Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, I thought you were being sarcastic at first but you're taking my out of context and going overboard.

I was updating the thread with his latest game. I planned to post every game here that he has from here on out. I wasn't posting a video because I thought he played special. He could have scored 5 points and I still would have posted it. I literally said, "let's keep an eye on this guy". I'm not for or against Lauri. I'm merely posting about him because he is a legitimate FA target with the poor FA pool we have this upcoming this offseason.

So now

you

can

off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, I thought you were being sarcastic at first but you're taking my out of context and going overboard.

I was updating the thread with his latest game. I planned to post every game here that he has from here on out. I wasn't posting a video because I thought he played special. He could have scored 5 points and I still would have posted it. I literally said, "let's keep an eye on this guy". I'm not for or against Lauri. I'm merely posting about him because he is a legitimate FA target with the poor FA pool we have this upcoming this offseason.

So now

you

can

off

He
    might
    be
    a
    legit
    FA
    target
    after
    all.

unquote

Doesn’t sound uncommitted to be. But, go ahead, post every game. This should be interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He
    might
    be
    a
    legit
    FA
    target
    after
    all.

unquote

Doesn’t sound uncommitted to be. But, go ahead, post every game. This should be interesting.
    Read
    the
    first
    this
    thread
    topic
    idiot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He
    might
    be
    a
    legit
    FA
    target
    after
    all.

unquote

Actually the quote was..."He is a legit Free agent target after all"....

That's obviously a reference to the reports that the Spurs are targeting him.... you're taking this in a way that was never said or meant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually the quote was..."He is a legit Free agent target after all"....

That's obviously a reference to the reports that the Spurs are targeting him.... you're taking this in a way that was never said or meant.
    I should have said "might be", because you never know with these sources.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I should have said "might be", because you never know with these sources.
    I think you're quote is accurate...it's a poor FA class and he's one of the top 2 or 3 on the board because of that....So he's a legit FA target. I'm not personally sold on going after him (although the offensive fit is obvious) but he's a legitimate target even in the sources are wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're quote is accurate...it's a poor FA class and he's one of the top 2 or 3 on the board because of that....So he's a legit FA target. I'm not personally sold on going after him (although the offensive fit is obvious) but he's a legitimate target even in the sources are wrong.

I'm on the same boat. I just want to be buckled up and prepare for the possibility that he'll become a Spur. I'm trying to see what the Spurs see (if they are truly interested). While Lauri's ability to stay on perimeter players gives me pause, the capability to play a "twin towers" line-up may be appealing. We saw a glimpse of it against the Suns with Luka and Eubanks. There was a play where a Suns player drove in and Luka and Eubanks were both there to deny it. That's the benefit of having two bigs, I suppose.

Everything else is underwhelming so far... Lauri is pretty damn soft when meeting bigs inside for a bucket that he'll just throw up an ugly shot that has no hope of going in. On the other hand, he moves around screens a lot to get open which is nice... very much like Bertans in that regard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm on the same boat. I just want to be buckled up and prepare for the possibility that he'll become a Spur. I'm trying to see what the Spurs see (if they are truly interested). While Lauri's ability to stay on perimeter players gives me pause, the capability to play a "twin towers" line-up may be appealing. We saw a glimpse of it against the Suns with Luka and Eubanks. There was a play where a Suns player drove in and Luka and Eubanks were both there to deny it. That's the benefit of having two bigs, I suppose.

Everything else is underwhelming so far... Lauri is pretty damn soft when meeting bigs inside for a bucket that he'll just throw up an ugly shot that has no hope of going in. On the other hand, he moves around screens a lot to get open which is nice... very much like Bertans in that regard.
    I'm underwhelmed myself but, here's what I think the Spurs see.... They see a 7' guy that should shoot a high percentage from 3. They also a guy who can put the ball on the the floor against closeouts and get to the rim (he does go hard and tries to dunk on people in those situations). They probably think in a 'no DDR' world Lauri will improve on both of these things that he's already proficient at because of our improved spacing. On Defense they probably think he moves well enough to play within the system and can funnel quicker players into Poeltl (lauri's never had a C that can protect the rim like Poeltl). They also probably think he can do some of what Dieng does as a 5 when Eubanks isn't on the court.

As I'm writing this I'm talking myself into this a little bit I guess.... ultimately though it comes down to the price...I would want to break the bank though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm underwhelmed myself but, here's what I think the Spurs see.... They see a 7' guy that should shoot a high percentage from 3. They also a guy who can put the ball on the the floor against closeouts and get to the rim (he does go hard and tries to dunk on people in those situations). They probably think in a 'no DDR' world Lauri will improve on both of these things that he's already proficient at because of our improved spacing. On Defense they probably think he moves well enough to play within the system and can funnel quicker players into Poeltl (lauri's never had a C that can protect the rim like Poeltl). They also probably think he can do some of what Dieng does as a 5 when Eubanks isn't on the court.

