Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - This team misses LW4 more than it realizes. The movement and the shooting Lonnie provides is just not replaceable with the players we have available.

- Demar might not have had a great game but he is a key piece to this team to function well. His presence makes the game easier to Murray and White. Plus, I noticed that the runs happened while Demar was on the bench. Aaron Gordon did not play much because Demar did put him in foul trouble even not having a great game.

- The best teams have decoys that can be above average finishers. Demar is the only one that can attract and distract defenses continuously. White and Mills can too but they are not consistent enough.

- The bench needs a spark and that's why I think White should move back to the bench.

- Neither Mills nor Gay are good nor consistent enough to carry the bench load by themselves. Maybe Samanic could be a decent option at the 4, moving KJ to the 2/3. Maybe Vassell could be the 3, improving the shooting, without making our defense suck.

- If Murray could become a decent 3-point shooter... Whith White having bad shooting nights, Murray could be an option too.

- Pop will be always the one I will blame the most. He has enough talent to win more games but he insists on playing the vets even when clearly they are having non impactful nights.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro we play the vets to tank, he's doing the right thing, the youngsters play too, unnecessary thread

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CIA Pop Covert Tanking - CPCT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SpursTalk: Spurs need to tank to get in the lottery! Winning games is pointless!

Also SpursTalk: Why are the Spurs losing games!? This team is awful! Pop needs to be fired!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro we play the vets to tank, he's doing the right thing, the youngsters play too, unnecessary thread
    tank for what??? Exactly what is coming out in the 2021 draft that anyone should tank for? I need names..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie isn't a difference maker like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar Derozan is one of the worst players to ever play for the spurs next to Richard Jefferson. He’s never played winning basket ball. He just does some bull iso that kills the flow. He can’t play D, doesn’t rebound, doesn’t hustle. He melts down when things do go his way. It makes me sick watching him play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar Derozan is one of the worst players to ever play for the spurs next to Richard Jefferson. He’s never played winning basket ball. He just does some bull iso that kills the flow. He can’t play D, doesn’t rebound, doesn’t hustle. He melts down when things do go his way. It makes me sick watching him play.
    Yep-at least considering how much money he makes. Not only no leadership-negative leadership
    Last edited by GAustex; 04-08-2021 at 12:21 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people like you are so in love with Flopovich that you think he’s trying to tank when he been making moves to get them into the playoffs, but is just a bad coach at this point. If he was trying to tank they wouldn’t have signed Dieng

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever someone is out, the talk is how important that person is. The facts are this team is not that good and is showing that they play hard and have some talent, but they are not a playoff team. They aren't the worst team in the league, but they need to keep infusing young talent through the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever someone is out, the talk is how important that person is. The facts are this team is not that good and is showing that they play hard and have some talent, but they are not a playoff team. They aren't the worst team in the league, but they need to keep infusing young talent through the lottery.
    This pretty much.

We were winning and things were looking up but we hit a wall it seems like and being a young team that is not surprising. We have talent but we're missing size/leadership and of course the obvious, a true star. But only a few teams have those anyways. We may have one in our midst but they are not there yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis Bertans played great last night 22 points 6-11 on threes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis Bertans played great last night 22 points 6-11 on threes
    Is that his only good game this year, because they were shopping him at the deadline. He sure put up good numbers in a contract year, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that his only good game this year, because they were shopping him at the deadline. He sure put up good numbers in a contract year, though.
    He’s averaging 11.3 22 17 and 11 last three games I mean he’d be a nice piece instead of Rudy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This pretty much.

We were winning and things were looking up but we hit a wall it seems like and being a young team that is not surprising. We have talent but we're missing size/leadership and of course the obvious, a true star. But only a few teams have those anyways. We may have one in our midst but they are not there yet.
    That's not true. Most teams have a star(s) or at least someone young or youngish to orient an offense around going forward, even if it's not a good one.

This is among the least talented teams in the league (Cavaliers, Pistons, Rockets, Knicks, Thunder, Magic, Wizards) and most of them at least have something going for them (a young star, tons of picks, a glamour market, a blank canvas, etc.)

