24 21.24%
  • Samanic

15 13.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An intelligent team would have Vassell shooting 6 threes per game already. Unfortunately, the Spurs are stupid.

Anywho, are any of these guys off the table for trades in your eyes?

I could trade pretty much any of them depending on the offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An intelligent team would have Vassell shooting 6 threes per game already. Unfortunately, the Spurs are stupid.

There's very, very, very few players in the league that are truly off the table irrespective of the offer being presented. Of about 400 NBA players, I'd dare say less than 30 (maybe less than 20) are actually off the table, non-starter kind of protected. For everyone else, it'll always depend on the offer - even such a promising talent as SGA wasn't off the table when the right deal came through.

Having said that, I would really hesitate to trade either Keldon or Samanic unless we're talking about a king's ransom. Every other player on our team either has a roleplayer ceiling with no clear flashes of star potential (Vassell, White), has potential but hasn't so far been able to consistently translate it to the court (Lonnie, though in a pinch he'd be the third name on my do-not-trade list), or has real value but would be better served traded for assets (I'm still convinced we gotta sell high on Dejounte before other teams start scouting him out of games).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say. Each of those guys has strengths and each has some glaring weaknesses.

If we're making this bet simply on potential, the needle still points to LWIV. Then Murray, Keldon, Vassell and White in that order.

Heart and soul...Keldon and then Murray.

Current skillset...White.

LWIV, Murray, Keldon, Vassell and White is a good start. Now we need some faster, longer talent to put around them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of raw potential Lonnie and Luka have the highest ceilings. Devin has the highest floor.

Still, they're longer odds and it seems Murray is likely to be the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Luka because of his size and guard abilities, especially with today's NBA. If he reaches his potential, he will have the highest upside.
    2. Devin already has the finesse, and the smoothest jump shots. He is long, athletic and has all the tools to become a very good 2way player. Easily a top 3 in his class when all is done. And yes, better than Hallibur-who?
    3. Keldon, I love his motor and I like to put him in #1, BUT he would need to develop a consistent jump shot. I bet he would work his butt off this summer though.
    3. Walker is just an athletic freak that if he put it together, he could easily dominate the game.
    4. Dejounte is very good now, but unless he gets stronger to finish strong, his inconsistent jump shots will not save him every night.
    5. White is a glue, a very necessary solid role player, but unfortunately that's all he is.
    6. Tre, he is deceptively athletic, has that burst of speed. Already has the highest basketball IQ among the young core. If he knocks down those shots, like his brother does, watch out!
    7. Poeltl, his 5 years in the NBA has yet to develop him a go-to move. He can't even shoot a free throw, and gets dunked on by random big men. He has the tools, but not the heart to be great.
    Last edited by John B; 04-09-2021 at 03:55 PM.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's very, very, very few players in the league that are truly off the table irrespective of the offer being presented. Of about 400 NBA players, I'd dare say less than 30 (maybe less than 20) are actually off the table, non-starter kind of protected. For everyone else, it'll always depend on the offer - even such a promising talent as SGA wasn't off the table when the right deal came through.

Having said that, I would really hesitate to trade either Keldon or Samanic unless we're talking about a king's ransom. Every other player on our team either has a roleplayer ceiling with no clear flashes of star potential (Vassell, White), has potential but hasn't so far been able to consistently translate it to the court (Lonnie, though in a pinch he'd be the third name on my do-not-trade list), or has real value but would be better served traded for assets (I'm still convinced we gotta sell high on Dejounte before other teams start scouting him out of games).
    I'm definitely with you here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought I set this up so we could see who voted for who but I guess not.

I put KJ will be the best. I see him as having the most tools. People are down on him this year because he is playing out fo position. he is more of a 3 then a 4. putting him at a 4 hurts his game.

The rest would be
    Murray
    Vassel
    White
    Poeltl
    Walker.

I am unsure where to put Luka but could see him being in the Murray, KJ area. I think people think way to much of walker. he is the one that should be traded if anyone has interest in him. I think value may be low though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went with Walker, has all the tools...I hope he gets there.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont normally look at advanced stats but lonnies are Putrid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont normally look at advanced stats but lonnies are Putrid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How exactly do you think that teams are going to scout Murray out of games? They've got years of tape on him. On offense he's not exactly reinventing the wheel, he uses his quickness and his crossover to get past people or to get to his spots for his midrange jumpers. If teams were going to scout against that then they'd already be doing it. Outside of Derozan, DJ is probably the most reliable scorer we have right now because of his ability to get to his spots. I'm not sure how much more he can improve his shooting, but it shouldn't get any worse going forward so I'm not sure how teams will somehow magically stop him.

Before this season I thought a few other Spurs had higher ceilings than DJM and while the super young ones might improve to be better than DJM I wouldn't bet on a single one being a better player when its all said and done. It really is time for people to stop underrating Murray. i could really see DJM being a 20-7-7 two way guard next year. That's pretty ing good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray: Last year, I said that I can see Murray being a 14-17 ppg/7 reb/4 Ast guy at his peak. guess what he's doing that. With what I've seen from him this year and how improvement he's gotten, I truly Beleive that there is another level to his game. For Murray, its just confidence in his 3pt shooting, a little more improvement.

Floor: 16 pts/ 7 reb/5 ast (which i assumed his ceiling would be)
    Ceiling: 20 ppg/ 7/7 ( This is his ceiling now, and he's an 1st/2nd option)

Lonnie, I still think high of him. Can he reach his ceiling? it's hard to judge what he's still young, has time to still improvment. I will say that since his move to the bench, he has looked like a different player and something that looks good for him! I also think at the moment, being on the bench is the perfect spot for him. He still has the potential to be 1st option and all-star and now its just a waiting game for us and him.

