Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26
    D up! exstatic's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Post Count
    32,181
    I really think its total bull they made the 7th seed play in this mini tournament. It should have been 9 and 10 play for the right to play the 8th seed. That is it.
    7 seed has two opportunities to win one game and be in the playoffs. If they can’t manage that, they don’t deserve to be there.

  2. #27
    Veteran John B's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Post Count
    5,134
    did he improve Dallas 35 games immediately? Read, and understand context.
    Mavericks didn't have a 20-62 record to start. And Doncic didn't have a healthy DRob the following year.
    But if you don't get to be so technical about the 35 turnaround, Doncic is a legitimate "generational" finished product from the get go, which is my point.
    And , if Dallas play their cards right, Doncic could very well get them a ring or two.
    Last edited by John B; 04-12-2021 at 04:07 PM.

  3. #28
    GOATS of a feather the golden era's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Post Count
    42
    7 seed has two opportunities to win one game and be in the playoffs. If they can’t manage that, they don’t deserve to be there.
    Exstatic, I really don't want to argue with you, your one of the best posters on here, I just think the owners got caught up in trying to compensate of the minus 10 games. West is almost 3 full games gap between 7-8. I suspect it will be more at end of season. I just think it really screws a 7 seed to have to compete in a mini tournament when the regular season proved your chops for a real tournament. I still don't quite understand the logic roping in the 7th seed TBH. But ultimately I can't argue against your logic, especially if the team from 7-8 ends up wining a 7 game series.

  4. #29
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Post Count
    7,823
    Six games, with travel, in different cities, and you’d have to give days off between games for each team in the round robin.

    In the current structure, one of 7/8 automatically makes the playoffs, and 9/10 cannot both make the playoffs. Neither can be said of your scenario. It’s HEAVILY stacked towards 7/8, and I can’t see how you view it otherwise.
    Good point about my system allowing 9 and 10 to both get in. That shouldn't be possible. My preferred tweak is to give 7 an automatic win over 10 and 8 an automatic win over 9 in the round robin. This reduces games (from 6 to 4) and travel (now equal to the current system), and doesn't allow both 9 and 10 to get in.

    In the current system, if each game is a coinflip then 7 and 8 each have a 75% chance of getting in, 25% for 9 and 10. With a higher seed win probability of 50% plus 5% for the number of seeds apart, 7 has an 83.0% chance to get in, 8 is 76.5%, 9 is 23.5%, and 10 is 17.0%.

    My newer system makes the probabilities of getting in 81.25% for 7 and 8 compared to 18.75% for 9 and 10 (in the coinflip scenario) and 86.9% for 7, 85.3% for 8, 14.7% for 9, 13.1% for 10 (the 50% + 5% per seed win probability scenario).

    I didn't say the current system isn't heavily stacked in 7/8's favor, only that I wish it were more so, especially when 6 is 100% guaranteed to get in. Again, just my opinion.

  5. #30
    Veteran RC_Drunkford's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Post Count
    7,317
    More games = more money

    that is what this is all about. Adam Silver is trying to turn the NBA into soccer

  6. #31
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Post Count
    2,249
    Can you imagine losing the 6th seed on a tiebreaker?

  7. #32
    6X ST MVP Spurtacular's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Post Count
    76,184
    Interesting that they're doing that. I wouldn't have even known.

  8. #33
    Veteran John B's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Post Count
    5,134
    Besides more money, I don’t know why NBA has to change it. If teams didn’t meet the cut-off, that’s it. What they should fix is having players forming super teams.

  9. #34
    Veteran R. DeMurre's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Post Count
    2,186
    Money is almost always the reason for any change that feels strange. Now 20 out of 30 teams are in the playoffs, generating some excitement for 4 extra teams that otherwise would be calling it a season. It won't generate too much controversy until a team that had to deal with regular season injuries grabs that 9th or 10th spot, and then--finally healthy-- tears through bottom tier teams. For a league dealing with its second consecutive season of diminished profits due to covid, I can understand it.

  10. #35
    Veteran Dejounte's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Post Count
    8,890
    I think 9th will be Spurs and 10th will be Warriors. Will the Spurs be able to beat the Warriors in an elimination game? Not having Wiseman helps since the Spurs struggle against teams with athletic bigs who are lob threats...

  11. #36
    D up! exstatic's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Post Count
    32,181
    I think 9th will be Spurs and 10th will be Warriors. Will the Spurs be able to beat the Warriors in an elimination game? Not having Wiseman helps since the Spurs struggle against teams with athletic bigs who are lob threats...
    Warriors are hard tanking. Kerr is pulling Curry for long stretches, and only puts him back in late, when it’s out of control. If we’re 9 and they’re ten, we should advance to play the 7/8 loser.

  12. #37
    Formerly Spurs21
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Post Count
    412
    Warriors are hard tanking. Kerr is pulling Curry for long stretches, and only puts him back in late, when it’s out of control. If we’re 9 and they’re ten, we should advance to play the 7/8 loser.
    No way they tank a play in game. Curry will single handedly win that match against us.

  13. #38
    D up! exstatic's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Post Count
    32,181
    No way they tank a play in game. Curry will single handedly win that match against us.
    Why would they tank most of the year, and then play their asses off in a game that could ultimately result in them exiting the lottery? If they lose, they’re guaranteed the lottery, which is what they want. If Curry starts raining 3s, Kerr will just pull him like he is now.

  14. #39
    Chopper Ed Helicopter Jones's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Post Count
    12,414
    idk i think its kind of lame that the 7th seed can miss the playoffs b/c of 2 games. usually the 8th 9th seed will have similar records so i do get that but there have been plenty of times where 7th seed is about 5 games up on 8th. And if that were the case this year, to lose your playoffs that you worked all year to earn makes the regular season even more irrelevant.

    If you are to include the 7th seed in this mini playoff, it would make more sense to give complete advantage to them by having them play the 10th seed instead of the 8th seed in that first game. Because technically the 7th and 8th seed are playing tougher opponents in that first game then the 9th and 10th seed are.

    But whatever, they will all be 1st round fodder anyways.
    I'm not a fan of this setup either. Maybe create a play-in tournament for that eighth spot, but even that continues to belittle the point of the regular season. Have 8 and 9 play a two out of three for the right to the eight seed and the opportunity to lose to the 1 seed.

  15. #40
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Post Count
    68
    I totally agree with your points. Best 2 out of 3 for the 8th and 9th seeds but it should be done only if the 9th seed is within 4 games of the 8th seed, otherwise just send the 8th seed to play the 1st seed and get eliminated. As someone mentioned earlier, its about the money generated by the play in games. During this covid season, the NBA is looking for new ways to recoup some lost money.

  16. #41
    6X ST MVP Spurtacular's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Post Count
    76,184
    Why would they tank most of the year, and then play their asses off in a game that could ultimately result in them exiting the lottery? If they lose, they’re guaranteed the lottery, which is what they want. If Curry starts raining 3s, Kerr will just pull him like he is now.
    Even if that's the bare bones of it, I should think they'll be more subtle.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •