Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pairing Towns and DDR would be a complete disaster, giving opposing offenses both a poor wing and a poor post defender to attack. Compare that to teams that have had success in the last few years with a pairing of good stars who can defend: LeBron/AD, Bam/Butler, Embiid/Simmons, Giannis/Middleton, Gobert/Conley. No way that pairing has a chance at success.
    Yeah I agree. DDR and Towns should not be paired together. You keep them as far apart as possible, so whatever the furthest fast food restaurant away from Jack in the Box is, that is where you keep Towns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KAT hasn't proven he can help a team win. Great stats though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KAT hasn't proven he can help a team win. Great stats though.
    He's a KG in TWolves. You get him in a winning team, I bet he rings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? It’s not like he hasn’t had talent. He’s a young LMA, posting great stats, and winning nothing. It won’t matter who you put around him. He’ll find a way to lose in the end.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure about that because of his defense at the most important defensive position, but I get the gist and agree with the sentiment.

Granted Davis is a significantly better defender, but look at him. Supposedly wasn't a "winner" . . . until he was given his first real chance to win at a high level and did so immediately, despite having a flawed team.

It's mostly context related, especially in the contrived/tainted era.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want Derozan back even though he's a tremendous offensive talent. He's not a good fit here and it baffles me why anybody within the organization or Demar for that matter would want to come back. At this stage of his career, he should be part of contending team as a 2nd or 3rd option particularly in the East.

The Spurs do need to go after legit bigs in FA, via trade or in the draft. They need at least one starting stretch big and one off the bench. When your bigs rotation is Poetl, Gay, Eubanks...you're in trouble. We have good young pieces like Murray, White, Walker, Vassell you can also package in a trade. I mean you're not going to keep all of those guys long-term in your back court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Counting the 50-game lockout season, KG averaged 44.3 wins in his 11 seasons in Minny and made the playoffs 8 times with arguably worse talent. The only truly talented team he played on in Minnesota was the Sprewell/Cassell/KG Wolves which lost in the WCF.

KAT has averaged 32.4 wins in his 5 full seasons (a number which is going to dip even lower this year) and has only made the playoffs once.

Comparing KAT to KG is an insult to Garnett.
    Last edited by Dex; 04-13-2021 at 09:50 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comparing Towns to KG would be like comparing Julius Randle to Tim Duncan, or Dale Ellis to Steph Curry.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying Towns is as good as Garnett (though the gap isn't as wide as some are making it seem), but he's had one season (his 3rd/age 22) where he was on a goodish team and they pretty much maxed out.

There's very few players who can take virtually any roster and at least make them a playoff team (in this era, it might just be James and Harden). I'm not going to hold that against him any more than I'm going to pretend these contrived/tainted "winners" are real champions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Davis is a better comparison imo. Even then AD is better but the AD/KAT gap is much smaller than KG/KAT.

fwiw I would definitely trade for him if the price isn't exorbitant. I think KAT can definitely be close to an AD-level #2 option, which would make luring a big-name FA much easier. Then again, I don't know a lot about his reputation around the league; I don't remember hearing anything really good or bad but I don't pay much attention on that front.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Pascal Siakam be on anyones wish list? His contract is 33+, 35+, 37+ over the next three years, and I don't think Toronto can sustain that contract. Don't think in the end the Spurs would want to fork that kind of money to one player either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Pascal Siakam be on anyones wish list? His contract is 33+, 35+, 37+ over the next three years, and I don't think Toronto can sustain that contract. Don't think in the end the Spurs would want to fork that kind of money to one player either.
    Still can't shoot and I don't trust us in trades . . .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If KAT available, would have to take a hard look at it. But he's someone I think you think about trading some of our young guards for. depends on the cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Davis is a better comparison imo. Even then AD is better but the AD/KAT gap is much smaller than KG/KAT.

