Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. If they won by 4, that’s unsustainable, but not 26. 26 isn’t a fluke. There’s a lot of leeway there to not shoot as well, and still win. We didn’t win this game because we shot well, we won this game because we hel PHO to 85 ing points. The blowout was just frosting on top.
    How could a shorthanded, mediocre team playing it's 5th game in 7 nights, destroying one of the league's best, be anything but an outlier?

Seeing as how the Cavaliers rank 30th with 103.8 ppg, 85 is obviously unsustainable too.

Improving the defense and further diversifying the offense won't offset a lack of firepower.

We have 103 offensive rating without DDR, so he has a point that's good for 30th in the league. Our offense would be bottom of the league without him, defense would be better though.
    Apologists/homers hate those pesky little things called facts. It doesn't jive with the "culture"/"system" mystique/schtick they've been brainwashed into believing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wonder if they would do "back-up center by committee" next year if Dieng decides to re-sign. If Eubanks develops further as a player, he's not a bad piece. Combine the salary of all three and that position must be the cheapest in the league yet very serviceable. I hope the remaining salary allocation can go to very talented players at the other positions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wonder if they would do "back-up center by committee" next year if Dieng decides to re-sign. If Eubanks develops further as a player, he's not a bad piece. Combine the salary of all three and that position must be the cheapest in the league yet very serviceable. I hope the remaining salary allocation can go to very talented players at the other positions.
    That's probably their plan, but getting Dieng to buy-in might not be so easy. Then again, if they're willing to pay him top dollar (2/$10M?), that might sway him.

I'd still play Dieng ahead of Eubanks though (even post DeRozan). They need all the shooting/spacing they can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White, Murray and Johnson combined to shoot over 50 percent from three. That's basically the make-or-break stat for the Spurs. Those guys normally shoot in the low-to-mid 30s, and that's not good enough. It's a huge part of why the offense looks terrible without DeRozan a lot of the time. He can't shoot either, but he's actually significantly better at scoring than the other guards on the team. "The ball not sticking" isn't a good metric in or of itself. That has to lead to the team getting better possessions. For all the DeRozan gets from being micro-analyzed by the folks here, having him take a shot is one of the better ways for a possession to end this year. Walker's the only rotation player who turns his touches into point at a higher rate, and Mills is the only other person who's close to them.

The Spurs have drubbed teams and been drubbed by teams just like last night in situations that ended up meaning nothing for the team's long-term trajectory. Right now, the Spurs' lack of talent seems pretty apparent. After a couple of good (but not great) months, the Spurs defense is actually worse than it was at the beginning on the season relative to rest of the league. Their offense is only held together by an extremely low turnover rate and a decent rate at getting to the line. Even the worst teams or injured teams can hang with SA and even come back on them. With DeRozan, they'd be a clear lottery team. While that's what a lot of fans want, that's a separate argument than saying the team is better without DeRozan. They're trending to be closer to the team they were last year rather than that bubble mirage.

That all said, I'm happy with the win. I just think it says way more about the Suns, who don't really seem to have the realized talent to be anywhere near their record. If they play anyone but Memphis in the first round, I'd expect them to get flipped.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White, Murray and Johnson combined to shoot over 50 percent from three. That's basically the make-or-break stat for the Spurs. Those guys normally shoot in the low-to-mid 30s, and that's not good enough. It's a huge part of why the offense looks terrible without DeRozan a lot of the time. He can't shoot either, but he's actually significantly better at scoring than the other guards on the team. "The ball not sticking" isn't a good metric in or of itself. That has to lead to the team getting better possessions. For all the DeRozan gets from being micro-analyzed by the folks here, having him take a shot is one of the better ways for a possession to end this year. Walker's the only rotation player who turns his touches into point at a higher rate, and Mills is the only other person who's close to them.

The Spurs have drubbed teams and been drubbed by teams just like last night in situations that ended up meaning nothing for the team's long-term trajectory. Right now, the Spurs' lack of talent seems pretty apparent. After a couple of good (but not great) months, the Spurs defense is actually worse than it was at the beginning on the season relative to rest of the league. Their offense is only held together by an extremely low turnover rate and a decent rate at getting to the line. Even the worst teams or injured teams can hang with SA and even come back on them. With DeRozan, they'd be a clear lottery team. While that's what a lot of fans want, that's a separate argument than saying the team is better without DeRozan. They're trending to be closer to the team they were last year rather than that bubble mirage.

