Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    threads like this make me want pop to coach 5-10 more years regardless of the spurs' w-l record, just so i can continue to watch him trigger snowflakes
    Ok... I can see that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're oversimplifying Pops argument, I think his point is that owners are donating to causes their counterintuitive to the players that they employ. I think that is irrefutably true. How can owners claim that they have players and black people's best interest in mind when they consistent back candidates from a party in which their notorious for undermining the rights of black people for the past 60 years?

I just don't see a gray area in there; owners can throw the money at whatever but they shouldn't claim that they have the interest of players or black people in their mind when they really don't.

The issue of supporting police and and believing the black people get mistreated by the police isn't necessarily incompatible, if they are actually trying to do something to improve policing. The issue is that owners aren't necessarily try to do that.

Also, comparing Pop to the worst president in American history is silly. Trump negativity affected the lives of tens of millions with bad policy, Pop is speaking out on social issues. Big difference.
    Owners didn't become owners by being money dumb. They have the players backs to appease them so they can continue this partnership with them and make more money. If the players were hardcore for the "cause" they'd boycott their jobs and maybe even start their own league. I mean that would totally validate what they really mean in that grand scheme of things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the common schemes in voter fraud occurs when a politquera will promise you 500 votes for $1000. Throughout the year, they make friends with the elderly and vote for them without their knowledge. They also provide payouts to nursing home personnel to get access to their patients. This activity is hush, hush but has been going on in Texas for a long time, and in particular, the RGV. I know, because I lost an election by 27 votes because I would not pay up but supposedly my opponent did. Also, I have seen ballot boxes take 3 hours to get to the court house from a school that is 15 minutes away. Just too many shenanigans go on everywhere. You would think something so important would be held as secure as your money in the bank is. Sadly, too many people really don't care one way or another. I ran as a democrat, so don't try to make it just a party issue.

I needs six for my fix. UnWantedTheory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I've said before, I think you're basically a good person who's heart is in the right place but seem to get your information from sources whose hearts aren't in the right place. Like I honestly do believe you're concerned with fraud and if you could waive a magic wand to make it to where every person would have a completely secure means to vote, you'd do so and let the chips fall where they may. In a world where voter ID laws didn't have the very obvious effect of reducing minority turnout, then the very few cases of voter fraud would be more concerning. In the current world, voter fraud doesn't even make up a rounding error. No one's said it had any effect on the GA election or even that it as a whole benefitted either side specifically. So it's a really minor problem.

Election integrity is about the people's confidence in elections rather than the true security. That lack of confidence comes from rhetoric rather than evidence. In terms of data, there's no reason to question this past election. It was fine. Ballots were counted and totaled in an orderly manner. There wasn't any evidence in a large amount of fraud or fraud that particularly biased one group. So on and so on. However, the constant conspiracies and complaints and misunderstandings created an air where folks were more skeptical. That tanked integrity in the same way that the autism association damaged vaccine integrity. The truth is that election integrity doesn't need to be boosted by changing the way voting works. People need to stop clinging to ideas that don't have the evidence to support them.
    Not that it matters. Certain people will always find a way to lean into conspiracies to justify why didn't turn out the way they want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So blacks in other countries don't matter? There's a whole of ty treatment of blacks in Africa bro. China as well along with gays. For that matter, S American countries diss on blacks, Islamic states hate s. Europe has a huge issue with this. Spain treats non Spaniards like . Seems like everyone s on the Orientals.

A lot of people in the US have close ties to their countries so that stuff matters. The US is bar none... the best most tolerant country on Earth. By a mile.
    Again, Pop has been discussing racism and oppression in this country, as have other athletes, so why would they discuss issues that they aren't as familiar with that take place in other countries?

Why give a about these issues in the US? Handle your business and make it big. There's nothing in the way of you doing it. Just get it done, no excuses. Get rich or die trying right?
    Because they ARE issues, why would people not address serious issues in their own country when they have the opportunity to help try and change things for the better?

Owners didn't become owners by being money dumb. They have the players backs to appease them so they can continue this partnership with them and make more money. If the players were hardcore for the "cause" they'd boycott their jobs and maybe even start their own league. I mean that would totally validate what they really mean in that grand scheme of things.

