Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl getting on by athletic centers as per usual. Getting Nic Claxton flashbacks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl sucking balls tonight

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, my turn:

You can't be married, right? Your wife must be a dumb too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capela ting all over Poeltl
    And the sad thing is, these are just simple lobs, one of the best plays in basketball - really hard to anticipate and defend, whilst also easy enough to execute provided you have players on the team with vertical ability. We do have players on the team with that ability - why the aren't we running some alley oops here and there? Is there a statistic on this? I'm pretty sure SanAn has to be one of, if not the, team with the least alley-oops in the entire league..... Pop hates fun, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol this ing team passing up wide open shots so poeltl can brick FTs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy at Poeltl free throw motion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1:59 - 2nd
    1 2 3 4 T
    ATL 32 20 52
    SA 22 20 42

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poetle will not hit two FTs in his entire Spurs career

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a good mix of young guys on the team now. Whoever was excited about any of our young guys can now see White starting, DJ starting, Keldon starting, Vassell getting regular minutes, and so on. Yes, it's far from perfect, but it's not like this is a vet-only team. I'm not "blaming" anyone, I could care less what other people do with their time, but there's no arguing that any "fan" who only watches the team when it has a chance of winning a championship or close to it, then stops watching when the team starts struggling, is fair weather by definition, and thus not a real "fan" IMO. Just that.

You'd be wrong on that statement - the kinds of teams you describe are mostly on the lottery and hardly get many views. How many people are regularly tuning on to watch the Kings' tanking job? Or the Wolves? The Knicks are pretty much the exception (well, before this year where they've fielded out an actually good team) with having historically bad teams, yet mantaining good viewership numbers, but it's only due to them being maybe the largest market in the NBA. The reality is that very few fans would tune in to Spurs' games if they shipped out every vet off the team and won 20 games a season, as much as you'd like to believe otherwise. There's destinies worse than mediocrity for small market teams...
    Apples and oranges...the teams you refer too (Kings and Wolves) are perpetually bad. Nobody is suggesting we go on a 20 year tank job. Actually I'm not necessarily even suggesting a tank job at all... I'm saying pick a direction that offers hope...we could trade young guys and picks for win now players and that would offer hope... trading vets and even a couple younger guys for draft picks offers hope too (if we wanted to choose that directon).... where is the hope with DDR, Rudy Gay and Patty? Can you honestly say this make up is compelling in any way? You know, I know, and everyone here knows this team isn't getting out of round one IF they can squeak in by winning the play-in....IF they can even hold on to a top 10 seed. That's not interesting....and its not nearly as interesting as the prospect of drafting a Mobley, Kuminga, Cunningham etc...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DePression heroballing

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass the ing ball ffs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan dribbled into 4 people and then tried to shoot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the sad thing is, these are just simple lobs, one of the best plays in basketball - really hard to anticipate and defend, whilst also easy enough to execute provided you have players on the team with vertical ability. We do have players on the team with that ability - why the aren't we running some alley oops here and there? Is there a statistic on this? I'm pretty sure SanAn has to be one of, if not the, team with the least alley-oops in the entire league..... Pop hates fun, tbh
    None of their players know how to throw an accurate lob tbh. Plus yeah, Pop discourages dunking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Halftime
    1 2 3 4 T
    ATL 32 22 54
    SA 22 26 48
    TIME TEAM PLAY SCORE
    0.0 End of the 2nd Quarter 54 - 48
    0.4 Spurs offensive team rebound 54 - 48
    0.4 Clint Capela blocks DeMar DeRozan's pullup jump shot 54 - 48
    6.2 DeMar DeRozan defensive rebound 54 - 48
    8.8 Lou Williams misses 12-foot two point shot 54 - 48
    30.6 Jakob Poeltl makes two point shot 54 - 48
    30.6 Jakob Poeltl offensive rebound 54 - 46
    34.5 DeMar DeRozan misses 16-foot pullup jump shot 54 - 46
    42.4 Bogdan Bogdanovic makes 5-foot hook shot 54 - 46
    56.9 Clint Capela defensive rebound 52 - 46
    59.8 DeMar DeRozan misses 11-foot pullup jump shot 52 - 46
    1:11 Lou Williams enters the game for Trae Young 52 - 46
    1:11 Trae Young turnover 52 - 46
    1:11 Trae Young offensive foul 52 - 46
    1:25 DeMar DeRozan makes 2-foot dunk (Jakob Poeltl assists) 52 - 46

