Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I for one hope he moves on because not only does he get routinely outcoached but Pop also coaches like a coach who knows he won't ever get fired and doesn't have winning as his top priority...

There needs to be some sort of consequence for bad coaching and right now Pop does not face any.

Hopefully he turns the reigns over to Becky cause I think she is a damn good coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be an interesting off season. I do believe Spurs will go after an elite big. I think one of White or Murray will be gone. Possibly Johnson and Poeltl as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TMac absolutely would not have gone to Orlando to play as the #3 guy. He was already jealous of Vince Carter in Toronto. If TMac gave a crap about winning he would have stayed there. He had all the tools to be a better Scottie Pippen but just wanted to score.
    Yeah, it's sad that he was so jealous of his cousin like that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's sad that he was so jealous of his cousin like that.
    He also hated playing in Toronto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rumor the past 2 decades, that has been confirmed by several sources, is Doc Rivers being the reason Duncan stayed. Duncan was all but gone.. And no one ever wants to discuss why Duncan wanted out of San antonio. I still don't know.
    He didn't want out of San Antonio, he did his due-diligence on his free agent options. Orlando was intriguing to him for many reasons and he said as much in a recent interview.

1. Orlando was close to his family and home in the US VI.
    2. The Magic wanted him to form a Super Team with Grant Hill & Tracy McGrady.
    3. He was already familiar and friends with Monty Williams and respected him quite a bit. I believe he was part of the coaching staff with the Magic.

Why did he stay? He said it was because of a "trust" factor and friendship he developed with Pop. They were building something and although the team's future was a little murky because of the aging roster, he trusted Pop would get it right. This was pre Tony and Manu if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure David Robinson played a part in convincing him to think about what they had started but the impact was a little overblown by the local news.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still not entirely sure that OP isn't trolling with this thread, but agreed, tbh. I know we've been saying this for a while now, but it's really looking like the sun is setting on Pop's coaching career. Anyone who's seen him all these years knows he's not chasing the wins record - he's got enough records as it is. I do think he'd want to leave the team in a better light than it currently is in, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see him return for one last year, but at the same time I don't think he wants to coach a bottom-of-the-barrel team. So it's going to be a very interesting offseason for sure, regarding how the Spurs FO themselves see the team and how it will move forward.

Beyond all the trolling, and his decline in recent years, he's been an incredible coach for SanAn. Stupid posters will say he rode Timmy's coattails entirely without any input, and never did anything good himself, yet will also fondly remember Pop outcoaching Mike D'Antoni all those series and so many other coaches, his wacky schemes, his being at the forefront of the NBA, and paving the way for the modern game with his 13-14' squad and the Beautiful Game. None of that happened without Pop. Every Spurs fan should be forever grateful... And I have zero doubts that being grateful for all that he's done, will get much easier once he's not on the team anymore, mucking things up. It's just time, tbh.

Cya, Pop. Or should I say, CIA Pop...?
    I also don't think he's chasing records. For me the reason he's still coaching is very simple: Basketball is his life! Being around those young guys, do something meaningful instead of sitting alone in his house. It's pretty understable. Question is: Do he have to be the HC any longer? He could step back in the second row mentoring a younger HC, but I guess that's not his character and you would have to find a HC who can handle that (Becky, Hardy).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be an interesting off season. I do believe Spurs will go after an elite big. I think one of White or Murray will be gone. Possibly Johnson and Poeltl as well.
    If they have a chance drafting an elite guard then White will be gone. I don't think they trade Johnson. Maybe Poeltl for the right deal, but my guess is that they want to keep him at least for another year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they have a chance drafting an elite guard then White will be gone. I don't think they trade Johnson. Maybe Poeltl for the right deal, but my guess is that they want to keep him at least for another year.

Spurs were linked to Vuc and the Magic wanted a young promising player and 2 firsts. They got that from the Bulls. If Spurs want Towns or Sabonis, I think it'll take Poeltl and White/Murray + 1st. For Towns, I think it's Johnson as well.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was never possible. The Magic had to completely gut a promising team just to get the two max contract slots they had. McGrady was going to Chicago if Duncan and Hill both went to Orlando.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were linked to Vuc and the Magic wanted a young promising player and 2 firsts. They got that from the Bulls. If Spurs want Towns or Sabonis, I think it'll take Poeltl and White/Murray + 1st. For Towns, I think it's Johnson as well.
    Not for Sabonis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not for Sabonis.
    I would love Sabonis but why is Indy shopping him? He is on an awesome contract for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was never possible. The Magic had to completely gut a promising team just to get the two max contract slots they had. McGrady was going to Chicago if Duncan and Hill both went to Orlando.
    Yes it was. A quick search on Google will provide you with plenty of evidence.