That all said, I'm happy with the win. I just think it says way more about the Suns, who don't really seem to have the realized talent to be anywhere near their record. If they play anyone but Memphis in the first round, I'd expect them to get flipped.
    As I've said ad nauseam. But the apologists/homers like reading into outlier games that suit their fantasy while excusing all the rest that don't.

They also like to conflate saying the youth isn't and more than likely won't be nearly good enough collectively with saying they suck individually (or that outperforming their draft slot has any bearing on that).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just my opinion: there's simply not enough sample data to say one way or the other in regards to the team being worse without DeMar. The team is 4-1 without him and with Derrick healthy. While that's an oversimplification of things, it also shows they're not a complete wreck without him. I'm not saying the team is complete without DeMar; in fact, I've said for a while the team needs a playmaker + shot creator after he's gone moreso than the need for a reliable stretch four.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like an interesting game. Thanks for the reviews.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are reading way too much into a small sample size and though an entertaining and impressive performance, in retrospect a law of averages game.

Since this was a one off, many were in for increased minutes/usage and because they're mostly new to that, there's an excitement that comes with it that wouldn't be sustainable if it were a constant.

I want DeRozan gone as much as anyone, but if he's not replaced with a creator of some degree, barring a quantum leap from one of the youth, they'll be a candidate for worst offense in the league next season.

This

Just thinking the spurs win because of derozan is insane. If he was not a passer or our best passer okay but that's not the case.

Playing more Vassell instead of Patty is a more reliable explanation. Making our shots was another, Phoenix playing bad also...

I will never understand the hate on Derozan here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep saying it but this team would have at least 7 or 8 more wins right now without Rudy ,and Mills and even to a less extent DDR .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This

Just thinking the spurs win because of derozan is insane. If he was not a passer or our best passer okay but that's not the case.

Playing more Vassell instead of Patty is a more reliable explanation. Making our shots was another, Phoenix playing bad also...

I will never understand the hate on Derozan here.
    Exactly. Spurs are a shooting 4 away from being a good team. And they desperately need a shooting 2 at the expense of White. Spurs would have more pieces to fill if DDR leaves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's mandatory if you post a D2B video, you have to post the video description:
    I am a blank slate when it comes to the topic of Devin Vassell. I know he's a rookie, and I know Spurs fans like him, but I don't have any opinions of my own about how good he is or his play style. The Spurs are kinda low on my list of teams to watch (mainly because of how they don't have Marco Belinelli anymore), so I haven't seen much of him. This is my first real taste, but to be honest, my video-making process is so streamlined and perfect that I don't end up seeing much actual gameplay while executing it. I could watch this video and the only thing I would recognize would be his dunk.

My blank-slate-ness means that I am currently very impressionable to comments left below this video. If some Spurs fan (or even someone pretending to be a Spurs fan), makes some overwhelmingly positive remarks about Vassell, that's going to color my opinion of him basically for all time, and it would take years of negative comments to reverse that. It works in the other direction too. All it takes is a single San Antonio resident to say "Vassell has been disappointing me this year" for me to think he's a bust for the rest of eternity. Preferably I would watch some film and make some opinions for myself, but this is 2021, and in 2021, people don't form opinions, they have pre-formed opinions given to them by social media.

So be careful, people. I still read all the comments that you guys make (even I don't respond to them), so it might be better for you all to just to talk about stuff that isn't Vassell-related, lest you corrupt my brain. Kittens are a possible topic. Puppies? Sure. Other cute animals of a small size? Yes please. You could also talk about Gregg Popovich all you want, because my opinion on him is fully-formed: that he's a crotchety fraud of a coach who isn't half as funny as he thinks he is and thinks he can do whatever he wants because he lucked into a bunch of HOFers that would've won multiple les with any random meatball as the coach.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with you but can we all try to remember.. its the old man that keeps overplaying him. I think Patty when playing limited mins where instant offense is needed or high energy defense against midget guards - would be the ideal tonic for the team.
    Patty is fine for about 15 minutes per game, and/or when other teams are playing a close in zone. What's not working is when he is on the floor more than 20 minutes and/or with another questionable defender. Patty isn't a good defender, he is not horrible when he can afford to burn mad energy on defense, otherwise he's just to small against many match-ups. Against second units, against ad-hoc line-ups he's not horrid. When he can be a bit hidden it's fine the offense and the try hard make up for the size and so-so instincts.The problem is that you can't really put a pair of subpar defenders out at the same time and hide both. DeRozen being an average defender at best makes him hard to pair with Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar isn’t playing the same way as he did to start the season on Offense. Like many have said, you put DDR off ball now and you totally negate his Offensive impact.