KJ, Big Boy. Man i Love the energy and hustle he brings! here's the thing. Keldon has scary upside! he plays like a mini Giannis, he get to the hoop with ease and the only way to stop him is either, built a mini wall (2-3 people) or he gets fouled but doesn't get called. That it. He has teh abuilty just attack and attack and dominate. Now here's the issue, teams adjust and now it's time for him to adjust. He just needs to refine his offensive game; add a Jumpshot, doesn't all ways need to attack, add a tear drop and than just practice on the 3pt. No I am not saying he's going to turn into Giannis, I think his ceiling will be a solid 2nd/3rd option on a good team.

Samanic. he's fits the mold of the perfect 4 in the modern NBA. He's got the quickness and length to take it to the rim. Has the defenive ability to defend 2-4, Has an High Iq. He has as much upside as anyother player. But i would like to see him more to determine just what type of upside he has.

WHite, i feel like he's hit his ceiling, He's a solid high-end [player, that will do everything and hit the 3 and at time get you some big games.

Vassel: too early to judge, defenively i woulf says beside's Dj, he has the highest upside. Offensively, there is alot of work to be done and will ultimately determine where or what type of player he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...... It really is time for people to stop underrating Murray. i could really see DJM being a 20-7-7 two way guard next year. That's pretty ing good.
    That's not much of stretch either. He's at 16-6-7 right now.
    Increase in usage if DDR leaves and or improved 3 point shot and he's there. All the others have significant questions about their game, but DJM is actually putting up some good stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is the safest bet considering how good he already is, and how he's been able to improve pretty steadily.

sadly, it's possible that White already peaked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie. Y’all keep doubting this kid, but he has the potential to become a franchise player and I think he will get there

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s awesome that we’ve got a long list of guys in the discussion!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He is a rookie and gets lost on the court a lot. Gets confused in certain situations. For the most part he has had a pretty loose leash as far as rookies shooting it looks like. He almost shoots a bit too much when he is out there. But I will say I am excited about his future and he will be a really good scorer and help defender at the very least. Hopefully his body builds out in the right way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. And you can even add Tre in the mix.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theres like a 10% chance any of them will ever be an all star. Murray, Lonnie, White and Poeltl wont improve. Samanic will probably be in Europe in 2 years, as he wont be happy being a bench warmer. Vassell should become at least a solid role player and Keldon is the only one i see being pretty good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting poll. Not one vote for White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. And you can even add Tre in the mix.
    I like Tre a lot. He threw some amazing passes last night. That alley-oop to Vassell was pretty nice. You don't see that type of play out of the Spurs too often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Tre a lot. He threw some amazing passes last night. That alley-oop to Vassell was pretty nice. You don't see that type of play out of the Spurs too often.
    He's a steal at 41st pick. Already he has one of the highest bball IQ in the young core. And deceptively athletic with his burst of speed. He knocks down those shots, he'd be a solid PG for a long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting poll. Not one vote for White.
    I like Derrick a lot. He sacrifices his body, a real glue and a great team mate. Maybe he could squeak in 1-2 all star if things go his way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon just needs to develop his outside shot/mid-range and become a more willing passer. He should become better and better each season if he does. His motor is 2nd to none. If his game can mature, no reason why he can't become a top notch SF in the league. Thought his conditioning took a big hit when he was out for a month due to COVID but seems recovered. I would say based on age, at ude and playing style, KJ has the biggest upside.

White is already a solid NBA starter because he can play both ends and does everything at least decently. The concerns are injury and confidence. Still has upside although maybe with another organization. His shooting has been down this season but I think that's mainly due to the early injuries/COVID hiatus but he's finishing a lot better now and playing with more energy on D. With Jamal Murray going down with the ACL, Spurs trading White to Denver would make a lot of sense if SA can get a couple late firsts or young assets in the off-season. I feel it might work out well for both sides if Derozan stays and/or Walker develops.

People seem to be underrating and overrating Walker. He's a phenomenal athlete with a beautiful stroke but he has got to become stronger and a better defender. To me, he's a good offensive spark off the bench right now with big upside. He's still young and needs more time. He should be taking Mills' role as the first sub off the bench.

DJ has really improved offensively and is a real disruptor on defense. He's like a swiss army knife since he can do a bunch of different things. Has a great at ude so he should only improve. One of the better overall players under 25. Showed a lot of toughness/character coming back from that ACL injury so well. I would put DJ as the player with the highest upside after KJ.

Poetl is a really good backup but average starter at best. Needs to improve a lot of on the offensive end and his defense seems to be slipping as he's used more. I just don't think he has the skill set to get much better offensively. Hard to envision him averaging 10ppg. Just so limited.

Vassell/Samanic are young talents with defensive versatility with a lot of upside but need rotational minutes for us to get a better read on.

I think in general the younger guys would all improve if we had better bigs. To me, it's the glaring weakness of the team (on the court) which would balance the roster a lot more. Also-Derozan's presence has stalled some of their growth because everybody defers to him.
    Last edited by 8sy21vd; 04-13-2021 at 05:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its easily Murray from what we've seen. Guy has the drive to be the best, will work, and is turning out to be a good leader/motivator. He has improved actually quite rapidly after the ACL process and the needed games to get back into NBA action.

Thread Information