Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what do you think it would take to get KAT?

Would Poeltl, White, and 2 1st's get the conversation started?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    then why didn't the spurs get a better deal for kawhi?

draft is skill and luck.

wtf

how on earth are you arguing that some FOs aren't smarter than others?
    Seriously? Because S bag intentionally destroyed his value in an attempt to strong arm them into trading him to L.A.

More so luck, which is why the Warriors have mostly struggled with it since that run.

You're only arguing otherwise based on results that are mostly derived from luck. Again, if it were about being "smarter", there would be no rise and fall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think the Spurs could put together a package to get him, or do you think they don't have the assets to even get their hats in the ring? He's starting to be my number one preferred target right now, and I'd probably be OK with trading anyone on the team. Lonnie, I want to keep at give one more year to see what he can do, but if he's required in a package, I'd probably let him go too.
    If Spurs don't resign DDR, who I think is the best free agent available, along with possibly Oladipo. Then I think the Spurs have a good haul to offer for Towns. I think the starting bid will be Poeltl, White/Murray, and Johnson, 2x First round picks.

If the Spurs let DDR go and don't get a star in return, then there is no point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most important factor is what does Pop want.
    Why it should be what is best for spurs not pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why it should be what is best for spurs not pop
    I should have typed it in blue so you would know it's sarcasm.

Altho it's also true of what has become of the Spurs.
    It's all about what Pop wants 1st and foremost.
    Winning is far down the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Derozan leaves...the Spurs should target these three FAs: Evan Fournier, Nic Batum and Montrezl Harrell for short two year contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri hasn't exactly been pulling up trees for CHI, and is going to want to get paid. You could say he's been a bust; he definitely hasn't lived up to expectations. Does he fit with Vuc (and Lavine)? Not convinced myself (I think they need a stronger defender in the 4 spot with Vuc on the floor). So there are plenty of reasons to move him for value. Also, he's a RFA, he may also want out of CHI.

CHI on the other hand, post Vuc trade (which I think was a mistake for them, but not my problem), is committed to being a good team. Right now, they are 6 games into the Vuc era and are 2-4... If that doesn't improve significantly... Well, they will need to improve and they can't move more picks. They don't have the cap space to get Deroz directly; he might be the individual best FA left on the market. It gives them a big 3 who can all get their own shot. You can probably make a starting lineup that fits with Lavine and Vuc, because they can shoot the 3...

This doesn't cost CHI much by way of sunk costs. If they get Deroz, he's going to eat Sato's minutes anyway (and I've discussed Markannen's issues already).
    I don't disagree with either of your assessments re: Lauri and Chicago's position; however, I do disagree with the inference that Lauri's misfit with the Bulls directly means the Spurs would be able to get him via trading DDR to them. I hardly think the Bulls would like a heavy ball-handling guard taking shots away from Lavine (not to mention being unable to space the floor or C&S when Lavine penetrates to dish it out), not to mention DeRoz's no-D, which would be exacerbated on the Bulls, considering both Vuc and Lavine are not exactly lockdown defenders or close to it. Your "Big 3" all being able to get their own shot is great in theory, but teams don't want the kinds of shots DeMar gets, and the time/effort/ball-hogging it takes for him to get them, in the modern game.

I can't say for sure what other packages will be on the table, since many times random teams decide to blow it up or make certain players available after weak/disappointing playoff runs; but I'm sure the Bulls won't be looking our way. Not for that package at least. Maaaaybe Lauri + filler for DeRozan, either Murray/White, and a first would get it done, but I'd pass on that deal personally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are the rules on trading for draft picks $$$ on an S&T.

If DD is signed and traded, does their have to be matching salary or can straight player for picks be done?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs don't resign DDR, who I think is the best free agent available, along with possibly Oladipo. Then I think the Spurs have a good haul to offer for Towns. I think the starting bid will be Poeltl, White/Murray, and Johnson, 2x First round picks.

If the Spurs let DDR go and don't get a star in return, then there is no point.
    That's the problem with trying to trade for an established star that's in an impoverished franchise. Asking cost is too high. No way KAT is worth that package - not because of the cost in a vacuum, but because it leaves the Spurs with too little assets/talent to surround KAT with. Actively contending teams can afford to ship out multiple 1sts for that kind of player who can "get them over the hump" (most recent example with Jrue and the Bucks, think it was even 3 picks), but the Spurs are nowhere near that status, and have to take real good care of their picks. I doubt they'd be able to crack 30 wins with that package being sent out.

If Derozan leaves...the Spurs should target these three FAs: Evan Fournier, Nic Batum and Montrezl Harrell for short two year contracts.
    Why would the Spurs trade for middling roleplayers who do nothing to raise the teams' ceiling if DeRozan walks? Any scenario where DD leaves means the Spurs start an active tank job. There'd be no use for any of those players raising the teams' floor and worsening their pick, and likewise, none of those players would like to spend their prime years (well, maybe Batum would since he's over the hill already) in a tanking, small-market team. Hard pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the problem with trying to trade for an established star that's in an impoverished franchise. Asking cost is too high. No way KAT is worth that package - not because of the cost in a vacuum, but because it leaves the Spurs with too little assets/talent to surround KAT with. Actively contending teams can afford to ship out multiple 1sts for that kind of player who can "get them over the hump" (most recent example with Jrue and the Bucks, think it was even 3 picks), but the Spurs are nowhere near that status, and have to take real good care of their picks. I doubt they'd be able to crack 30 wins with that package being sent out.