This team has a bunch of mid 20s role players locked up and nearly $50M in cap space to surround them with just enough talent to remain stuck in purgatory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tank for what??? Exactly what is coming out in the 2021 draft that anyone should tank for? I need names..
    So, you think we have the right ingredients and that star players will want to come here via free agency? I need names. It's via the draft that gets us our best chance to right the ship and positioning matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not true. Most teams have a star(s) or at least someone young or youngish to orient an offense around going forward, even if it's not a good one.

This is among the least talented teams in the league (Cavaliers, Pistons, Rockets, Knicks, Thunder, Magic, Wizards) and most of them at least have something going for them (a young star, tons of picks, a glamour market, a blank canvas, etc.)

This team has a bunch of mid 20s role players locked up and nearly $50M in cap space to surround them with just enough talent to remain stuck in purgatory.
    Don't confuse this post with me defending the Spurs.

But the Knicks, Magic, Pistons, Wizards are just awful examples to use here. Exactly what has "something going for them" done every year they have had those things in the past? It's been 24 years for the Knicks, 11 years for the Magic, 13 years for the Pistons, 7 years for the Wizards.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't confuse this post with me defending the Spurs.

But the Knicks, Magic, Pistons, Wizards are just awful examples to use here. Exactly what has "something going for them" done every year they have had those things in the past? It's been 24 years for the Knicks, 11 years for the Magic, 13 years for the Pistons, 7 years for the Wizards.
    It's always about the past here . . .

Pistons: Blank canvas, high lottery picks upcoming

Knicks: Cap space, glamour market, perception things are trending in the right direction

Magic: High lottery picks upcoming and extra picks

Wizards: Biggest upcoming trade chip in the league, which should also lead to high lottery picks upcoming

What do the Spurs have going for them?
    Last edited by TD 21; 04-08-2021 at 04:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always about the past here . . .

Pistons: Blank canvas, high lottery picks upcoming

Knicks: Cap space, glamour market, perception things are trending in the direction

Magic: High lottery picks upcoming and extra picks

Wizards: Biggest upcoming trade chip in the league, which should also lead to high lottery picks upcoming
    Of course it's about the past. Historical information guides decisions in the future. That's everywhere in business enterprises.

Listen, I understand your stance and respect it. It's not exactly a common one, and I applaud you for that.

I do believe you can't use "glamour market" as a point to compare with the Spurs, that's simply something the Spurs can change unless they move cities. Also, saying that "perception things are trending in the direction" is using the past.

Lastly, the Spurs have as blank as a canvas as anybody with the cap space they will have. I know, I know... they're probably going to "stand pat". But until then, let's not assume they will.

P.S. Who is the biggest trade chip from the Wizards? Beal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SpursTalk: Spurs need to tank to get in the lottery! Winning games is pointless!

Also SpursTalk: Why are the Spurs losing games!? This team is awful! Pop needs to be fired!
    It's like spurstalk has multiple personalities or something

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it's about the past. Historical information guides decisions in the future. That's everywhere in business enterprises.

Listen, I understand your stance and respect it. It's not exactly a common one, and I applaud you for that.

I do believe you can't use "glamour market" as a point to compare with the Spurs, that's simply something the Spurs can change unless they move cities. Also, saying that "perception things are trending in the direction" is using the past.

Lastly, the Spurs have as blank as a canvas as anybody with the cap space they will have. I know, I know... they're probably going to "stand pat". But until then, let's not assume they will.

P.S. Who is the biggest trade chip from the Wizards? Beal?
    Not in professional sports. You're mentioning timelines that have nothing to do with current regimes/situations.

Doesn't matter whether they can change it or not, it's a built in advantage to being in L.A., New York, Miami, etc. and the perception comment matters in glamor markets because the second that becomes reality, they become players for A list free agents.

No, they don't. They've already locked in 3 mid 20s role players, have an aversion to trades unless forced (so there's no reason to think they're not entrenched) and the cap space won't be going to A listers or as a dumping ground for draft capital.

Yeah, Beal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not in professional sports. You're mentioning timelines that have nothing to do with current regimes/situations.