Well duh, also, that's kinda the point I was making. They can donate to whomever but its disingenuous when they try to act like they have their players backs when they're donating to politicians who counter-act their activism.

WNBA players on the Atlanta Dream openly criticized their owner who was a ty senator after she came out against racial protests following George Floyd's death for some reason. NBA players are free to do the same, maybe they should. That's better than them breaking off and forming another league because that would draw backlash as well as legal issues relating to contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's all a grift/virtue signaling parade within the nba from its owners to its players.

The players claim the owners are like slave owners yet your point is dead on. Why don't the players boycott the nba or make their own league then if their cause is that substantial to their being; it's because they make millions playing a kids game and don't want to flip burgers.

It's almost like celebs crying about climate change while flying all over the world in their private jets. Or leaders of BLM claiming to be trained Marxists as they buy million dollar homes in LA in a predominantly white neighborhood.

Grifters/Virtue Signaling re s are everywhere these days!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, Pop has been discussing racism and oppression in this country, as have other athletes, so why would they discuss issues that they aren't as familiar with that take place in other countries?
    You really believe this bs? You think Pop isn't well versed in foreign affairs? You also don't think he knows about the atrocities committed by the CCP that pays him dearly; yeah yeah the Spurs pay him but where does the substantive amount of money the NBA generates come from?

You're clearly making excuses for Pop and downplaying his intellect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like calf tats doesnt own a single item that was manufactured in china. why is it that you think CCP somehow pays Pop? Because they show NBA games in china? the holt's sign pop's checks dummy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really believe this bs? You think Pop isn't well versed in foreign affairs? You also don't think he knows about the atrocities committed by the CCP that pays him dearly; yeah yeah the Spurs pay him but where does the substantive amount of money the NBA generates come from?

You're clearly making excuses for Pop and downplaying his intellect.
    If Pop talked about both China and the U.S and Civil Rights, people here would still be ing. The reason being that they don't really care about either but don't agree with Pop on his political beliefs tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think owners can hear out players complaints on social issues (including giving them a platform, supporting their right to free speech, and agreeing with them where they can agree) like Georgia voting laws or BLM, and still be Republicans and still contribute to Republican candidates and hold Republican views, even if those views conflict with the players' views. I don't think that is inconsistent. We don't live in a black and white world. We are in a two party system and it is normal for someone to agree with things on both platforms and disagree with things on both platforms. It is up to each person to determine for himself or herself what platform best suits their worldview. I think it's silly to think that if you are a Republican you can't agree with some of the things in the BLM movement or whatever other issue. Just like I think Democrats can agree with the BLM movement, but also Back the Blue. To say there is no gray is to say that a person must be an extremist one way or the other. That's why I don't think the owners are disingenuous per se. Now, no one can know what is in someone's heart. So maybe some of them are, but who are we to judge someone's heart that we don't have access to? I mean, you can, but it is just speculation or bias.

But that's just my opinion.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    If Pop talked about both China and the U.S and Civil Rights, people here would still be ing. The reason being that they don't really care about either but don't agree with Pop on his political beliefs tbh.
    Exactly. People like calf tats/ducks/spergtacular like to whine about Pop's political rants but i guarantee if he was parroting Trump's bull they wouldnt say a ing word. And when they dont agree with his point of view, it's immediately "he needs to stfu and worry about coaching his team!" but is he not supposed to be able to have an opinion and express it? are we not supposed to let him say things that dont pertain to his job? if thats the case then why the should anyone listen to anyone's opinions on anything by the same logic calf tats should shut the up and stop talking politics (mainly because he's re ed and doesnt even understand the words and phrases he parrots on here) and focus on drawing his ty tattoos in his ty tattoo shop. maybe ducks should stfu and worry about finishing his hooked on phonics books. maybe Derp should stfu and worry about washing dishes at Olive garden. etc etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gee, this is hard. Trump is a mega-racist who was stupidly doing the bidding of our archrival country and was drilling this country into the dirt while inciting violence and neo-naziism among his followers. A lot of grotesque rich s support Trump and the GOP because they get more money out of it.

Pop is working hard to correct vast inequities that plague us.

