Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question posed was, who are the players the Spurs should sign if either the Spurs aren't real suitors for taking on bad contracts (because they don't want to be) or because those teams with bad contracts don't want to trade with the Spurs for whatever reason.
    I wonder, though, given the current market prices-- do you think Harrison Barnes even qualifies to be included under the umbrella of the "bad contract" label? His remaining salary years are 21/22 at $20.3mil and 22/23 at $18.3mil. I'm not a huge fan, but those numbers aren't all that crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder, though, given the current market prices-- do you think Harrison Barnes even qualifies to be included under the umbrella of the "bad contract" label? His remaining salary years are 21/22 at $20.3mil and 22/23 at $18.3mil. I'm not a huge fan, but those numbers aren't all that crazy.
    Bad, or simply unwanted. They have young mouths to feed. They’re already paying Hield, who’s having an awful season, and Fox is next.

Barnes was on the market at the trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad, or simply unwanted. They have young mouths to feed. They’re already paying Hield, who’s having an awful season, and Fox is next.

Barnes was on the market at the trade deadline.
    I'd say Hields is the worse contract and worse player... but he's probably more untradeable. I guess I'm just thinking that maybe getting an underwhelming player for two years in the absence of other available guys is preferable to signing an underwhelming FA for 4 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone earlier had mentioned (Dejounte?) that Coach Donovan had been experimenting a little with playing Markkanen at SF.
    A product of an imbalanced roster (too many rotational bigs and poor shooting big wings and too few rotational wings), the need to play their best talent in spite of it and Vucevic and him being an untenable 4-5 combination defensively.

Nah. As an experienced, in prime, 3 and D combo forward with some shot creation ability, he'd easily get that in free agency.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. We're so accustomed to watching DeMar takeover ball handling duties and playmaking duties that it's hard for us to imagine how a primarily catch-and-shoot player will do on our offense. Markkanen shoots the ball when he gets it-- that's his role. He's not out there to create plays out of thin air and average a few assists a game. Like I said earlier, Lauri's issue is his decision-making. Sometimes, he forces a shot when not in rhythm. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to teach him to pass the ball if it's not a good look...possibly leading to more assists. Lauri moves so well off the bay ll that it's reminiscent of Bertans. That's who he is. And maybe, he can reach a higher level than Bertans with the way he makes powerful strides to the basket.
    Plus he can drive and post a little bit. Offensively he could be a 20 ppg for sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Pop pretty much kept Bertans in the Dog House his whole career with us so I don’t see him treating Mark... any different

If I am Markk I would have to wonder why was Bertans treated that way and then look at this year with not playing Luka or Lyles at all and he’ll put in Carroll who did not play at all the year before.
    Last edited by BackHome; 04-21-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri would be terrible and well overpaid.

Signing Collins to a max offer sheet would be much better, even if Atlanta matches.

Based on the stellar approach to signings and trades, I'm expecting Lauri on a max deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Pop pretty much kept Bertans in the Dog House his whole career with us so I don’t see him treating Mark... any different

If I am Markk I would have to wonder why was Bertans treated that way and then look at this year with not playing Luka or Lyles at all and he’ll put in Carroll who did not play at all the year before.
    A good point that wasn’t even on my mind. Even the signing of Dieng is a ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I guess I half agree with your post. I think the FO F'd up with the Carroll signing, as well as pursuing Morris.

Lyles doesn't make the team any better, so that one doesn't bother me, and Carroll was toast, and just a bad signing on our part. When he left for the Rockets they basically played him one game and also saw he was fully cooked.

Getting rid of Bertans to attempt to sign a low caliber player like Morris was just a bad move by the FO.

I do think Luka's opportunity is coming. Look at Johnson. He hardly hit the court last year and now he's a starter. I think Luka will see a lot more floor time next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri would be terrible and well overpaid.

Signing Collins to a max offer sheet would be much better, even if Atlanta matches.

Based on the stellar approach to signings and trades, I'm expecting Lauri on a max deal.
    Maxing Collins means no DDR. The numbers won't work unless DDR takes a drastic low offer. Then if that's the case, then no Dieng and Mills. Gay is obviously gone regardless. When you look at that, it means DDR and Gay for Collins.

By going after Lauri, the numbers mean Spurs could still retain DDR, Mills, and Dieng. Therefore the trade is Gay for Lauri, which makes it an automatic upgrade in the roster.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Maxing Collins means no DDR. The numbers won't work unless DDR takes a drastic low offer. Then if that's the case, then no Dieng and Mills. Gay is obviously gone regardless. When you look at that, it means DDR and Gay for Collins.

By going after Lauri, the numbers mean Spurs could still retain DDR, Mills, and Dieng. Therefore the trade is Gay for Lauri, which makes it an automatic upgrade in the roster.
    You say that like it's a bad thing

A Spurs roster without Dumbar and Fatty would make for a much more watchable product and provide more playing time for the youngsters.

Your suggestion is to keep the current roster plus Lauri in place of Rudy. That's a lateral move at best. Spurs will treadmill forever with that group until the vets retire. It's best just to rip the band aid off completely and let the vets go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love to see Pop experiment a little with a line up that includes White, Murray, Vassell, KJ, and Dieng-- that would be five three point shooters who all defend. Will he do it? I doubt it.
    Gotta agree with what others have said here-- if Markkanen & his agent are familiar with Pop's rotations from the past couple of years, they'd have to be at least a little bit worried.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You say that like it's a bad thing

A Spurs roster without Dumbar and Fatty would make for a much more watchable product and provide more playing time for the youngsters.

Your suggestion is to keep the current roster plus Lauri in place of Rudy. That's a lateral move at best. Spurs will treadmill forever with that group until the vets retire. It's best just to rip the band aid off completely and let the vets go.
    No, I'm not saying just add Lauri instead of Gay. I have been very vocal that Murray and White need to be broken up in favour for a center.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine wanting to build around a 31 year old Derozan. You must enjoy watching treadmill teams

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DDR being gone is a benefit.

Seriously, Markannen is trash. I listen to several Bulls podcasts and even the hardcore blind homer ones that insist the bulls are about a year away from a le and about to sweep the leagues in a red tidal wave ... They want Markannen gone. Some don't think he's even worth more than the mle. He's been that frustrating and disappointing.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    So the only thing Spurs need to become a contender is to pair DDR with Lauri Markannen

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR being gone is a benefit.

Seriously, Markannen is trash. I listen to several Bulls podcasts and even the hardcore blind homer ones that insist the bulls are about a year away from a le and about to sweep the leagues in a red tidal wave ... They want Markannen gone. Some don't think he's even worth more than the mle. He's been that frustrating and disappointing.
    Edit addition:

I also don't care about Mills and Dieng.

They're both on the wrong side of 30 and getting worse. Mills is part of the problem with the team. Dieng lost his spot to a 3rd string minimum player. They aren't winning the Spurs anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edit addition:

I also don't care about Mills and Dieng.

They're both on the wrong side of 30 and getting worse. Mills is part of the problem with the team. Dieng lost his spot to a 3rd string minimum player. They aren't winning the Spurs anything.
    Dieng didn't "lose" his spot. He didn't have enough games to show it was his. Eubanks is playing above a "3rd string" level player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not the same salaries so I guess Markkanen would get playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I'm not saying just add Lauri instead of Gay. I have been very vocal that Murray and White need to be broken up in favour for a center.

Good for u

Thread Information