Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we ignoring DRob carrying scrubs to numerous 55 win seasons? Seems like the revisionist history narrative for LMA has already begun.
    I would say only David Robinson's '93-'94 Spurs roster was as bad as the '17-'18 roster with Kawhi being gone. To Dave's credit he lead that team to 55 wins. Obviously Dave was better than LMA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keywords being "one of." Holding LMA to standards set by champions who were top 10-15 players of all-time is unfair, tbh. No one should argue that LMA belongs in the same paragraph as David Robinson but that doesn't mean what he accomplished can't be appreciated. For what he was, he did about as well as could have fairly been expected.

Spurs fans like to act like the LMA era was an insufferable period of unadulterated torture when, in reality, it'd rank as the high point in the history of about half the franchises in the NBA
    Agreed compare the LMA era to the best era of the Charlotte Hornets,Wolves, and it looks pretty good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hold no ill will towards the guy. The NBA changed on him. He gave us a shot and I still remember how happy I was when we got him. Helped extend the playoff streak. Without him, do we get the record? IDK, but I doubt it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scary to have any heart issues. Smart move honestly.. Just 49 Pts away from 20,000.. I wondered if he needed to stat pad another few years to make the HOF one day..

7 time AS, 5 all NBA selection, no 1st team selections. 19 PTS and 8 Reb for his career.. Didn't win a ring..

Does he make the Hall?
    Probably when he's 50 or 60 years old during a weak class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ty situation for LMA. Obviously his health and future are the most important thing, and I wish him well. Love him or not, he will always be a Longhorns and Spurs alum.

It sounds like this came up pretty suddenly, but I wonder how long this has been on his mind or if it somehow factored into his decision to not finish out the season with the Spurs.

If the guy believed that this may be his last season in the NBA, I can't blame him for trying to get one last shot at a ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could have hit 20k if he’d have been willing to come off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he’s retiring voluntarily, does that nullify the amount owed by the Spurs’ buyout?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. I have heart issues as well so I totally get it. You just don't around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the franchise a solid by not just stealing our money by retiring on our dime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had a cardiac episode when I was in my early 20s and was ing terrifying. is no joke. Feel bad for LMA but this is the correct thing to do for him and his fam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had a cardiac episode when I was in my early 20s and was ing terrifying. is no joke. Feel bad for LMA but this is the correct thing to do for him and his fam.
    Did you know you had a heart condition at the time? Or is that how you found out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you know you had a heart condition at the time? Or is that how you found out
    That's how I found out tbh. Started with shortness of breath after a long day of work and tachycardia over the next few days. I finally went to the hospital after 2 days of tachycardia not letting up. . It was scary as . They kept asking me what drugs on I was on and . I was like I'm afraid to take a Tylenol. I'm not on any ing drugs.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember reading about a high school basketball player that collapsed dead after a game due to an undiagnosed heart issue. Pretty scary that you can drop dead just because you were too healthy to ever need an xray before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember reading about a high school basketball player that collapsed dead after a game due to an undiagnosed heart issue. Pretty scary that you can drop dead just because you were too healthy to ever need an xray.
    That’s a different malady. It’s what Hank Gaithers had, and died from. If LMA had that, he would have been medically retired upon initial diagnosis in Portland.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that stinks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to hear and hope the Nets win it all, so he'll get a ring. It would be a fit ending to a great career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the grief I've given him... It's not so serious as to with I'll on his health... I'm mad that he ever became a spur and glad he is gone... I will not look back in fondness on his time here, but wish him good health and a great life going further

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad LMA got out with his health intact. Congrats on a Hall of Fame career

From a Spurs angle, the end of the LMA era ended about as cleanly as possible. He had a few veiled comments on his way out the door but mostly kept the Spurs in a positive light. Even those comments are primarily based on stubborn confidence in his own game and not really meant as shots at the organization The biggest FA signing in franchise history leaving with a smile on his face was important. If LMA's departure had been messy, the chances of the Spurs ever landing another max free agent would have taken a hit.

LMA giving back that money when he didn't need to should help cement his San Antonio legacy. I know the spoiled Spurs fans view everything as championship-or-bust nowadays but LMA did his part, lived up to expectations and helped extend the winning culture he inherited. He did everything he could and I'm still happy he decided to sign with the Spurs.
    Wonder if and when the Spurs retire his jersery? 2 All NBA selections, 2 or 3 All Star selections on Spurs watch (can't remember). dragged Spurs into the playoffs one year when they probably shouldn't have made. A case can be made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He definitely would’ve had we rang but I think there’s very little chance he gets his jersey retired by the Spurs. Much better chance in Portland tbh. They don’t get All-Star caliber players very often so I think they’ll eventually retire his.
    I think he's a lock in Portland. Spurs are prenty generous with the jersey retirments. He's got a shot, escpecially if Pop is still around to promite the idea of "doing right" by their players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA should not be going up to them rafters unless it’s in Portland.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe this should be a separate thread, but isn't LMA a top 10 player to wear a Spurs uniform?

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of fans may hate to admit it but Kawhi has a better case for having his jersey retired than LMA does.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe this should be a separate thread, but isn't LMA a top 10 player to wear a Spurs uniform?
    He’s better than half the guys up in the rafters, so think it’s pretty clearly a yes.

Now if you include any player to have worn a Spurs jersey (T-Mac, Moses and Dominique) and look at their entire career, that’s a different question.

A lot of fans may hate to admit it but Kawhi has a better case for having his jersey retired than LMA does.
    The Rockets will retire Harden and the Thunder will retire Durant. Neither won a finals MVP with that team. That tells you all you need to know about whether Kawhi deserves his jersey retired. Now will he show up?

Aldridge is borderline but as mentioned above some of the Spurs retired jerseys are less than elite.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs put Kawhi's jersey up in the rafters I'm cancel-culturing the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that’s a plot twist. Thanks LMA for the memories, get well!

Thread Information