Why would the Spurs trade for middling roleplayers who do nothing to raise the teams' ceiling if DeRozan walks? Any scenario where DD leaves means the Spurs start an active tank job. There'd be no use for any of those players raising the teams' floor and worsening their pick, and likewise, none of those players would like to spend their prime years (well, maybe Batum would since he's over the hill already) in a tanking, small-market team. Hard pass.
    My theory is there is a psychological effect that comes from losing; combine that with having no veteran presence to re-direct the youth from bad habits and it might lead to a high turnover environment. While there is a need for a top player on the team, you don't disregard the rest of the team and waste all their years of development. You'd probably want that top tier player to join a healthy environment, not one that's been desensitized to losing. Give the team at least the illusion of competing and everything will follow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs should not target any of those if Derozan leaves.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be a long dry season without a franchise player. Be careful what you wish for.

I still believe this team is a PF/C 20/10 away from being a contender, as long as Murray, White, Keldon, Vassell, Luka and Poeltl continue to improve. Sign Demar his max, sign Patty but in limited role, and let Rudy/Lyles walk. Sign Dieng back.

I think Demar has demonstrated his loyalty, and being a good soldier. He likes playing with the young core. I think he will sign with the Spurs, granted they have a good plan of becoming compe ive. But if it's another year of mediocrity, I think Demar should find a contender that he can help get a ring.
    You can't get that power forward center while also keeping demar because he effectively plays power forward AND you need the money you would pay him to go get that power forward center.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with either of your assessments re: Lauri and Chicago's position; however, I do disagree with the inference that Lauri's misfit with the Bulls directly means the Spurs would be able to get him via trading DDR to them. I hardly think the Bulls would like a heavy ball-handling guard taking shots away from Lavine (not to mention being unable to space the floor or C&S when Lavine penetrates to dish it out), not to mention DeRoz's no-D, which would be exacerbated on the Bulls, considering both Vuc and Lavine are not exactly lockdown defenders or close to it. Your "Big 3" all being able to get their own shot is great in theory, but teams don't want the kinds of shots DeMar gets, and the time/effort/ball-hogging it takes for him to get them, in the modern game.

I can't say for sure what other packages will be on the table, since many times random teams decide to blow it up or make certain players available after weak/disappointing playoff runs; but I'm sure the Bulls won't be looking our way. Not for that package at least. Maaaaybe Lauri + filler for DeRozan, either Murray/White, and a first would get it done, but I'd pass on that deal personally.
    I wouldn't do what you're proposing would be the price either; I just think you're wrong about what the price will be. The Bull's FO isn't smart (see the Vuc trade in the first place), and are going to be looking desperately for anything that might work because of it. Nobody's going to offer them something like that (pick, young player and good player, are you crazy?!?) for Lauri - he's generally seen as a bust...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs should not target any of those if Derozan leaves.
    My thought as well. Batum??? Every time I watch the Cloppers I see him getting burned on D. He's another slow footed vet. Why we would want that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs would still have cap space, even if DDR signs a full max.

You're starting lineup would be
    Murray
    Walker
    DDR
    Samanic
    Towns

Then Spurs would have 15 to 25 mil (depending on DDR contract). Spurs would probably bring back Mills and Dieng, hopefully have room to sign one more player then the mle exception.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would still have cap space, even if DDR signs a full max.

You're starting lineup would be
    Murray
    Walker
    DDR
    Samanic
    Towns

Then Spurs would have 15 to 25 mil (depending on DDR contract). Spurs would probably bring back Mills and Dieng, hopefully have room to sign one more player then the mle exception.
    Not enough to sign your required 20/10 PF/C.

Oh, and if you drop as far below the cap as we will, you don’t get the MLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not enough to sign your required 20/10 PF/C.

Oh, and if you drop as far below the cap as we will, you don’t get the MLE.
    You don't need a 20/10 PF if you got Towns. I'm unsure what the mle rules are. As far I know, you only get it if you used it the year before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't need a 20/10 PF if you got Towns. I'm unsure what the mle rules are. As far I know, you only get it if you used it the year before.
    How are you getting Towns?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How are you getting Towns?
    I proposed a trade idea at what would it take. I think Spurs will target towns this off season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I proposed a trade idea at what would it take. I think Spurs will target towns this off season.
    In this thread?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was his trade proposal-"Then I think the Spurs have a good haul to offer for Towns. I think the starting bid will be Poeltl, White/Murray, and Johnson, 2x First round picks."

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But in the end we can just bid on lauri. So to a certain degree they will consider taking something. (or outbid)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we should pay him as an nba star and not a superstar

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pairing Towns and DDR would be a complete disaster, giving opposing offenses both a poor wing and a poor post defender to attack. Compare that to teams that have had success in the last few years with a pairing of good stars who can defend: LeBron/AD, Bam/Butler, Embiid/Simmons, Giannis/Middleton, Gobert/Conley. No way that pairing has a chance at success.

Thread Information