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would literally take back both Leonard and Danny Green for DeRozan and Poetle right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate DePressionball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apples and oranges...the teams you refer too (Kings and Wolves) are perpetually bad. Nobody is suggesting we go on a 20 year tank job. Actually I'm not necessarily even suggesting a tank job at all... I'm saying pick a direction that offers hope...we could trade young guys and picks for win now players and that would offer hope... trading vets and even a couple younger guys for draft picks offers hope too (if we wanted to choose that directon).... where is the hope with DDR, Rudy Gay and Patty? Can you honestly say this make up is compelling in any way? You know, I know, and everyone here knows this team isn't getting out of round one IF they can squeak in by winning the play-in....IF they can even hold on to a top 10 seed. That's not interesting....and its not nearly as interesting as the prospect of drafting a Mobley, Kuminga, Cunningham etc...
    Uh, do you think the Wolves and Kings thought they'd be 20-years-tanking when they started going that route? That's exactly the harsh reality of tanking - you don't know when and if you'll strike gold, and you have to absolutely suck until you do, because anything other than sucking gets you farther away from the top of the lottery. The Spurs could perfectly end up having to tank out multiple seasons until they find "that" cornerstone player - and I ask you again, do you seriously think viewership numbers will be better once the team chooses that direction? I dare say, no. Hope is good and all for hardcore fans, but most people following a team casually don't give a that the Spurs got a 2023 FRP out of trading DeMar or whatever scenario you're envisioning; all they care about is that the Spurs suck, today, so they ain't tuning into any games. Can the argument be made that the Spurs "suck" today too? Sure, but it's unarguably a more entertaining product than if they "chose a direction" and bottomed out.

I'm not against the team tanking if that's what it takes. I know full well that we lack that Doncic-level player that wills you through series by himself. That's not the argument though.... The argument is that a mediocre team is unarguably more fun to watch than a tanking one, and that if/when the Spurs get past the "Pop era" and maybe embrace a tank, they'll have even fewer viewers than today - especially from a fandom as spoiled as the Spurs'. You can see it even on this very forum tbh - and I'd consider anyone consistently posting on SpursTalk a "hardcore fan" by definition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would literally take back both Leonard and Danny Green for DeRozan and Poetle right now
    Pretty sure the Spurs would, too... Remember the whole thing was started by Nephew not wanting to be in SA anymore? Not like that was ever a choice, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody else seeing this ing accountant give jr NBA bball tips?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if serious. There isn't a mouth breather on the riverwalk that wouldn't do that deal in a heartbeat

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills might as well put on a Hawks jersey tonight. Is DJ injured? Why didn't he close the half?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of their players know how to throw an accurate lob tbh. Plus yeah, Pop discourages dunking.
    It's been a consistent problem for some time, now, and one of the many reasons I wanted to take Haliburton in the draft. And it's not only lobs that they can't throw - you seldom see White attempting floaters, and neither does Dejounte. DeMar is by far the player in the team with the most attempts on that sort of shots; on the one hand, it makes sense, since they're really difficult shots that require a very good feel to throw accurately and consistently. On the other, it paints a very bad picture on our guards that a rookie can perform shots and passes that they still can't get down after multiple years in the league. That first game against the Kings on Monday was a full display of what "natural feel for the game" is all about, tbqh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills might as well put on a Hawks jersey tonight. Is DJ injured? Why didn't he close the half?
    Still livid of fake fans?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poodle is getting worked by Capela... but at least he's scoring some on the other end

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, do you think the Wolves and Kings thought they'd be 20-years-tanking when they started going that route? That's exactly the harsh reality of tanking - you don't know when and if you'll strike gold, and you have to absolutely suck until you do, because anything other than sucking gets you farther away from the top of the lottery. The Spurs could perfectly end up having to tank out multiple seasons until they find "that" cornerstone player - and I ask you again, do you seriously think viewership numbers will be better once the team chooses that direction? I dare say, no. Hope is good and all for hardcore fans, but most people following a team casually don't give a that the Spurs got a 2023 FRP out of trading DeMar or whatever scenario you're envisioning; all they care about is that the Spurs suck, today, so they ain't tuning into any games. Can the argument be made that the Spurs "suck" today too? Sure, but it's unarguably a more entertaining product than if they "chose a direction" and bottomed out.

I'm not against the team tanking if that's what it takes. I know full well that we lack that Doncic-level player that wills you through series by himself. That's not the argument though.... The argument is that a mediocre team is unarguably more fun to watch than a tanking one, and that if/when the Spurs get past the "Pop era" and maybe embrace a tank, they'll have even fewer viewers than today - especially from a fandom as spoiled as the Spurs'. You can see it even on this very forum tbh - and I'd consider anyone consistently posting on SpursTalk a "hardcore fan" by definition.
    People casually following any team only do it for two reasons 1) they're winning (so that disqualifies us) and 2) they're following an iconic big market team that generates its on fame (again that's not us).

Could we have a prolonged tank like the Kings? It's possible...there's risk... but the one thing this FO has done well is draft, so why not use the one thing we're good at to improve?

Looking at your last paragraph.."The argument is that a mediocre team is unarguably more fun to watch than a tanking one, and that if/when the Spurs get past the "Pop era" and maybe embrace a tank, they'll have even fewer viewers than today - especially from a fandom as spoiled as the Spurs'"...... Do you really think this mediocre team is more enjoyable to watch than a Spurs team that had traded the 3 vets and were playing DJ, White, Luka, KJ, Poeltl, Vassell, Tre Jones? I don't think it is because the young guys bring more energy and the drafts picks give us something interesting to talk about and debate...something to look forward too....

Thread Information