Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. By today's standards, there's not enough shooting. Dejounte Murray is regarded as a non-shooter and he shoots threes more frequently than Bird, Jordan or Magic, tbh. You put that fivesome into today's league with today's rules and teams would just pack the paint on one end and then pick-and-roll Shaq to death, tbkh.
    Of course a team with that much star power would force the powers that be into changing the rules to accommodate them. The return of hand check! The NBA wouldn't let that group lose in the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nash
    Reggie
    Larry
    Dirk
    Robinson

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For today's game, Da Admiral would be a MUCH better pick than Shaq at the 5, tbh.
    True, but LeBron would be a much better pick than Timmy at the 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably everyone

the point i was making is that modern players usually don't mention td being top five. at least not the most popular modern players.
    He didn't say Tim was top 5. He filled out a team by position. Two different things, best 5 ever and best at position. You couldn't have a great team with the top 5 all time players. You'd be hard pressed to find a team that could beat the Warriors when they were at full strength.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nash
    Reggie
    Larry
    Dirk
    Robinson
    NO Reggie. Where's the defense on that team other than Dave?

Teams have to play at both ends. It's not a shooting contest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NO Reggie. Where's the defense on that team other than Dave?

Teams have to play at both ends. It's not a shooting contest.
    Defense my ass. Nobody stops stars. Dirk put up like 40 on prime Duncan in 06. They score 2 I will score 3. Play zone and make them shoot jumpers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defense my ass. Nobody stops stars. Dirk put up like 40 on prime Duncan in 06. They score 2 I will score 3. Play zone and make them shoot jumpers
    So putting up 40 means jack if your opponent puts up 50. Nash and Dirk on the all time list... played together couldn't do . Nash 0 and forever.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan was rarely paired up against Dirk in that series... T'was defense by committee - mainly Horry and Bowen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan was rarely paired up against Dirk in that series... T'was defense by committee - mainly Horry and Bowen.
    Bc Duncan couldn’t guard Dirk. If he could then he would’ve but he would’ve been in foul trouble the whole game. Dirk got 28 free throws in one of those games. Magic is the most overrated player ever. Dude can’t shoot or defend and he gets all this praise bc he was a winner. Dude had a cupcake conference his entire career. Magic trying to defend a pick n roll is hilarious to me.

I would have young MJ as my guard tbh bc him with a whole buncha players that can space the floor would be deadly. But I went for Reggie just to be a little different bc it’s boring to always have MJ.

Btw these all time teams are glorified all star teams so this whole he doesn’t play defense nonsense is a nonstarter to me. Nobody plays defense in all star games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bc Duncan couldn’t guard Dirk. If he could then he would’ve but he would’ve been in foul trouble the whole game. Dirk got 28 free throws in one of those games. Magic is the most overrated player ever. Dude can’t shoot or defend and he gets all this praise bc he was a winner. Dude had a cupcake conference his entire career. Magic trying to defend a pick n roll is hilarious to me.

I would have young MJ as my guard tbh bc him with a whole buncha players that can space the floor would be deadly. But I went for Reggie just to be a little different bc it’s boring to always have MJ.

Btw these all time teams are glorified all star teams so this whole he doesn’t play defense nonsense is a nonstarter to me. Nobody plays defense in all star games.
    Magic was carried by James Worthy
    There , I said it

