Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how are we going to get that 20/10 PF/C? They don’t grown on trees, and if we tie up $30M in DD, we won’t be able to afford one, regardless.
    I've been saying this for a while. I think Spurs will go hard for sabonis or towns this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should realize unless we pay DDR 30+ a year we are not even on his radar. 39mm cap hold makes a S&T challenging to offer anyone else a decent deal unless all things are lined up well in advance. There is no winning for us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think its going to be the Knicks... if not, then the S&T is in play and that could work to our benefit if we have anyone in the FO who knows how to navigate that..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should realize unless we pay DDR 30+ a year we are not even on his radar. 39mm cap hold makes a S&T challenging to offer anyone else a decent deal unless all things are lined up well in advance. There is no winning for us.
    The hold won't be an issue because there's nobody on the market that's worth throwing that kind of money at. We can afford to wait.. it'll be a short wait anyway. He'll agree in the 1st week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In this last 2-7 home stand, DeRozan bears no fault in its occurrence? Is that the message of our resident DeRozan diehards.

Just to recap, a loss to the undermanned Hornets, Hawks, Pacers, and a house-cleaning by the tanking Cavaliers.

So if we're to fear what the Spurs will be like next year without DeRozan, how does that equate to the losses above with him prime and ready in each game.
    Maybe we lose to Cleveland by 35 instead of 25. I just don't understand those calling to hitch another three years with DeRozan as player 1 or 1A.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    hometown discount one year deal with the lakers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF DeMar is indeed taking a "wide open" approach, then the chucking and freezing out of teammates will continue. Expect more "clutch" DeMar at the end of games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the heat will put their name in the hat. Them and the Knicks

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will be one more failure by old man Pop if he walks for nothing.

In classic Spurs/R.C. groveling fashion, they'll probably offer the supermax at 12:01.

Best move would be a sign and trade out east. Time for Wright to earn his keep.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In this last 2-7 home stand, DeRozan bears no fault in its occurrence? Is that the message of our resident DeRozan diehards.

Just to recap, a loss to the undermanned Hornets, Hawks, Pacers, and a house-cleaning by the tanking Cavaliers.

So if we're to fear what the Spurs will be like next year without DeRozan, how does that equate to the losses above with him prime and ready in each game.
    Maybe we lose to Cleveland by 35 instead of 25. I just don't understand those calling to hitch another three years with DeRozan as player 1 or 1A.
    The derozan diehards are by far the most delusional people on the site. Just absolute mush for brains

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most important factor is what does Pop want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won’t be back. Hopefully he lands on a championship team tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect the candidates are Hawks, Grizzlies, Knicks, Raptors . . .

- Hawks: Would have to go the sign and trade route, with Collins and/or Bogdanovic being candidates. Would upgrade the latter in terms of shot creation, but only makes sense if Young is willing to cede primary ball handling responsibilities.

- Grizzlies: Desperately need another source of shot creation alongside Morant and he'd be a significant offensive upgrade on Winslow.

- Knicks: Even if they regress some, with Randle's and Barrett's improvement from 3 and if they plan to start Quickley next season, he could make sense if they want to fast track their re-build, but he'd stunt the growth of Barrett.

- Raptors: Ideal current fit with core as Lowry replacement, but they need a starting center and may not want to deal with possible backlash again if/when he doesn't finish his career with them.

The Grizzlies make the most sense from both a team and player perspective. Small market, intriguing young nucleus, no go-to guy at the moment and can't attract real stars.
    +1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hometown discount one year deal with the lakers?
    S&T would be needed for that to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see NY putting in a bid on him. Not sure if they have the cap-space to pay him what he wants though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A source with knowledge of DeRozan’s outlook said he’ll be taking a “wide open” approach to free agency in terms of possible landing spots.
    I mean, yeah, obviously. Why would he narrow his search on what is sure to be his last big contract?