fwiw I would definitely trade for him if the price isn't exorbitant. I think KAT can definitely be close to an AD-level #2 option, which would make luring a big-name FA much easier. Then again, I don't know a lot about his reputation around the league; I don't remember hearing anything really good or bad but I don't pay much attention on that front.
    The price would be exorbitant, and you’d have to have him as a number 1 option, not a number 2.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our butthole should still be raw from Masai long stroking us in the Kawhi trade TBH

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also while Kat is talented, let's not forget the one time he played on a legit good team with Jimmy, and Jimmy demanded they play winning basketball, Kat got mad and was threatening not to resign unless they traded Jimmy

Dude very much seems like a "ma touches" type of player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want KAT then you want to keep DDR. No point trading young players and picks but then just sideways step and get a star bigman and let DDR walk. It would make sense to lock DDR first and go after Towns or Sabonis. Then use the available cap space to replace those young players with better fits.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want KAT then you want to keep DDR. No point trading young players and picks but then just sideways step and get a star bigman and let DDR walk. It would make sense to lock DDR first and go after Towns or Sabonis. Then use the available cap space to replace those young players with better fits.
    I completely disagree with that. In fact, the best situation for the Spurs is a sign and trade that sends DeRozan to MIN and KAT to the Spurs.

It’s interesting that KAT is coming up in conversations now. I’ve been thinking for a while about how he is one of only 2 or three top 25 players on terrible teams. I can’t help but think even the league itself would want KAT in San Antonio. Another “big” for Pop to coach and for Duncan to work with behind the scenes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    only benefit of bringing in towns would be seeing Jordyn Woods on the sideline tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I completely disagree with that. In fact, the best situation for the Spurs is a sign and trade that sends DeRozan to MIN and KAT to the Spurs.

It’s interesting that KAT is coming up in conversations now. I’ve been thinking for a while about how he is one of only 2 or three top 25 players on terrible teams. I can’t help but think even the league itself would want KAT in San Antonio. Another “big” for Pop to coach and for Duncan to work with behind the scenes.
    There is no way DDR would agree to go to Twolves. It just won't happen and is highly unlikely Twolves would want DDR if they are trading Towns. It makes no sense. If the Spurs were to sign and trade DDR to another team, then the Spurs are only getting 25c for the dollar. Which would be fine. But then to also trade youth and picks to get Towns, then that would be a mistake. Because you would be stepping sideways. You would lose DDR for capsace, then trade 2 to 3 young pieces and picks for Towns. The team just got worse.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no way DDR would agree to go to Twolves. It just won't happen and is highly unlikely Twolves would want DDR if they are trading Towns. It makes no sense. If the Spurs were to sign and trade DDR to another team, then the Spurs are only getting 25c for the dollar. Which would be fine. But then to also trade youth and picks to get Towns, then that would be a mistake. Because you would be stepping sideways. You would lose DDR for capsace, then trade 2 to 3 young pieces and picks for Towns. The team just got worse.
    A trade is unlikely but not impossible. DeRozan might be willing to go if MIN was willing to pay the most. But neither of us are DeRozan so who knows.

It also depends on what trades MIN is getting from other teams. Would they be better than DeRozan and 3 1st? Maybe. But maybe not. (And that’s DeRozan on a contract for several years)

My point was that you don’t have to keep DeRozan.

I’d also disagree with the 25 cents on the dollar comment as well. It just depends on the team. Clippers did a sign and trade with Houston and the Clippers got the better deal in the end.

Hopefully this team does something this summer. Would be nice for the San Antonio area to have a reason to go to Spurs games again. As it stands for me, I don’t go unless the team is playing someone else that I like. This way when they lose, and look terrible, I don’t feel like I wasted my money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Lowry and DDR link back up in NYC. Knicks have the cap space to donor straight up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Lowry and DDR link back up in NYC. Knicks have the cap space to donor straight up.
    I agree that is the most likely scenario..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that is the most likely scenario..
    prayingdog.gif

Thread Information