Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I assume they're going to do the same thing as last year? like the MLB style. 7 hosts 8, 9 hosts 10, the loser of 7-8 hosts the winner of 9-10?

So the Spurs are far enough embedded in the 7-10 mix they can't fall out or get ahead of that, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fallout still very possible.
    However getting down far enough to get a good lottery pick probably won't happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem is too many teams have worse record and can out tank Spurs. Best hope is to get super lucky in the lottery. But very small chance of that happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team can absolutely get the 11th seed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I assume they're going to do the same thing as last year? like the MLB style. 7 hosts 8, 9 hosts 10, the loser of 7-8 hosts the winner of 9-10?

So the Spurs are far enough embedded in the 7-10 mix they can't fall out or get ahead of that, right?
    Nope. 7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9. 7 and 8 need only win once. 9 and 10 need to beat their opponent twice to advance to the playoffs. Before anyone asks, it’s not 2 out of 3. For 7 and 8, it’s 1 out of ?. For 9 and 10, it’s 2 out of 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. 7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9. 7 and 8 need only win once. 9 and 10 need to beat their opponent twice to advance to the playoffs. Before anyone asks, it’s not 2 out of 3. For 7 and 8, it’s 1 out of ?. For 9 and 10, it’s 2 out of 2.
    Completely wrong. See below:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, not completely. 7 or 8 need only win once.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, not completely. 7 or 8 need only win once.
    And 7 doesn't play 10 unless 7 loses to 8 first and so forth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So a couple of things have to happen for us not to be in the play-in game. 1st the Warriors have to stop tanking. You can't lose by 52 to Toronto, lose to the Wizards, and then barely beat the Rockets and tell me they aren't tanking.

Secondly, Stan Van Gundy will actually learn how to coach again and realize maybe I should actually continue giving my unstoppable player the ball more often and play him as a point forward. Both are doubtful so then it comes down to, can we beat them one time to have a shot at the playoffs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

idk i think its kind of lame that the 7th seed can miss the playoffs b/c of 2 games. usually the 8th 9th seed will have similar records so i do get that but there have been plenty of times where 7th seed is about 5 games up on 8th. And if that were the case this year, to lose your playoffs that you worked all year to earn makes the regular season even more irrelevant.

If you are to include the 7th seed in this mini playoff, it would make more sense to give complete advantage to them by having them play the 10th seed instead of the 8th seed in that first game. Because technically the 7th and 8th seed are playing tougher opponents in that first game then the 9th and 10th seed are.

But whatever, they will all be 1st round fodder anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    idk i think its kind of lame that the 7th seed can miss the playoffs b/c of 2 games. usually the 8th 9th seed will have similar records so i do get that but there have been plenty of times where 7th seed is about 5 games up on 8th. And if that were the case this year, to lose your playoffs that you worked all year to earn makes the regular season even more irrelevant.

If you are to include the 7th seed in this mini playoff, it would make more sense to give complete advantage to them by having them play the 10th seed instead of the 8th seed in that first game. Because technically the 7th and 8th seed are playing tougher opponents in that first game then the 9th and 10th seed are.

But whatever, they will all be 1st round fodder anyways.
    7th seed only needs to win one game in two possible opportunities. If you can’t do that, perhaps you don’t belong in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7th seed only needs to win one game in two possible opportunities. If you can’t do that, perhaps you don’t belong in the playoffs.
    The 7th seed has equal opportunities with the 8th. That is what TDomination is saying is unfair. The 8th seed could beat the 7th and they're already in and vice versa. Whoever loses between 7th and 8th has to face the winner of the two between 9th and 10th. TDomination is saying it shouldn't be that easy for 8th to get in when they're typically the seed that's closer to being out of the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 7th seed has equal opportunities with the 8th. That is what TDomination is saying is unfair. The 8th seed could beat the 7th and they're already in and vice versa. Whoever loses between 7th and 8th has to face the winner of the two between 9th and 10th. TDomination is saying it shouldn't be that easy for 8th to get in when they're typically the seed that's closer to being out of the playoffs.

7th would get home court advantage but yea I get your point. On another perspective, leagues like MLB and NFL are a lot harder to make the playoffs so making the top 6 in each conference instead of 8 making it to a 7-game series playoffs makes the regular season a bit more compe ive I think. Simultaneously, brings in an interesting dynamic in the middle of the pack teams for a shorter play-in tournament. It's pretty creative. Switches things up a bit.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. What I wanted to see instead was a three-game round robin with the 7-10 teams each playing each other once. Higher seed gets home court for every game, best two records get the 7/8 seeds, regular season seed breaks ties (as opposed to head-to-head record in the round robin). Give every possible advantage to #7 and 8, who in normal times would get their playoff spots outright.

