Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, I too have an irregular heartbeat that was discovered in my 30s, so I feel bad for the guy.
    i had a heart attack shortly before the 2013 playoffs ... watching the Finals was not easy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well said. If anything, the Nephew episode put a spanner in what could have been good works. People forget the Spurs won 67 games in 2016-17 and were a legit threat before Zaza did his thing.
    I will always believe the Spurs would have won at least 1 le in the span of '15-'19 had Kawhi played out his contract with the Spurs.
    Last edited by daslicer; 04-15-2021 at 10:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C'mon man, he said "I want to thank the Spurs for letting me into the family and giving me 5 fun years"
    Paragraph about Portland. One sentence about SA. Paragraph about Brooklyn, where he’s been for a few days.

He was really nothing more that RJ, part 2. Massive talent, shackled by lack of guts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will always believe the Spurs would have won at least 1 le in the Span for '15-'19 had Kawhi played out his contract with the Spurs.

Easily. They were literally toying with GS until that dirty play happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paragraph about Portland. One sentence about SA. Paragraph about Brooklyn, where he’s been for a few days.

He was really nothing more that RJ, part 2. Massive talent, shackled by lack of guts.
    I also find it weird that he would say about Brooklyn that "you wanted me for me... do what I do." Was that a sly jab on the Spurs? But Pop had him shooting 3's not only to open up lanes, but maybe to prolong his career and not get pounded in the middle.

Either way, I wish him well. Thanks for everything. I thought hadn't nephew jumped ship, he would've gotten a ring or two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily. They were literally toying with GS until that dirty play happened.
    I believed before the Zaza hatchet job happened the Spurs were going to do to the Warriors what the Lakers did to the Spurs in '01. Curry,Durant,Klay,Draymond those guys were on the verge of crying on the bench. If the hatchet job doesn't go down then the Warriors are laughed at for years and Curry-Durant's legacies are completely different. That series still makes me angry even more so than losing to the Lakers in the '00s, or losing to Miami in '13.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone even know he had heart arrhythmia before today?
    I'm pretty sure he sat out games in the past in S.A. related to his heart. But he always came back and played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believed before the Zaza hatchet job happened the Spurs were going to do to the Warriors what the Lakers did to the Spurs in '01. Curry,Durant,Klay,Draymond those guys were on the verge of crying on the bench. If the hatchet job doesn't go down then the Warriors are laughed at for years and Curry-Durant's legacies are completely different. That series still makes me angry even more so than losing to the Lakers in the '00s, or losing to Miami in '13.
    It would've cemented Spurs legacy even more, after the trouncing of the banana boat, then the Monster team Dubs. Yup, no thanks to nephew. you Kawhi!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would've cemented Spurs legacy even more, after the trouncing of the banana boat, then the Monster team Dubs. Yup, no thanks to nephew. you Kawhi!!
    That series set back the league in so many ways. If the Spurs win that series than it deters other guys from forming super teams due to having a fear of embarrassment knowing it's not guaranteed they will win. It also puts an end to this horrible era of jacking up 3 point shooting since the Spurs would have proven you don't have to play that style to win a championship and thus other teams would have followed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appreciate the years LMA. Those first few were very exciting, and outside of a major injury, likely include a le. People really forget how dominant this man was on the offensive end even when teams were doubling and triple teaming him. He was exactly what the spurs needed at the time, and injury and politics just ended what could have been an exciting time for the spurs. That's not on him.

As far as the criticism goes, he wasn't the best passer out of the double, but he definitely wasn't bad. He played with a bunch of role players on the spurs who ran from the ball more than wanted it.

I don't think it was a shot at all in his retirement message. He references the changing game of today's NBA. He had multiple options when he was a free agent, and they all likely had specific roles to play offered. The Nets likely offered him the easiest one of not thinking about it and just playing his game.

He played his role, the front office did not maximize his usage, or anyone's for that matter the past few years. Getting a clone score in Demar who does not complement him at all was not on him either.

Wish him the best and hope he gets a ring anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More crying over lma leaving

bad timing on his tinker,but glad hes going to be ok

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appreciate the years LMA. Those first few were very exciting, and outside of a major injury, likely include a le. People really forget how dominant this man was on the offensive end even when teams were doubling and triple teaming him. He was exactly what the spurs needed at the time, and injury and politics just ended what could have been an exciting time for the spurs. That's not on him.

As far as the criticism goes, he wasn't the best passer out of the double, but he definitely wasn't bad. He played with a bunch of role players on the spurs who ran from the ball more than wanted it.

I don't think it was a shot at all in his retirement message. He references the changing game of today's NBA. He had multiple options when he was a free agent, and they all likely had specific roles to play offered. The Nets likely offered him the easiest one of not thinking about it and just playing his game.

He played his role, the front office did not maximize his usage, or anyone's for that matter the past few years. Getting a clone score in Demar who does not complement him at all was not on him either.

Wish him the best and hope he gets a ring anyway
    I agree with you 100 percent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This changes everything and I take back all my immature comments. I always liked LMA and enjoyed the LMA era in SA. When he agreed to sign in 2015 it was like Christmas for us fans.

