Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it doesn't matter , there's been bust as well. we got kawhi at the 15 pick. top pick doesn't guarantee nothing especially if you tank on purpose unless its a player coming out high school.
    so we wait for the front office to catch lightning in a bottle again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so we wait for the front office to catch lightning in a bottle again?
    nope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at pelicans. They got the haul for AD that we dreamed of for Leonard and got the number 1 pick. Yet they are still worst than us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barely missing the playoffs and being stuck with a mediocre draft pick isn’t doing the team any favors either, it can go both ways.
    Also not developing young players when losing the games by playing the vets won't help in the long run either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, on one hand, I get it. It’s a weird kind of mind to root for the team you love—and one that has always consistently won—to lose.

On the other hand, anyone with a brain can look at our roster and say that we absolutely do not—in any way whatsoever—have a star player that will lead us to another championship. So how do we get there? Historically speaking a higher draft pick increases our chances of drafting that type of guy.

So what is worth more, when we are looking back at the 2020-2021 season ten years from now? Winning pointless games that maybe possibly get us into the play-in, only to get absolutely thrashed by a top seed in the West? Or prioritizing getting a higher pick and giving the young guys we’ve spent first round picks on developmental minutes (fat chance of this happening with Pop’s obsession with Rudy Gay)?

This team is the equivalent of a 7-9 NFL team who never sucks enough to launch themselves into position to land a franchise QB, and just wallows year after year in mediocrity. As a lifelong Buffalo Bills fan, I know what that feels like. And it feels exactly like this.
    We won’t wind up any higher than the 11 slot, and those odds are like 2%, so at this point, losing is just losing. We may well stay at 14, and have worse odds than that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1989 - 21 wins and we drafted David Robinson

1997 - 20 wins we drafted the “Timmy Duncan”

The two worst records we had in almost 40 years just happened to occur when two the the best big men were coming out of college - Will wonders never end.

But tanking won’t get us anywhere.
    Robinson was drafted in 1987 after a 28-win season (the 4th worst record that year). He didn’t join the team until 2 years later so they ended up drafting Willie Anderson 10th in 1988 (31 wins, 6th worst record) and Sean Elliott 3rd in 1989 (21 wins, tied for 3rd worst record).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any game where Pop uses DD, Gay, and Patty together in the same unit needs to be an F for him. That’s an automatic 10 pt. run for the other team, and another double digit hole to climb out of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We won’t wind up any higher than the 11 slot, and those odds are like 2%, so at this point, losing is just losing. We may well stay at 14, and have worse odds than that.
    The odds for the #1 overall pick are admittedly not great or worth tanking for, but the odds of a top 4 pick rise pretty significantly from 14th slot (2.4% chance of a top 4) on up to 10th slot (13.9% chance of a top 4).

Plus, rising a few spots in the draft order could make the difference in landing a difference-maker who slips out of the top 10, even if we don't get lucky in the lottery. Really good players sometimes slip into the 10-14th pick range: Sabonis, Donovan Mitc , Bam Adebayo, Michael Porter Jr., SGA, and Devin Booker, to name some recent guys selected in that range.

Thread Information