As I'm writing this I'm talking myself into this a little bit I guess.... ultimately though it comes down to the price...I would want to break the bank though.
    Yup, from what I've read, Bulls fans all seem in agreement that he would improve greatly on another team, especially one with a defensive big like the Spurs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chicagobull...ong_offer_for/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, from what I've read, Bulls fans all seem in agreement that he would improve greatly on another team, especially one with a defensive big like the Spurs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chicagobull...ong_offer_for/
    Interesting... I just hope that the Bulls covet DeMar... it would just make it work better for us...we would probably have to eat 1 year of Aminu but if that gets us a better longterm number for Lauri it'd be worth it (and Aminu might actually be a net + here)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone read anything that would indicate Markkanen has any interest in San Antonio? The only thing I can think of is that he chose to go to college in Tucson, which I suppose could be seen as slightly odd for a guy from Finland, and that Tucson and San Antonio have some similarities... but my reading on his free agency is that the Spurs would either have to offer him more money than other teams or make some kind of promise of playing time to lure him to the Spurs, and both scenarios seem unlikely. And even then, the Bulls can match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone read anything that would indicate Markkanen has any interest in San Antonio? The only thing I can think of is that he chose to go to college in Tucson, which I suppose could be seen as slightly odd for a guy from Finland, and that Tucson and San Antonio have some similarities... but my reading on his free agency is that the Spurs would either have to offer him more money than other teams or make some kind of promise of playing time to lure him to the Spurs, and both scenarios seem unlikely. And even then, the Bulls can match.
    I think the Bulls are keen on letting him go. Even if you say they'll match if the offer is low enough, there's no world where both he and the Bulls will be happy with his role-- he's currently coming off the bench and doesn't play well with Vucevic. His value is already low and will continue to drop if he keeps coming off the bench, so no point in keeping him. IMO, the Bulls won't spend another buck on Lauri. We might be surprised by how low of a contract he'll get from teams. I don't see any other team aside from maybe the Mavericks who would be interested. The teams with cap space are crowded with bigs. Plus, the Bulls will be desperate to keep LaVine... not having Lauri on the books gives them room to operate and go after other players who would fit better on their team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs sign this guy, it will be two months tops before Spurstalk hates him and hates the signing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs sign this guy, it will be two months tops before Spurstalk hates him and hates the signing.
    Some of us won’t wait that long.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    15 mil a year was what CHI was offering and 20 mil is his asking. So maybe 18 could get it done considering the fit with CHI with Vucevic is bad enough. He is a high gravity off ball player who is good in spotups, off screen and cuts. A 7ft 240 pound big man who can come off screen and shoot a 3 is pretty rare. Pretty good complement offensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    15 mil a year was what CHI was offering and 20 mil is his asking. So maybe 18 could get it done considering the fit with CHI with Vucevic is bad enough. He is a high gravity off ball player who is good in spotups, off screen and cuts. A 7ft 240 pound big man who can come off screen and shoot a 3 is pretty rare. Pretty good complement offensively.
    Teams will ass rape us on switches, like they did with LMA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post, but it begs the question: Despite the commitments to Murray, White (Johnson and Vassell appear on track to follow suit), their aversion to trades and near $50M in cap space, why would a team without a foundation continue to sink relatively big money into complimentary pieces?

Teams will ass rape us on switches, like they did with LMA.
    Yeah and unlike him, he lacks center length and strength to protect the rim and block out.

In this era, a big who can't credibly play center defensively is not someone worth investing significantly into.

Really, the only physically deficient players who are, are otherworldly offensive types (Curry, Lillard, Irving, etc.).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why you would pay this guy big bucks if you have any confidence in Luka being a rotation NBA player next year.
    I have concerns about Luka’s 3 pt shooting. He hasn’t shot the 3 well in more minutes in the gleague and has been streaky at best in the NBA. His shooting is more of an ideal scenario for him than a real thing that you can count on right now.

If the Spurs were about to move on from Gay I could see them looking at adding another big who can shoot. My concern is whether this guy is really any better than say Trey Lyles... I am too casual to tell you but I am interested in seeing what others have to say.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I have concerns about Luka’s 3 pt shooting. He hasn’t shot the 3 well in more minutes in the gleague and has been streaky at best in the NBA. His shooting is more of an ideal scenario for him than a real thing that you can count on right now.

If the Spurs were about to move on from Gay I could see them looking at adding another big who can shoot. My concern is whether this guy is really any better than say Trey Lyles... I am too casual to tell you but I am interested in seeing what others have to say.
    almost anyone would be better than Trey Lyles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As Gay gets older and slower the Spurs are going to move on from him whether they want to or not.

Markkanen is 7’ tall and he’s shooting .387 from 3pt range, on 6 attempts per game. He’s also shooting .588 from 2pt range on high volume. Every team that has any sense wants him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign Markkanen & draft Wagner or Kispert. Done.

Murray. White
    Vassell. Walker
    Johnson. Wagner/Kispert
    Markkanen. Samanic
    Poeltl. Dieng

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand the concern about Markannen D but i don't understand something :

Spurs fan knows and claims we are a small market , plus we need shooting badly and adding Markannen will be bad ? Spurs will not sign an Aldridge type of player every year...

I repeat at the right price, he would be a nice addition and imo he could be better with a change of situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri Markkanen would be a big get but the only problem is to get him they’ll have to overpay

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, no sure thing that Luka turns out, but he is 21 years old, so he has room to grow and get better. Trey Lyles is at his prime right now. He is unlikely to get better than what he is right now. But to find out how good he can be, he needs minutes. If we are compe ive for a le, it makes sense to play guys like Gay, but since we aren't that good, might as well see if he can get to another level by the end of this year and over the summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri Markkanen would be a big get but the only problem is to get him they’ll have to overpay
    I agree, i think the biggest threat is Chicago but they will not give him too much.

Thread Information