That means if 7 or 8 goes 2-1 they are guaranteed a spot. And start each pair of games at the same time to avoid the problem of one team in a game not having anything to play for.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's frustrating how these chronic lottery teams get to keep tanking and stay at the bottom forever. The following teams should be barred for two years from having a lottery pick: Sacramento Kings, Minnesota Timberwolves, and the Washington Wizards. They shouldn't have the right to be enabled to constantly suck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's frustrating how these chronic lottery teams get to keep tanking and stay at the bottom forever. The following teams should be barred for two years from having a lottery pick: Sacramento Kings, Minnesota Timberwolves, and the Washington Wizards. They shouldn't have the right to be enabled to constantly suck.
    This should also be a lesson to all the posters who are actively pushing for a full tank.

For every example of a team who tanks hard and gets a franchise-changer....there are 10 teams who tank hard and still end up stuck in the cellar.

The teams you mentioned have been in the lottery for years with nothing to show. The 76ers wrote the current book on tanking and are left with Embiid and Simmons, and they would deal Ben (a big guard who can't shoot) without blinking an eye if the right deal came around.

New Orleans got Davis who walked, and now have Zion who will probably end up walking too when he can.

Phoenix is just now on the rise after a decade of suckage.

A lot of people seem to think we are going to luck into another Tim Duncan if we can get a top 3 pick...and history has shown those cases are rare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. What I wanted to see instead was a three-game round robin with the 7-10 teams each playing each other once. Higher seed gets home court for every game, best two records get the 7/8 seeds, regular season seed breaks ties (as opposed to head-to-head record in the round robin). Give every possible advantage to #7 and 8, who in normal times would get their playoff spots outright.

That means if 7 or 8 goes 2-1 they are guaranteed a spot. And start each pair of games at the same time to avoid the problem of one team in a game not having anything to play for.
    Too many games. The way it is, there are no more and no less than 3 total games, and the edge is with 7 and 8, as it should be. Quick and fair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This should also be a lesson to all the posters who are actively pushing for a full tank.

For every example of a team who tanks hard and gets a franchise-changer....there are 10 teams who tank hard and still end up stuck in the cellar.

The teams you mentioned have been in the lottery for years with nothing to show. The 76ers wrote the current book on tanking and are left with Embiid and Simmons, and they would deal Ben (a big guard who can't shoot) without blinking an eye if the right deal came around.

New Orleans got Davis who walked, and now have Zion who will probably end up walking too when he can.

Phoenix is just now on the rise after a decade of suckage.

A lot of people seem to think we are going to luck into another Tim Duncan if we can get a top 3 pick...and history has shown those cases are rare.
    There will never be another Tim Duncan or David Robinson in the draft, that finished product that you plug in, and improve by 35+ games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    same goes for 8th seed too though. they only need to win 1 game. not much of an advantage for the 7th seed considering last year mavs were 7 games ahead of the 8th seeded Blazers.

but again in the end it won't matter much for any of those 4 teams as far as championship aspirations are concerned. i just thought adding 7th seed to the play in was dumb.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that going to the lottery does not guarantee success. But the difference between the Kings, Timberwolves, and Wizards and the Spurs is that the Spurs are actually elite at player development. It's drafting and developing talent that is the key to rebuilding this franchise. The better the prospect, the easier to develop into a star.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many games. The way it is, there are no more and no less than 3 total games, and the edge is with 7 and 8, as it should be. Quick and fair.
    My way has 6 total games, which I don't believe is excessive, and in some scenarios one or two of them wouldn't need to be played at all.

I just don't think the current play-in structure gives enough of an advantage to 7/8. This is just a difference of opinion though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My way has 6 total games, which I don't believe is excessive, and in some scenarios one or two of them wouldn't need to be played at all.

I just don't think the current play-in structure gives enough of an advantage to 7/8. This is just a difference of opinion though.
    Six games, with travel, in different cities, and you’d have to give days off between games for each team in the round robin.

In the current structure, one of 7/8 automatically makes the playoffs, and 9/10 cannot both make the playoffs. Neither can be said of your scenario. It’s HEAVILY stacked towards 7/8, and I can’t see how you view it otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will never be another Tim Duncan or David Robinson in the draft, that finished product that you plug in, and improve by 35+ games.
    I don't agree. While I think Doncic is a punk, he is a generational talent and very much a finished product at a very young age.

GOATS of a feather the golden era's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think its total bull they made the 7th seed play in this mini tournament. It should have been 9 and 10 play for the right to play the 8th seed. That is it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't agree. While I think Doncic is a punk, he is a generational talent and very much a finished product at a very young age.
    did he improve Dallas 35 games immediately? Read, and understand context. Both Tim and David improved the Spurs by at least 35 games, and took them to the second round of the playoffs as rookies.

Thread Information