Have a look at his 3 PT A P/G by month...

December
    4 Games - 2.3 Making 1 a game - 44.4%

Jan.
    14 games - 1.9 Making .6 a game - 34.6%

Feb.
    8 games - 1.8 Making .4 a game - 21.4%

March
    12 games - .9 Making .2 a game - 18.2%

April
    9 games (to date) - .4 Making 0 a game - 0%

He’s taken a combined 15 3s through March - April, Making 2 total.

There’s more to the numbers than 3s obviously but that should give you pause...

Joel Embiid has 7 games for the month of April since return from injury, he’s shooting 3.7 Per game - Making .9 - 23.1%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre didn't jump Mills for the starter role, when one of Murray or White were out.

Vassell hasn't either, except that one game where we were severely undermanned.
    Whatever ... I doubt putting Samanic in the SL now is meant to prepare him for that future spot ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST: Play the young guys!!!

Also ST: you must be crazy if you don’t want to keep a guy who’s game is antiquated, who pounds the air out of the ball, and who’s consuming 34 minutes a night, and is likely leading us to our second straight lottery as the franchise featured player.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great game. I’m curious which coach motivated them to play well because somethings definitely seemed different. Everyone was pumped, well, except Luka. Lol.

I love Yak but he still needs to be more assertive on offense. Resigning Dieng and trading Yak to move up has to be a question Wright needs to consider and have an answer for. Not saying he has to trade Yak, but someone from this team needs to be traded to bring cohesion to the roster.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST: Play the young guys!!!

Also ST: you must be crazy if you don’t want to keep a guy who’s game is antiquated, who pounds the air out of the ball, and who’s consuming 34 minutes a night, and is likely leading us to our second straight lottery as the franchise featured player.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Eubanks has a decent ceiling to move towards. His issue is experience and confidence. Yak’s is confidence. But with Eubanks, he has post moves and a jump shot he is developing. Yak doesn’t even try to do that much in a game typically, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope Detroit doesn’t sign Eubanks for various reasons. He’s a little nasty and it’s awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great game. I’m curious which coach motivated them to play well because somethings definitely seemed different. Everyone was pumped, well, except Luka. Lol.

I love Yak but he still needs to be more assertive on offense. Resigning Dieng and trading Yak to move up has to be a question Wright needs to consider and have an answer for. Not saying he has to trade Yak, but someone from this team needs to be traded to bring cohesion to the roster.
    Eubanks has a decent ceiling to move towards. His issue is experience and confidence. Yak’s is confidence. But with Eubanks, he has post moves and a jump shot he is developing. Yak doesn’t even try to do that much in a game typically, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope Detroit doesn’t sign Eubanks for various reasons. He’s a little nasty and it’s awesome.
    I don't think this should be a matter of Yak vs Eubanks. There's room for all three centers. The team suffers more overall when there's one competent big out than when we lose a guard or wing out due to injury. We saw plenty of this when Aldridge was out and Eubanks was nowhere near as competent as he is now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is pretty much pushing his ceiling right now, but he could always prove me wrong. This is the first time in his career he is getting a legit shot at an NBA rotation.

Still think he's best served as a third-string big filling that Aron Baynes role when needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You were much too kind to Samanich. He was a "nothing" out there after getting the start. He played more than a quarter and produced one blocked shot and one assist. No points, no rebounds. On one play, he stepped out of bounds when he got out-muscled by Booker. Booker! He needs to get stronger & tougher in the summer. Maybe then he will deserve time on the floor. Right now, I'll take an experienced vet over him any day.

Thread Information