Gee, this is so hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. People like calf tats/ducks/spergtacular like to whine about Pop's political rants but i guarantee if he was parroting Trump's bull they wouldnt say a ing word. And when they dont agree with his point of view, it's immediately "he needs to stfu and worry about coaching his team!" but is he not supposed to be able to have an opinion and express it? are we not supposed to let him say things that dont pertain to his job? if thats the case then why the should anyone listen to anyone's opinions on anything by the same logic calf tats should shut the up and stop talking politics (mainly because he's re ed and doesnt even understand the words and phrases he parrots on here) and focus on drawing his ty tattoos in his ty tattoo shop. maybe ducks should stfu and worry about finishing his hooked on phonics books. maybe Derp should stfu and worry about washing dishes at Olive garden. etc etc
    Wait a minute - Calf Tats is a tattoo artist?! how'd I miss that part of the story, makes the godawful tats even ing worse

Don't tell me if it ain't true 'cause I'd rather ride with it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gee, this is hard. Trump is a mega-racist who was stupidly doing the bidding of our archrival country and was drilling this country into the dirt while inciting violence and neo-naziism among his followers. A lot of grotesque rich s support Trump and the GOP because they get more money out of it.

Pop is working hard to correct vast inequities that plague us.

Gee, this is so hard.
    So biden wants to send 4 trillion to Central America
    Why the should we do that with USA legal citizens tax papers money ?
    Why them first instead of USA first since it was USA money from USA legal citizens money

If they do a flat tax everyone would pay their fair share including those not here obeying the USA laws

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/1LKjuC8Ih2Q
    Trump not racist
    He did more on blacks for employment and Hispanics then any president alive

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, so you don't actually need photo ID to get the vaccine in many places (Austin being among them). What you need is proof of appointment, which is a print out of the email or the ability to use your phone to display the email.

Secondly, what you're doing would be like Jim Crowers saying "Why do people think minorities are too incompetent to learn to read or too poor to pay a small tax?" It's not about it being an insurmountable task, or even one the average minority wouldn't be able to cross. It's about setting hurdles at just the right height to disproportionately affect certain groups. It's a reality that state-issued photo IDs are something minority and poor people lack at a higher rate than the rest of the population. That's why the line is at state-issued and not allowed to include student ID's or proof of residency or other things that poor people have at a much higher rate than a driver's license or state ID.
    Sorry Chinook, but the real issue is the hurdle of getting IDs vs the risk of voter fraud. The hurdle of getting a picture ID is very low. I manage a facility that houses individuals with mental health issues who are able to complete the process of obtaining a picture ID. This is an issue that there is widespread support in the country for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry Chinook, but the real issue is the hurdle of getting IDs vs the risk of voter fraud. The hurdle of getting a picture ID is very low. I manage a facility that houses individuals with mental health issues who are able to complete the process of obtaining a picture ID. This is an issue that there is widespread support in the country for.
    The "hurdle" is not high, but who does it trip up at a disproportionate rate? The poll tax was always between $1 and $2 even when the average household income went from about $500 to over $3000 in the 60 or so years that they were en vogue. You were never talking about an unbelieveable amount of money. Yet, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 got rid of them, and it prevented ID laws until it was weakened by the SCOTUS.

Moreover, the hurdle to get a state-issued ID is higher than it is to get many other picture IDs that posters in this thread seem to want to pretend work for voting. This is if the system is working perfectly and not in tandem with voting suppression efforts by having limited hours and an unresponsive offices. Also, I'm gonna be really generous and ignore how you comparing minorities to mentally disabled people can come off. The stupid conservative talking point that opponents to voter ID laws believe that minorities are too incompetent to fill out paperwork needs to go away. It's just a ty attempt at a racial gotcha that doesn't work outside of an echo chamber.

Minorities have a harder time getting IDs because they often lack the time and means to get them (especially if the offices at which they are supposed to get them are purposefully hard to contact), not because they're too dumb. The same is true for why voting in person disproportionately affects them. Because they don't live in a world where the ID is needed for anything else, they don't necessarily see it as being a good use of time like someone who needs to get a driver's license would. If the residents of your home are part of a program where they get the support to fill out the forms, have the free time to go through the hoops and are part of a program that encourages that they get an ID, then it's likely they get IDs at a much higher rate than non-driving residents. And good on your program for helping them.

