Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Thoughts?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's right...

This should have happened last year. Writing been on the wall for awhile.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Original tweet:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thoughts?
    He just telling the truth...it's self evident at this point..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. What's the point of being in basketball purgatory? Not good enough to be a playoff team, not bad enough to get a top pick. There's absolutely no hope or faith there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Pop’s coaching wins

We’re being held captive by some old man’s ego. My dude is Kobe’ing us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is fair criticism but we have decent talent and a ridiculous amount of cap space. Lots of possible sign and trade deals for our vets are possibilities. Let’s see what they do this off-season. I still say maintaining the locker room is most important when developing young guys and that would be very hard to do if you are trying to lose/tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is fair criticism but we have decent talent and a ridiculous amount of cap space. Lots of possible sign and trade deals for our vets are possibilities. Let’s see what they do this off-season. I still say maintaining the locker room is most important when developing young guys and that would be very hard to do if you are trying to lose/tank.
    It’s also difficult to get any talent when you’re a small market treadmill team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By “blowing it up” the spurs would actually have more wins right now with out eRozan mills and Gay

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although I don’t disagree, it was a matter of a few weeks ago that these analysts were singing the Spurs praises in the power rankings. It’s pretty easy to say “they should have blown it up” right now. What an against the stream thinker that Kevin O’Connor is, boy...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s also difficult to get any talent when you’re a small market treadmill team.
    Yep which is why Spurs have to show they keep their word when recruiting veteran free agents. Every team says to the these guys "Don't worry, you are an important part and you will play an important role on our team". Spurs have shown that and they have a good reputation among these types of veterans (like Dieng). Nothing you can do about being a small market but undoubtedly SA can only get better as the times go. Not only is SA growing along with Texas in general it will soon merge with Austin and become the Powerhouse market of the state possibly. LOL but that is like 5-10 years down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ehhhh overreaction. sport writers are sport writers no different from the people here on spurstalk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although I don’t disagree, it was a matter of a few weeks ago that these analysts were singing the Spurs praises in the power rankings. It’s pretty easy to say “they should have blown it up” right now. What an against the stream thinker that Kevin O’Connor is, boy...
    Exactly. And if by some miracle the Spurs were to right the ship, the "experts" will all reverse course again.

But I do think Pop's overreliance on the veterans is beginning to hurt us. The future is not those guys, and the present really isn't either. I like Gay, and DDR, and Patty, but it's time to move on from all three. Patty is the only one you probably keep, but you hope Pop can use him more in a veteran Steve Kerr role, and not as some sort of sad Manu replacement. Patty playing big hero-ball minutes is cringe-worthy stuff.

I was on the Demar resign bandwagon, but that's only if the Spurs are a team capable of battling for a top 4 seed. Use those dollars for players who can help us long term if we're getting locked into a 7 thru 12 spot the next couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By “blowing it up” the spurs would actually have more wins right now with out eRozan mills and Gay
    True. I don't know how we could lose worse than how we have these past few games. The team is "blowing up" already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The nice thing is that the Spurs probably aren't any worse if they can find some outside shooting and get some decent defenders. Our three vets are probably the team's worst three defenders, and so going to them down the stretch of games only hurts us.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, this was obvious two years ago. Now watch the front office give Derozan a contract in the offseason

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - POP is the one to be blamed. The game has passed him over.
    - Teams know now how to play us and Pop just don't have any counters.
    - Plus, we just don't catch & shoot. Seems like every play is designed to drive and kick for 19.5 seconds. After that, one of the slashers do something cringy to score or pass to a desperate 3 or a desperate Poeltl floater.
    - We have enough talent to win injured teams like Atlanta, Indiana and the Clippers.
    - The problem is not enough talent, it's insufficient coaching and adequate rotations.
    - Pop don't stick with the players that are showing better production. He only play from his book.
    - I've been saying that Pop is the main reason we are not playing well and the major reason Timmy is no longer there helping the team.

- Maybe Aldridge is not 100% wrong for asking to leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The nice thing is that the Spurs probably aren't any worse if they can find some outside shooting and get some decent defenders. Our three vets are probably the team's worst three defenders, and so going to them down the stretch of games only hurts us.
    At least 2 out of 3 of those vets should be gone next season, otherwise I may be switching to the dark side when it comes to PATFO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We win by losing compe ively. I'd like close games, but I'd also like to lose them to get good draft picks.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1. I would add that playing DDR, LMA, Forbes, and Belinelli was playing to lose in my opinion, but the coach was too blind to see it. Things are somewhat better this year, but that's coming from a horrendous starting point. I thought that after Nephew bailed, we should have traded LMA. He probably would have been ok with it. Then when LMA and DDR failed horribly together, as expected, they kept trying to keep them together. It's been one lost opportunity after another. Granted, O'Connor is always pro-tank. We may not be "tanking" now, but we sure as are losing. With veterans leading the team too often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least 2 out of 3 of those vets should be gone next season, otherwise I may be switching to the dark side when it comes to PATFO.
    I'm right there with you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually the team should of been blown up the summer of Kawhi. Should of taken the best deal from leveraging the Lakers, Clips, and 76ers, and gotten a boatload of picks and young players. Likewise should of traded Aldredge and Green separately that summer as well as they had value as well. After three years of sucking, instead of two, we would have a nice future with a roster of young talented players.

Never should of traded for Derozan. Should've moved Aldredge last summer at the latest. And most recently cut Mills, Gary, and Derozan lose and let them catch on with a contender. We're in this mess because of the decisions of two men.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Actually the team should of been blown up the summer of Kawhi. Should of taken the best deal from leveraging the Lakers, Clips, and 76ers, and gotten a boatload of picks and young players. Likewise should of traded Aldredge and Green separately that summer as well as they had value as well. After three years of sucking, instead of two, we would have a nice future with a roster of young talented players.

Never should of traded for Derozan. Should've moved Aldredge last summer at the latest. And most recently cut Mills, Gary, and Derozan lose and let them catch on with a contender. We're in this mess because of the decisions of two men.
    I was told downstairs a package featuring Brandon Ingram wasn't good enough. Right now BI >> DeRozan. Pop's purple and gold hatred got the best of him IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lest we forget,

Nephew was purposely doing a sabotage of his health situation the entire 2017-2018 season. He was going to opt out of the 2019-2020 season which would result in a one year rental for a guy who could/would only play 60 games out of 82. The teams around the league were NOT offering a great packages with multiple #1 draft picks along with a quality player. Other teams were not going to offer a primo package for a POSSIBLE health risk.

Hindsight (3 Years later) it's pretty clear #2 was never seriously injured - just a semi-chronic case of tendonitis. Never really injured outside of the sprained ankle which healed over the summer of 2017. The Spurs contention that he was never seriously compromised physically seems to be the correct diagnosis. This guy is playing 40 minutes for the Clippers in the regular season which he would not do very often (if at all) in San Antonio.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 04-05-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Thread Information