I will say, as a Spurs fan the busted contracts or reneged word agreements were tough to digest. Nephew, Morris, and then when LMA appeared to do the same I was displeased.

I think the Spurs look like gold here now with everything revealed. Players can see now that LMA was having heart problems and the Spurs did him a favor by putting him in a position to possibly leave on a high note.

PATFO could've dumped him in ORL or something miserable and I think the league sees now that not only did they do best by their player, but they respected his privacy until he was ready to reveal his health issues on his own terms.

When we complain about staying pat on the trade deadline we need to understand that PATFO 1. won't take a ty deal just to make a move and 2. won't dump a player in a ty situation even if a trade returns something the Spurs want. Wonder how many nice trades the Spurs turned down because, despite an attractive return, it would be miring one of their former players in no man's land.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is sad man, I appreciate LMA. The day we signed up I was over the moon. Hate that his career ended this way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone even know he had heart arrhythmia before today?
    Yes ducks did

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamarcus made the All-star team playing for the Spurs. Really underrated his entire career. Would've been a major asset for the Nets, maybe even the difference maker to get them over the hump.

Does he make the hall of fame?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also find it weird that he would say about Brooklyn that "you wanted me for me... do what I do." Was that a sly jab on the Spurs? But Pop had him shooting 3's not only to open up lanes, but maybe to prolong his career and not get pounded in the middle.

Either way, I wish him well. Thanks for everything. I thought hadn't nephew jumped ship, he would've gotten a ring or two.
    I doubt it was a jab at the Spurs. It could have been a jab at other teams who were recruiting after he was bought out and wanted him to fit a certain role, whereas Brooklyn allowed him to play his game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt it was a jab at the Spurs. It could have been a jab at other teams who were recruiting after he was bought out and wanted him to fit a certain role, whereas Brooklyn allowed him to play his game.
    Agreed. I thought it was also him just giving a jab at the league and media for saying his game was outdated and not suitable for today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C'mon man, he said "I want to thank the Spurs for letting me into the family and giving me 5 fun years"
    Can't expect much from a got who defended Errors for years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish him a healthy retirement.

It’s too bad that the retirement was so sudden. He didn’t get to finish what was looking like a last hurrah for his career anyways. It definitely places his last season in a different light. Could have had a ring if not for Zaza in 2017 or Uncle Dennis in 2018...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should have a night for LMA next year (when everyone can attend).

It's almost a requirement when a borderline HOFer retires in your uni after at least five years of continuous service. (Especially when you were only one of two teams he played for.)

The only question is will it involve the rafters (alas, probably not).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the softest stars in NBA history. The face of the death of Spurs culture. A monster against poor to above average teams, but would always let you down in must-win big games.

Reading this thread is sad, how far have Spurs fans fallen? They used to celebrate les, now they’re talking about how grateful they are that a man simply chose to be on their team, ignoring that he asked for a trade because he wasn’t getting enough touches on a WCFs team

The Nets had little chance of winning a le with Aldridge, he’s as cancerous as it gets on an NBA team. Blessing in disguise for them. Smart move by him, though, shouldn’t with the heart when you can comfortably retire with generational wealth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the idiots here who kept criticizing him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should have a night for LMA next year (when everyone can attend).

It's almost a requirement when a borderline HOFer retires in your uni after at least five years of continuous service. (Especially when you were only one of two teams he played for.)

The only question is will it involve the rafters (alas, probably not).
    He obviously won't have his number retired in San Antonio when they "unretired" it, so he could wear the #12. He'll likely have his number retired by Portland and will be a borderline HOF candidate.

He played for three teams (Trail Blazers, Spurs & Nets) not just two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that it really matters, but unfortunately he just missed out on 20k. If the HOF standards were what they should be, he'd just miss. But given what they are, he should just make.

Glad LMA got out with his health intact. Congrats on a Hall of Fame career

From a Spurs angle, the end of the LMA era ended about as cleanly as possible. He had a few veiled comments on his way out the door but mostly kept the Spurs in a positive light. Even those comments are primarily based on stubborn confidence in his own game and not really meant as shots at the organization The biggest FA signing in franchise history leaving with a smile on his face was important. If LMA's departure had been messy, the chances of the Spurs ever landing another max free agent would have taken a hit.

LMA giving back that money when he didn't need to should help cement his San Antonio legacy. I know the spoiled Spurs fans view everything as championship-or-bust nowadays but LMA did his part, lived up to expectations and helped extend the winning culture he inherited. He did everything he could and I'm still happy he decided to sign with the Spurs.
    Probably (obviously not definitively since we're not in his head) a great point . . . but the usual apologist bit towards the end downgraded this from a great to merely good post. Still a rarity for you.

I wish him a healthy retirement.

It’s too bad that the retirement was so sudden. He didn’t get to finish what was looking like a last hurrah for his career anyways. It definitely places his last season in a different light. Could have had a ring if not for Zaza in 2017 or Uncle Dennis in 2018...
    '19 Would have been their best chance. In fact, health willing they probably would have rung that season and his career would be viewed in the light Lowry's is unfairly viewed in now.

Thread Information