State IDs need to be free, easily accessible and readily replaceable for them to not be a voting hurdle. Relatively cheap, inconsistent to get and even harder to replace doesn't cut it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can keep saying this and stating it as fact but it just isn't true. I totally want to hear Pop defend himself from criticism for accepting CCP money(maybe not directly from Xi but he knows where those dollars are coming from) and why that's an issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can keep saying this and stating it as fact but it just isn't true. I totally want to hear Pop defend himself from criticism for accepting CCP money(maybe not directly from Xi but he knows where those dollars are coming from) and why that's an issue.
    Bull . It is true. Whenever it issues of civil rights comes up in this country, a specific side comes up with deflective talking points. That's exactly what your doing right now. He was was responding to issues regarding race that has arisen in this country so why would he suddenly talk about China?

If he did talk about China, you'd figure something else to complain about. Its obvious what your doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Election Identification Certificate (EIC)

For general information regarding voting in Texas please see VoteTexas.gov.
    On August 10, 2016, identification requirements for voting in Texas changed. For information regarding required identification for voting in person please visit the Texas Secretary of State.
    Did you know you can schedule an appointment to obtain an Election Identification Certificate (EIC) at your local Driver License office? If you currently hold a Texas Driver License (DL) or Identification (ID) card, these are valid forms of ID for purposes of voting, and you do not need an EIC.
    If you have never had a Texas ID, but need an EIC, please schedule an appointment. If you have ever had a DL or ID card which is now expired and need an EIC, please schedule an appointment for the type of card you currently hold. When you arrive at the DPS office, EICs are given priority. At that time, you will be able to surrender an expired card and apply for an EIC. You may also select “SERVICES NOT LISTED” to schedule an appointment period. Same day or walk in appointments are available for EIC transactions. Please see instructions and required do ents below under “HOW TO APPLY”
    One form of identification that can be used for voting purposes is an Election Identification Certificate (EIC). You may apply for an EIC at no charge. However, if you already have any of the following forms of ID, you are not eligible for an EIC:

• Texas driver license—unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years
    • Texas personal identification card—unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years
    • Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or License to Carry (LTC)—unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years
    • U.S. passport book or card—unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years
    • U.S. Military identification with photo— unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years
    • U.S. Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with photo

Texans can obtain an EIC at:

How to Apply

To apply for an EIC, visit a driver license office and complete an Application for Texas Election Certificate (DL-14C) (PDF) | Application for Texas Election Certificate (Spanish) (DL-14CS) (PDF).
    To qualify for an EIC, you must:

• Bring do entation to the office to verify your U.S. Citizenship
    • Bring do entation to the office to verify your Iden y
    • Be eligible to vote in Texas (Bring your valid voter registration card to the office, or submit a voter registration application through the Texas Department of Public Safety at the office)
    • Be a Texas resident
    • Be 17 years and 10 months or older

The information on the do ents, such as name and date of birth, must all match. If the name is different on each do ent, then the individual must provide do ents that verify a legal name change. If other information on the do ent is different, speak with a License and Permit Specialist for assistance.
    If you are using a name other than what is on your birth certificate, (example: married name), you will be required to show legal do entation of name change. Do ents must be original or certified copy. No photocopies can be accepted.
    Acceptable do ents:

1. Marriage license
    2. Divorce decree
    3. Original or certified copy of a revised birth certificate
    4. Court ordered name change
    5. Department of State Health Services marriage verification letter

Fingerprints are not taken and warrant checks are not conducted on persons applying for an EIC.
    Expiration and Use

An EIC is valid for six years. There is no expiration date for certificates issued to citizens 70 years of age or older.
    Election Identification Certificates may only be used for voting purposes. An EIC will not be accepted to verify iden y when applying for a Texas driver license or ID card.
    For general information regarding voting in Texas please see VoteTexas.gov.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull . It is true. Whenever it issues of civil rights comes up in this country, a specific side comes up with deflective talking points. That's exactly what your doing right now. He was was responding to issues regarding race that has arisen in this country so why would he suddenly talk about China?

If he did talk about China, you'd figure something else to complain about. Its obvious what your doing.
    IDGAF about his politics here while he cashes checks from the CCP(and not literally so don't come at me with your bs semantics game).

And no, I am adamant about the China . the CCP!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's go through these:

Texas driver license—unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years

For those of us who drive, this seems like a ubiquity. However, if you grow up in an urban area, you can easily graduate high school without a license. , I knew adults on the East Coast who didn't have licenses into their 20s. "Rural" people aren't likely to not have this. "Urban" people are more likely to not have it. Pretty obvious why this is problematic.

Texas personal identification card—unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years

This would probably be biased toward inner city folks simply because you can't get one of these and a DL at the same time. The driver's license for people who don't have driver's licenses. The question instantly becomes, "Why would someone get this?" Well if you remember Butt's example, there are folks who might not be allowed to drive a car but will be in programs where proper ID is important. That doesn't really cover a lot of people who'd more naturally not get a driver's license. Right, like you get a license so you can drive, not so you can identify yourself. If you aren't driving, the push to get the ID is way lower. Certainly you CAN use it for some things -- it makes getting a lot of jobs easier. But a high-school or college student who hasn't had to worry about a serious job, or an adult who's either not working or who isn't working a job that asked for one of these? Probably not.

Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or License to Carry (LTC)—unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years

Pretty sure we don't have to talk about who this favors.

U.S. passport book or card—unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years

Ditto -- though in this case it's just higher-class people rather than specifically conservative or rural people

U.S. Military identification with photo— unexpired or expired no more than four (4) years

Also has a political bias, obviously, but more importantly doesn't particularly cover people who wouldn't have a DL. Plenty of poor folks go into the military. But plenty don't.

U.S. Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with photo

Nice that it's included. This isn't a birth certificate -- which is something that people are more likely to have regardless of economic status.

So just to be clear, these aren't just "photo IDs". These are state-issued photo IDs that cost money and involve jumping through hoops. A lot of people are acting like you can use your work or student ID, which would include a larger percentage of the population. What's worse is that people have been conflating those two standards in polls, where the question is asking about photo IDs in general but it's being reported as supporting specific laws. It's as I said -- you can trick people into agreeing to restrict their rights, but the thing about rights is that you can't actually wish them away with public opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDGAF about his politics here while he cashes checks from the CCP(and not literally so don't come at me with your bs semantics game).

And no, I am adamant about the China . the CCP!
    This thread was started because Pop started talking about things that OP and others don't agree with and they used those comments to bash him. You, on the other hand, are bashing him because he doesn't talk about China I find your point to be especially odd but that's whatever.

Also, it isn't semantics to say that he isn't getting paid directly from the China money so, at that pre-emptive deflection.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "hurdle" is not high, but who does it trip up at a disproportionate rate? The poll tax was always between $1 and $2 even when the average household income went from about $500 to over $3000 in the 60 or so years that they were en vogue. You were never talking about an unbelieveable amount of money. Yet, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 got rid of them, and it prevented ID laws until it was weakened by the SCOTUS.

Moreover, the hurdle to get a state-issued ID is higher than it is to get many other picture IDs that posters in this thread seem to want to pretend work for voting. This is if the system is working perfectly and not in tandem with voting suppression efforts by having limited hours and an unresponsive offices. Also, I'm gonna be really generous and ignore how you comparing minorities to mentally disabled people can come off. The stupid conservative talking point that opponents to voter ID laws believe that minorities are too incompetent to fill out paperwork needs to go away. It's just a ty attempt at a racial gotcha that doesn't work outside of an echo chamber.

Minorities have a harder time getting IDs because they often lack the time and means to get them (especially if the offices at which they are supposed to get them are purposefully hard to contact), not because they're too dumb. The same is true for why voting in person disproportionately affects them. Because they don't live in a world where the ID is needed for anything else, they don't necessarily see it as being a good use of time like someone who needs to get a driver's license would. If the residents of your home are part of a program where they get the support to fill out the forms, have the free time to go through the hoops and are part of a program that encourages that they get an ID, then it's likely they get IDs at a much higher rate than non-driving residents. And good on your program for helping them.

State IDs need to be free, easily accessible and readily replaceable for them to not be a voting hurdle. Relatively cheap, inconsistent to get and even harder to replace doesn't cut it.
    Holy crow. You act like minorities are stupid, lazy or incompetent. Not true in any way shape or form. There has to be some level of voting controls to attempt fair elections. Voter ID is a very low bar. Your at ude regarding minority capabilities is akin to those who wrote the Jim Crow laws.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

+1

Thread Information