Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blah blah blah.

I'm done with you, man. I didn't say anything about R.J. Barrett or care to mention that part of the video (it has absolutely no baring on the discussion), but somehow you swing that posting to being about him.

O'Connor's comments about Zion are the only things dealing with our discussion, homie.

It is about Zion, his lackadaisical effort on the glass and defense. Ignoring his obvious flaws and poor team record cause he's "just a rookie."

No. 2 picks don't matter now? So, I guess Kevin Durant doesn't matter or Ja Morant for that matter....

Nah, you've got the dumb ass take my man.
    Legit only TWO rookies in the past 35 years have been great at defense. That just takes time. And both of them were 23/24 when they came in to the league. Yeah Zion has weaknesses. Duh. He’s also not a great 3 point shooter. But when you have a 20 year old putting up numbers that has never been put up (in a positive way) in league history, well you have a franchise player. NO will start winning. Zion is till green and learning how to play (which is scary) and Van Gundy teams typically do better year 2 than 1. He has a reputation as a slow starter as a coach.

And historically the #2 pick has been a ty one. It’s why you could only think of two players while I listed 8. Go look it up. Mike Bibby is in the upper echelon of #2 picks since like 96. It’s like KD, LMA, ja, Ingram? Bibby. Then there’s the other 20 years of misses. Idk why, but the number 3 pick is historically better than the #2 pick which has produced 2 franchise players in 30 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should have blown this up with dynamite . It gets worse by the day. Bad decisions by the FO IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have not posted in here in many years, but I'll just offer my 2c.

Like in life or business, sometimes the smart thing to do is to recognize the diminishing returns of a situation/market and to take/absorb the losses. Like others have said, when the piece of Nephew sabotaged the Spurs and left, it was time to blow up the team. Ship LaMarcus someplace and re-build the team from scratch. If not that year, the next. I was never a fan of DeRozan, and I still cringe when I see him play. Now, it is just too late and the Spurs lost 3 years of good picks. You are not going to rebuild the franchise with the veterans, which are ok but not top quality. This is very different from the situation when we had TD, TP, and Manu trio being old but still very compe ive in the last decade. DeRozan, Patty, Gay are not on the same plane basketball-wise. So, should the Spurs have tanked on purpose? It is not in the DNA of the team, and Pop. HOWEVER, you could play compe ive games while you develop the young talent that you have. This would have been the smarter thing to do given the cir stances.

Having said this, the fans don't realize how incredible was the Spurs' run in the last 2 decades. For a small-market team, what the Spurs achieved was OUTSTANDING. So even if the Spurs would have done what I said above, it is unclear they would be in a better position today. The Spurs could ideally have 2-3 very young prospects with lots of potential in addition to the young players that they currently have in the best-case scenario. What would be the likelihood that the Spurs could have gotten a Tim Duncan or steal a Manu Ginobili with a 57th draft pick? I would argue close to zero, even in the best-case scenario. The guys in the FO have to weigh not only the basketball considerations but also business decisions for a small-market franchise. What would have happened to all the season ticket holders if the team was in rebuild mode for the last 2-3 years? Could you attract and, perhaps more importantly, retain top talent if you don't have established franchise players and only young talent competing with each other for the next big contract? Very unclear. However, having said all that, I think it was worth the risk. Now the Spurs are in limbo, not good enough to make a deep run in the playoffs, not bad enough to rebuild through the draft.

Nice to see some old-timers still posting here!

Cheers!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad you decided to post even though you haven't for a long time. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it and you are right on so many points. I guess they could have blown it up, but not sure what the financial ramifications would have been if they had of done that. That is one thing I didn't really think about/consider.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blah blah blah.

I'm done with you, man. I didn't say anything about R.J. Barrett or care to mention that part of the video (it has absolutely no baring on the discussion), but somehow you swing that posting to being about him.

O'Connor's comments about Zion are the only things dealing with our discussion, homie.

It is about Zion, his lackadaisical effort on the glass and defense. Ignoring his obvious flaws and poor team record cause he's "just a rookie."

No. 2 picks don't matter now? So, I guess Kevin Durant doesn't matter or Ja Morant for that matter....

Nah, you've got the dumb ass take my man.
    He’s not wrong about #2 picks. You may have named the only two good values in the last 30 years. The position has a horrible track record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR is clearly the better player than those two. I don't see the point in trading DDR for a piece that best fits with White and Murray, rather than trading White or Murray to fit around DDR. You have to build around your best player(s). You still have a poor shooting backcourt and a poor shooting front court. Why is it that DDR is the issue here?

IMO, I can see the Spurs/Pop being very aggressive this offseason. They have cap space and they have kept their picks, plus they have starting players on friendly deals (White/Murray/Poeltl/Johnson/Walker).

Spurs will target Sarbonis or Towns. The cost of an allstar quality big man is 1 young player and 2 first round picks. Towns price is higher.
    It's a wild day whenever I agree with Duncan2k5, but he's not wrong in the slightest. There is absolutely no point to trying to build a team around a 32 year old DeMar DeRozan, when he's failed his entire career to make meaningful playoff runs, even when he did have the entire team built and coddled to his specific playstyle, AND he was in his physical prime. It's gonna be downhill for him real fast, both as his body continues to age and his explosiveness wanes, and also as the league further trends away from his archaic playstyle. There is literally not a single worse plan the FO could entail, than re-building the Spurs (and trading away what little young talent the team has) to build around DeRozan.

That said, I'm not advocating towards building around DJ and/or White, specifically, either. Neither have proved good enough to build a team around, we agree there. But getting rid of the dead weight (if you watched the Cavs game, seeing DeMar yet again get his cool 20pts as the team got blown out in the other end by a tanking team is all you need to see) is a must. It's not that DeRozan is the problem because he's a worse player than DJ/DW, which he's not; he's the problem because his fit around the other 14 players on the roster is , and every game we're seeing it. He demands the ball entirely, to play inefficient ball, isolates and freezes out his teammates waiting for him to pass out into the perimeter, then s the bed on defense and brings morale down. Ain't no starting lineup work with someone like that on the team....

Lastly, I wouldn't at all mind trading some youngsters for Sabonis or Towns, both would be great building blocks, even though IDK if the Spurs could ever truly contend with either at the helm. But DeRozan's gotta go either way, tbh.

Thread Information