Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are his chances? I thought he needed to stick around and stat pad a few more years, to reach well over 20,000 points for his career.. He retires just 49 pts shy of the mark.

He retires a 7 time AS, 5 All NBA selections (No 1st team selections) 19 PTS, 8 Reb for his career. His 4 best seasons in Portland he was 21/8, 21/9, 23/11 and 23/10. He also was 23/9 and 21/9 for the Spurs. He was a very durable, mostly healthy player. Never played in the finals but in 9 postseasons for his career, he was 21/9. The argument against him would be he is just shy of certain benchmark stats, and no ring. I say he is borderline and may get in eventually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say about 69%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think he deserves it but my opinion don’t count.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think he deserves it but my opinion don’t count.
    I would say no for my personal HOF.. But when you got players like Hill and T-Mac in, once dominant but mostly injury plagued careers who knows?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, he's an absolute lock. Not only due to the achievements and accolades he amassed during his career, and the ridiculously low standards of the Basketball HoF, but also plainly because of his early retirement. Players that experience such traumatic events are usually seen in a much better light than if they'd just faded out into the background and retired; the same way Kobe's legacy got a massive boost after his untimely death. Maybe the real question would be - is he a first ballot HoF? What class would he be in, and against what compe ion?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball-reference calculates his HoF chances at 50%. That's probably fair, tbh. I think he'll get in eventually but not on the first ballot. If players like Chris Mullin, Mitch Richmond and Reggie Miller are in the Hall of Fame, there's really not an argument that Aldridge shouldn't be in. He had a better career than all three of those guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball-reference has a formula they use, and he’s basically a coin flip, just a smudge over 50%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball-reference calculates his HoF chances at 50%. That's probably fair, tbh. I think he'll get in eventually but not on the first ballot. If players like Chris Mullin, Mitch Richmond and Reggie Miller are in the Hall of Fame, there's really not an argument that Aldridge shouldn't be in. He had a better career than all three of those guys.
    Reggie got in mostly due to his overrated status as a great clutch player in the playoffs.. Knicks/Pacers rivalry, had a few huge moments. But he had tons of playoff flubs as well, game 7 against the Bulls in 98 he might as well have stayed at the Hotel.. Took 1 shot in the 4th QTR..

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, he's an absolute lock. Not only due to the achievements and accolades he amassed during his career, and the ridiculously low standards of the Basketball HoF, but also plainly because of his early retirement. Players that experience such traumatic events are usually seen in a much better light than if they'd just faded out into the background and retired; the same way Kobe's legacy got a massive boost after his untimely death. Maybe the real question would be - is he a first ballot HoF? What class would he be in, and against what compe ion?
    Do you have a more borderline example of this? I see your point, but Kobe was going to be first-ballot whether the crash happened or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if it was football then no but everyone gets in the basketball hall of fame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if it was football then no but everyone gets in the basketball hall of fame.
    Baseball very little chance either.. I am NOT a fan of the Basketball HOF making it too easy to make the Hall.. Kind of Makes Timmy going in along with Kobe, and KG less significant..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baseball very little chance either.. I am NOT a fan of the Basketball HOF making it too easy to make the Hall.. Kind of Makes Timmy going in along with Kobe, and KG less significant..
    They should just make an NBA Hall of Fame and then some hard rules for it like Baseball has done. 7-8 time all star is the bar. If you make 7 all nba 1 or 2nd team. If you average like 12 rebounds a game and have 2 DPOY then you're in. I haven't really thought too much about this but like T-Mac (who I loved as a player), Grant Hill, and Chris Webber should not make the Hall of Fame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should just make an NBA Hall of Fame and then some hard rules for it like Baseball has done. 7-8 time all star is the bar. If you make 7 all nba 1 or 2nd team. If you average like 12 rebounds a game and have 2 DPOY then you're in. I haven't really thought too much about this but like T-Mac (who I loved as a player), Grant Hill, and Chris Webber should not make the Hall of Fame.
    Pretty much agree.. I don't know how T-Mac dealt with nothing but criticism over his career in his prime over playoff failures, then spent the whole 2nd half of his career injured and made the Hall? Grant Hill. Great NBA player for about 6 years... Very popular among players and writers it seems. But Then he spent the next decade injured.. Neither are HOF players IMO..

BTW if Webber gets in, they have got to be ing Kidding..
    Last edited by dbreiden83080; 04-16-2021 at 04:17 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't it extremely rare for players who haven't made at least 5 all-stars not to make it? I think he'll get in tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he'll make it in. A ring from the Nets should help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watered down award.

Who picks anyways? Media dumb s?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His numbers should make him a HOF player, but he was never really loved by the media, so I could see him getting snubbed a few times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His numbers should make him a HOF player, but he was never really loved by the media, so I could see him getting snubbed a few times.
    Career was largely under the radar, and he retires without a ring.. I could see him missing altogether, or getting the Nod way down the road..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Career was largely under the radar, and he retires without a ring.. I could see him missing altogether, or getting the Nod way down the road..
    For comparisons sake, Chuck Barkley.

IMO Barkley >>>>> Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s basically the poster child for “on the cusp.” He’ll likely get in eventually, simply cause the Basketball HOF let’s everyone in, but certainly won’t be First Ballot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He walks in. He's a lock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For comparisons sake, Chuck Barkley.

IMO Barkley >>>>> Aldridge.
    Barkley was one of the best players of his era..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ralph Sampson and Chris Mullin are there. Ralph Sampson had 3 good full seasons in his whole career before the injuries started. Every time someone starts a thread talking about Melo or another player isn't deserving of the HOF, I just simply remind them of Ralph Sampson being in the Hall of fame. Now they may have included his college career because he's one of the greatest college players ever, but if that's the case, then hank Gathers and Lionel Simmons should be in the hall of fame too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barkley was one of the best players of his era..
    Which is part of what HOF should be.

But let the media b.s. continue.
    I'm trying to look up who in the selects the members. So far article says "super secret group of 9"
    WTF is that?

Anyway with ESPN naming Bruce Jender Sportsman of the year, Kirby Bryant doing All Star teams after playing 7 games and shooting 28%......if Aldridge get in...whatever.
    He certainly had a decent career and most importantly his ticker did't go out and he gets to walk away as a multi multi millionaire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have a more borderline example of this? I see your point, but Kobe was going to be first-ballot whether the crash happened or not.
    Good question - I actually don't, because I wasn't specifically talking about HoF chances. Of course Kobe was gonna be first ballot - I was more talking about how his "status", his ranking in GOAT arguments, the way people look at his game and history, were all affected due to his untimely death, giving him an "unfair" or unearned edge over players who didn't meet such tragic fate. In a weird way, it's good that I can't think of other examples, luckily that sort of thing doesn't happen too often....

Thread Information