Page 87 of 100 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2483
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But when it comes to immigration enforcement, Congress specifically granted that power to the federal government, and it will take Congress to roll that back.

The SCOTUS knows which fights it can pick, and they're certainly not in the business to overrule Congress.
    you said something similar about Dobbs, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you said something similar about Dobbs, tbh
    Dobbs didn't involve a law passed by Congress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dobbs didn't involve a law passed by Congress.
    true, but they made up to get around settled law, which was my point. will to power trumps legality more and more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true, but they made up to get around settled law, which was my point. will to power trumps legality more and more.
    Sure, but point remains that SCOTUS is largely deferential to Congress' intent unless something is plainly uncons utional. There's nothing in the Cons ution about immigration.

This is why establishing federal access and legality to abortion via Congress would be the correct path to take in order to make Dobbs moot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but point remains that SCOTUS is largely deferential to Congress' intent unless something is plainly uncons utional. There's nothing in the Cons ution about immigration.

This is why establishing federal access and legality to abortion via Congress would be the correct path to take in order to make Dobbs moot.
    I quite agree. Pity the Dems couldn't lock in before the 2022 midterms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I quite agree. Pity the Dems couldn't lock in before the 2022 midterms.
    Somewhat related to your point...

The Federalist Society Isn’t Quite Sure About Democracy Anymore

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...inion-00087270

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somewhat related to your point...

The Federalist Society Isn’t Quite Sure About Democracy Anymore

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...inion-00087270
    Saw that. Conservatives expect the courts to deliver the political goods and will go ape of they don't.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what piece of , actually a total bag of

“My commitment to public education has existed throughout my tenure as your governor,” Abbott said in touting the amount of state funding that has increased for public schools since he took office.

But part 2 of his speeches lays out how public schools have gone astray with teachers letting liberal philosophies pervade lesson plans.

“Our children are being taught a radical woke agenda,”

Abbott said to a chorus boos at the rally in Austin.

“Our schools are for education, not indoctrination.”

-- Express-News email

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dallas already put shut to that , Austin should get a clue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AFAIK, the COVID emergency in Texas is still a thing. Abbott hasn't called if off yet, probably because he still needs emergency powers to keep funding potemkin enforcement on the border.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What state policing in Austin looks like so far.

Background:

Complaints by border county residents about more frequent traffic stops are not new. In 2015 and 2016, The Dallas Morning News reported on how rotating state troopers into border regions was reducing traffic enforcement elsewhere and irritating border residents.

Over a 22-month period after DPS surged traffic enforcement, The News found more than 600 people in Starr and Hidalgo counties were stopped 10 or more times. More than 300 were stopped at least 20 times. One person was pulled over 52 times in that time period.
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...mexico-border/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warehousing juveniles in adult prisons to alleviate staffing shortages in juvie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a bad penny always turns up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    commonsense, bipartisan gun law passes, Gov. Abbott ducks.

Texas lawmakers have closed a loophole in state law that allowed people who had serious mental health issues as juveniles to legally purchase firearms.

On Wednesday, the Texas House of Representatives voted 116-28 in favor of a bill that requires courts to report involuntary mental health hospitalizations of juveniles age 16 and older for inclusion in the federal gun background check system. The bill, which had already received unanimous support in the Senate, comes nearly a year after a ProPublica and Texas Tribune investigation revealed a gap in the law that required such reporting for adults but not for juveniles.

The passage of the bipartisan measure, authored by Republican state Sen. Joan Huffman, offers a rare example of gun-related legislation that has cleared the Texas Legislature since last year’s school shooting in Uvalde. It is now headed to Gov. Greg Abbott’s desk. Huffman could not be reached for comment. A spokesperson for Abbott did not immediately respond to an inquiry about whether he supports the bill.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/t...check-loophole

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Joins States Charging High Fees to Register an EV

"Driving an electric vehicle in Texas is soon to become more expensive," reports Gizmodo: Governor Greg Abbott signed a law (SB 505) on May 13 ins uting new fees for registering and owning EVs in the state. Under the bill, electric car owners will have to pay $400 upon registering their vehicle. Then, every subsequent year, EV drivers will have to s out an additional $200. Both of those fees are on top of the cost of the standard annual registration renewal fees, which are $50.75 each year for most passenger cars and trucks.

At least 32 states currently have special electric vehicle registration fees, according to data from the National Conference of State Legislatures. These range from $50 in places like Colorado, Hawaii, and South Dakota to $274 (starting in 2028) in a recently passed piece of Tennessee legislation...

Like many other states that have ins uted EV fees, the reasoning behind the Lone Star State's new law is that electric car drivers don't buy gas. Taxes at the fuel pump are the primary way that most states, Texas included, amass funds for road construction, maintenance, and other driving-related infrastructure.
    The bill's author told a local news station that "with the growing use of EVs, the revenue from the fuel tax is decreasing, which diminishes our ability to fund road improvements for all drivers."

But Gizmodo notes that Texas's gas tax "is among the lowest in the country, at just $0.20 per gallon." (And the average car uses less than 500 gallons a year, according to the American Petroleum Ins ute.)

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Texas Joins States Charging High Fees to Register an EV

"Driving an electric vehicle in Texas is soon to become more expensive," reports Gizmodo: Governor Greg Abbott signed a law (SB 505) on May 13 ins uting new fees for registering and owning EVs in the state. Under the bill, electric car owners will have to pay $400 upon registering their vehicle. Then, every subsequent year, EV drivers will have to s out an additional $200. Both of those fees are on top of the cost of the standard annual registration renewal fees, which are $50.75 each year for most passenger cars and trucks.

At least 32 states currently have special electric vehicle registration fees, according to data from the National Conference of State Legislatures. These range from $50 in places like Colorado, Hawaii, and South Dakota to $274 (starting in 2028) in a recently passed piece of Tennessee legislation...

Like many other states that have ins uted EV fees, the reasoning behind the Lone Star State's new law is that electric car drivers don't buy gas. Taxes at the fuel pump are the primary way that most states, Texas included, amass funds for road construction, maintenance, and other driving-related infrastructure.
    The bill's author told a local news station that "with the growing use of EVs, the revenue from the fuel tax is decreasing, which diminishes our ability to fund road improvements for all drivers."

But Gizmodo notes that Texas's gas tax "is among the lowest in the country, at just $0.20 per gallon." (And the average car uses less than 500 gallons a year, according to the American Petroleum Ins ute.)
    Big government Republicans and their punitive taxation, nothing new here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fees and fines here, god forbid taxes should ever be raised, but point taken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have to pay it every year, it's effectively a tax.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Making EV owners pay their fair share

Wheels

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taxes good now

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I do agree with taxing EV drivers. They use the same roads as everyone else. I'd only change it to be based on consumption rather than a fixed rate. Charge it at the charging stations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas paying a pretty penny to settle immigrants closer to social assistance and the legal path to residency, tbh.

In the statement, Newsom said that he and Attorney General Rob Bonta met with more than a dozen migrants and learned that they were taken from Texas to New Mexico and then flown to Sacramento on a private jet.

"We are working closely with the Mayor's office, along with local and nonprofit partners to ensure the people who have arrived are treated with respect and dignity, and get to their intended destination as they pursue their immigration cases," Newsom's statement read.
    https://www.ksbw.com/article/gov-new...ning/44084655#

Thread Information