Spurs fans: DeRozan sucks, I can't wait until he's off the team. He's been a net-negative player his whole career. The Spurs will be better the second he leaves.

Also Spurs fans: How could this incompetent front office let him walk for nothing? Look at his averages! They should be able to get at least two first round draft picks for him!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean he was destined to fail here since the team was never built around him If we properly built around him then we would be a top 4 team in the west this year. Like imagine if the 27 million a year to LMA actually went to a good player. Imagine if his center could make a lay up. Or KJ a wide ass open 3. This team is built in a way for him to fail and he still is dragging the Spurs to the playoffs (play-in).
    Dude, just no. Stop. It's time to move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, yeah, obviously. Why would he narrow his search on what is sure to be his last big contract?

Spurs fans: DeRozan sucks, I can't wait until he's off the team. He's been a net-negative player his whole career. The Spurs will be better the second he leaves.

Also Spurs fans: How could this incompetent front office let him walk for nothing? Look at his averages! They should be able to get at least two first round draft picks for him!
    I don't see how those comments contradict each other, tbh. DeRozan's experiment with the Spurs is pretty much done. It didn't work out. That doesn't mean DD's guady numbers can't atract a decent haul from another team. Anything would have been better than letting him go for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs may know before FA that he is unlikely to re-sign and shift focus on signing other players. They could keep his cap hold on the books until it comes time to actually sign players, making it possible for an S&T. Otherwise, they'd just renounce him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With not a lot of cap teams, what happens if we do a sign and trade ? if we keep his rights, his cap hold will not handicap us for signing other free agents ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice try.

Multiple things can be true at once: He's not a legit star, but they won't be better without him necessarily (pending other moves) because they currently don't have anyone else who can play his all important role.

It's also more than reasonable to think a team going nowhere fast, with by all indications no interest in re-signing him, would trade him and take what they can get while they still have leverage.

But, you know, 5 rings, so . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago may be an option; Bulls reportedly had interest in DeMar, and are probably looking for a third "star" to go with LaVine and Vucevic. They can't sign DeMar outright but they do have Markkanen who, if he's interested, could be shipped back in a double S&T (I think that's technically possible) . Bulls get DeMar and Spurs get Lauri.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I suspect the candidates are Hawks, Grizzlies, Knicks, Raptors . . .

- Hawks: Would have to go the sign and trade route, with Collins and/or Bogdanovic being candidates. Would upgrade the latter in terms of shot creation, but only makes sense if Young is willing to cede primary ball handling responsibilities.

- Grizzlies: Desperately need another source of shot creation alongside Morant and he'd be a significant offensive upgrade on Winslow.

- Knicks: Even if they regress some, with Randle's and Barrett's improvement from 3 and if they plan to start Quickley next season, he could make sense if they want to fast track their re-build, but he'd stunt the growth of Barrett.

- Raptors: Ideal current fit with core as Lowry replacement, but they need a starting center and may not want to deal with possible backlash again if/when he doesn't finish his career with them.

The Grizzlies make the most sense from both a team and player perspective. Small market, intriguing young nucleus, no go-to guy at the moment and can't attract real stars.
    hmm... i'd say:
    knicks #1
    hawks #2
    spurs #3 ?

i think the raps and grizz are too smart to want demar. both teams need help but demar is not the answer for anyone TBH.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No one sensible is expecting two first round picks for derozan. The Spurs ed up when they didn’t trade him after that first playoff embarrassment, then doubled down by not moving him in the two years since. Now their only hope is some sucker team will be as delusional about derozan as Spurs fans are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago may be an option; Bulls reportedly had interest in DeMar, and are probably looking for a third "star" to go with LaVine and Vucevic. They can't sign DeMar outright but they do have Markkanen who, if he's interested, could be shipped back in a double S&T (I think that's technically possible) . Bulls get DeMar and Spurs get Lauri.
    Probably depends on how the Bulls perform the rest of the season. If they do bad, yes. If they do good, probably not.

Thread Information