeRozan or Murray "just take 5+ threes a game"...it could probably happen, but I don't think the team would be better off if it is not something they are comfortable doing, and especially if the team isn't working to actually make those quality shots.

But I probably tend to read too much into things sometimes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say let's take it easy on DeRozan. In reality he's only had one Corona-less season in San Antonio. I think a 4 year Max extension is just what he needs to get his groove. So I'm confident he'll provide a stable 3pt threat by year 3 of the extension.

I'll project one attempt every other game building up to anywhere from 10-50 makes by the end of it. Remember the hitting the stone parable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'll project one attempt every other game building up to anywhere from 10-50 makes by the end of it. Remember the hitting the stone parable.
    If you hit the stone once every other game, it would take like a thousand years to break it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the 3 point line was about 3 inches further in, DDR would have had 3 or 4 the last couple of games. He's been stretching his range out a bit lately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read it as him playing it off like the guys just don't listen to him, when in reality his system isn't built around taking three-point shots and (let's be honest) it's not really one of the team's strengths.

If it was as simple as telling DeRozan or Murray "just take 5+ threes a game"...it could probably happen, but I don't think the team would be better off if it is not something they are comfortable doing, and especially if the team isn't working to actually make those quality shots.

But I probably tend to read too much into things sometimes.
    If 11 million a year coach can't convince highest paid / highest usage SG/SF player on team to shoot more 3's, it's a problem. With what should be an easy solution.

Frankly they should be shooting threes because it's the right play, not because they could get paid to do it. But that's just my opinion...
    Not sure why DJ Murray is $$ incentivized to shoot treys but Derozan is not.
    Another gapping lapse in PATFO 2017 - onward?

Link:
    Incentivized contracts of Spurs (spurstalk.com)

Of all the things that motivate modern day NBA player, isn't increased cash still at or near the top?

Thread Information