Doesn't matter whether they can change it or not, it's a built in advantage to being in L.A., New York, Miami, etc. and the perception comment matters in glamor markets because the second that becomes reality, they become players for A list free agents.

No they don't. They've already locked in 3 mid 20s role players, have an aversion to trades unless forced (so there's no reason to think they're not entrenched) and the cap space won't be going to A listers or as a dumping ground for draft capital.

Yeah, Beal.
    What do current regimes/ situations have to do with their success? Please clarify if I'm incorrect, but I thought it was your belief that luck drives everything in the NBA.

My point with the glamour market is while those teams you mentioned are benefitted by their location, it's difficult for me to see why the Spurs should be penalized for it as far as their management of the situation.

Beal has flipped the script on his desire to be traded from the Wizards, so I don't believe there is any certainty there. This actually relates to your point about the Spurs and while they have shown aversion, it is my personal preference not to call things in advance before they have taken place. At the rate of how the Spurs are losing as of late and their strong "luck" with their draft selections, I think even you will admit there's a chance they will do something decent with their pick this year.

I say we close this book for now (between you and myself) and revert to this discussion until after the offseason and see where we stand. By then, if the Spurs have not done anything promising (which is completely subjective, mind you), feel free to throw darts my way. The Spurs have never been in the position they will be this offseason, and that to me, is very exciting despite their lack of action in the past. Just my two cents, others are welcome to disagree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do current regimes/ situations have to do with their success? Please clarify if I'm incorrect, but I thought it was your belief that luck drives everything in the NBA.

My point with the glamour market is while those teams you mentioned are benefitted by their location, it's difficult for me to see why the Spurs should be penalized for it as far as their management of the situation.

Beal has flipped the script on his desire to be traded from the Wizards, so I don't believe there is any certainty there. This actually relates to your point about the Spurs and while they have shown aversion, it is my personal preference not to call things in advance before they have taken place. At the rate of how the Spurs are losing as of late and their strong "luck" with their draft selections, I think even you will admit there's a chance they will do something decent with their pick this year.

I say we close this book for now (between you and myself) and revert to this discussion until after the offseason and see where we stand. By then, if the Spurs have not done anything promising (which is completely subjective, mind you), feel free to throw darts my way. The Spurs have never been in the position they will be this offseason, and that to me, is very exciting despite their lack of action in the past. Just my two cents, others are welcome to disagree.
    Mostly, but the direction can change with new regimes and the one many of them are now on gives them a better chance of receiving the requisite luck to build a high upside team.

I never said they should be penalized for it, just that it's an inherent strike against them. That's why it's especially important they don't exacerbate things in other areas.

For now. It's inevitable he'll want out at some point though. In and of itself, a bunch of decent picks gets you nowhere though.

Here's how I expect free agency to go . . .

I'm going to presume there's a better chance than not that Mills and Dieng are re-signed and that DeRozan, Gay and Lyles are almost certainly gone, while Weatherspoon and Bates-Diop probably are too.

Needs and candidates . . .

Shot creation: Fournier, Dinwiddie (P/O).

Volume 3-point shooting: Hardaway Jr., McDermott, Robinson (R), Forbes (P/O), Korkmaz, Galloway, Mykhailiuk (R), Niang.

Starting four/big wing: Collins (RFA), Markkanen (R), Batum, Porter Jr.
    No combination of that is significantly altering their outlook.
    Last edited by TD 21; 04-08-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember some on ST that were drinking the hateraid so much they were like as soon as we get rid of LMA this team will be something to behold...they are barely watchable right now we had a good run now we will see how the rest of the league feels. The Timmay, MVParker, Admiral and Batmanu run was something epic but it is over. If Nephew wasn't such a turd, the run might still be ongoing. That is why I never got the LMA hate had Nephew been a standup guy the run probably would still be going. A motivated nephew and LMA plus the youngsters we have would be a decent team in the west now that the uber talented Dubs era is over, we could go toe to toe with LeBron even with AD. Back to the point the Spurs are getting impossible to watch I am about to drop my league pass no need to pay to watch this product.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like spurstalk has multiple personalities or something
    Multiple personalities who like to and moan all the time, it seems.

Thread Information