Recap of the Magic's 2000 Season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000%E...o_Magic_season

The most obvious one was McGrady learning that Tim didn't come to Orlando because Doc wouldn't allow spouses or girlfriends on the team plane.

https://youtu.be/dnZa4lBoeH8

Here's another "What if Tim decided to join Hill & McGrady in Orlando" article.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alte...144626322.html
    Last edited by tmtcsc; 04-07-2021 at 12:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Recap of the Magic's 2000 Season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000%E...o_Magic_season

The most obvious one was McGrady learning that Tim didn't come to Orlando because Doc wouldn't allow spouses or girlfriends on the team plane.

Man as Spurs fan I am so so so glad Doc messed up. Robinson DESERVED to go out a champion after all the bull he put up with. But as a basketball fan, that would've been AWESOME to watch Shaq and Kobe vs Duncan and Tmac. I was a huge McGrady fan growing up. I had his shoes, copied his moves (the ones that I could obviously bc I can't just throw the ball off the backboard and dunk ), used to just replay his Adidas commercial about him schooling Lebron. Tmac was the man back then

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bo Outlaw was making nearly half a max salary with years left on his deal and they couldn't salary dump him. If they could have found any way whatsoever to dump Outlaw they would have kept Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins instead of trading them to Detroit for Hill.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't want out of San Antonio, he did his due-diligence on his free agent options. Orlando was intriguing to him for many reasons and he said as much in a recent interview.

1. Orlando was close to his family and home in the US VI.
    3. He was already familiar and friends with Monty Williams and respected him quite a bit. I believe he was part of the coaching staff with the Magic.

Why did he stay? He said it was because of a "trust" factor and friendship he developed with Pop. They were building something and although the team's future was a little murky because of the aging roster, he trusted Pop would get it right. This was pre Tony and Manu if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure David Robinson played a part in convincing him to think about what they had started but the impact was a little overblown by the local news.
    I don't know why people keep forgetting but the Magic could never form a super team with Duncan-Hill-Tmac. They had enough cap space for only 2 max players. Once Duncan rejected them Tmac was the backup plan for them. Had Duncan agreed it would have been just Duncan and Hill and no Tmac.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why people keep forgetting but the Magic could never form a super team with Duncan-Hill-Tmac. They had enough cap space for only 2 max players. Once Duncan rejected them Tmac was the backup plan for them. Had Duncan agreed it would have been just Duncan and Hill and no Tmac.
    They made room for 2 max players & would've done what was necessary to make room for another. It wouldn't have been that difficult to unload salaries to create the space needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bo Outlaw was making nearly half a max salary with years left on his deal and they couldn't salary dump him. If they could have found any way whatsoever to dump Outlaw they would have kept Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins instead of trading them to Detroit for Hill.
    Bo Outlaw was a free agent. Orlando wanted & would have done a sign and trade if they could but he had to agree on where he was being sent. Bo Outlaw ended up re-signing for an average of 5.5 Million per season. Max at the time for Duncan would have been 9.6 Million. Good Lord how times have changed. I wonder if Pop would have been open to a sign and trade knowing Tim was leaving like he was with Kawhi Leonard. Would Tim & Grant been receptive to taking less to make it work? Pfft. I was ready to hate Duncan if he bolted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bo Outlaw was a free agent. Orlando wanted & would have done a sign and trade if they could but he had to agree on where he was being sent. Bo Outlaw ended up re-signing for an average of 5.5 Million per season. Max at the time for Duncan would have been 9.6 Million. Good Lord how times have changed. I wonder if Pop would have been open to a sign and trade knowing Tim was leaving like he was with Kawhi Leonard. Would Tim & Grant been receptive to taking less to make it work? Pfft. I was ready to hate Duncan if he bolted.
    , you're right about Outlaw, I stand corrected. I thought he signed that big contract in 99-00, but nope, it was 00-01. ing re s in Orlando not keeping Wallace when his cap hit would have only been like $1.3 million and then they could have gone over the cap to re-sign him to a market value deal after using up all their capspace. Or more likely, their garbage owner Rich Devos being too cheap to build a winner. I mean Wallace wasn't Detroit Ben Wallace in 99-00, but he started getting recognition as a major part of that much better than expected 99-00 season and to lose him when he would have only counted $1.3 million against the cap was ludicrous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , you're right about Outlaw, I stand corrected. I thought he signed that big contract in 99-00, but nope, it was 00-01. ing re s in Orlando not keeping Wallace when his cap hit would have only been like $1.3 million and then they could have gone over the cap to re-sign him to a market value deal after using up all their capspace. Or more likely, their garbage owner Rich Devos being too cheap to build a winner. I mean Wallace wasn't Detroit Ben Wallace in 99-00, but he started getting recognition as a major part of that much better than expected 99-00 season and to lose him when he would have only counted $1.3 million against the cap was ludicrous.
    You're right about Wallace. That was a terrible move to trade him. He was one of / if not the top rebounder in the league and a terrific defender. To add to their misery, Grant was never healthy and missed all sorts of games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the front office begging him to coach the last two years only for them to miss the playoffs in both seasons

Thread Information