My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A month which saw multiple mass shootings -- including high-profile murders in Georgia and Colorado -- also featured a record number of FBI-conducted background checks for firearm purchases, complicating the narrative at a time Democrats are trying to push new gun control legislation.

Background checks in March were up 36% from February, as around 4.7 million were initiated, FBI data shows, according to CNN.

The number of checks do not equal the number of guns purchased, but they do tend to correlate with the volume of sales. Gun sales have historically trended higher as safety fears gripped America or when citizens anticipated upcoming gun control measures.

Atlanta, Georgia, and Boulder, Colorado, shootings left more than a dozen people dead and coincided with a pair of Democrat-sponsored gun-control bills passing the House. Also, COVID-19 impact payments went out to more than 125 million Americans, giving extra spending money to facilitate some of the gun purchases, CNN reported.

One House Democrat bill expands background checks to all gun sales and transfers, which is expected to face Republican opposition in the Senate, which is split 50-50 and still has a legislative filibuster that would require at least 10 GOP votes to reach the 60-vote threshold needed for passage.

President Joe Biden came forward publicly to support new gun-control legislation after the March 22 grocery store shooting in Boulder that killed 10, including a police officer.

Republicans note violent criminals, particularly mass shooters, do not typically abide by laws, so adding new gun laws do nothing except restrict law-abiding Americans.

Gun sales had slowed in February after a January surge. March and January of this year are the only two months in which background checks exceeded 4 million, according to the report.

The COVID-19 pandemic, race riots, and the impending turnover from former President Donald Trump's administration -- which was a strong backer of the Second Amendment -- made 2020 a record year for gun purchases, according to CNN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep try to take them already donkeys and you will leave dc for good !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1.36 million new gun owners

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats good for American gun sales/business! But only because rubes are easily fooled that the government will take their guns.

Trump was bad for gun sales; plus he outlawed bump-stocks. He almost killed the gun business. So bad that stripped lower receivers for AR15s (e.g., from PSA) were $39.99.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dems good for the economy... gonna probably save the NRA as well...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gonna probably save the NRA as well...
    Idk, LaPierre has done a pretty good job of destroying it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish people would stop buying them, ing ammo is ridiculous.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You think all this funny money floating around is good for the economy? With 2 trillion more on the way?

Just wait till a loaf of bread is $15

But I hope I'm wrong.

Dems good for the economy... gonna probably save the NRA as well...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think all this funny money floating around is good for the economy? With 2 trillion more on the way?

Just wait till a loaf of bread is $15

But I hope I'm wrong.
    Unlike the previous tax cuts which were not offset by any spending cuts, at least this package also raises the corporate tax rate (from 21% to 28%) + stiffens minimum taxes on overseas corps.

We could discuss if hiking taxes on corps is a good or bad strategy (corporate taxes have not been this low since the 1930's), but if there's one party being fiscally responsible here, that's this administration.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Considering all the spending they are doing, they probably should have raised it to 35%, tbqh.

Unlike the previous tax cuts which were not offset by any spending cuts, at least this package also raises the corporate tax rate (from 21% to 28%) + stiffens minimum taxes on overseas corps.

We could discuss if hiking taxes on corps is a good or bad strategy (corporate taxes have not been this low since the 1930's), but if there's one party being fiscally responsible here, that's this administration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering all the spending they are doing, they probably should have raised it to 35%, tbqh.
    need joe's face in this one, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You posted trash, I replied. Stop posting, stop getting replies... real easy, tbh

Thread Information