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tim could guard Dirk better than Dirk could guard Timmy - that's a fact. And no sane coach would've paired them against each other to avoid foul trouble for either player - that's a fact too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim could guard Dirk better than Dirk could guard Timmy - that's a fact. And no sane coach would've paired them against each other to avoid foul trouble for either player - that's a fact too.
    It’s not who is better to me. I just prefer spacing. Like Hakeem, Tim, and Magic would get in each other’s way. Magic is also a fast break guy and Tim really wasn’t. I was watching the Stockton game winner game vs Houston and the reason the Rockets lost was bc Charles and Hakeem and Drexler all got in each other’s way. It was horrible offense to watch. I agree my defense is not the best but my offense I believe is way better than ty 90s ball. It’s like a combo of the old and the new.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not who is better to me. I just prefer spacing. Like Hakeem, Tim, and Magic would get in each other’s way. Magic is also a fast break guy and Tim really wasn’t. I was watching the Stockton game winner game vs Houston and the reason the Rockets lost was bc Charles and Hakeem and Drexler all got in each other’s way. It was horrible offense to watch. I agree my defense is not the best but my offense I believe is way better than ty 90s ball. It’s like a combo of the old and the new.
    Tim wasn't a fast break guy? The NBA quarterback named Tim Duncan with some of the prettiest full court outlet passes ever?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim wasn't a fast break guy? The NBA quarterback named Tim Duncan with some of the prettiest full court outlet passes ever?
    IKR......TD and Wes Unseld are the 2 best outlet passing big men ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bah have you seen magic Johnson play? He takes the ball from rebound on and runs with it. Yeah Tim can pass the ball to Magic but he better be running his ass off every play bc that’s what the Lakers did. It’s why Worthy worked so well with him bc he was a rim runner. Magic is looking to push it. Then if that doesn’t work he will slow it down and dump it to Kareem (in this case Hakeem).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bah have you seen magic Johnson play? He takes the ball from rebound on and runs with it. Yeah Tim can pass the ball to Magic but he better be running his ass off every play bc that’s what the Lakers did. It’s why Worthy worked so well with him bc he was a rim runner. Magic is looking to push it. Then if that doesn’t work he will slow it down and dump it to Kareem (in this case Hakeem).
    Tim was absolutely a fast break person. Magic was a point guard.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pre-knee duncan was fast as

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan up until the '06-'07 season had pretty good speed. That was the season where started to decline.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I hate reading takes from people that seem to me never watched a younger Tim Duncan. Tim was much quicker and could jump higher than a lot of people think. They either never saw a younger/prime Tim Duncan or their memory is that bad, they only remember the recent stuff (2008 onward).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I hate reading takes from people that seem to me never watched a younger Tim Duncan. Tim was much quicker and could jump higher than a lot of people think. They either never saw a younger/prime Tim Duncan or their memory is that bad, they only remember the recent stuff (2008 onward).
    What drives me nuts is that people don't really understand Duncan's knee injury. The injury didn't effect his athleticism or quickness immediately. The injury didn't start to effect him until his 30's. Wade had the same injury when he was in college and didn't lose his athletic abilities until he hit his 30's. Westbrook had the same injury several years ago and now it's starting to look like he's slowing down. What it really did deprive Duncan of was the ability to play at an MVP level throughout his 30's like we see with Lebron.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan up until the '06-'07 season had pretty good speed. That was the season where started to decline.
    I think the legs were gone by 04. Earlier in his career he used to shoot around 80 percent from the foul line. In 04 was when he started to flatline his free throws, oh god I remember that one Sunday day game against the Iverson-era Sixers where he went like 1-17 from the free throw line and they were lucky to graze the front iron.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All-time team I'd start a season with (assume all players are in their primes)

Starting lineup:

-PG: Nash
    -SG: Curry
    -SF: Thompson
    -PF: James
    -C: Olajuwon

Bench:
    6. -PF/C Duncan (could start depending on matchups)
    7. -SG/PG Jordan (I like him better off the bench than as a starter, since he's more ball-dominant)
    8. -PF/SF Durant (so much versatility)
    9. -C Russell (if needing extra shot blocking and defense, rebounds etc)
    10. -SF/PF Bird (excellent distributor and scorer)
    11. -PF/C Nowitzki (best big man shooter)
    12. -C/PF Robinson (again very versatile player and great defender)
    13. -SF/PF Kawhi Leonard (in case you need extra defense off the bench)

--INACTIVE--

14. -C Wilt Chamberlain (Dead)
    15. -SG Kobe Bryant (Dead)

As head coach of this Team, my game plan would be to begin games by blowing teams off the court with extreme amounts of points in the first 6-7 minutes, then bring in more defensive, ball-controlling reinforcements off the bench to protect and expand the lead.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For today's game, Da Admiral would be a MUCH better pick than Shaq at the 5, tbh.
    +1

He came along 25 years too soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for any era tbh Shaq got away with a lot of bs because of Donaghy referees

Thread Information